• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

GojiBean

Your resident irradiated Kaiju King
Roleplay Type(s)
Impossible Victory

Chapter One: The Angel and The Demon

Maiden’s Log. Friday, September 14th. Time is approximately 9am. But go figure I lost my sun dial so I can’t be sure.

We just arrived in Orktusk. And as expected it’s just as bleak as the day it was first burned to the ground. All of the inhabitants who survived fled and never came back. But the scars of the dead still linger. A half rotten skeleton here. The outline of what was once a corpse burned into the ground there. Every building is either half or fully collapsed. And the smell… It never went away. It’s the same awful, rotting smell it always was after the attack.

Myself, Ciosa, Theo, and Gabrien all have our own unique history with this place. For me, it was the first town I arrived in when I came to Veilbrand all those years ago, even before I met Gabrien. It was a lively town back then. Small. But full of life and energy like few I’d ever seen in my travels before, even though I was just a kid.

I can still remember the faces of so many people I met here. And seeing Orktusk still in this sorry state brings me no end of sorrow.

Painful as it may be to look at, it’s not the first nor last time we’ll see something like this.

Her journal closed with a solid thwap as she twisted the bindings around the cover lock and set it in her bag.

Gloria Estallamos, otherwise known as the Maiden of Revolution, was on the road in a horse-drawn cart dressed as common Veilbrand street trash with old ragged clothing, and using musty old potato sacks to carry their goods. With her were three of her closest confidants. Ciosa the weapon’s maker. Thyleonan, or Theo, the thief. And Gabrien, her Right Hand and oldest friend.

Each one was a rather unique and curious case. And Gloria had received no end of questioning from higher ups in the Revolution’s hierarchy for her choices. But she ignored all the doubters and naysayers because each of these people brought something special she knew didn’t exist anywhere else in the Revolution’s ranks.

Ciosa, while a little eccentric and overly bubbly for this depressing landscape, held an uncanny ability to look at something, visualize and dissect its mechanics, and then reproduce it with her own modifications. Many of which were superior to the original. It’s what made her such an excellent tinkerer and creator of weapons and tools which were now widely used among the Revolution’s forces. And Gloria had to admit that Ciosa, who wanted everyone to call her Ci, was kind of cute and fun to be around 99% of the time. Her presence was a soothing one, if a little over the top sometimes for Gloria's taste.

Theo was… Well, Theo. He was a typical thief of Veilbrand who trusted very few to no people. As far as Gloria knew he didn’t trust anyone but Ciosa, whom he knew as Ci for short. But he could break into any building, slip into any enemy camp, and fly under the radar sometimes even when he was walking right next to you. To call him a “ghost” was no exaggeration in many respects. And he acted like one. Cold. Distant. Didn't talk much. And always hovering nearby or over your shoulder rather than just standing next to you or in front of you. How and why Ci seemed so fond of him was anyone's guess. But maybe she saw something they didn't?

And Gabrien. Oh dear. Where to begin with Gabrien? Well, he’s a flirt. A major one. About the only thing that Gloria knew he loved more than women was his blade, which he had inherited from his elder half-brother Nico after his “accidental” death, and which he was constantly practicing with and polishing in his off time. He loved that thing. But she understood why, as her hand gently reached up for an old copper pendant hanging around her neck and ran her finger along its outer contours. But Gabrien was more than just a flirt and a fighter. He was a hunter and a cook as well. In fact, Gloria would often refuse to eat a meal unless she knew it was one he’d prepared.

A motley crew for sure, the four of them were on their way out of Veilbrand to find Doctor Almna, otherwise known as the “Angel of Cre’ Est.” A young doctor with prodigious skills and talents in the world of medicinal and physical treatments. And if they could get her to join the Revolution, then maybe they’d finally be able to tend their sick and injured and help keep healthier numbers of their forces in fighting condition to continue this struggle.

But knowing what to do was one thing. And as Orktust slowly disappeared behind them, and the open grasslands and lightly forested region of Cre' Est sprawled out before them as they officially crossed the border into Cre' Itian territory, Gloria couldn't help but feel apprehensive.

Cre' Est was the home of Te'i Sai, the largest and most notorious assassin organization on the continent. Known for their brutally efficient methods of assassination, and their self-proclaimed roles as "protectors of balance," whatever the fuck that was supposed to mean, Cre' Est wasn't exactly somewhere you wanted to be if you were an outsider on an important mission like this one. For all their talk of "balance," Gloria had never seen anything balanced about how and when they targeted people, or why. If they wanted balance, why not go after Egruus? He was disrupting the balance EVERYWHERE with all his trade tariffs, border closures, and military outposts popping up every other major road juncture to ensure total control of who goes where, when, and why. But no. For 12 years they've left Egruus alone to terrorize this nation and its people without anyone or anything to get in his way except the Revolution. If you could call what they were doing "getting in the way," of course.

But even worse than Te'i Sai was their poster boy, the Red-Eyed Demon. Theo claimed to have seen him once before, and confirmed that the man's eyes actually did glow with an otherworldly red light. And, true to his name, he was death incarnate in every possible way. Some legends about him said he was spotted in separate locations within the same day, and within the same hour. Sometimes as far apart as Gweynura's Southeast costline, to Triveila's Northwest coastline. Impossible. It had to be fabricated. Nobody could cover ground like that in one hour. She didn't care what his name was or how many legends, myths, and rumors were spread about him. She knew he was incredibly dangerous, but he wasn't a god like so many seemed to think he was. However, even if that were true Gloria held no delusions that if they crossed his path they'd live to tell about it. They had to avoid him at all costs.

The primary objective of this mission and their travels was to reach and recruit Doctor Almna who resided in Cre' Est's capitol city of Valkyom. But their second mission was to stay alive and avoid Te'i Sai and the Red-Eyed Demon like the plague. As good as Gabrien was with his blade, Gloria would not risk him engaging the Red-Eyed Demon under any circumstances. Let alone Theo and Ci.

A bump in the road, and a snort from one of the horses shook her out of her stupor, and she glanced around the cart as Theo eyed her from the driver's seat with one eyebrow arched. Her mouth scrunched a little to one side and she glanced over at Gabrien's bags when she noticed something.

”Gabrien. Did you remember to pack all your hunting gear? I don’t see your skinning tool pouch anywhere.”

Wandering Owl Wandering Owl Lost Echo Lost Echo

Last edited:
Gabrien stared out of the window as the empty streets and charred skeletons of buildings slowly gave way to grassland and distant trees. A welcome change, to be sure, but out of sight did not mean out of mind. He had heard about the fate of Orktust soon after it had happened, had grieved with the others, but there was something about walking those streets that made it all seem so much more real. Thoughts of it still ran through his head. The undercurrent of anxiety, of that could be us at any moment, was almost entirely blotted out by the resolve sparked anew within him. This is why we do it. This is why we fight. Whenever he felt himself begin to waver, he thought of places like Orktust, of the good people lost to malice and brutality. There was no shortage of those thoughts, sadly, but at least they pushed him ever forward.
This was one of the most important missions he'd taken on for the rebellion. Perhaps the most important, if they succeeded. It was risky, of course he knew that, but he had confidence in his companions, each of them masters of their own indispensable skills. He was a part of something much bigger than himself. He couldn’t imagine going back to an ordinary life, scared and confined and unable to make a change, just like so many others he’d seen. That was no way to live.
Especially when he was following the Maiden. There was something about her that inspired confidence, that he’d never been able to put his finger on. It wasn’t hard to see why she’d become such an icon. Not the first of her title, but he held onto a thin thread of hope that she might be the last. If she died here, if she was replaced again and he had to live with the secret of what he had lost, unable to share his grief-
The walls of the carriage suddenly seemed to close in on him. Gabrien closed his eyes, determined to dismiss the thought.
No. He wouldn't let that happen. He’d stay here and fight, and whatever end came for them, good or bad, it would take them both. There was no other way.

Gloria’s words jolted him back to the present. It took him a moment to process what she had asked. “Hm? No, it should be in…” a pause, as he searched through the bags. And then searched some more, starting to frown. Eventually, he gave up, sitting back in his seat. “Huh. Guess you’re right.” He considered it for a second, then shrugged. “I’ll manage. Not much a knife can’t do.” The words were emphasized with a pat on his thigh, a dagger stored for utility or emergencies. He crossed his legs, stretching out as much as the cramped space allowed. “Look at it this way. If that's our greatest worry, then things are going well indeed. And if we’re really desperate, I'm sure our little weapon genius could whip something up.” He glanced over to the other woman with a smile. “Right, Cici?”

Ciosa stared out the window, trying to replace Orktust from her mind. Trying to stop wondering if her father was one of the soldiers who did it. Trying to block the ideas that came: the guesses on what caused the damage, ideas forming of how to make those possible weapons. The Revolution did not need those. The Maiden would never destroy a town like Egruus had too many times. And it was so pointless. What benefit could have come from this cruelty? Ciosa knew sometimes you had to hurt to finish a piece: light burns covered her arms, or her muscles would ache from lifting too heavy of blocks of metal. But this? This harm just hurt. There was no good. There was nothing good.

But the fields! She’d never traveled out of the city before, even as a child. This lush green was more than she could imagine. Before there’d been lawns, Mama had a couple of flowers she’d planted. Ciosa didn’t remember their names. But there had never been so much flora before. Though she could see the woods in the distance, she couldn’t imagine any more space than this. The very grass seemed to reverberate with life, ripples fanning across it.

Her attention immediately snapped to the Maiden the moment she spoke. Sometimes it still caught her off guard to have been chosen to go with her. Doubts would try to rise: was it to make Theo go? But she trusted in Gloria, and if Gloria said she wanted her to come, Ci would. At Gabrien’s question, she wrinkled her nose. “It’s Ci, just Ci. You know like psychotic?” She grinned mischievously at him. Over the time preparing for this trip, she had grown more comfortable talking to both the Maiden and her right hand. Gloria would occasionally still awe her, but that’s what made her so special. Gabrien didn’t have that level of righteousness. His strongest trait was his loyalty to the Maiden, which Ci could appreciate. So he was easier to tease. Her eyes searched immediately for Theo, wanting to see his reaction to the pun. It was weird to be so close to him, but not really able to talk.

Still, answering Gabrien, she couldn’t help but laugh, “If you lose all your blades, and can’t convince Theo to give you one so we could eat, then yes, I would fashion something for you. But!” she held up a finger, trying to look serious, “You’d better be grateful! It’s not my fault you finished your packing last night.” He might have been too busy helping Gloria--though Theo and she had packed just fine--but Ci thought it might have been him giving personal goodbyes to each of the “ladies” that he courted.

Gloria rolled her eyes and gave a few sarcastic nods while looking out the window at the rolling grasslands around them.

They were barely 5 minutes out of Orktusk. A gray, dreary, dead landscape from how it was burned to the ground. To go from gray to green with vibrant flowers and trees and mountains in the distance. It was almost jarring.

”Just don't hurt yourself if you go deer hunting. The species in Cre' Est are supposed to be more aggressive than in Veilbrand.” She warned.

"Think you can take a deer with a knife there?" Theo called back through the small window to the driver's seat out front of the cart.

Gloria gave the little window a knock, lips pursed in disapproval of the little verbal jab.

Wandering Owl Wandering Owl Lost Echo Lost Echo

At Ci’s comment, Gabrien shrugged. “What can I say? I’m a busy man.” He didn’t deny her implication - it was true, after all. Though in his defense, he did tend to carry his most precious possessions on his person, and company was a nice way to take his mind off the journey ahead. He smiled at the Maiden’s concern for him. “I think I'll manage. Being more aggressive than a deer isn't exactly the most impressive claim.”
Theo’s jab cut into his words, and he leaned forward to make sure he could be heard through the window, his tone teasing. “Hey. If you’re gonna get like that, why not come out hunting with me next time? Show me all the things you so clearly know about it.” Theo was probably the member of their party that Gabrien had connected with least. The thief seemed reluctant to open up to anyone except Ciosa, but his skills were impressive, and him being a little abrasive didn't make Gabrien think less of him. He’d extended the challenge jokingly, but part of him hoped the thief would take him up one of these days, and they’d have the chance to share knowledge.
And talking of sharing knowledge…
“So, any ideas for actually getting this Angel on our side? I’d hate to go all this way to get turned down.” They’d probably covered this in one of the briefings, but truth be told, he didn't always pay attention during them. Never anything wrong with going over plans, anway. He left the question open to the whole group. Though it was Gloria’s area of expertise, he was interested to hear what everyone threw out.

Ci laughed, imagining an aggressive deer. Her open hands raised to each side of her head like antlers, and she tried to scrunch up her face into an angry scowl, but failed, breaking into laughter multiple times. She, at last, gave up and dissolved into giggles, dropping her hands. Suddenly, she straightened, stiff before daring to glance at Gloria’s face for her reaction. She didn’t want her to think that she was making fun of her! She would never! It was just a funny thought. Probably a stupid one too. Oh no, would she regret bringing her so soon?

Ci knew that hunting was dangerous. Beyond Egruus’s soldiers’ search for poachers. (Which was scary enough.) She remembered the boar Gabrien and his hunters had returned with one night. Beyond the taste of its greasy meat, she remembered the injuries. Far too many of his hunters were not quite quick enough to avoid being hurt by the beast’s tusks. She had to fashion a brace for one of them, the thick tusk having drawn a channel through the meat of her thigh. It was amazing she lived. She was a prime example of why they needed this Angel’s help.

She did begin worry then, though in the back of her mind was praise for their Maiden. How she kept track of so many things to keep them safe, Ci couldn’t imagine. There were as many as she had ideas for weapons, but unlike her, Gloria didn’t write them down everywhere! (Or lose them. Some of her best ideas were on those papers, she’s sure.)

She gave Gabrien a bright smile as he asked Theo to go hunting with him sometime. He was reaching out! Maybe Theo could actually make another friend. Sure, they were nothing alike…she took a second to try to think of what they had in common. They were men…who liked knives…or at least used them in Gab’s case, she knew his rapier was his true love. She couldn’t even honestly say that they were both utterly loyal to the Revolution. Oh, Theo hated Egruus and had just reason to do so, but he didn’t trust Gloria. He’d follow her orders, but Ci knew that if he disagreed with them, he’d do it his way. Which worked out well, but his heart wasn’t in the rebellion as hers and Gabrien’s were. It was more he was against Egruus than that he was for the Maiden. Well, maybe she should just be satisfied they got along as well as they did.

The hunter asked the question that had percolated in the back of Ci’s mind since the Maiden had announced the trip. She spoke up first, doing her job as the naive one to speak the hopes, “Wouldn’t she want to help? I mean, if she wants to heal people, I can’t imagine more people to heal than back at camp.” In truth, she doubted it would be that easy. Nothing ever was in life. Not since then.

Gloria glanced between Gabrien and Ci, and gave a subtle shake of her head.

”It's not going to be that simple, Ciosa. Based on our intelligence reports, the Angel's lived in Cre' Est her whole life. The only time she's even left the capital city was to attend the Cre' Itian Academy of Medicinal Arts, which is in the Northern region of the nation, close to Triveila. With her status being what it is today, she's basically got it made. So her incentive to leave that all behind for a life-risking venture tending the sick and wounded in a war-torn shell of a country like Veilbrand is basically nonexistent.”

"Not to mention she's got no reason to think our sick and injured are more in need than those she treats every day."
Theo called through the window.

Gloria nodded.

"Yes, that's also a factor. It's not always about which group of people say they need you 'more.' It's about where you believe you belong, and where you feel you can do the most good for others. That's why I'm where I am today."

Theo glanced over his shoulder and out of the corner of his eye at Gloria through the window, then returned his eyes to the road.

"The outcome of this war means everything to us. But at the moment I guarantee it means nothing to her since it's not impacting her life. It's also happening in a place that she can't see or experience for herself. So, if we can't convince her that her future involvement in this war means more to her than the life she currently leads, then we're going to fail this recruitment mission."

The wagon hit a bump in the road.

"It's not too late to turn around ya know." Theo called back.

Lost Echo Lost Echo Wandering Owl Wandering Owl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back