• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Incarnate OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Learning from you all and improving is certainly the hope, but no guarantee. I'll try my best and I hope I don't disappoint >-<
Honestly? If you can write two paragraphs, I won't be disappointed. XD

A group is a bit different, but for me personally, I don't write with others in 1x1s that can't manage two paragraphs. I feel like that's the bare minimum. One as a response and one to progress.

Adding in fancy elements like lots of details is nice, as long as it's not overdone. Though, in RP format, I just use that as opportunities for me to inject my own details whenever others don't include any.

So, for me at least, you really have nothing to worry about when it comes to skill levels. I imagine if any of us were really that skilled, we'd be off making money as best selling authors. XD

Gnomar Gnomar So, if there's ever information you feel Wumsy may know that others don't, I'd appreciate a heads up. For although Wumsy is beyond a super genius, I, myself, am not. And even if I were, there's information I couldn't possibly know anyways. I would just like to be able to showcase Wumsy's intelligence, as well as their drive for knowledge.
I, too, would appreciate that heads up when it comes to knowledge.

Although Eudocia doesn't actively seek out information, it does have exceptionally keen perception and its thoughts tend to wander when it's not buried too deep within its ceaseless existential crisis. Its intelligence is astoundingly high for how it acts; one may easily mistake it for being one of those more basic incarnates due to its seeming inability to speak.

Like Undead, I am unfortunately not a genius — I presume writing our incarnates will be something of a fun trial.

I, too, would appreciate that heads up when it comes to knowledge.

Although Eudocia doesn't actively seek out information, it does have exceptionally keen perception and its thoughts tend to wander when it's not buried too deep within its ceaseless existential crisis. Its intelligence is astoundingly high for how it acts; one may easily mistake it for being one of those more basic incarnates due to its seeming inability to speak.

Like Undead, I am unfortunately not a genius — I presume writing our incarnates will be something of a fun trial.
Yeah. I want intelligence to be the main feature of Wumsy. And, unfortunately, for dummies like us, having a little assistance helps with writing our intelligence based characters.

It's pretty cool having another 5 point intelligence incarnate on the team. Especially since they are a bit different from Wumsy. I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard for Wumsy to see Eudocia's intelligence, since observation and knowledge gathering are cores of their personality. While Eudocia is much more fueled by emotion. So I'm very interested in seeing how you write them, as well as their interactions with Wumsy.

Interesting and lovely to read, and may have triggered my anxiety about managing to keep up with everyone's writing once things begin >-<

But all things considered it makes we want to try writing a sort of precursor text of my own, though I'm awful at writing so I'll have to do something simpler. I'll think about it..
I would say you've nothing to worry about, truly. I've enjoyed what you've written so far, and I look forward to more.

I've been thinking about the fact that our characters were dead and woke up with a monster chained to their soul for a little bit now. The setting and tone don't really seem to be the kind where you'd go around being Very Haunted about that (Which is fine!), but I like to wonder about the corners of a character's life.

I would say you've nothing to worry about, truly. I've enjoyed what you've written so far, and I look forward to more.

I've been thinking about the fact that our characters were dead and woke up with a monster chained to their soul for a little bit now. The setting and tone don't really seem to be the kind where you'd go around being Very Haunted about that (Which is fine!), but I like to wonder about the corners of a character's life.
I won't write out a whole scene, but if I out thought into it, I'd say Dayquan was terrified when Wumsy appeared. Although, Wumsy was great at making him feel at ease. I'm not sure how Wumsy feels about it yet. It really depends on how much they would've known about their own birth or creation process.

I'm hoping to get back to all of you soon with answers to your questions but WiFi is down across my entire street so I'm not in a great position to manage things ATM! Hopefully my WiFi provider comes through and fixes things today...

I'm hoping to get back to all of you soon with answers to your questions but WiFi is down across my entire street so I'm not in a great position to manage things ATM! Hopefully my WiFi provider comes through and fixes things today...
D: That's the worst. I use my phone's data, so it happens to me sometimes, if I'm in a poor reception area.

Good news! My WiFi provider waited until I took the time to tell you all my WiFi was done to fix it. Bastards. But I'm back in business!

Prepare to have questions answered my friends.

Okay so I feel like there's a question I'm missing somewhere but for those of you who asked about getting a little behind the scenes help with your high intelligence Champions, I gotchu covered. Likewise if your Champion has a particularly keen sense, smell, hearing whatever, you'll get a little extra info they can pick up on if necessary.

I feel like there was something to about what Incarnates remember about their lives somewhere? Did I spy that anyway?

The last remaining question I've got is basically how you're feeling about the idea of Zee being a not-just-resurrected person - the idea I've had for her is that she's been re-alive for five years or so. I'm fine playing the Older, Wiser Character archetype, and I'm also fine with the idea while everyone else gets power bumps in the vein of 'leveling up,' to not get those for much longer (or ever).

The last remaining question I've got is basically how you're feeling about the idea of Zee being a not-just-resurrected person - the idea I've had for her is that she's been re-alive for five years or so. I'm fine playing the Older, Wiser Character archetype, and I'm also fine with the idea while everyone else gets power bumps in the vein of 'leveling up,' to not get those for much longer (or ever).

I believe I mentioned this at one point or another, but for the sake of making things easier for me, no.

If Zee had been up and kicking for a while now she'd have no reason to interact with the rest of our crew, she'd already have been trained and slapped into another group. And unfortunately having her on as an authority figure of some kind will fall somewhat flat because you'd have to keep asking me for behind the scenes looks at stuff to make her actually credible in this role.

I didn't ask this but I had actually been wondering about it myself ^^;
Well I've gotcha covered then!

The short answer is that it varies. Higher intelligence will have a better chance at remembering stuff from their feral stage once they become Champions, and even when feral they might have some memories that aren't theirs at all, but those of the human they spawned from.

For Champions memories of their feral stage might be kind of fuzzy, like watching somebody else in their body.

The short answer is that it varies. Higher intelligence will have a better chance at remembering stuff from their feral stage once they become Champions, and even when feral they might have some memories that aren't theirs at all, but those of the human they spawned from.

For Champions memories of their feral stage might be kind of fuzzy, like watching somebody else in their body.
Ah, cool, that was in the same vein as I was expecting so I won't need to really adjust much. Thank you!

IMG_20230120_143436216.jpg

I also may be swapping out Mulch for this fella, it's only a rough sketch of course but I think playing with a semi-humanoid saurian that has twin Doc Oc tails could be a lot of fun!

This is it stanced up, but I think it would alternate between bipedal and quadrupedal styles of locomotion. Whatever is more appropriate at the time.

You can also see where I reconsidered those mini tentacles by it's side lol. It's not a perfect vision of what I had in my head but it'll do as a ref!

View attachment 1059154

I also may be swapping out Mulch for this fella, it's only a rough sketch of course but I think playing with a semi-humanoid saurian that has twin Doc Oc tails could be a lot of fun!

This is it stanced up, but I think it would alternate between bipedal and quadrupedal styles of locomotion. Whatever is more appropriate at the time.

You can also see where I reconsidered those mini tentacles by it's side lol. It's not a perfect vision of what I had in my head but it'll do as a ref!
Certainly far better than I could do. Looks great, and I hope you enjoy playing it ^^

I believe I mentioned this at one point or another, but for the sake of making things easier for me, no.

If Zee had been up and kicking for a while now she'd have no reason to interact with the rest of our crew, she'd already have been trained and slapped into another group. And unfortunately having her on as an authority figure of some kind will fall somewhat flat because you'd have to keep asking me for behind the scenes looks at stuff to make her actually credible in this role.

I'm going to be giving this some thought. I've been feeling that I'm speaking (as it were) a related, but distinct, language from the rest of the cast. That's not especially unusual for me, but I'm really starting to think I might be too far into left field and difficult for this story.

That isn't an 'oh, poor me' - I'm recognizing that we have five people who used their lego kit to build the thing in the instruction book, and I'm in the corner having built a potato peeler with what was intended to be a spaceship. That isn't good or bad, wrong or right; it just is. I like Zee, but maybe this isn't the story for her, which is fine.

I'm going to be giving this some thought. I've been feeling that I'm speaking (as it were) a related, but distinct, language from the rest of the cast. That's not especially unusual for me, but I'm really starting to think I might be too far into left field and difficult for this story.

That isn't an 'oh, poor me' - I'm recognizing that we have five people who used their lego kit to build the thing in the instruction book, and I'm in the corner having built a potato peeler with what was intended to be a spaceship. That isn't good or bad, wrong or right; it just is. I like Zee, but maybe this isn't the story for her, which is fine.
Such is the nature of group RPs. Some creativity and freedom must be sacrificed for the sake of the group. We are but players in the GM's game.

Though, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be creative. You already have an extremely unique incarnate, and I'm sure Gnome will have times for each of us to shine individually as the story goes. Besides, being told a particular idea won't work for the group doesn't mean you aren't a good fit. It's OK to be told no from time to time. At least in my eyes, you fit in just fine.

I appreciate the thought, and I'm quite aware. This is not the issue with being told no - any adult (Certainly by my increasingly-feeling-advanced-age) should be able to deal with that, and it genuinely is not the problem. I've been looking over who and what I've written, along with the kind of story I feel like I'd like to participate in (Not tell - if I was interested in just telling a story, I'd go write one for the Writing subforum or my own amusement), and I'm seeing a lot of gaps.

Again, it's the feeling of being out of the paradigm. If I were to stand up a science fiction setting that had big spaceships, faster-than-light travel, and a cooperative of nominally-agreeable civilizations and the cast's focus on exploration, adventure, and Doing Good, you'd be correct in saying "Oh, that's Star Trek with the serial numbers filed off."

Here, I feel like the world we're in has at least a few rules and expectations I don't know, because I'm not familiar with the foundational material, and I gave in to my frequent urge to Do The Weird Thing. That's on me - and so is my lack of interest in playing through the origin story, as it were. I'm not saying that it's wrong or bad, just not the story I feel like spending a lot of time on right now.

I'm very aware that I wrote a really boring character for the "let's see what this baby can do" opening act, hence why I'd have liked her to be...past that part of the story; acting as a guide, mentor, or just an "oh crap there's a Big Monster and everyone else is on vacation at the bottom of a well; let's go get the New Guys I guess" figure. If that's not an option, and we're going to go through the Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters program first, I don't think Zee's a good fit, and I don't know that I'm a good player fit for that either.

Yes, all of that was in the OOC. I also wrote most of Zee in a couple of hours while all of that discussion was happening and I wasn't looking at it, and as I mentioned, I was kind of hoping for a bit of special dispensation. In the absence of that, I need to sit back and decide if I want to keep going,

I'm saying none of this in judgement, of course. I'm excited about my character and the cast, but I want everyone to have the fun they expect to have. My expectations were a little different, and may ultimately be incompatible, and that's okay.

I appreciate the thought, and I'm quite aware. This is not the issue with being told no - any adult (Certainly by my increasingly-feeling-advanced-age) should be able to deal with that, and it genuinely is not the problem. I've been looking over who and what I've written, along with the kind of story I feel like I'd like to participate in (Not tell - if I was interested in just telling a story, I'd go write one for the Writing subforum or my own amusement), and I'm seeing a lot of gaps.

Again, it's the feeling of being out of the paradigm. If I were to stand up a science fiction setting that had big spaceships, faster-than-light travel, and a cooperative of nominally-agreeable civilizations and the cast's focus on exploration, adventure, and Doing Good, you'd be correct in saying "Oh, that's Star Trek with the serial numbers filed off."

Here, I feel like the world we're in has at least a few rules and expectations I don't know, because I'm not familiar with the foundational material, and I gave in to my frequent urge to Do The Weird Thing. That's on me - and so is my lack of interest in playing through the origin story, as it were. I'm not saying that it's wrong or bad, just not the story I feel like spending a lot of time on right now.

I'm very aware that I wrote a really boring character for the "let's see what this baby can do" opening act, hence why I'd have liked her to be...past that part of the story; acting as a guide, mentor, or just an "oh crap there's a Big Monster and everyone else is on vacation at the bottom of a well; let's go get the New Guys I guess" figure. If that's not an option, and we're going to go through the Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters program first, I don't think Zee's a good fit, and I don't know that I'm a good player fit for that either.

Yes, all of that was in the OOC. I also wrote most of Zee in a couple of hours while all of that discussion was happening and I wasn't looking at it, and as I mentioned, I was kind of hoping for a bit of special dispensation. In the absence of that, I need to sit back and decide if I want to keep going,

I'm saying none of this in judgement, of course. I'm excited about my character and the cast, but I want everyone to have the fun they expect to have. My expectations were a little different, and may ultimately be incompatible, and that's okay.
Oh, yeah. That totally sounds like it's on you. XD That's kind of the nature of group RPs. Expecting a special role, separate from the rest of the group, without being GM or co-GM is something that should be discussed with the GM beforehand, as opposed to going through all the motions expecting things to pan out. Communication is key, and definitely something I've learned over the years. Especially when I try to play characters like Wumsy that would have access to knowledge that not only I, but others in the group wouldn't have access to either.

All that said, I find your character far from boring. I picture them doing great with Wumsy's curiosity, due to their unique circumstance. I hope you choose to continue with us, for what it's worth. Of course, I also don't want you to push yourself if you'll just be bored or get burned out.

Naril Naril , ultimately the choice is yours but the sooner you can decide the better. If you want to dip out I'll contact one of the runner ups and have them take your place, and there will obviously be no hard feelings!

Unfortunately it seems I'm not able to accommodate what you're after, but as you've pointed out, it seems that's mostly due to crucial information slipping you by and you latching on to the misconception you had of what this RP would entail. I've got a plan in place (Kind of, I'll be able to say that with more confidence tomorrow lol) and I'm not a skilled enough GM, nor do I have the time to work with as many deviances from the advertised role as you're after.

That being said, we've worked through things together to get your character as far as we have and in it's current state I'm happy to GM for her. But if you know you won't have fun in the role I've allocated to my players, then by all means jump ship! Once again, ultimately it's up to you.

Last edited:
I have been communicating; I had to ask very directly because I wasn't getting an answer and had bowled ahead with something I was hoping was halfway reasonable. Life isn't perfect, and we all make mistakes.

I don't think Zee is boring, I think the "find out what your mutant power is" sequence for someone whose Cool Ability is Not Getting Hurt is not that interesting - and I have a lack of interest in academy/boot camp/school stories. What's her story here - A test cell where she's being shot at with bigger and bigger guns until she says ouch? Exploring the edges of how much money could make if she'd decided to be an underground pit fighter rather than making the active choice to go be a superhero? Her summoned creature is internal and generally isn't around for other people to talk to - the bonding between them is a fascinating character study that has little externality; there's not a lot of excitement in watching Zee talk to her own brain. She's a character written for after the graduation ceremony, after figuring out what her abilities are, and for whom the 'okay, how did you figure that out?' is taken as read, rather than the central thrust of the story.

That being said, I'm going to go have lunch and think. There might be a way forward, but if there isn't, I have an interesting character seed to put back in the metaphorical vault, and I'm only out an afternoon's worth of time. I've spent much longer for much less.

Ah, the wonderful world of the thread not having refreshed.

Yeah, I'm out - I hope you all have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back