What's new
  • When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

News & Updates In Regards to BBCode+ and BBscript

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
i'm glad you've found some community here. however, manipulating and using codes for roleplays has added in a tremendously positive way to my experience of this site. it's about to lose a lot of appeal.
I'm sorry you feel that way, I know that this decision and the waiting period, won't be easy. But BBCodes aren't going away, nor is our amazing writing community. Alteras Alteras and I are already working on alternatives to this custom language.

Ayama

Enthusiast
[div=display: inline-block; margin: 0px auto; width: auto; max-width: 550px; border-left: 2px solid #45b39d; border-right: 2px solid #45b39d; padding: 10px; text-align: justify; color: #0e6251;]Since I don't see it in the page, does this mean [code][/code] won't work anymore either? :/ It would be an easy way to save obsolete coldes ^^"[/div]

Nano

artistic shrimp
[div=display: inline-block; margin: 0px auto; width: auto; max-width: 550px; border-left: 2px solid #45b39d; border-right: 2px solid #45b39d; padding: 10px; text-align: justify; color: #0e6251;]Since I don't see it in the page, does this mean [code][/code] won't work anymore either? :/ It would be an easy way to save obsolete coldes ^^"[/div]
afaik anything that doesn't involve divs and scripts should count as bbcode

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
We realize that code and a few others are not a part of the guide, because we only wrote it in addition to the ones existing naturally in the software. So code boxes are fine!

Naberius

Champion Of Christmas
Supporter
To be fair, for several of the people here, if you were only sticking around because the codes made posts more pleasing to look at, you weren't exactly in it for the roleplay anyway, just the aesthetic of the codes. Sure they added quite a nice bit of diversity, but again, RPN is first and foremost a roleplaying site, not a forum to show off blocks of code that make things look pretty. It's all about the experience that you get joining a great game, finding that one DM you like the most, that group you'll stick with for years to come. A community is the individuals that are a part of it, not the code that makes that really cool character sheet possible.

Alteras

The Sleepy One
Supporter
Here's the full list of tags that won't be actively supported or expected to not have full support:
Code:
[div= ][/div]
[div class=][/div]
[class=][/class]
[class name=][/class]
[animation=][/animation]
[keyframe=][/keyframe]
[script=][/script]
[script class=][/script]
[input][/input]
[nobr][/nobr]
[br][/br]
[import=][/import]
[export][/export]
There might be some that does survive, but these are the tags that were released when BBCode+ was released, so don't expect them to survive.

Last edited:

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Here's the full list of tags that won't be actively supported or expected to not have full support:
Code:
[div= ][/div]
[div class=][/div]
[class=][/class]
[class name=][/class]
[animation=][/animation]
[keyframe=][/keyframe]
[script=][/script]
[script class=][/script]
[nobr][/nobr]
[br][/br]
[import=][/import]
[export][/export]
[comment][/comment]
There might be some that does survive, but these are the tags that were released when BBCode+ was released, so don't expect them to survive.
Actually comment is not tied to BBC+, that's a part of the normal suite. So that will make it.

FaithWynters

The Cuppycakecreep
As a software dev I always wondered what regression on such a massive custom system like this looked like for you guys whenever you pushed out new updates. It was always daunting for me to think about tbh. Makes sooo much sense that something like this would be edged out for maintainability. Thank you for making the hard decision now. As much as it hurts folks, the less users/posts are affected the better imo ^.^ Rip it off like a bandaid.

Welp boys and girls, time to head back to the olden days of BBCode tables to get all that fancy div-floaty goodness that you want. (IMHO people were making some cool aesthetic stuff before BBC+) We'll pour one out for the scripting homies though, in remembrance.

Mitheral

"Growf!"
The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard LOL, save yourself a few keystrokes and put out a new thread that tells everyone what is staying, maybe edit as you go for the few not in the tutorial that will remain, like Code.

natasha.

𝘪 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘮𝘺 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘦
Code:
[div= ][/div]
[div class=][/div]
[class=][/class]
[class name=][/class]
[animation=][/animation]
[keyframe=][/keyframe]
[script=][/script]
[script class=][/script]
[nobr][/nobr]
[br][/br]
[import=][/import]
[export][/export]
div boxes were part of original bbcode as well, i think? those won't be around anymore either?

marc122

chew
As someone who has learned BBscript and BBcode+ a few months ago, I am very sad to see it go. My most recent codes rely on BBcode+ tabs instead of normal ones, and one of them relies heavily on BBscript for addClass and timeouts for an animated intro. Is there any functional alternative for those?

EDIT: My codes, since I started using classes, have [class name=] (majority of code that I otherwise would've had to type all over again), [nobr], [script=] (started using as of joining a recent RP I'm on, and mainly for part of the fancy tabs I'm using and for a signup post's intro), as well as [animation=] and [keyframe=] (also for intro). In particular, I have also used [animation] and [script], but to create a pseudo-spoiler for a CMD-style code. I am still sad to see BBscript and BBcode+ go, but I now have hope that there will be HTML/JS-based replacements somewhere down the line. Have you taken these into account so far?[/nobr]

Last edited:

LeBirb

or just Birb
Also those people who enjoy aesthetics so much. I am also a greedy gremlin who likes pretty things with my pretty words. I enjoy aesthetic too but I've been too lazy to design and code at the same time. The google docs tag still works in bbcode. Try designing google slides for character sheets. You don't have to learn to code. All you have to do is learn to design and work with colors. You can also disable people from downloading, printing or copying your works.

Unfortunately, you guys are all on your own for IC posts though.

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard LOL, save yourself a few keystrokes and put out a new thread that tells everyone what is staying, maybe edit as you go for the few not in the tutorial that will remain, like Code.
That works. I can edit them into the first post.

div boxes were part of original bbcode as well, i think? those won't be around anymore either?
DIVs will be offline for a while, because at some point they got coupled into BBC+. I have full intentions of restoring DIVs at some point

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
As a software dev I always wondered what regression on such a massive custom system like this looked like for you guys whenever you pushed out new updates. It was always daunting for me to think about tbh. Makes sooo much sense that something like this would be edged out for maintainability. Thank you for making the hard decision now. As much as it hurts folks, the less users/posts are affected the better imo ^.^ Rip it off like a bandaid.

Welp boys and girls, time to head back to the olden days of BBCode tables to get all that fancy div-floaty goodness that you want. (IMHO people were making some cool aesthetic stuff before BBC+) We'll pour one out for the scripting homies though, in remembrance.
BBC+ has an entirely custom renderer written in PHP that replaces the forum one to make it work. Normal BBCodes are mostly all HTML replacements with the occasional PHP Callback but nothing this crazy. Moving forward the idea will be to either support HTML/CSS/JS in a safe manner with extreme purification/whitelisting or allow people to have similar functionality to BBC+ written in entirely in JS (ember.js to be exact) in the back end with the same lovable tags like [div] and stuff.

Sana Natsuko

A Wandering Name
Its a shame this is happening, but in the end its a lot safer to do it now than later. Plus we still have standard BBCode and there is a chance BBCode+ will come back better. I can live with this, just going to have to get a bit more creative with how to make stuff. I will drink a glass of coke in remembrance though!

Ayama

Enthusiast
BBC+ has an entirely custom renderer written in PHP that replaces the forum one to make it work. Normal BBCodes are mostly all HTML replacements with the occasional PHP Callback but nothing this crazy. Moving forward the idea will be to either support HTML/CSS/JS in a safe manner with extreme purification/whitelisting or allow people to have similar functionality to BBC+ written in entirely in JS (ember.js to be exact) in the back end with the same lovable tags like [div] and stuff.
[div=display: inline-block; margin: 0px auto; width: auto; max-width: 550px; border-left: 2px solid #45b39d; border-right: 2px solid #45b39d; padding: 10px; text-align: justify; color: #0e6251;]I dunno if member opinion/preference makes any kind of difference compared to what's possible/feasible/better/easier for you guys, but my personal preference would be for HTML/CSS ;P[/div]

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Its a shame this is happening, but in the end its a lot safer to do it now than later. Plus we still have standard BBCode and there is a chance BBCode+ will come back better. I can live with this, just going to have to get a bit more creative with how to make stuff. I will drink a glass of coke in remembrance though!
I love me some div tags, don't worry. It will come back in a more sustainable manner.

[div=display: inline-block; margin: 0px auto; width: auto; max-width: 550px; border-left: 2px solid #45b39d; border-right: 2px solid #45b39d; padding: 10px; text-align: justify; color: #0e6251;]I dunno if member opinion/preference makes any kind of difference compared to what's possible/feasible/better/easier for you guys, but my personal preference would be for HTML/CSS ;P[/div]
I am leaning towards that as well, but it is what can be done safely at the end of the day, so malicious people can't hijack pages and affect the site with it. It's why a custom renderer was designed for BBC+ to begin with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)