• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Inescapable Shadows

CeriseFern

Fern Queen
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
The park buzzed with all the usual bustle of the Sunday morning market. Father's carried their tired kids on their shoulders, dogs jumped up and about excitedly on their leashes, vendors and buyers peaceably negotiate prices. A sunny day with slight clouds and a calm breeze. It could almost be considered a perfect.

At the entrance of the part stood several benches, often crowded by tired errand runners, those enjoying their fresh cooked lunches, or children eager to jump off any surface they manage to find themselves on. Yet if by some invisible force the often preoccupied benches sat empty except for one man as the people simply walk past to find somewhere else to rest their feet. He sat quiet, tattered notebook in hand, two pens in the other. Seemingly writing out nonsense.

If not for his clean and flatly minimalist attire one might jump to the conclusion that this man was homeless. Tired was not painted onto his face but etched into his bones. His grey eyes once like storms were a thick sunken fog. His black hair not long out of choice but out of neglect. Bones primed and ready to pierce through ashy white skin. This looked like a man who had not slept or eaten in years, a man who looked like he was dying, and somehow that was not a large stretch from the true. But he was not dead yet, life goes on.

Why was the man sitting there. Here. In this park, in this town even. So far from home now. He felt like he'd been wondering aimlessly for weeks now, and yet knew this is where he was meant to be. Then it hit him, what he came here for. Without thinking he stood up but after that could make no further steps in her direction. Doubt washing over him. How long had it been? Could it really be her? Or were dilutions finally catching up to him. He swallowed hard on nothing and pushed forward. There was nothing to lose if he was wrong, and nothing to gain if he waited. He managed to slip into the crowd and caught up to the women. Caught off guard noticing the boy following her adjusting his plans rather quick.

He cleared his throat and managed to gain their attentions.
"Hey bud," he pulled a bill from his wallet and handed it to the child. A boy that by his estimations was 10. "Why don't you go buy a snowcone over there," he gestured to a stall just a short walk away, "while your mother and I do some catching up."
He watched the boy walk off and forced himself to finally look the women in the eyes wondering if she would even recognize him at this point.
"Evie it's, nice to see you again."

Last edited:
[class=PostieBox]width:75%;height:auto;min-height:250px;transition-duration:1s;opacity:1;border: 5px solid #ffffff;margin:auto;margin-top:50px;position:relative;padding:5px;[/class] [class=PostieBall]width:200px;height:250px;padding:5px;float:right;border-radius:10%;margin-top:-50px;margin-right:-100px;margin-left:10px;[/class] [class=PostieAvie]width:100%;height:100%;border-radius:10%;overflow:hidden;[/class] [class=PostieName]height:40px;padding-top:5px;margin-top:20px;margin-left:-5px;text-align:center;font-size:25px;[/class] [class=Credit]font-size:8px;position:absolute;bottom:0;right:1px;[/class] [class name=PostieBox]background:#333333;border-color:#18dba7;color:#ffffff;[/class] [class name=PostieBall]background:#18dba7;[/class] [class name=PostieAvie]background:url('https://i.postimg.cc/mkPjDYqv/Evette-Caleb.png');background-size:cover;[/class] [class name=PostieName]background:#18dba7;color:#000000;[/class]
[div class=PostieBox][div class=PostieBall][div class=PostieAvie][/div][/div][div class=PostieName]Evette Rulivae[/div][div class=Credit]Created by IdyllicDreamer[/div]
Why she should have felt this day would be different, the woman was quite unsure. Yet still that morning she had awoken to the sense of something being off, something strange, a different note to the air. It wasn't the same as she typically felt after another night of battling Caleb's threats, another night of trying her damnedest to keep her boy safe. It had a slightly different taste to it than the typical, creeping, dread she felt upon realizing the dreams were growing worse, the cracks fragmenting the realities of his nights growing deeper. While it was different, she couldn't quite place her finger on if it was good, or bad... Unfortunately only time would tell.

It had been too many nights that they had awoken in this manner, with the remnants of the dream slipping away from mother and son, leaving behind a foul taste and a sullen look etched across the boys face. It was no longer a bright smile he would greet her with at breakfast in the mornings, she missed his happiness. This morning she had a plan, though, to try and take his mind of it. If only for a day, to distract him from the plague on his mind as she searched for a 'cure' to the affliction.

The two were dressed rather plainly, simple clothing that hardly made either one stand out in the crowd. Especially out in the park at this time of day, his clothing perhaps a bit more 'active' than her own, in case he chose to play. The feeling would continue to creep over her when they arrived, a sensation of something lurking, waiting. It was nonsense, it had to be, just paranoia brought on by the nightmares, she was sure... after all, this was her town. Evette and Caleb had lived here for years, they knew it well, she watched it well, yet still...

The creeping sensation began to tighten around her, constricting to the point that she was beginning to second guess her plans for the day, where they were going... It would be in that moment, when she was about to suggest a change of plans, that she froze on the spot. His voice trickling passed her ears, blood running cold almost as her body simply felt... numb. Caleb would be the first of them to actually look at him, nose crinkling slightly for a moment as if sensing something was amiss... or perhaps he had simply been raised better than to accept money from a stranger.

"It... It's alright, go ahead." Her words caught in her throat for a moment, before she managed to level her voice enough to try to keep him from worrying. That was all Caleb needed before he took the money, gave the man an odd look, before dashing off for a snow-cone. She finally looked at him then, seeing him was almost worse than knowing he was here at all. The haggard man in front of her, bearing so many similarities to the man she had once known.

"Why... Why are you here..?" Where had all of her strength gone? Her thoughts, plans, in case she ever did see him again. Suddenly she couldn't seem to think of any of them.

[/div]

"Right, I'm a ghost, now," was that some poor attempt at a joke? "I didn't mean to spook you," he apologized and took a step back. He knew there would be no good way to approach her, but even this was a little rude. Suddenly he started feeling, a lot of things all at once. Primarily regret? Perhaps it was best to not open up old wounds and yet hear he stood. Before took much time passed he answered the question.
"I... I don't know," another pause, but shorter this time as he opted to quickly amend his statement, "I wasn't seeking you out, if that's what you thought." Not wanting to seem like some creep, even though this was defiantly creepy. "I felt a pull and... Well I was hoping it might be the answer to a few of my problems I guess? It was a little too optimistic of me, actually."

He glanced over to the boy still waiting in line having a hard time looking Evie in the eye. What sort of normal conversation would two long departed friends be having? In a world where their chance encounter didn't evoke such raw emotions?
"It's good you settled down with someone and started a family, I mean I always assumed,,," he didn't need to finish the sentence, he thought about her throughout the years of course but did his best not to dwell on it. His mind quickly snapped back to 'normal' talking points. There were so many things he wanted to say and wanted to ask, but what would a normal person do? Some sort of... Small talk.

"You know, Bell-Ann is having her fourth kid soon... You'd really love them all, so sweet. All girls. Oldest one couldn't be that much younger than him," he gestured to the boy, "how old is he anyway?"

[class=PostieBox]width:75%;height:auto;min-height:250px;transition-duration:1s;opacity:1;border: 5px solid #ffffff;margin:auto;margin-top:50px;position:relative;padding:5px;[/class] [class=PostieBall]width:200px;height:250px;padding:5px;float:right;border-radius:10%;margin-top:-50px;margin-right:-100px;margin-left:10px;[/class] [class=PostieAvie]width:100%;height:100%;border-radius:10%;overflow:hidden;[/class] [class=PostieName]height:40px;padding-top:5px;margin-top:20px;margin-left:-5px;text-align:center;font-size:25px;[/class] [class=Credit]font-size:8px;position:absolute;bottom:0;right:1px;[/class] [class name=PostieBox]background:#333333;border-color:#18dba7;color:#ffffff;[/class] [class name=PostieBall]background:#18dba7;[/class] [class name=PostieAvie]background:url('https://i.postimg.cc/mkPjDYqv/Evette-Caleb.png');background-size:cover;[/class] [class name=PostieName]background:#18dba7;color:#000000;[/class]
[div class=PostieBox][div class=PostieBall][div class=PostieAvie][/div][/div][div class=PostieName]Evette Rulivae[/div][div class=Credit]Created by IdyllicDreamer[/div]
It he was trying to make a joke with that she didn't exactly laugh, almost seeming to gain a frown at that. A ghost. He certainly looked as though he could have been one, the years had clearly been unkind to him. Was it her fault? The note she had left behind had been so insufficient, yet she couldn't bare to say what she needed to right to him, to see the look on his face. To see what her choice would do, the consequences. Yet here they could have very well been standing in front of her.

"Problems?" She couldn't quite stop herself from questioning that, what he might have meant. Eyebrows furrowing slightly, of course everyone had problems of some kind yet, what would lead him here? In this state, a small simple town... There was nothing outwardly magical here, that was part of why she had chosen this place. There was nothing close to what... he had been looking into, nothing aside from one key thing. Green eyes would drift closer to her son for a moment there before darting back to him. Caleb couldn't have called him, he didn't know him... but she could have.

For a moment there her expression would soften at the mention of Bell-Ann, four girls... Knowing her it was easy enough for Evette to imagine how sweet they might have been. They had been close at one point, to a degree anyways, but after everything happened... She couldn't quite keep in touch. It would have been wrong. At the moment though she couldn't dwell on that, because she had a decision to make. Lie, and let him continue to believe the assumption that she had settled down. Caleb might have been able to pass for a bit younger, feed into that story... Or tell the truth, which would have revealed far more.

"He's... Caleb is... turning eleven, in a few months..." Looking at him, like that, as he was right now. She couldn't lie. Besides, he might have knowledge on this. Much as she was loath to actually admit it.

[/div]

"E-elven?" Gracen was many things, but stupid was not one of them. It took no time for the cogs to turn in his mind. It had never occurred to him that...
"He-he isn't..." he couldn't stomach finishing the question and just stammered "is he?"

The man's face already defined by sadness soured, and ghost white skin paled. From this far away he couldn't see the boy well. He had black hair, but that was common enough. The idea that the boy could be his... Almost frightened him.
"I-I hope for your sake and his, that's not the case."

If he had know then? Would he have tried harder? Followed after her? All the things he ever wanted were within his finger tips and he just so freely let them go... When she left there was some bittersweet relief. She could live the life she deserved and he would deal with the hand he was dealt. Now even that small relief was gone. He hadn't said what he needed then, and the consequences stood before him. He thought he knew best what to keep secret and what to reveal, and after all these years to find out how wrong he might have been.

Some things didn't change much, did they? An almost familiar expression to her as he seemed to put the pieces together that she had placed before him. The timeline, how old Caleb was... Either she had been unfaithful back then, moved on immediately, or... Caleb was his. There were no other options outside of the inane, such as bizarre spells that made little sense to her. Yet his next words, following his question, knocked any of those strange thoughts from her mind.

Yet as she was about to speak, question more into this as well as confirm his thoughts, the boy in question would have returned, carrying a second flavored snow cone in his hands. Up closer the characteristics he shared with both of his parents would have been far more obvious, especially as he had his fathers hair and eyes.

"Miss Kelly said I could have a second one, 'cause I'm the sweetest." Caleb said as he returned, offering the extra one to his mother. They were regulars in the park, as it wasn't far from their home. The vendor was a friend, and this hardly surprised Evette... Though at the moment she could hardly enjoy the smile he had from this little event. A moment where he was at peace, happier... Though it kind of changed when he looked over at Glacen. "Is this guy bugging you Mom...?"

He could tell something was off, with how tense his mother was at the moment, the arrival of this strange man. He didn't like it.

"Not at all sweetheart, we were just... catching up." As she spoke her free hand, not holding the snow cone, would have started subtly making a few gestures. A familiar burn tingling against her skin when she practiced without her physical book, but it was necessary right now. "It would help me a lot, though, if you went to play with Dany."

Teleportation, the boy would vanish while seemingly no one would notice around them. Her arm burning up the length, specifically the invisible symbols on her skin that helped her do it in the first place. She could explain later, apologize later, but this... Was not something she wanted to talk about in front of him. Nor was it something she wanted to hold off discussing.

"What difference does it make, for his and my sake, that he's yours?" She knew fully well what difference it would make for him, what she had robbed him of. Something she had thought endlessly about over the years. Yet what did it mean for Caleb, what in all of this didn't she know? By now Evette's demeanor would have changed to a degree, swirling guilt that held her back would have been replaced with determination. Force, dedication to keeping Caleb safe.

[/div]

Gracen glanced around a the market a moment, struggling to cope with all this. Keeping his exhausted mind on focus. Perhaps this was just another dilution. None had been like this. Not even remotely. It felt too real but the events were so far fetched. Though his grasp on reality had been slipping for far too long, this could be it. The man bite hard on his own tounge trying to stay sharp in the moment. Once again making eye contact with Evette. Strong and determined as ever. The Evie he remembered, and somehow still different.

"You deserve to know the truth, but so do I. I need to know for a fact if he's my son or not, what I'm about to do is rather risky and... I, I just need to know," defeat finally crept into his voice. This disheveled and sad man had been keeping his composure before, but it was hard to tell until he began to lose it.
"We shouldn't be speaking here," he somehow managed another coherent thought. Though little people paid them mind, this was not the place to discus such grave matters.

There was a mix of emotions that twisted through her at that. Irritation, as to what he might have been implying by that. Of course Caleb was his son. Then guilt, what this all had to be doing to him. Regardless of the fact that she had left, had supposedly put it all behind her, she still didn't want to see him suffer. A difficult blend that simply had her letting off a soft huff.

"We'll... go to my house then." He was right, after all, this was a bad place for this to be happening. Though she was nervous about inviting him into her home, the place she had claimed for herself after all was said and done. Yet he was here, there was no changing that, and she needed to know more about this.

The building she would take him to wouldn't even be that far away, just out of view of the park yet near enough to make it an easy walk. A small rustic looking home, it had been perfect for the two of them for so long. Most people wouldn't have noticed them, the peculiar nick knacks that were around the estate. He might have, the near obscene amount of magical wards around the home. Decoration disguised in the yard, among other things within. Protection charms and the likes, she was trying to keep something out.

"Do... you still like that same tea..?" She would question while opening the door for him, the inside having a certain cozy charm to it. Opening to a living room that blended into the dining room, leading from there into a kitchen. A staircase would be visible leading up to the second floor, where the bedrooms were.

[/div]

"I haven't had tea in some time now," he answered, "that sounds nice..."
While the house was nice, Gracen felt a noticeable amount of unease. This many charms and protections, there seemed to be a certain amount of vulnerability to this place rather than strength. He pushed out the thoughts, if Caleb experienced what Gracen thought he might be then there was no such thing as too much precaution.

Once they got to the kitchen Gracen took a seat, knowing what came next might knock him off his feet if he wasn't careful.
"I, I should have done this all those years ago. Maybe things would have turned out better," he stalled a moment in part to think of the perfect works in part to delay the pain, "I though... That I could fix my family's problems alone and keep you safe. I was actually... Happy you left. I thought you could finally move on with your life," it hurt him just to say and he just cleared his throat and paused a moment.

"I have a secret," those words in themselves were not filled with much meaning, no it was his thoughts and intentions alone that triggered the spell. Gracen's hands reflexively jumped up to cover his mouth, his jaw tense, all the air seemed to escape him, and his tongue began to burn. This was far more painful than he anticipated. Once he could rip his hands away from his mouth he gasped, trying to get all his breath back.

The tea she had made back then was a home blend, created from plants that she had grown personally. All of which had been left as well when she departed, it was hard to take those kind of things while running off. In this place, her home, the back yard was littered with them once more. All for various purposes, some of which went to making that very same tea. A brew that she even had Caleb fond of. It had a subtle sweetness to it, with a rich aroma that would easily start filling the kitchen once the water was boiling with a simple flick of the wrist. The kettle enchanted, of course.

It steeped as he started speaking, words that left her feeling a mixture of things. In a way, betrayed. She couldn't think of any secrets she had specifically kept from him, aside from things she just didn't think to mention. Then simply... numb, the combination of the words happy, and left, brought about that cold feeling. She could have almost laughed at the notion of moving on, that ring on its chain around her neck felt so much heavier for a few moments there.

Yet she pushed the feeling away when he tried to speak once more, eyebrows furrowing slightly at the response from him. His own doing, though the pieces would click together rather quickly as she just let out of a soft groan. Evette wasn't exactly slow herself on the uptake.

"Of course there is a non-disclosure agreement in it." A slight huff from the words, a tricky bit of magic that would make it impossible for him to reliably tell her what she wanted to know. Pouring the tea into a pair of cups she would take a seat across from him, well she might as well do the talking then.

"I... think I know what brought you here." Something she had been thinking on since he confessed to feeling a pull, rather than having come looking for her. "Caleb has been... suffering nightmares for awhile now. He... He's rather amazing actually, I never taught him how to do it but somehow he managed to start pulling me into them when they started getting bad. I think some number of variables in that might have caused me to... call on you, in a way." It was the easiest explanation she could think of, especially since she could think of a few nights where he had come to mind. Wondering if his research could have been useful.

"Your secret has something to do with these nightmares, doesn't it..?"

[/div]

Gracen simply nodded, needing a moment to compose himself. The pain left behind a faint numbness in his jaw and mouth. He picked up the tea sipping it tentatively. Letting her speak. It seemed reasonable that it was her that managed to call him here, though he felt it odd that he didn't get that inclining from the forces that pulled him. The possibility of running into her while coming out here didn't even remotely cross his mind.

"Something like that," he mumbled once she finished, taking another sip from the tea before setting it down.
"It's my grandma's spell. A kind women but, could be pretty nasty with her spell when she needed to be," he refereed to the binding. "There... Is a clause, but I doubt that you'd like it. It's... A family secret."
He couldn't quite elaborate on that. He was worried about what his words could do to him if he wasn't careful. The intent to share a secret was a shock, to inadvertently reveal anything could be far worse.

Tricky spell. For the moment her eyes stayed locked on her teacup as she worked that out. Wondering if it only meant blood relatives, if that had been why he hadn't told her before. His words didn't imply that, an excuse for the secret. Could he have told her back then, when they had been family? Had he known the consequences to telling a non-relative..? Evette quickly tried to push that thought from her mind, though. Dredging up the past like that wasn't going to help Caleb right now, or Gracen for that matter. Was his current condition a peek into Caleb's future..?

"Which means you can tell Caleb, but not me." She reasoned there, since Caleb was, by blood, his family. Her fingers drummed against the cup then as she contemplated further on that, how far did the non-disclosure spell extend? Would it prevent him from unintentionally telling someone else? Would Caleb, who was her family as well by blood and otherwise, be able to tell her what Gracen said? There were so many questions she had racing, so many ways she wanted to try and trick the spell. Loopholes, breaks... Yet so many ways those things could hurt the others. The less he knew about her own motives the better in this.

"Before bringing him into this I just have one question, it should be safe enough... since it's about your grandmothers spell." Pausing for a moment, worried about the answer he might have given, "How dangerous is it? For you... and how dangerous would it be for Caleb to know?"

Would it have hurt him in that same way to try and tell her?

[/div]

"I hesitate to call this good news, but-" he was interrupted by the front door opening up. From here the two of them could see a women tentatively stick her head in to peak around. Worry shifted to delight when she locked eyes on Evette, seemingly oblivious to Gracen's presence.
"Oh thank the stars! You really gave us a scare, you know I really do love whenever Caleb comes around but out of the blue seemed so unlike you, you know he said you two were at the park and just poof without warning just dropped into my living room, Quinn took the two out to mini golf and I had to promise Caleb I'd check up on you! Didn't find you in the park and~" this women didn't seem to stop for air. She only paused when her attentions were pulled to Gracen.
"My! I didn't mean to interrupt," she apologized as Gracen stood up. His cup now emptied.
"It's fine," he assured, "thank you Evi-Evette, for speaking to me. Though, there are some things I need to think on... If you don't mind. Though I can assure tonight you and your son Caleb can rest easy," he was certain in this statement.
"I'm staying at the Gentle Hill's Inn, for a few more nights at least. I'll be easy to reach again, tomorrow if you can."

Of course a huge part of him wanted to stay and figure all this out in the moment, but this women gave him an opening and he realized... He wasn't in the right state of mind to properly do anything. He needed time to gather himself. All of this really came out of nowhere. Even in the best state of mind it would be a lot of take it.

"Oh jeeze, that conversation stopped preemptively didn't it? All my fault, so sorry honey," she apologized profusely to Evette, she was just worried. Though her apologizing didn't stop her curiosity, "ah... Who was that anyway?"

Her entire body would have become tense again, the sound of the door opening now an unexpected thing. Eyes darting in the direction of the closest door almost as Dany's mother came into view. Relaxing slightly, for the moment, even as she cursed the situation in her head. They weren't done talking, she wanted to know what it was he was going to say. Yet she didn't say that, listening instead to her friends concern. It was a rather unusual situation, and she could only imagine what Caleb might have told them about his sudden appearance.

"I'll speak with you more tomorrow then." When he said his goodbyes, gave her information, and a small assurance... Evette was itching to go after him, to pull him back in so they could continue talking this out and figure out what was going on. Yet she couldn't. Life wasn't that simple all of the time, and all she could really do was watch him go before her attention drifted to the other woman.

"Thanks for your worry, and don't worry about it, you had good intentions." Moving to collect the cups she would take them over to the sink, knowing a question as to who would come up eventually. A strange man just shows up one day and she starts acting weird? Of course someone was bound to ask. Teetering on the edge between the truth, and a lie...

"That man... was Gracen. I lied before when I said he was dead, I just thought it was best for Caleb if he thought that rather than... the mess the truth actually is. And... I thought it would be easier if everyone thought the same thing as Caleb did." It made it impossible for people to gossip about the truth in front of him. As Evette revealed this she almost sounded... too calm, in a way. As if none of this had really set in for her. Rinsing out the cups, possibly just going through the motions. Functioning.

After all she couldn't just stop, couldn't break. There was too much to do, too much at stake.

[/div]

"Oh, oh honey," Elska's usually chipper tone faded, "do you need someone to talk to? I'm sure the boys will be busy a few more hours. I could... Well, to be honest I'm not sure what to do. But, I mean... Anything you need at all?"

Once out the door Gracen needed to pause a moment. The tea was not settling well with him. There was nothing wrong with it, in fact it was quite good. That didn't stop Gracen from doubling over and- Well it looked far more like he was coughing up a lung than vomiting. Either way by the end of it there was not a trace of tea left inside of him. Thankfully he'd managed to do so into the bushes so there was little to no evidence. Quickly he moved on, back to his hotel.

The Gentle Hill's Inn was a small, mostly family run, hotel. Of course the town itself was small, but that didn't stop some people dropping in from time to time. At least enough to keep the inn running.
To get to his room first Gracen had to pass the front desk. Normally the attendant would be off doing one of there other duties. Not a lot of walk ins to greet. However this time around he was stopped by a young man with a earnest smile.
"Good Afternoon," he greeted, not expecting much out of the interaction. Though Gracen gave pause.
"I'd like to thank you," Gracen confused the boy by this and holding his hand out for a handshake.
The young man hesitated of course, but shook the man's hand. Almost asking why, but before he could manage... His body went cold and all the air escaped his lungs. He felt an instant pang of dizzy exhaustion with only some mild panic. Gracen let go and the young man leaned against the counter, trying not to fall over and regaining his balance.
"Again, thank you," Gracen reiterated before leaving to go to his room.
There was little to no chance this employee would remember the exchange. Would likely blame the extended exhaustion to over working or perhaps under sleeping. He would be confused and quite hungry for the next few days but soon enough would completely forget the interaction. Gracen on the other hand finally collected the strength he needed to once again face his demons. His nausea from attempting to just simply drink something finally subsided.

Night came fast. Though of course Gracen resolved to sleeping early, to save the grief that Caleb may face. It might have been better to ask about these sorts of details, it was a little late for something like that. There was little chance Gracen could stay down the whole night, so he needed something to force him under. For that he'd bee peering over his books for hours now. His forte came in sleep spells that kept one awake not put them asleep. He did find one eventually, meant to put others to sleep not ones self. A slight modification would probably fix that, he hoped.

Gracen flattened the pages of his father's book but before begining he mumbled something faint that even he could hardly hear. A thin goldened smokey mist escaped his lips as he let go of sleep spell. A quick and easy dismissal, but before he could magically put himself to sleep he passed out where he sat. Unable to keep his body awake for even a moment longer without the assistance of a spell. The night would be long and, tedious.

[class=PostieBox]width:75%;height:auto;min-height:250px;transition-duration:1s;opacity:1;border: 5px solid #ffffff;margin:auto;margin-top:50px;position:relative;padding:5px;[/class] [class=PostieBall]width:200px;height:250px;padding:5px;float:right;border-radius:10%;margin-top:-50px;margin-right:-100px;margin-left:10px;[/class] [class=PostieAvie]width:100%;height:100%;border-radius:10%;overflow:hidden;[/class] [class=PostieName]height:40px;padding-top:5px;margin-top:20px;margin-left:-5px;text-align:center;font-size:25px;[/class] [class=PostieBar]width:98%;height:3px;margin:auto;[/class] [class=Credit]font-size:8px;position:absolute;bottom:0;right:1px;[/class] [class name=PostieBox]background:#333333;border-color:#18dba7;color:#ffffff;[/class] [class name=PostieBall]background:#18dba7;[/class] [class name=PostieAvie]background:url('https://i.postimg.cc/mkPjDYqv/Evette-Caleb.png');background-size:cover;[/class] [class name=PostieName]background:#18dba7;color:#000000;[/class] [class name=PostieBar]background:#18dba7;[/class]
There would be a quiet sigh from the woman there, and it almost seemed like some of her energy drained out in that particular moment. Shoulders slumping slightly, before she would just give a small shake of her head. All of it was a lot to take in, sure, but if she started talking about it right now then everything was going to become so much more real, and right now she needed to be able to keep it all at an arms length. To handle it all, to do what she needed to.

"I appreciate the offer but I think I want to just take the time looking through my books. But I'll make sure to keep you updated." Her words were almost a little dismissive, could she be excused for that given everything that was happening? Evette wasn't particularly concerned about that right now though. No, Caleb was the only thing dancing through her mind. A stabilizing thought, keep him safe. Whirling, wondering what this was going to do to him, because there was no way she would lie right to him about this.

It had been easy enough to tell him the previous story, one that she could hold as true in a way... Tell him that the man she loved was dead, because he was in a way. In her mind, he wasn't the same anymore, so it was close enough to the truth. Yet to tell him tonight who the man was, to lie right to him? He would have never forgiven her, she was certain of that.

Yet that wasn't what she spent those hours before he came home musing on, no instead she spent them pouring over family tomes. Firstly before he got home she needed to take care of her arm, it had been burning faintly since she had teleported Caleb, and she was sure that meant the combination of runes channeling the spell was wrong. In a dangerous situation if she needed to activate it... This couldn't happen again. More testing.

[div class=PostieBar][/div]
By the time Caleb arrived home she would just be relaxing with a new cup of tea, still going through pages though she was much more relaxed about it now. Or, at the very least, she seemed a lot more relaxed. Putting her book down to focus on Caleb, feeling... better seeing him happy about what the day had been for the two boys together. It put a smile on her face, and she could have easily spent the rest of the night listening to him go on about how good he had done while playing.

Yet, eventually, the questions rounded back. The focus shifting to her as he just couldn't help but ask about who the weirdo was, she ended up scolding him a little for calling him that. The obligatory lesson on not judging a book by its cover, even if she was still concerned about how... worn Gracen looked. That wouldn't last though... and eventually she would have to get to the heart of the matter...

She couldn't do it though, couldn't just... tell him, all of it. At least not yet, not when it shouldn't just have been her decision to make. Would there have been any point to it if Gracen wanted nothing to do with Caleb? Your son. The words echoed in her mind as she thought about what to say to him, it would have been crushing if he was only there to help out of a sense of... duty? Caleb was his offspring, should he leave right after... The poor boy had been suffering enough.

So instead she made him a promise, and a request, wrapped up in one little bundle. A promise to explain what was happening to him, if he would give her time to figure it all out more. To make sure she was telling him it right, because he deserved more than just a half story. Caleb wasn't... thrilled with this, he wanted to understand what was bothering his mother so much, but after a little playing around he conceded to wait. With the promise of ice cream.

It would only be after he was safely in bed, falling asleep, that everything came crashing down on her. Exhaustion from the day, the mental strain, all of it as she sank into bed. There was simply so much to process still, things to do, and never enough time in the day... Her mind crashed, instead of dwelling on it. Yet she wouldn't sleep particularly well, no matter what happened.

[/div]

The dream started as it often did. Slowly at first but then faster and faster still Gracen plummeted through the starless night sky. A void of blacks and blues swirled around him as he flailed meaninglessly. Nothing to keep his eyes locked onto, nothing to stop the fall. No ground beneath him, and suddenly no sky above. Temperatures fluctuate wildly. What little light remains began to drain and felt as if in fact it never existed. Colour illogical. Sight senseless.

This is cheap, and absurd.

Gracen stilled himself, now suspended in the nothing. Not falling, not moving at all. He hadn't slept in so long, these imps were just pulling party tricks. This would leave him with a restless night of sleep, but they craved something more.
In a world of practically infinite magic, this is what they resort to? Have their brains gone numb from the time spent here. Or was something missing?

A deep breath escaped him, and his skin began to glow. The light had come, and there was nothing to see. He was now completely alone.

[class=PostieBox]width:75%;height:auto;min-height:250px;transition-duration:1s;opacity:1;border: 5px solid #ffffff;margin:auto;margin-top:50px;position:relative;padding:5px;[/class] [class=PostieBall]width:200px;height:250px;padding:5px;float:right;border-radius:10%;margin-top:-50px;margin-right:-100px;margin-left:10px;[/class] [class=PostieAvie]width:100%;height:100%;border-radius:10%;overflow:hidden;[/class] [class=PostieName]height:40px;padding-top:5px;margin-top:20px;margin-left:-5px;text-align:center;font-size:25px;[/class] [class=PostieBar]width:98%;height:3px;margin:auto;[/class] [class=Credit]font-size:8px;position:absolute;bottom:0;right:1px;[/class] [class name=PostieBox]background:#333333;border-color:#18dba7;color:#ffffff;[/class] [class name=PostieBall]background:#18dba7;[/class] [class name=PostieAvie]background:url('https://i.postimg.cc/mkPjDYqv/Evette-Caleb.png');background-size:cover;[/class] [class name=PostieName]background:#18dba7;color:#000000;[/class] [class name=PostieBar]background:#18dba7;[/class]
The next day would see her with a bit more free time, Monday, Caleb would be off to school after breakfast and she would have the time to take care of the things she needed to do. One of which involved going to a certain motel, once she had collected what she needed to and stuffed it into a bag to take with her. Plans of heading right over there ended up being cut short when she noticed... When had that plant died?

The entire process of investigating what had happened to one of the bushes out front lead her to believe that a certain someone might have been sick... So she was delayed a little longer when she went back inside to collect a few things before heading over to the inn. A nice enough place that had just enough of that small town charm to attract tourists who wanted a vacation in a nice, quiet, charming place. It would take a bit of doing to get his room number, personal privacy and all that, before she made her way over there...

Evette knocked, a couple of times actually. Wondering if he just wasn't in, or if there was something else at play... After all Caleb hadn't, in fact, had any nightmares... What had Gracen done? Eyebrows furrowing slightly in thought before she would murmur a small incantation, finger tracing over the keyhole, before there would be a small click and she would push the door open.

Was... he really asleep at this time? Green eyes blinked a few times before she would let out a sigh, heading over to wake him up. Except, she paused for a moment as her hand hovered over him. It felt strange to touch him, in any way, right now... after so long. Like it might not have been real, yet of course it was. Steeling her mind instead of dwelling much further she would set a hand on him to lightly shake him.

"Gracen, wake up, I thought you wanted me to come today..." Sure that probably didn't entail breaking in to wake him up, but... she was worried.

[/div]

All was still for a moment, then a loud- POP. The floor shook for the briefest of moments before the lights gave out and the room was consumed by darkness. The temperature dropped nearly twenty degrees in an instant. And suddenly as if nothing happened, light began to seep back in from behind the curtains. Though it appeared the light bulbs had shattered in the process, aside from that the room looked fine.

At this point somehow Gracen had made it to the corner of the room furthest from Evette. He leaned against the wall, one hand gripping on a desk for balance. His eyes frantically dart around the room. Fear and confusion on his face. Before long Evette caught his eye and there was a moment of terror before the click of recognition.
"E-Evie?" he slide down the wall now sitting on the floor. Finally regulating his frantic breath.
"I thought, thought I was, that," he couldn't get anything important out, still frantic from his nightmares. While sitting on the floor his grip of the desk tightened, trying to ensure his grip on reality.

Last edited:
The sound of the bulbs spontaneously shattering caused the woman to let out a startled shriek, ducking slightly with her arms going to protect her head and face, a simple barrier of sorts springing up for a moment. Paranoia. It wouldn't block the chill, the lingering energy from the unleashed magic... In fact it really wouldn't do much in that moment as nothing had been close enough to harm her. It would fade away as light began to re-enter the room, eyes locking on him.

He was terrified, that much was obvious at just a glance, even before he started speaking basically nonsense. She got the gist of it though, it was all part of the nightmare. Caleb had woken a few times utterly terrified, and she realized then how he had kept Caleb from having another one that night... He had submitted himself to the cause of it instead.

"It's okay, you don't have to explain... Not this anyways." Speaking softly as she made her way over to him, Evette would crouch down next to the man to sit near him. Hoping that would help sooth him a little bit, as she opened up her bag to pull out a small thermos, with a connected bowl for a lid. Unscrewing it before pouring some in, offering the warm mixture over to him.

"Was that you who got sick in my Azalea bush?" An easier topic, something simple, light, rather than the true meat of the situation. Hopefully something to help him relax, before they got into the harder things.

[/div]

Gracen reflexively grabbed the thing Evette offered to him, but made no attempts to consume it.
"A-Azalea?" he mumbled confused, peering down into the liquid staring at his own reflection. How long had he been asleep. It felt like... Years, decades? He couldn't remember now. Well he couldn't remember much of anything.

"I-I need a moment, sorry," Gracen managed to stand up, setting the cup down on the desk. Once again looking around the room. His hand slide against the wall slowly as he tried to dredge up some memories. He decided to sit back down, on the bed this time. Looking back over to Evette.
"Th-We're in a hotel? This doesn't feel like a normal bedroom," he noted, "right... ?"

His response to it all had a small frown forming on her face, eyebrows furrowing slightly as she wondered at something. How bad was he? How far off, his physical condition was one thing easy enough to see, yet how much of it was mental? How... long had he been dealing with this? Caleb had been for a few months, and it already had a bit of a toll on him. But, Caleb had her to help him through it. To comfort him when he was afraid, who did Gracen have? Her, once upon a time, so very long ago. Had he ever found someone else?

The knife of her guilt twisted in her gut at that moment, clenching around her insides for a few moments along with another feeling that she didn't want to put much stock into. It was hard to forget the past, the feelings of it all, but at this moment in time they had no place here.

"Gentle Hill's Inn, you invited me here yesterday after we spoke." She responded, wanting to confirm at least that much, wanting to ground his mind into something to try and hopefully help him. Even if just slightly.

"Gracen... How long as this been going on...?" Would he even be able to tell her that much?

[/div]

"Ye-Yesterday?" Gracen pulled his hand through his hair pushing it out of his eyes, and let himself exhale a slow long breath. A few things slowly clicking into place.
"I see," though not directed much at Evette. He reached out a hand in front of him and snapped. With a slight sizzle in the air a black and gold smoke released from his palm and quickly dissipated into the air leaving behind a faint smell of chlorine. Almost as if a teleportation spell a book materialize into his hand. Though it didn't appear like any teleportation spell Evette had known. Stranger still how it seemed to need no words in it's call.
"It's been so long since I've had a real nights sleep. I, didn't take the proper precautions," he quickly flipped through the pages, and while it was far to fast to actually be read there was a chance that the book could be telepathically linked to him in some way. There was no way to tell. All that was clear is that it didn't have any distinct aura that one may find with a spell book. It looked, entirely ordinary.

Gracen finally looked back to Evette, his confusion cleared but his exhaust did not. Though the fear was gone, this was still a ragged man. Nearing his breaking point.
"Lets, call them demons. For simplicity. They seem to do different things to different people, I and," it took him a moment to remember the name, "K-Caleb are not the only ones. For me specifically, they tend to speed up time. I spend every night feeling like I've spent decades in solitude. It's," well he didn't need to elaborate on how terrible it was.
"I have a hard time recalling memories when I wake back up, but this helps," he gestures to the book in his hand.
"I'm still having a hard time remember yesterday," he admits, "but I've gotten a few key points back. I think..."

Last edited:
[class=PostieBox]width:75%;height:auto;min-height:250px;transition-duration:1s;opacity:1;border: 5px solid #ffffff;margin:auto;margin-top:50px;position:relative;padding:5px;[/class] [class=PostieBall]width:200px;height:250px;padding:5px;float:right;border-radius:10%;margin-top:-50px;margin-right:-100px;margin-left:10px;[/class] [class=PostieAvie]width:100%;height:100%;border-radius:10%;overflow:hidden;[/class] [class=PostieName]height:40px;padding-top:5px;margin-top:20px;margin-left:-5px;text-align:center;font-size:25px;[/class] [class=PostieBar]width:98%;height:3px;margin:auto;[/class] [class=Credit]font-size:8px;position:absolute;bottom:0;right:1px;[/class] [class name=PostieBox]background:#333333;border-color:#18dba7;color:#ffffff;[/class] [class name=PostieBall]background:#18dba7;[/class] [class name=PostieAvie]background:url('https://i.postimg.cc/mkPjDYqv/Evette-Caleb.png');background-size:cover;[/class] [class name=PostieName]background:#18dba7;color:#000000;line-height:30px;[/class] [class name=PostieBar]background:#18dba7;[/class]
For once the woman was silent, instead simply watching him as he seemed to be in the process of collecting himself. The book, the spell, new things. She couldn't say she remembered having seen that particular tome before, and even if she had... It probably wasn't one of the ones that she would have wanted to peer into. Slowly standing back up, setting the thermos down on the desk for the moment, as she proceeded to listen to his explanation.

"Yesterday we met up at the park, for the first time in almost twelve years. You found out you had a son, I found out his suffering is related to a family secret I didn't know about. We had tea and talked, then our conversation on it was interrupted by a friend of mine who was concerned. You asked me to come here today, and I believe on your way out you not only got sick on my Azalea's but killed them in the process." The last part might actually have been an attempted at some lightness, a joke overall, if her tone was to suggest anything at all.

"For Caleb... from what he's told me, and the glimpses I've seen in his dreams... They want him, something from him. They whisper horrible things to him, speak of his fears, and entrap him in a reality in which his world is falling apart. Death, suffering, and a literal dismantling of reality. They also manipulate his feelings, he told me it feels cold and choking." Which was probably the best way the boy could describe it really. For one who had never known true suffering before...

"... Aside from not sleeping how well are you really taking care of yourself?" It was hard not to worry, impossible almost.
[/div]

Gracen dismissed the book as easily as he conjured it, with the same bit of smoke and the lingering smell. He sat quietly a moment after she finished speaking.
"I know exactly what the bastards want," he conveniently ignored her question, standing up and once again pulling away the hair from his face.
"Thank you for waking me, though could you give me a minute? Then we can talk,,," he wanted to specify what about but he let the statement fall. She kept asking about his personal well being and... Well there was nothing in that department he wanted to talk about. Right now they needed to focus on keeping Caleb safe and happy. From there? Gracen dared not to think about it. This was still all such a shock. Thoughts past tomorrow were just too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back