• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
This RP will be for 4-6 players; amnesiac warrior-mages permanently sealed into their cybernetic armour.
The system is easy enough to learn, a dice-pool system that's simple to use but has mechanical depth if you want to engage with it.
No prior experience with this game or dice games required. All skill levels welcome.
One post a week is ideal, once a month is acceptable.
No set post length - just post what you feel is necessary to move things along.
If you want to discover and explore a unique space opera setting inspired by Warframe, starting with a near-blank slate of a character recovering their memories of the world they lost while learning about the new one and their place in it, you may enjoy this.
If you want to play a powerful space ninja wizard, you may also enjoy this.

=====================================================

Once, there was an Empire.

It stretched from the temple-cities of the homeworld to the furthest stars. It was built upon wonders of magitech that bent physics to their whim and laughed at the interstellar gulf.

It was a time of peace and enlightenment. No one now remembers what it was really like, but we know it was glorious - and it was lost.

The Others came screaming out of Elsewhere, a dimension where reason and science failed, and tore apart the works of the Magi.

The war raged for a century or more, and the Magi could not prevail, barely able to fend off the Others no matter how many weapons of apocalyptic might they forged. Both they and their mysterious enemies are gone now, perhaps having destroyed each other.

The Palatial system is in chaos, and the colonies around distant stars are forgotten. No living Magi remain and their various inheritors squabble for power, with innocents descended from colonial settlers caught in the crossfire or eking out an existence amid the ruins.

And across the system, hidden in ancient stasis-vaults and armoury-temples, you sleep; the Bandi. the elite warrior caste of the Magi. Peerless fighters and sorcerous adepts, encaged in mystical armour.
Now you're waking up to a world you no longer recognize, your memories corrded and lost - to time, or to tampering? The Magi are gone. Your culture is lost. All that remains is the terrible fire of will and sword-wisdom of your body.

Will you take up the mantle of rule, as inheritor to the Magi?
Will you resume your role as protectors to the weak and innocent?
Or are you the killing strike to a universe sickly and faltering?

=====================================================

Post interest and ask questions below!

Vala
The Flame of Justice
A solid all-round ‘cage, the Vala can project flames, heat the air, generate explosions, and increase their allies' resistance to mind-altering effects.
Vala are coloured in shades of fire and gold, and often the helmets invoke the Manticore of ancient times.

Sarda
The Icy Grasp
An agile ‘cage, the Sarda can slow and freeze enemies with ice, drown them, and inspire fear. Sarda is styled in emerald, white, and blue, helmets evoking sea serpents.

Nabi
The All-Seeing
A fast but fragile ‘cage, Nabi can see and manipulate Fate. Decorated in amber, silver, and clockwork motifs.

Chaya
Death’s Shadow
Chaya is the stealthiest Soulcage, able to manipulate darkness and shadow. Decorated in shades of black, often with something like a cloak attached at the shoulders.

Raksaka
The Glasswalker
Raksaka is a slow, tough ‘cage able to fold time and space. Decorated with components seemingly made of glass and sandstone.

Gaida
The Beacon of Hope
Gaida is a tough ‘cage that fires beams of light, can cloak itself, and inspire its allies. Decorated in gold and ivory, often with a mirrored helmet.

Separa
The Red Talon
A versatile, bestial ‘cage, Separa can reshape itself, delivers deadly killing blows, and can envenomate targets. Partially organic, Separa look quite distinct.

Prem
The Thief of Thoughts
A light ‘cage able to probe and distort the minds of enemies. Decorated in ruby and violet.

Jadugara
The Soultaker
Jadugara is a much feared ‘cage, able to raise the dead and sunder souls. Decorated in black and purple, with a skull motif.

Kampa
The Earthbreaker
Kampa is a very durable, strong ‘cage that can shape and shatter earth and metals. Decorated in bronze, brown, and motifs of earth.

Bijali
The Cleansing Storm
Bijali commands air, lightning, and magnetism. Decorated in blues and gunmetal.

Nabi and Raksha both look interesting. I'll see what others want to play first before committing, though.

Thought you might go for Nabi. Making Bandi can be kind of a challenge since you have to focus on aesthetic and some core traits initially, but given your approach I think discovering their history in play (something we'll work on together as revelatory scenes come up) will work nicely.

I have never tried this type of roleplaying before, and honestly, this is a first. But I would be interested in trying this out, especially Chaya. I still don't know much about the dynamics of group roleplays here on RPN, much less ones that have a dice system. Still, I would be interested in trying out, if possible.

Welcome! I think you'll adjust quickly and the lack of required foreknowledge here should make it relatively easy.

BUMP

Come and play! Explore a weird sci-fantasy setting, beat up cyborgs using fancy martial arts, sabotage starships with magical attacks!

Initiating Revival Protocol: Cue the Sauce Music

---
Name: Baskarmyna (ba-skah-my-na)
Soulcage: Gaida
Epithets: Black Starling Alit the Tower Gold

Appearance
It cares not for the concept of gender, but for the sake of a harmonious narrative, it shall acknowledge "she" and "her."
A dark patina flecked with rust clouds her plate and crowned helm. Her gilded feathers are gone. What remains of the ivory inlay has turned ochre red, the carvings obscured in grime, in ancient blood.
And through all the cracks and exposed conduits, she glows gold.

Hold on lemme just pick my jaw up off the floor real quick...
Bruh. This looks absolutely insane and I’ve only just peeked at the lore doc. Gotta admit, I’ve never done dice before and I’m a little hesitant to commit to something new right now but like... woah. I’m intrigued as hell.
How freeform are these Soulcage abilities/combat/etcetera? So how much is dictated by dice and how much is just played through with writing? Also, do the Soulcages have any more specific details to go with them or is it largely up to interpretation? The ones that’ve caught my eye are Separa/Raksaka/Vala/maybe Jadugara, but damn do they all look good 😥

Last edited:
Plutoni Plutoni Come join in the OOC thread!

We'll worry about rules as they come up, and I will handle the mechanical side of the sheet if asked so you can focus on purely narrative elements.
Grey's style is to only call for rolls when necessary. The mechanics support the roleplay rather than other way around. The storytelling gets really fun.

Plutoni Plutoni Come join in the OOC thread!

Grey's style is to only call for rolls when necessary. The mechanics support the roleplay rather than other way around. The storytelling gets really fun.
Aw will do, thank you!
Urg this sounds ideal, I’m basically sold already 😂 I’ll have a proper read through when I get a moment (:

Hold on lemme just pick my jaw up off the floor real quick...
Bruh. This looks absolutely insane and I’ve only just peeked at the lore doc. Gotta admit, I’ve never done dice before and I’m a little hesitant to commit to something new right now but like... woah. I’m intrigued as hell.
How freeform are these Soulcage abilities/combat/etcetera? So how much is dictated by dice and how much is just played through with writing? Also, do the Soulcages have any more specific details to go with them or is it largely up to interpretation? The ones that’ve caught my eye are Separa/Raksaka/Vala/maybe Jadugara, but damn do they all look good 😥

Thank you! If you like this, you should see what else I have up my sleeve.
I cover how Bandi spellcasting works in the Lore thread, but as long as you keep within the purview of the Soulcage it's quite freeform.
My general philosophy with the system is - if you have the stats for it, and there's no external pressure, you can normally just do something without rolling. If failure and success are equally interesting, I'll call for a roll. Combat demands engagement with the rules because it's fast and deadly, so the risk of failure adds appropriate tension.
Also I will sometimes give bonuses for good writing and clever ideas.

They are pretty open to interpretation, the only hard rules are the armour is sealed and complete with no eyes or real face. Also humanoid, at least to begin with.
We have a Separa and a probable Raksaka - I don't mind doubling up and it will be interesting to see how you distinguish yourselves if anyone has matching 'cages.
I can always provide extra details in answer to specific questions and I love lore questions. Worst case scenario I might suggest some minor edits to keep things harmonious.

Between looking into the lore and stats I'm already lost, but I'd like to put in my interest anyway.

Between looking into the lore and stats I'm already lost, but I'd like to put in my interest anyway.

I suggest checking out the OOC and related threads, and just worry about the information there to get started.
You don't need to know anything going in if you can get the general vibe; looking at the existing characters will probably help.
Also I welcome questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back