Idea .

Does the crime ridden town have any relevance to the story?

What is the District? Another town? A Truman show style bubble? A concrete pit?

Do you have a good reason why this is happening? You don't need to tell people what it is but you definitely need to know.

Is this some kind of mystery to solve or is there something specific the characters need to achieve? Is it an arena combat thing?

This is kinda an interest check imo ... just one where you'd be "co-GMs wanted"

I am sure if you make an interest check there will be people interested in joining. Give it some time.

And even if it does not work out, you can always come here, show us your rp and ask help improving it.

---

My advice would be to be to make sure you have something for your players to do.

You say "things (will) start happening" but it would be good to describe what things. Will they be fighting monsters? Will they be jorneying this "District" ? If so what is this place like?

No need to go into a lot of detail as long as you give a clear picture.

This is kinda an interest check imo ... just one where you'd be "co-GMs wanted"
Interest check for an interest check? Hmm...

I have an idea, I'm just stating the basic summary of it at the moment to see if it does spark some interest. I have a whole idea planned out, from start to end(whatever that is considered). To answer some of these questions, it does have a somewhat mystery side to it

1:The town has relevant to the story through explanation from a villain( or villains, unsure how far this RP would go here, so for now singular) that will serve as kind of the 'explain things that may seem a bit confusing for Rpers if needed' kind of deal but also the thing they will need to avoid. A simple sentence to explain a bit better is to say. The town is where the teens will come from and this will be like the focus of like the 'problem' that this RP will dive into mostly.

2:The District is where the RP will start, the part about the town is just like a little common background for the characters. It's basically a prison in a sense but has many different elements to it.

3: Yes, there is a reason but that's where the mystery part kind of kicks in of course.

4: the idea of it is to see where you fall, either your character wants to just escape(Which I have ideas for that if someone does that and I know how to keep it interesting), or they want to escape and figure out why this happened and what the purpose of this is? or even they become loyal. All of these have smaller plans I do plan on doing if the person who wants to do one of these, I know how to keep people on their toes to say.

5: Like I stated in 4, there are ideas that I can have ready for a certain situation or something someone may do. So I do have ideas on where this goes and how to keep people interested. So

and finally, I'm confused. An interest check for an interest check?, or what 'co-GMS wanted? I'm lost, again...sorry, I'm new.
Normally you'd first post an interest check thread in the recruitment section. Describe your idea and ask if anyone is interested. If you get enough people you decide if you want to start the rp.

You could post this thread there and see if anyone is interested. Absolutely no harm in it.

(that said I highly recommend that you join a few before starting one)

also,

GM = game master, person who runs a rp
co-GM = person who helps a gm.

Last edited:
I think you need to be clear upfront what the genre of this story is. From what you say, seems like the genre is "mystery". I feel like the more vague you are about what is expected of your players the less likely you are to get interest. If it's about escaping from the District (although you still haven't explained what that is) then you need to say so. If it's about discovering their powers and why they are there, then say so.

What is the "problem" that will be dived into?

I'd also recommend that when you do make your interest check you try to avoid colloquial language, especially when you are saying "like" "whatever" and "kind of" it makes it look like you're really unsure of what you mean as well as being confusing to players.

I'd like to know first: if it's cool and alright. Second: I want some insight on it from others like if it's a great RP that I should go through with
These seem like exactly the same thing...

I call a 'District' where things start happening
This part really confused me and took me a few re-reads to get the gist of it. What is a "district" like, from the perspective of the players? You say they get taken to a whole new place, but you say nothing about that place, which is really confusing to read, and frakly off-putting. Without that information what I have to agree to in order to be interested is to have my character put in an entirely random place, because as far as I'm aware, it could literally be anything (this setting does contain unrealistic elements, this is elements belonging to the grounds of fantasy or science fiction, so anything's possible given no rules have been established at this point).

The second reason, which is a very similar problem, is that you say "things start happening", but you only mention one actual thing, and that is finding a necklace on their neck, then just give up and go "then whatever the players want", which is not something you need to state, players will do what they want within the confines of what you established, even if there is a plot with an actual direction, which this one sorely lacks from the looks of it. Here's a quick rewrite that goes more to the point by cutting out the implied and the overly vague:

"It was just an average day when all the sudden these people come up and grab them, the characters black out, and now they've awake in some place I call a 'District' (insert some details about the district here), and they find themselves as animal hybrids wearing a necklace with a corresponding animal charm."

Being too vague just makes you seem unsure and untrustworthy. Repeating too much that you are leaving the choice to the players, especially when it is obvious that the choice would fall to the player, doesn't advertise the freedom of choice of the player, it either says that you plan on limiting player freedom a lot more than other RPs (usually not the correct interpretation, but still one that is possible) or it says that you plan on dumping the work of moving things forward and bringing ideas to the players. An empty box of promises like "don't worry, I totally have a plan!" will not incite any RPers without evidence of that work actually being there. Even if just for the interest check, you need to set things up.

Now, all of this said, I still think just the base idea of animal stuff tends to have a sizeable audience, but I'd be pretty shocked if you end up attracting more detailed players or I imagine you may have a hard time attracting more experienced players that aren't just super passionate about this animal business. It IS your main selling point, that animal shenanigan, as the mystery isn't very well set up (yes, the questions arise, but they and solving them are most incidental aspects rather than a focal point, going by the way you wrote the interest check), plus you seem quite keen on player freedom, so I would focus my attempts at appealing to a more casual or simple audience logistics-wise. Lower post requirements size-wise, plenty of freedom in character creation, more lax rules possibly excluding demands in posting speed, be prepared to replace players often. Focusing on your main appeal, the animal aspect, might also be something you want to do, though I am less certain what

Other than that, I just have to second what Crayons Crayons said here:

I think you need to be clear upfront what the genre of this story is. From what you say, seems like the genre is "mystery". I feel like the more vague you are about what is expected of your players the less likely you are to get interest. If it's about escaping from the District (although you still haven't explained what that is) then you need to say so. If it's about discovering their powers and why they are there, then say so.

Second: I'm so sorry I didn't put all the info down. Like I said to Crayons, I've had some problems with former RPers from other sites getting a bit 'hateful' when I explain in GREAT detail on things and told me to 'dumb it down' or 'get to the base point'. So forgive me. Like I said in this post already. I'm willing to explain everything to anybody that asks, so I want to make that up to everyone so far who has seen this and has thought "This is confusing".
Next point you've made: Again, sorry for being vague but until I know I have this topic in the right section, or if I should move it somewhere else. I have to leave this unanswered until then. I'm sorry, but when I do find out, I will come back to ALL the questions asked and restate what the 'idea' is in a better statement, and with better details.

You don't need to explain it in great detail, but you need to explain the points that are supposed to catch people's eyes, and inform them of the kind of RP that you are proposing to them.

I don't have a whole lot of time right now, so I'll just leave you with this so I don't have to keep you waiting: Tutorial - Principles of A Good Interest Check

Feel free to PM me if you any concrete questions that need answering, so that I may answer them when I have more time.

What do you mean by they seem the same? The way I asked, or where I put this topic? I'd love to know what you mean.
Asking whether the RP is "cool and alright" and whether it is "insight from others like if it's a great RP" are the same question.

our deduction: Your thing you made is actually similar to what the 'plot' is. So I applause to you for your deducing of what I said in such a vague sentence. (Again, sorry)
All I did was rework the sentence already there in five minutes. Once you can see the issue and remove it yourself, you would do a much better job with your own idea, naturally :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back