News In Response To the "Trump Thread"

SmugViking

A Box of Cosmic Brownies
If the Really Real News network were to provide a venue for civilized political discussion and debate, would everyone be willing to remain civil, or are you going to big poopy stinkyheads? >: (

200.gif

Some will be civil, but only because their mental and spiritual maturity is more advanced. Some unfortunately lack the capacity to post their beliefs and accept the fact that other people will think differently.

Meaning that some people will respect each other's beliefs, like you see already happens on this site... and some will drag the discussion off topic and reduce themselves to insult throwing children because they don't know when it's time to stop talking.

Personally, I like open minded debates. But once both sides have made their beliefs clear and there is nothing else good to say, I will wave goodbye to a discussion before it loses its civility.

If the Really Real News network were to provide a venue for civilized political discussion and debate, would everyone be willing to remain civil, or are you going to big poopy stinkyheads? >: (
Internet forums are the wrong place to look for real discussion revolving around politics.

Last edited:
Internet forums are the wrong place to look for real discussion revolving politics.

Actually, it's the best place to look for real discussion revolving politics nowadays. If you go to a public place and try to discuss politics, you'll have people attack you, get you fired from your jobs, even kill you. Internet forums are the only place where you can keep relative anonymity and discuss your opinions.

Actually, it's the best place to look for real discussion revolving politics nowadays. If you go to a public place and try to discuss politics, you'll have people attack you, get you fired from your jobs, even kill you. Internet forums are the only place where you can keep relative anonymity and discuss your opinions.
Internet forums are also where people will troll. They will present posts and arguments based entirely on feelings and opinion. Or will simply know little about what they're talking about

As much as I want there to be meaningful discussion, it's a shouting match of opinion.

Internet forums are also where people will troll. They will present posts and arguments based entirely on feelings and opinion. Or will simply know little about what they're talking about

As much as I want there to be meaningful discussion, it's a shouting match of opinion.

In comparison those consequences are favorable to the alternative consequences. Not that either set is good but, yknow, is what it is. Sadly I think it's not within the sites interest to create a forum for that again due to the moderation force needed to maintain it.

In comparison those consequences are favorable to the alternative consequences. Not that either set is good but, yknow, is what it is. Sadly I think it's not within the sites interest to create a forum for that again due to the moderation force needed to maintain it.
Anarchist, huh? I bet you step on lawns when there's a sign saying "don't step on the grass" in big bold red letters, ya filthy animal.

What would be the alternative consequences are we talking about here?

Anarchist, huh? I bet you step on lawns when there's a sign saying "don't step on the grass" in big bold red letters, ya filthy animal.

I also leave toilet seats up. I'm a monster.

What would be the alternative consequences are we talking about here?

The aforementioned consequences of voicing your opinion in a public setting. If you think what you see online is bad you should see how people can get when it comes to politics. Not everyone, but it's the same as online, not everyone is a moron in a discussion.

I also leave toilet seats up. I'm a monster.

The aforementioned consequences of voicing your opinion in a public setting. If you think what you see online is bad you should see how people can get when it comes to politics. Not everyone, but it's the same as online, not everyone is a moron in a discussion.
Okay I'm a strong advocate of freedom of speech. I think what was being said in that thread blended between ignorance and being idealogical retards,but I would defend their right to say it. It's just when the op was talking about being civil, it made me laugh. Because online discussion forums are the least likely place for that to occur.

Okay I'm a strong advocate of freedom of speech. I think what was being said in that thread blended between ignorance and being idealogical retards,but I would defend their right to say it. It's just when the op was talking about being civil, it made me laugh. Because online discussion forums are the least likely place for that to occur.
No matter where an argument is held, without moderation and/or law enforcement, it will lose its civility, simply because some people don't have the self respect to keep their mouths shut in the presence of differing opinions.

The thing is that a roleplaying forum isn't the right place to discuss politics, where it can be full of angsty teens who take all of their infos from tumblr.
If one wishes to discuss about politics they should find a politics forum. They'd still be at risk of getting yelled at, but at least there's more chance of people knowing what they're talking about.

I'll also say once more that this is a roleplay site. A politics forum would fit here as it would fit on a cooking blog.

No matter where an argument is held, without moderation and/or law enforcement, it will lose its civility, simply because some people don't have the self respect to keep their mouths shut in the presence of differing opinions.
Why do people have to keep their mouths shut? The point of an argument, which is different from a shouting match, is to debate these opinions. Nothing is set in stone 100 percent or life would be fairly easy to navigate. You shouldn't have to keep your mouth shut in the presence of arguments you find awful. You don't even need to be civilized, whatever that may mean. All you have to do is have the facts and intelligence to convey them to support your side.

Why do people have to keep their mouths shut? The point of an argument, which is different from a shouting match, is to debate these opinions. Nothing is set in stone 100 percent or life would be fairly easy to navigate. You shouldn't have to keep your mouth shut in the presence of arguments you find awful. You don't even need to be civilized, whatever that may mean. All you have to do is have the facts and intelligence to convey them to support your side.

The way I feel about it, I'm going to say my bit, and if people are willing to *respectfully* discuss it with me, then we're good. If I don't like their opinion, I can try reasoning, but eventually you just find out what kind of a person you're talking to and it is time to let it slide.

For example, I currently have a Pro-Life thread up. Do I agree with everyone's opinions there? No, I do not. Some of them make my stomach turn. But I don't waste my time with people who are set in their beliefs or with trolls. Some people just don't change. When you meet those kinds of people, just respect that not everyone is a character clone of yourself and agree to disagree. I'm a stubborn young woman, I would know.

I certainly advocate for free speech so I'm with you 100%. The sad fact of the matter SmugViking SmugViking was pointing out is that they're likely the safest place to have those discussions due to the nature of people nowadays.

The thing is that a roleplaying forum isn't the right place to discuss politics, where it can be full of angsty teens who take all of their infos from tumblr.
If one wishes to discuss about politics they should find a politics forum. They'd still be at risk of getting yelled at, but at least there's more chance of people knowing what they're talking about.

I'll also say once more that this is a roleplay site. A politics forum would fit here as it would fit on a cooking blog.

At this point in the discussion we are talking about online forums being the a better medium, not roleplaying specifically. I believe we all already agree there's no place for it, it's already been attempted and did not remain for a number of reasons.

The way I feel about it, I'm going to say my bit, and if people are willing to *respectfully* discuss it with me, then we're good. If I don't like their opinion, I can try reasoning, but eventually you just find out what kind of a person you're talking to and it is time to let it slide.

For example, I currently have a Pro-Life thread up. Do I agree with everyone's opinions there? No, I do not. Some of them make my stomach turn. But I don't waste my time with people who are set in their beliefs or with trolls. Some people just don't change. When you meet those kinds of people, just respect that not everyone is a character clone of yourself and agree to disagree. I'm a stubborn young woman, I would know.
Debates are merely the clashing of facts, but they are not the clash of truth. I'm not saying to deal with people who are brick walls,but rather you should be able to address their arguments or opinions
with facts. Civility and respect mean nothing. I can politely and respectfully ask someone to kill themselves, using language as such Please and thank you.but it doesn't make what I said okay. So rather than caring about how nice someone is, all that really matters is that they dabble in fact.

I certainly advocate for free speech so I'm with you 100%. The sad fact of the matter SmugViking SmugViking was pointing out is that they're likely the safest place to have those discussions due to the nature of people nowadays.
Kind of. I said these forums aren't the place to have civil discussion and he disagreed. That's about it. I still stand by my statement, that people on the internet are either incapable of being nice or they simply choose not to. Which is what his op and reason for this thread is. He wants everyone to nicely discuss trump. That's just not something this forum's population has shown they are capable or willing to do.

Debates are merely the clashing of facts, but they are not the clash of truth. I'm not saying to deal with people who are brick walls,but rather you should be able to address their arguments or opinions
with facts. Civility and respect mean nothing. I can politely and respectfully ask someone to kill themselves, using language as such Please and thank you.but it doesn't make what I said okay. So rather than caring about how nice someone is, all that really matters is that they dabble in fact.

Kind of. I said these forums aren't the place to have civil discussion and he disagreed. That's about it. I still stand by my statement, that people on the internet are either incapable of being nice or they simply choose not to. Which is what his op and reason for this thread is. He wants everyone to nicely discuss trump. That's just not something this forum's population has shown they are capable or willing to do.
I must have misread the main point. Regardless though my point stands. This is, of course, not the forum for that though.

And no, that certainly cannot. Not many people period can discuss trump lmao.

except for the part where we had people defending trump ;/

except for the part where we had people defending trump ;/
What? Supporting or villifying trump has nothing to do with what I said. You can defend the god emperor and be just as stupid as his dissentors. My post was addressing people's inability or unwillingness to play nice. lol

I must have misread the main point. Regardless though my point stands. This is, of course, not the forum for that though.

And no, that certainly cannot. Not many people period can discuss trump lmao.
Nonsense, any forum can be a place of discussion. When you restrict what can be said on the forum, it devalues the use of it. If people can't talk politics on rpn, they'll just find a place where they can discuss whatever they want freely.

What? Supporting or villifying trump has nothing to do with what I said. You can defend the god emperor and be just as stupid as his dissenters. My post was addressing people's inability or unwillingness to play nice. lol

but there was people playing nice was the point of my post.

We have the right to challenge and directly question those opinions. We shouldn't fall in the trap of relavatism and condone every belief as right. This isn't a echo-chamber for your beliefs. A debate is a palce where you explore both the current situation and issues of the topic that you are discussing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back