What's new
  • When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

News & Updates In Regards to BBCode+ and BBscript

yousmelldead

𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐬𝐢𝐚
While this is upsetting it’s almost a relief. This site is for writing and I know the codes have been a take-over if you will. I loved seeing codes for everything and I am one who loves to create the codes however I feel like now it goes back to just the writing. Thank you all for doing your best! I’m sure you’re going to get a lot of backlash for this but at the end of the day roleplaying is for writing not for coding.

foxgloves

gods aren’t infallible
Although I understand the process behind the decision, this somewhat feels like a slap in the face to people who have created codes for the site. Even though I personally never created code, I know how much work goes into each piece. The site is about writing, yes, but people also put so much work into creating codes for the writers of the website to add a bit more love and flair to their work.

Hanarei

Rawr-ness
Well Div is going, time to see more cases of people having off matching color text (whether from neglect or not realizing they didn't manually change the text color for a particular part of text) due to not accounting for text color being different between light and dark mode. Shame in general though since Div was just a nice organized way of doing a lot of the formatting for the whole post at one place instead of manually having to do it through the entire post.

Hopefully there is something put in its place to sort of help with that, though I'm a little doubtful given that is probably more work then just keeping Div boxes in. The other tags lost, while a bit sad aren't as impactful at least for me and I don't think as big a deal unless your going code heavy. Well berhaps BR... that actually might hurt too for formatting things depending how finicky it is with spaces in posts.

Alteras

The Sleepy One
Supporter
Unfortunately this has to happen. I myself am devastated, as I have spent a long time with bbcode+ and bbscript. If there is some good news, we do plan on eventually bringing bbcode+ or something similar to it back, but that will be far into future. For now, we can only ask that you endure not having bbcode+ available.

Fluxbauble

I dont fully understand what's happening as I'm not exactly code savvy. But after reading the thread I think I understand a little about what's going on. You're trying to make the site more sustainable by phasing out a rather complex system that allows for custom codes right? That makes sense.

I will admit I have wondered how some posts were standout gorgeous compared to mine which were standard posts to say the least. I had no idea that an advanced code was the reasoning for it. Though it did provide some visual appeal at the end of the day I was still reading and writing.

I can understand some growing pains are going to take place while you all find an alternative for the more code savvy folks. At least you're trying which is more than I can say for other sites I've visited. Which is probably why I usually end up coming back here.

I don't personally believe this decision will critically affect me but I do hope that those it does affect won't be too hurt by this announcement. It would be a shame to lose such creative minds because of this, but whatever happens I'm at least happy you're all putting forth an effort to make our experience worthwhile. And that's good enough for me.

PanOtterPus

Chief of Panda Division
I just wanted to say that I'm genuinely warmed by the positivity in here. I know not everyone is happy, and its honestly not a decision that was made lightly. It's what's best for the site for now and all we can promise is that solutions are being looked into. But for now, this is what we have to go with.

As someone who doesn't code herself, I admire the hard work y'all put into your coding and I'm truly sorry if this change upsets you 💜 just know that every decision made regarding the site is carefully thought through and planned. And it's never intended to upset anyone.

Gilzar

Bear With Me Here ?
Administrator
Although I understand the process behind the decision, this somewhat feels like a slap in the face to people who have created codes for the site. Even though I personally never created code, I know how much work goes into each piece.
We're being very transparent with our intentions here. It's not intended to be a slap in the face for anyone. I understand people are going to be upset that this is discontinuing, but we just don't have the resources to keep using it.

foxgloves

gods aren’t infallible
We're being very transparent with our intentions here. It's not intended to be a slap in the face for anyone. I understand people are going to be upset that this is discontinuing, but we just don't have the resources to keep using it.
I know it wasn't the intention, and I do understand the decision. I'm just saying it is a bit upsetting for a lot of the community members here, especially creators who put a lot of work into making free codes for us.

The Common Cold

Clichéd Tsundere
Maybe I'll be able to read some RPs going forward, now!
Unfortunately this has to happen. I myself am devastated, as I have spent a long time with bbcode+ and bbscript. If there is some good news, we do plan on eventually bringing bbcode+ or something similar to it back, but that will be far into future. For now, we can only ask that you endure not having bbcode+ available.
This is why in my RPs I don't use color codes I know are going to clash and the main body is a "default" text color. So it appears whatever the default is for either mode.

At any rate, with this update maybe I'll be able to read some RPs going forward, now. There was a lot of issues with the almost Tumblr-like aesthetics. Maybe I'm just getting old but I'm happy we're going to focus on content more than aesthetics a bit better. We're probably still going to have basic features so there is that, but I'm glad I don't have to worry about this issue anymore. Sucks for people who liked it, of course, but I as one person won't be missing it.

marc122

chew
Maybe I'll be able to read some RPs going forward, now!

This is why in my RPs I don't use color codes I know are going to clash and the main body is a "default" text color. So it appears whatever the default is for either mode.

At any rate, with this update maybe I'll be able to read some RPs going forward, now. There was a lot of issues with the almost Tumblr-like aesthetics. Maybe I'm just getting old but I'm happy we're going to focus on content more than aesthetics a bit better. We're probably still going to have basic features so there is that, but I'm glad I don't have to worry about this issue anymore. Sucks for people who liked it, of course, but I as one person won't be missing it.
As much as it pains me to see our codes going away for quite a while, I won't disagree that quite a few of those codes I've came across in the past weren't that easy to read. Although I do see potential in the Tumblr-esque aesthetic, to me, it can be easier to get carried away with it. Of course, I will admit that I have been a bit of a minimalist-minded code kind of person (well, except that one time I got carried away with recreating a simple YouTube animation lol), which contributes to my biases, but still though, that's how I see such a thing.

Virus

The good the Bad, and the dirty
So a couple question (little curious over here) all of my character sheets, and coded beginning posts are basically shit once the plug is pulled?

I also have to use regular bbcoding and not plus?

And are the simple codes such as spoilers and such messed up with the plug being pulled?

And a quick message.
I love to code, it's just going to be a pain in the butt when + is removed, but it will mean its just a new challenge, a new quest, a new breakthrough. Just because this plug is pulled, doesn't mean it's the end of the site (or the end of the world! unless....)
And I'm rather concerned about this coding challenge cause who knows if there's going to be obstacles and bosses about this, we just need to step up and help each other.

Coders unite, it's going to be rough in the longrun, but we can pull through this hard time just like we are with the virus.

Alteras

The Sleepy One
Supporter
So a couple question (little curious over here) all of my character sheets, and coded beginning posts are basically shit once the plug is pulled?

I also have to use regular bbcoding and not plus?

And are the simple codes such as spoilers and such messed up with the plug being pulled?

And a quick message.
I love to code, it's just going to be a pain in the butt when + is removed, but it will mean its just a new challenge, a new quest, a new breakthrough. Just because this plug is pulled, doesn't mean it's the end of the site (or the end of the world! unless....)
And I'm rather concerned about this coding challenge cause who knows if there's going to be obstacles and bosses about this, we just need to step up and help each other.

Coders unite, it's going to be rough in the longrun, but we can pull through this hard time just like we are with the virus.
Basic BBCode will still remain. All BBCode+ will just not render and will appear as plain text instead.

irenic

Black Lives Matter
Although it sucks that coding will be cut a bit. I’m glad this site isn’t going to just be about coding, it’s an rp site, people come to roleplay and express their creative writing and then some. It’s cool that we all had the opportunity to see the creative codes that people put time and work into but the content should be more important than the design of how it looks. Just my opinion.

Rustic

Drunken Bumpkin

when you've just finished a bbcode+ code for the first time in years only to find out bbcode+ is gonna be gone in a month anyway

when you realize this gives you an excuse to try and make new codes with the tools you'll still have available to you

AnimeGenork

The Duck Overlord
It's times like this I remember just how much work goes into this site, and I fully and wholly support and appreciate the staff for all the hard work they've put into it! I'm sad to see so many pretty codes go away (maybe it's good I decided not to delve into the + stuff!), but I have hope that something new will come! I still have an old HTML code a friend made for me back in the days of yore, and I'm really excited to see what will come of this change! Through the (how many? 3? 4?) updates since I've been on this site, we've made it through, and I think we can make it through this.

I didn't use many DIVs (just the image-y thing and hidden scrolling), so it looks like I have some backing up to do, just in case, but now it looks like I'll have an even greater excuse to come up with some new designs for the simple things I was always up to!

Again, much love to the staff and best wishes that things will work out for everybody! <3

Serenity123

Are there any coding experts around who could take a look at a post template I use? It does use scrolls and div= commands but otherwise may be able to be altered enough to work on basic BBCODE? I am not proficient enough to do any those changes though without a lot of trial n error.

If you can find a way to salvage the code than your free to use it as well for your posts as an incentive for someone who can manipulate it?

send me a private message please!

s e v e n

goth bitch ♡ art: peritwinkle
Lol I'm going up and down this thread bcos I'm still in denial ngl aldjkakda

But hey, I get it. It's for the betterment of the site. Who am I to judge?

Also for those of you who say that ppl who gets overly bummed forgets that this is a rpsite and not a coding site, I get it, but I'm just saying coding aesthetically, while not the everything, is like a little cherry on the top of a sweet tall ice cream, which is the RP. It's not everything but I would be lying if it isn't fun/it doesn't have its appeals.

So really, I hope it comes back one day. Maybe in the form of HTML? That'd be an easy shift. Coders, stay strong, back up all your files just in case. Whatever is to come is for the better, I trust the admins for that. It's not an easy choice after all.

Aight, peace.

Lekiel

Two Thousand Club
That works. I can edit them into the first post.

DIVs will be offline for a while, because at some point they got coupled into BBC+. I have full intentions of restoring DIVs at some point
DIVSSSS ARE COMING BACK!!!!!!!

I'M SO HAPPY *sniff* i can live with just divs and normal bbcode :,)

Are they going to work the same? As in how you write the code.
EDIT: found my answer! Sorry, posted too early from excitement.

Also someone mentored gdocs... I've seen posts link a presentation long ago, and they look equally stunning. Is that still working?

Last edited:

komorebi

𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘬 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘺
to be super, duper honest, this is actually kind of a relief to me. i haven't been around this website very long at all but i was noticing some prejudice against character sheets and roleplays that didn't use coding, even if the roleplay or character was great. somebody shouldn't have to be able to code to be considered as a roleplay partner. roleplaying just... isn't about coding. it's a beautiful addition, yes, and it definitely made rpn unique... but i don't think roleplaying should be a beauty competition.

nevertheless, the codes people created were very beautiful and i feel terrible for coders who are going to see them go. it is really sad. and when coding comes back (in whatever form it takes) i hope to learn it myself because it seems really fun!

even with the coding gone we will be left with an awesome community filled with talented writers. we will survive.
;3:

BlueMinto

super into neko bois atm
Thanks for the warning.
I know im pretty new to the site but this somewhat bums me out for i had just learned the joys of having code in my life.
The only reason ive been getting so much foot traffic lately was due to those codes. With the aid of the codes i had input...people could see how much work, time, effort and thought was put into my post.

Yes i agree with everyone that a code on your post shouldn't be the factor of a great roleplayer but having a nice and organized post can be life or death. Like having a really polished resume when going out for a job.
the coding was a nice way to wrap everything together with aesthethic visuals and symbols.

it would smack in the face and show off something that wasnt just plain text in a post with no real effort.

it's a shame but completely understandable.
sorry for the typos as i am on my phone, haha.
Thank you for the warning, again, as i will begin saving!

edit---
i do also agree with most posters. I feel a lot of roleplayers will mass exodus over this....leaving people who are mostly interested in dnd-esque roleplaying.
nothing wrong with that...just id like slice of life, slow-burn romance stuff once in a while yknow? A guy can dream haha!

Last edited:

Lekiel

Two Thousand Club
Thanks for the warning.
I know im pretty new to the site but this somewhat bums me out for i had just learned the joys of having code in my life.
The only reason ive been getting so much foot traffic lately was due to those codes. With the aid of the codes i had input...people could see how much work, time, effort and thought was put into my post.

Yes i agree with everyone that a code on your post shouldn't be the factor of a great roleplayer but having a nice and organized post can be life or death. Like having a really polished resume when going out for a job.
the coding was a nice way to wrap everything together with aesthethic visuals and symbols.

it would smack in the face and show off something that wasnt just plain text in a post with no real effort.

it's a shame but completely understandable.
sorry for the typos as i am on my phone, haha.
Thank you for the warning, again, as i will begin saving!

edit---
i do also agree with most posters. I feel a lot of roleplayers will mass exodus over this....leaving people who are mostly interested in dnd-esque roleplaying.
nothing wrong with that...just id like slice of life, slow-burn romance stuff once in a while yknow? A guy can dream haha!
I don't think the lack of bbcode+ will affect slice-of-life stuffs any more than dnd-esque rping though ^3^ both are rps all the same. With equal parts writing, equal parts imaginative flair and a healthy dash of effort.

But maybe now that everyone's post will have more focus on quality of writing (somehow i doubt it, ppl will still find a way, such is the creative spark) it should level the playing field so to speak. But all these is just my digression.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)