Lurker in Darkness
Welcome to a retro-futuristic raygun-gothic science fiction planetary romance adventure, set in a solar system just a tad more interesting than ours!
The great Space Race culminated in the five year Lunar War between the Soviets and the Americans. Five years later, tensions are still high, but peace feels possible. To avoid another violent end to good intentions, the future of space exploration is tucked snugly into the united hands of the historic Global Space Alliance. But this future - and a fledgling global peace - are thrown into question when their first mission - to explore the yet-unknown surface of mysterious Venus - is met with disaster, its crew of five disappearing beneath the heavy clouds without even a goodbye.
Desperate to grasp victory from the jaws of defeat, the GSA recruits its two finest agents from across the world to be dispatched on an emergency mission: recover the lost expedition, and unravel the secrets of Venus.
Unfortunately, these agents haven't seen each other in five years - not since they faced off as rivals on opposing sides of the Great Lunar War.
The three month trip to Venus, cramped in a hastily-made rocket, was awkward. But the strange and steamy planet of intrigue and adventure may be a little too hot for even our fine heroes to handle.
The below expectations are for an ideal scenario. If this interest check excited you and you have a different experience to offer than the one I've laid out below, please contact me regardless!
- Length -->
- I'm not a stickler for length - quality over quantity. My own style aims to never include unnecessary details, while always including something actionable for my partner (eg. dialogue, action, or an intentional lack thereof).
- Average 100-200 words, with possibility for far shorter posts in dialogue/action and far longer posts when our characters are separated.
- Frequency -->
- At least one post per day between the two of us. On days where an in character post isn't possible, an OOC post (just to keep communication going, to let each other know when we'll be able to post in character again) is preferred.
- I also really enjoy rapid-fire RP, especially for dialogue/action where posts tend to be short any way. If we happen to both be on at the same time and manage to exchange 20-30 posts over an hour or two, I will be a very happy roleplayer.
- Ghosting -->
- If you need to disappear for a little while, you do you, and know that so long as I'm still around when you return I'll probably be happy to jump back into the RP. A heads up or a check-in is always nice but I understand that sometimes life catches us by surprise.
- Length -->
In case it wasn't clear from the RP premise above, our two characters were on opposing sides of the Great Lunar War between the East and the West, and have both been called in now because their reputations precede them. They may have known each other personally in the war, or heard about each other's exploits from afar. But the war is now behind them and they're both eager to do their part in this new order - if only the other would get out of their way.
- I'm fine with F/F, F/M, M/M, NB/M, NB/F, NB/NB etc. and I can play either role.
- I prefer to leave the 'endgame' of a relationship undecided until the end. Sometimes a romance is only a good story if it ends.
- Also open to platonic/non-romantic.
- The Red Oni/Blue Oni dynamic might be an excellent guide by which to develop our characters against each other.
- When you contact me, I'll send a far larger list of plot/trope ideas we could draw inspiration from.
- Retro Sci-Fi Adventure Stories
- Old Venus and Old Mars anthologies
- Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon
- Edgar Rice Burroughs (John Carter of Mars)
- Star Trek (especially original series era)
- Star Wars
- The Lost World (Arthur Conan Doyle)
- Indiana Jones
If you're interested, send me a PM or respond to this thread. Try to include the following elements in your message:
- Some notes on the character you might want to play
- Some specific plot ideas/scenes/worldbuilding/tropes that came to mind while reading this interest check
- Maybe some media you'll be inspired by?
- Any expectations you have for your partners