In Character Rping

Today was just another normal day in Holdgert as the markets were bustling with activity, the taverns were quenching thirsts, both drink and flesh, and the government was working like clockwork. However, all that aside there was something brewing within the city, more notably there was talk of a renewed conflict between the city's government and the rogue group known as Funeral Parlor. Nobody knows exactly why Funeral Parlor decided to attack the government again, but one thing was for sure, it made the city on edge. A city on edge, however, made opportunities for mercenaries seeking work, like Carlon Reiss. Reiss was headed to the marketplace to gather supplies in the event he was to accept another job very soon. Unfortunately before he was to even head to the marketplace, he needed to head to the blacksmith to get his sword sharpened; the last job really did a number on the blade. Walking into the blacksmith, Carlon waved to the smith and spoke, "My blade needs sharpening, could you sharpen it for me?"

"Yeah I'll sharpen it for you, standard fee as usual though."

"That's ok here," Carlon handed over a gold piece and the smith took his blade into the back."

"Wait here while I sharpen it, shouldn't take too long."

((14 gold left))

@Danchou Tsubomi @Wandering Grim Hollow @Plasma @Captain Spooks

Last edited by a moderator:
The day was wonderful. It was nice and peaceful, a little noisy but inside one of the tavern's bedrooms, a certain young lady has her head plunged into a bucket of water as if to almost drown herself. She soon pulled her head out of the bucket and gasped for breath. That lady is none other than Marida Lance, otherwise known in her armoured persona as the Wandering Black Knight.

".... Huu... I'm finally awake..." Marida muttered to herself as she peeled off her nightgown and used it as a face towel. She went on her own business of washing up and clothing herself. For the moment, she was dressed up in a simple dress that made her pass off as a simple maid or peasant woman out buying things in the market. She glanced over at the set of black armour and weapons that lay on the spare bed and spaced out for a moment, thinking about her past. Just before she remembered something unpleasant, she shook herself out of her stupor.

"Enough of that Marida... You've got to pick up your things..." She muttered to herself as she donned a simple traveling cloak and left her tavern room. As she walked down the stairs, she checked her money pouch and frowned slightly. 15 gold, 30 silver and 60 copper. It was a fair amount but the new lance she's getting is already going to cost her 5 gold.

"I'll need to ration it properly..." She muttered as she secured her coin pouch and left the tavern, pulling up her hood. She practically ignored everything else as she walked in a quick pace to the blacksmith. She had already stocked up on supplies for her travel with the lance being the last thing on her list. In almost no time at all, she reached the blacksmith and pushed open the door. Judging by the grinding noise, the smith must be in his workshop sharpening something with only a stranger to be seen.

"Pardon me, is the blacksmith here? I came here to collect something." Marida asked the stranger, her hood still up as she peered at him. 

[SIZE= 12px]@Clockwork Syringe[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reiss had been simply figuring out why there was a renewed conflict between the rogue group and the government, when all of a sudden, someone else came into the blacksmith. She was a woman simply wearing a dress with a cloak, but in a blacksmith? That raised some questions. When she asked if the blacksmith was in, Reiss replied, "Yes, he is currently in the back sharpening my steel sword, it's become dull lately and I needed to get it worked on. Name's Carlon Reiss by the way. 

@Wandering Grim Hollow

Grinning at the man behind the counter in the merchants guild building, Estelle dropped a bag full of ancient goodies on the surface. "Take a look at this! All from the crypt where none have ever explored!" Swords with strange writing covered the entire counter. "What do ya think? Enough to get me a thousand gold or what?"

The old man sighed. "Sorry, but I'm afraid not. A travel party went to the crypt and back before you did, but...I'll be willing to see what you got." Scanning the items, he shook his head. "These are all common weapons from soldiers. I'm afraid this doesn't get a lot of coin. In fact, museums are trying to get rid of all the surplus junk. This just doesn't have the demand it needs."

A party already went there? ...no wonder why all the good stuff was gone. "So, um...how much does this get me?"

"Thirty copper."

Now, Estelle would bargain for more, but this old man was stubborn. If she tried, he'd probably lower the payment. "All right." Opening her hand, she accepted the small amount of coins. Great...she spent all that time and money preparing to go into that dusty place only to get thirty copper. Looking at her balance, Estelle gritted her teeth. 15 gold, 30 silver and 90 copper? Was this for real?!

"See you soon, Estelle."

"Yeah."

Standing outside, Estelle looked for her guard. He couldn't have gone far, though knowing most of her guards, they really didn't like sticking by. "You're too high maintenance" and a "constant burden", puh-lease. Stopping to grab some things off the road while it's raining isn't that bad. Getting a little soaked never hurt anyone, right? Even if they were out there for a few hours, that's nothing to complain about. And bears being "a huge risk"? Pfft, they're slow, out-running them is no problem. She could've gotten more herbs to grab if the guard didn't freak out from the bear and made her run away. There was no use crying over missed profits, but that was completely avoidable. 

"Hm... Is that so..." Marida mused. The stranger seemed like a nice lad, a mercenary perhaps? Although given the rising tension within the city, he might just be a person who wants to defend himself in case of a Funeral Parlor attack. Either way, Marida didn't really care. 

"I wonder how long he'll take..." Marida muttered to herself as she walked over to a barrel full of dull swords. She felt the handles and noted how some of them were just the tang of the sword. Raw material meant for smelting perhaps? Maybe the blades could be salvaged for glaive heads but what does she know. She only knows basic sword upkeep and cleaning.  As she stared at a rack of well made swords, she thought for a moment before deciding that conversation passes time.

"So... Carlon Reiss was it..? Are you from around these parts?" Marida asked in a soft, cool voice. Her interest still focused on a particularly well made silver sword.

Reiss responded to the woman's question, "Born and raised here, at least that's what my mother told me. 'Course once you get old enough, you learn to find avenues to feed and clothe yourself." Suddenly the grinding stopped and footsteps could be heard coming from the back of the shop. The blacksmith had finished with Reiss' sword and was currently handing it to him handle first in a rough gloved hand, "Here you are, one sharpened steel sword." Reiss took the sword handle first and walked over to a corner of the room and swung the blade around as if it was natural to him. 

"Nicely done as always,"

"Thank you, although how many times has that sword been brought in now? I keep losing track." Suddenly the blacksmith noticed the woman in the shop, "Ah welcome miss, what can I do for you?"

@Wandering Grim Hollow

"Hm... I see. Guess we share a birthplace then. A pity my mother died before I even got to know her and I have no idea of ever knowing who my father was. I guess that comes with being born in the slums..." Marida mused before reaching out to touch the sword on display. That is until the grinding stopped and Marida calmly withdrew her hand back. She quietly watched the blacksmith handed the sword back to Reiss. She noted the design of the sword. It seemed simple and it has definately seen some use.

"Nice sword... I guess..." Marida muttered to no one in particular before the blacksmith noticed her and his sudden question actually startled her enough for her to flinch.

"Huh...?! O-oh... Um... I'm here to buy a steel lance... Could I see the choices you have on offer...?" Marida asked in a soft, careful tone.

...mark that as another guard who just gets up and leaves. Stupid mercenary guilds and their loophole filled contracts...

Today was just so great. Well, guess she has to get another one. The blacksmith's usually the best place, right? Most wannabe heroes go there, anyways, and most were gullible - er, trusting enough to help out. Luckily for Estelle, there was one nearby, and hopefully she'd be more fortunate this time around. She entered inside of the store and smiled slightly. The two people were having a conversation before the smithy inside interrupted. Estelle didn't mind waiting to talk, after all, these two looked like they could handle all sorts of things coming their way.

"Hm... I see. Guess we share a birthplace then. A pity my mother died before I even got to know her and I have no idea of ever knowing who my father was. I guess that comes with being born in the slums..." Marida mused before reaching out to touch the sword on display. That is until the grinding stopped and Marida calmly withdrew her hand back. She quietly watched the blacksmith handed the sword back to Reiss. She noted the design of the sword. It seemed simple and it has definately seen some use.

"Nice sword... I guess..." Marida muttered to no one in particular before the blacksmith noticed her and his sudden question actually startled her enough for her to flinch.

"Huh...?! O-oh... Um... I'm here to buy a steel lance... Could I see the choices you have on offer...?" Marida asked in a soft, careful tone.

Reiss sheathed his sword and crossed his arms as the blacksmith began to speak. "Yes of course Miss," the blacksmith held up a finger to wait a second as he went in back and grabbed 3 lances, the man was unusually strong, but that was generally the case for blacksmiths; they handled and worked heavy materials. Laying all three down on the counter, he explained, "Ok, so I've got 3 lances here, all steel, but in varying quality. The first one has seen a good deal of use and would cost you 4 gold, the middle one here is fairly used but in better quality so that would run you for 5 gold. This last one here on the other hand is brand new and will run you for 6 gold, 5 silver." The blacksmith suddenly noticed a third individual enter the shop, "I'll be with you in a moment Miss, just sit tight!" Turning his attention back to the first woman he continued, "So miss, what do you want to do?"

@Danchou Tsubomi @Wandering Grim Hollow

[SIZE= 12px]"Hm..." Marida hummed in thought as she picked up steel lance and felt the material. It was definitely used with the lance shaft being slightly splintered in some areas and the lance head having a few barely noticeable nicks in it. The point was still sharp and it had enough heft to work well as a bashing weapon but the thing felt like it could break apart after a month or so and Marida is looking for a lance to last her at least a few months. She then picked up the brand new one. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]"Oh? Well I'll say... This is very well made..." Marida praised as she inspected the lance. The lance shaft was sturdy and polished, making the wood almost shine in the light. The lance head was polished to an almost mirror sheen and the point was sharp. Sharp enough to almost prick Marida's finger when she gently tested it. It even had a good amount of heft to it as Marida gave it a tested it by thrusting the point forward with one arm. Despite the dress and cloak, someone with a trained eye could see that she had a good form with her off-hand held in such a way that it was easy to imagine her carrying a shield. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]"This one is good... But..." Marida sighed as she placed the lance down. Realistically, she needed to safe the small amount of money she had left. That leaves the middle lance. She picked it up. The lance shaft wasn't as perfect as the new one but it was still sturdier then the cheap used one. The lance head, while not as polished and being slightly worn, was still of acceptable sharpness. Even better was the fact that it had the same amount of heft as the brand new one. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]"I'll take this one... Here is your payment..." Marida opened up her coin pouch and took out 5 gold. Leaving her with 10 gold, 30 silver and 60 copper coins left in total. A healthy amount. About the same as a town guard's bimonthly pay really. Marida clutched her newly bought lance and politely bowed to the blacksmith in thanks.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]"Thank you..." With that, she turned heel and made her way for the door, nodding once in Reiss' general direction as a way of saying goodbye. As she reached the door, she glanced back to look at the red-haired lady who walked in earlier. She stared at her for a moment before looking away and leaving the smithy. Once outside, she slowly made her way back to the inn, clutching the lance close to herself to prevent any accidents while she walked.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]@Clockwork Syringe @Danchou Tsubomi ( @Plasma @Captain Spooks Just a friendly neighbourhood reminder that this exists. ;3) [/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread