• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.
Oh, another idea, if this takes place over a long period of time, people could make their own variations of existing bugs through evolution i.e: Spider to tarantula, tarantula to ?? ??=trarantula with different skills. You can even have a point system and people can pick from an existing list of cool things bugs can do, and depending on their species they can only pick certain ones, and everyone starts out with a set amount of points, and every million years or so they get another point

Oh, another idea, if this takes place over a long period of time, people could make their own variations of existing bugs through evolution i.e: Spider to tarantula, tarantula to ?? ??=trarantula with different skills. You can even have a point system and people can pick from an existing list of cool things bugs can do, and depending on their species they can only pick certain ones, and everyone starts out with a set amount of points, and every million years or so they get another point
I don't think it's a litRPG situation. Silver used Redwall as a reference, so that's probably a good launch pad of what of to expect.

I'm just throwing some incomplete ideas/suggestions out here. If anybody wants to elaborate on these, or wants me to develop a more complete idea based on one of these ideas, let me know.

• Dragonflies & damselflies have water magic and sometimes carry their babies around in magically maintained spheres of water
  • Wolf spiders are often employed in childcare (or childhood education if that profession exists in this world) on account of their superb kid-wrangling skills
  • Ticks who look after mice because they can hold onto them, thus being able to keep track of them. This could come in useful for hematophagous bugs, and large carnivores like tarantulas.
  • A shadow darner (dragonfly) with the ability to make constructs out of shadow. Maybe it's just illusions, maybe they're solid. Either way, I like the pun.
  • Cicada bards!

But the character I feel I'm most likely to make is a deathshead moth alchemist.

I'm just throwing some incomplete ideas/suggestions out here. If anybody wants to elaborate on these, or wants me to develop a more complete idea based on one of these ideas, let me know.

• Dragonflies & damselflies have water magic and sometimes carry their babies around in magically maintained spheres of water
  • Wolf spiders are often employed in childcare (or childhood education if that profession exists in this world) on account of their superb kid-wrangling skills
  • Ticks who look after mice because they can hold onto them, thus being able to keep track of them. This could come in useful for hematophagous bugs, and large carnivores like tarantulas.
  • A shadow darner (dragonfly) with the ability to make constructs out of shadow. Maybe it's just illusions, maybe they're solid. Either way, I like the pun.
  • Cicada bards!

But the character I feel I'm most likely to make is a deathshead moth alchemist.
I think that the last one is the best!

With regards to the cicada bard, I actually have a story.

I'm a landscaper IRL, and I'm usually on the mowing crew. Well, I get going, and there are three important facts that you should know.

1. Cicada season can have them so thick the buzz is louder than cars.

2. The larger the buzz, the more cicadas will flock towards it, landing as close to the source as they can. Whoever has the loudest buzz is the most prospective mate, idk.

3. I was holding a weedwhacker.

You can guess how that ended.

Ok, it's not finished, but I figured it couldn't hurt to throw up the lore I do have written now. To help you guys start to write your characters out if you want to.
Of course you are in charge of the lore for your species, which is more customs and culture than biology, but it can be that too.

The lands:

((Map coming soon))

The surrounding lands

The edge of the forest is an ideal place for a city: it is protected from the brunt of storms by the gnarled oak, slender birch and towering pine, it is open to the bright gifts of the sun. The stream’s gentle course tempers the hot days and soothes the chill of the night. The earth is soft, humus and moss make it perfect for walking, and even better for burrowing.

The fields beyond the forest hold a kaleidoscope of different blooms, and the tall grasses protect worn trade routes to and from the city. There are many old logs, decaying and hollow, that provide spaces for bazaars and homes nearby. Some of the field grass has been cleared for farming where precious tiny shoots and little mushrooms are grown for sale in the town, and plants are cultivated to raise livestock like aphids and hard-shelled scale bugs. The forest is cool and quiet; it holds the morning mist, and filters the sun’s light into an ever-moving cascade of green. Up in the treetops there are still more homes, many flying insects live here. Honey bee hives, wood beetle burrows and many flies make their nests in the safe embrace of the canopy.

Deep into the forest a set of stone caves guard rare lichens and fungi that have rare properties highly-coveted by potion masters and healers. Some of it is luminescent and used for decoration, but only the brave dare go retrieve it, for there are monsters lying in wait in the darkness.

The fields have their own dangers; great titans with four carapace-crushing hooves the size of boulders. Most in town simply call them “hoofers”, but the clearings they form in the tall grass make traveling a little easier for large caravans.

Beyond the field, about two days’ travel for any land-walking bug, is a pond where the dragonflies dwell. There are many others that share this land, but it is fiercely guarded by the winged warriors and strangers provoke much suspicion.

The city “Sunhaven”

Much of the grass and soil has been cleared, to make way for masonry and brick. The town square is paved with the help of magic, and a large fountain sprouts from the center, depicting many bugs, lifting chalices in harmony, spilling water into a shallow central pool. Children like to play here, and you can find many a musician or performer hired to provide the citizens with joy. The surrounding stone buildings house the more permanent shops, crafters and artisans. The library is at the edge of the square, and just beside that is the town hall, where the unified council lives and works. At the other end of the city square, close to the main gates is the entrance to the underground, a stone gateway, intricately carved with a beetle and a spider forming the arch by holding up a shovel and pickaxe.

In the sheltered nooks of grass clearing and hollow logs you may find a myriad of shops and stalls, selling everything you could possibly imagine. Fruits and vegetables, livestock bugs, textiles like spider and moth silks, potions, talismans, art and books upon books written on every subject imaginable.

Sunhaven is surrounded by eight stone guard towers, manned day and night and thought the city is not walled, there are guards patrolling the perimeter. The small hills and valleys surrounding the central city are filled with little houses, hidden inside mushrooms, or built from wood or stone.

The council

The council is a democratically elected body with none of the eight members being from the same clan or species. This ensures that most clans are represented in the decision-making of the city. The council regulates urban affairs like upholding the peace rules, providing infrastructure for merchants and artisans both resident and transient and keeping the city clean and safe. The taxes they levy from traders and residents help keep the city and its people in the best condition, so poverty is non-existent.

Town life

The best magic of this town is its laws of peace. No matter what the customs, or history between clans, discord is strictly prohibited. Fighting is punished with either community work or banishment, depending on the gravity of the crime. The worst offenders can have their entire clan banned from the area. Any caravans or traders must leave their weapons at the gates unless given special permission by city authorities. Weaponsmiths must always send their wears to the gates for pickup by the customers.

Barrowlore

The underground is an extension of the city with its own name: Barrowlore, and its own mayor governing affairs. The gated entrance leads into a massive central chamber with spiraling walkways ringing it and leading deep into the earth. The central chamber is lit by a large cone-shaped lichen colony growing down its center, that glows different colours depending on the moisture and temperature in the soil: blue in the morning and when it rains, yellow in the brightest, driest of days. And green in between. Along these spiraling walkways are shops, and built into the walls of the chamber are little homes, joined by rope bridges. There are tunnels leading from every level into more private apartments and tunnels leading to other places. The ant colonies have their private entrances to Barrowlore. The mayor of Barrowlore, although mostly autonomous, must adhere, as the council does, to a strict, no-violence policy within the limits of the city, and ensure that taxes are levied appropriately.

Law beyond the city

There is little protection beyond the city, and no regulation in most areas. Though banditry close to the city is rare it is not unheard of, and there are always predators lurking in the shadows. It is very wise to carry weapons outside the confines of the city or Barrowlore, as the peaceable nature of some clans only exist within those walls. The mercenary trade is thriving and there are many schools of combat that take in students from all walks of life and every clan.

Religion

There is no one single belief in the city or outside of it. Most clans have their own spirituality and or deities, and they are worshiped to a greater or lesser extent depending on clan or individual. There are no religious buildings inside the city, but monasteries and temples exist in the lands nearby. Some of these are known for their specialty products like wines, cured meats or cloth, and they come into the city to trade.

I think all of the species were Narnia'd into closer sizes.
I knew there would be closer in size, but I was also informed that since my species is so large, they would be larger than most other characters. I am just trying to get a relative size for others so I can get a relative size for my guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back