• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion Inclusion of gifs as avatars

Sinnama

Je suis bête
You know how you can have gifs in your siggy? I think it'd be cool if there was an option to add gifs into your avatars. It could be a perk of some sort or just a thing for everyone.

You know how you can have gifs in your siggy? I think it'd be cool if there was an option to add gifs into your avatars. It could be a perk of some sort or just a thing for everyone.

I'm not inherently opposed to GIFs in general as I like everyone else loves a good meme or animated picture but for the last decade, we've made the conscious decision to not allow it in Avatars due to the fact that this is a writing roleplaying site and it can get distracting when reading posts. It was until recently you couldn't even have them in signatures. The staff and I can have a conversation about this in the future but I don't think it will happen within any foreseeable ETA as we are currently working on the existing Melvil update.

I'm not inherently opposed to GIFs in general as I like everyone else loves a good meme or animated picture but for the last decade, we've made the conscious decision to not allow it in Avatars due to the fact that this is a writing roleplaying site and it can get distracting when reading posts. It was until recently you couldn't even have them in signatures. The staff and I can have a conversation about this in the future but I don't think it will happen within any foreseeable ETA as we are currently working on the existing Melvil update.

I understand how it could distract somebody if it was really flashy and such, but it'd be nice to have it brought up for discussion. :)

Good luck on your update, by the way.

We can have gifs in our signature now? I remember that not being allowed at some point.
As long as they are not seizure inducing for the most part we've been leaving them be.

I'm okay with this since I've always hated gifs as avatars. I do find them pretty distracting... to the point where I feel like I can't even read a post if there's a gif as someone's avatar. It constantly draws my eye to the gif rather than the post itself.

I'm probably just a very easily distracted person lol

I agree with Arachne Arachne , that would be awesome if the gif would only activate if you moused over it. Either that or have an option to disable gifs for profile pics in your settings when you want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back