Video Games In your opinion, what are some of the most overrated video games?

I remembered I actually really, really disliked Nier: Automata. There were certain plot decisions I hated and I am not going to spoil those, but I will say this-- the anime-like expression of emotions really dragged it down. It gave me a second-hand embarrassment so strong I could no longer take it seriously. Pro tip: if shit is so over the top your audience is laughing instead of sympathizing with the characters, then you failed.

Bafflingly enough, I found most of the side quests fun and well-written. It was the main story that had me rolling my eyes all the time.

To quote Narancia: "I'll fuckin' say it! Here we fuckin' go!!!"
Call of Duty is the most bland, boring, and generic shooter series on the entire market, and shouldn't get any more sequels. Yes, the multiplayer is kind of fun, but the community is god-awful in my experiences, so much so that I abandoned the franchise altogether.

To quote Narancia: "I'll fuckin' say it! Here we fuckin' go!!!"
Call of Duty is the most bland, boring, and generic shooter series on the entire market, and shouldn't get any more sequels. Yes, the multiplayer is kind of fun, but the community is god-awful in my experiences, so much so that I abandoned the franchise altogether.

I like the older ones, but basically anything after Modern Warfare got bland.

I like the older ones, but basically anything after Modern Warfare got bland.
I guess I got my daily dose of shooters from the Medal of Honor franchise, 007 GoldenEye, and Perfect Dark, as opposed to COD. I had a very Nintendo-Oriented childhood.

quick edit: Medal of Honor came almost 5 years before Call of Duty, IIRC. I just know it came first.

I personally just couldn’t get into MOBAs (Dota, LoL) and Battle Royale sort of games. I really wanted to like MOBAs, but I just didn’t have a good experience with them and Battle Royale players can get too hostile (on mic and outside just the regular game itself).

I personally just couldn’t get into MOBAs (Dota, LoL) and Battle Royale sort of games. I really wanted to like MOBAs, but I just didn’t have a good experience with them and Battle Royale players can get too hostile (on mic and outside just the regular game itself).
I personally enjoy Apex Legends, for 2 reasons.
1. You can mute every player at the start of the match. This was reason number 69,421 as to why I left the Fortnite playerbase. I Hate Voice chatting with strangers.
2. I literally only log on with either my friends or my girlfriend online. The game is LEAGUES better with friends and people to play with.

But I can't make a case for MOBAs. That community is so toxic I could barely finish the first match I ever played.

Smash Bros. Ultimate.

The gameplay is decent, but nothing extraordinary - and the fanbase has had a lot of uhh. *controversies* as of late.

Depends on where you look, but Super Mario Odyssey was regarded in high esteem where I felt it lacked a lot of challenge/gameplay curve (especially in the boss battles) that made the other 3D Marios well-rounded experiences. I personally prefer the 3D World format and don't think the collectathon formula is as fun as well-crafted level-based missions.

Just my own two cents!!

Apex Legends is severely overrated, as well as many other games that I could say right now, but I'm holding back so I don't get killed in my sleep

Also a nod to the owner of this thread; Fnaf is not overrated, because nobody even gets the kicks from the jumpscares. Not anymore, at least they stopped being that scared years ago. The lore and the functionality, as well as a good creator, keep it running.

Doki Doki Literature club.
As much as I like this game, for me it seems that its like more because of it's concept than it's actual content.

Some of the games mentioned make me so sad. I feel like people don't read the tinier details that lead up to big key points in the story or simply don't find the smaller details because they don't look and then turn around and say its bad writing 😭 Like for FNAF a lot of the details are actually in the blueprints for the animatronics themselves, the tapes and mini games. Its not just jumpscares but you play through what happened to owners children and it explains a lot of why the machines are the way they are and why each one was created.

With that said I feel like dating sim games are overrated. Those are games I feel actually lack any good story telling.

I kind of agree with Enigma in dating sim games. Personally, I feel like most dating sim games stories are just: you're given a brief introduction on what has happened, the mc, the love targets (with backstories and personalities that feels repetitive at some point), and then you choose whose route you want to go through or pick choices that make you closer to your target if you don't have to choose from the get-go.

I do like dating sims that have fewer love targets (3-5) because I feel that each of their routes and personalities are more well-written, more fleshed out, and doesn't get repetitive.

That aside, though, I don't really have fun playing Among Us when playing with randoms. Most of the randoms I've played with likes to quit mid-game (usually because they don't get the impostor role).

Probs Fallout 76 for me. Played it during a free weekend last year and imo it felt like a Fallout 4 multi-player mod.

I honestly wouldn't say that game is over-rated. It's pretty widely hated from what I've seen. Far more people seem to dislike it than those who like it.

I honestly wouldn't say that game is over-rated. It's pretty widely hated from what I've seen. Far more people seem to dislike it than those who like it.
Damn you made me realize I totally missed the point of this thread and accidentally mistook "overrated" with "disappointing"

I'll say it. Here we go.

The Last of Us has a fantastic story and I will not deny that, but the controls are ASS. I even played the remaster, and still hated how it controlled. I was constantly mispressing things because none of the layouts make any sense!

I know this has already been mentioned once, but Among Us is really overhyped imho. Probably just because I am bad at lying and my favorite part is just doing my little tasks lolol

Tokyo Afterschool Summoners. It has a compelling story and lovable character's, along with a very good gacha system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back