Advice/Help In a creative funk

Rareraven

I like to rp fandoms.
Can someone please tell me out to get out of this funk I’m in? I mean yes it’s part due to do with no one role playing with me or that no one seems interested at all in role playing Harry Potter with me. I just can’t seem to even write a sentence for when I roleplay with someone

Can someone please tell me out to get out of this funk I’m in? I mean yes it’s part due to do with no one role playing with me or that no one seems interested at all in role playing Harry Potter with me. I just can’t seem to even write a sentence for when I roleplay with someone
I felt like that with one piece. The harder I tried to rp with one peice, the more blocked I felt. My suggestion is not only try something else, but try something more popular. In a few months anime fans may rp in re zero rps due to season 2. Maybe try a popular video game. Or cook something up that's totally your own. Doing that will break this funk more than anything.

It's the baggage and desire to do harry potter that might be holding you back

I’ve tried rping other things like anthro or other fandoms but my heart seems to be craving Harry Potter

People don’t seem to be active on here, they post something then poof! Disappear for days
Personally, I think that's the culture of rpn's user's faults. But you have to work with what you got. There's plenty of activity. But you have to treat rping like speed dating. Just keep trying till you find the right person.

It's all about finding the right people. I've had no problems finding partners here on RPN who keep open communication and reply regularly. It just takes a fair bit of digging, leg-work, and patience.

If you go into the 1x1 interest checks and use the search function on the right side of the screen (on laptop/computer) and scroll down... there's an option to check 'Harry Potter' and this will then give you all the interest checks featuring Harry Potter. It's a huge fandom and I've seen it a LOT in various people's interest checks so you can definitely find people who want to roleplay it.

The vast majority of the partners I've found who have stuck around have been found by ME contacting THEM after reading their interest check and realizing we click. Works better than making your own interest check in my opinion, AND it helps you make sure you're contacting people who want the same things as you (frequency of reply, particular ships, writing length, etc. etc.)

From what I can tell, the bigger problem is that you're struggling to write in the first place. Ultimately when you're stuck in a block the best things to do (in my experience) are to force yourself to write and to also read. Reading fosters imagination and creativity which often translates into writing. And writing CAN be done, even if you aren't feeling it, by simply making yourself break it down into pieces:

1. Describe setting. Is it daytime? nighttime? Are they in a forest? Standing on a cobblestone street in a quaint little village?
2. What is their mood? Is your character happy? Sad? Moody? Why are they feeling this way? Elaborate.
3. Respond to the situation/dialogue given to you by your partner.
4. Set up dialogue/actions for your partner to reply to.

At bare minimum this gives you four sentences to offer your partner, and each point can be hugely expanded upon. You also never have to do them in order. If I'm stuck I'll sometimes start with the dialogue/actions and then work backwards to add in the other stuff once I know where I'm going.

I pretty consistently do Harry Potter, I would be down to see your ideas. If nothing else I can give you reading and podcast recommendations linked to Harry Potter.

(I think I have two roleplay a locked in right now but I’m down to add one more).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back