• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I'm the powder, you're the fuse. Just add some friction. {Closed}

papercuts

The Lone Siren was infamous in these waters, recognisable by its blood red sails, but perhaps not more so than its captain. Rin Carmine was known to be ruthless, plundering and pillaging and leaving death and devastation in its wake. Today was no different, perhaps however with less death.

Sharp green eyes surveyed the surroundings. They had doused most of the ship lanterns to remain inconspicuous, but the night was clear, and moonlight illuminated the deck. Rin ran a tattooed hand through her unkempt locks before securing her weathered tricorn hat upon her head. She had her arms folded across the railing on the quarter deck, her lithe frame lounging against the sturdy timber. The ship was silent, anchored a little way out past the docks, save the lapping caress of the ocean against its sides. Most of her crew was on shore, trying to capture their next pay day.

Only when the small rowboats returned to the ship, did Rin turn away, satisfied.

Her crew dragged a struggling woman on board, bound and gagged.

“Cap’n?” Smalls called out for her attention. Her first mate was a hulking mass of a man, at least a head taller than the rest of the crew with ebony skin and rippling muscles. Even he was puffed with exertion, grappling to keep his charge under control. Their hostage was feisty.

“Well, well. What do we have here?” Rin sauntered down the stairs to the main deck. She seized the hostage’s chin in her callused hands and pulled her into the light. The captain’s sea green eyes searched her face. Having had recently received intel that the neighbouring kingdom was sending spies from her friends in various high and low place, she’s pooled her resources to track them. A tavern owner had tipped her off about his latest guest for a very heavy pouch of gold. It was no matter. The kingdom would pay handsomely for a member of the Golden Guard, enough for her entire crew to live very comfortably for a least a year. A sly, crooked smile crept across her features. “You’ll do.” She released her grasp and faced her men. “See to it that our esteemed guest is kept safe in my quarters. Wouldn’t want our treasure disappearing, eh boys?”

An ominous snicker echoed through the crew.

“Welcome aboard the Lone Siren, m’lady.” Rin bowed theatrically as their prisoner was hauled into her cabin. Smalls all but threw the woman in, slamming the door and securing the lock behind her. The captain returned to quarter deck, her strong hands grasping the wheel. “Hoist the anchor.” She ordered. “I want us out of these waters by sunrise.”

“Aye, aye.” The crew chorused and hurried to their posts.

The first mate joined his captain, passing her the brass key to her room. “Careful with tha’ one.” He rolled his shoulders back. “Think she bit me at one point.”

Rin threw her head back with a throaty laugh. “She’s half your size, mate!” Wind plucked at the ship’s sails, and combined with the crew’s rowing, sent the graceful boat moving forward. “Boys all good?”

“Nothing a bit of rum an’ gold‘ll fix.” Smalls grunted.

Rin nodded approvingly. “Take the helm. I’m going to go check on our guest before she ruins my room.”

The captain’s cabin door clicked and swung open. Rin stepped across the threshold, casting a wary glance around the room. She had been sure to lock anything particularly pointy away, but the Golden Guard were well known throughout the land for their abilities and almost anything could be made into a weapon. Her posture appeared casual, but her hand rested on her sword’s hilt. Moonlight streamed through the large windows, casting shadows across a sturdy desk and two cushioned chairs. Papers and maps were scattered across the rich mahogany wood and a large fruit bowl teased its contents, overflowing with ripe food. Locked chests, bookcases and crates of supplies were stacked along the left side. Pushed up against the opposite wall was a large bed, piled high with furs and pillows.

The room was nowhere near ostentatious but certainly had its luxuries.

“I apologise for my men. They’re used to whores and whelps. They don’t know how to handle a well-bred lady.” Rin plucked a handful of grapes from the bowl on the table, chewing on them absentmindedly when she realised woman was still bound and gagged. “My, my. Where are my manners?” Rin approached slowly, like a predator stalking its prey. She captured the woman’s chin again, caressing her jaw line with a small dagger. She towered over the woman, but that was no surprise when she stood at 5’11. “Forgive me, I haven’t introduced myself. I am Rin Carmine, captain of this ship.” She pressed the flat of the blade to her captive’s cheek, sliding it under the gag and slicing the material in two. “And I’m not going to hurt you, not as long as you do as I say.”

The thin fabric cut into the corners of her mouth as Coline tried to turn around and catch a glance at the gigantic ship that stayed at anchor about a mile away from Northpass shore. The sails were glowing red in the shimmering moonlight. It confirmed her guess that the bulky men who had dragged her into the dark corner of a street on her way back to the castle, were pirates. Coline cursed under her breath, but only ended up muffling into the fabric she had been gagged with.

Normally, she wouldn't sneak around in the dark of the night. It wasn't smart to linger around the streets of Northpass for many reasons especially as a member of the Golden Guard. However, Coline needed to receive news from her middleman who stayed in the inner-city of Northpass. He had told her to assassinate the young Wesley Lawrence Edwards during the night before the new moon.

Thrilled about the fact she was going to end her mission in Droya soon enough, she didn't even hear the men lurking in the dark behind her. And now here she was: kidnapped, tied up, gagged, and furthest away from the goal she had been working for so long.

The boat approached the ship, she was dragged upwards and could already feel the bruises she'd have from the brusque handling. It didn't exactly hurt but cut deeply into her confidence. She had worked hard to be respected as a woman in this society. The way these men were handling her, reminded her way too much of her past experience.

One of the pirates rose up in front of her, and she was pulled into the glaring light of the ship's lantern. A pair of green eyes met hers and scanned her face. It seemed to be a woman. Could it be that their captain was a female? Coline started back into her eyes blatantly. She wouldn't make it any easier for these rascals.

After a short examination, she was dragged away again and thrown into one of the ship's cabin. The door behind her back was slammed and there she sat in silence. She could hear the muffled voice of the pirates. They were probably talking about the ransom they'd receive from the kingdom. Normally, knights from the Golden Garde could get them quite a high sum. However, it worried Coline that the royals would probably receive news about her abduction, and she couldn't allow herself to arouse that much attention.

While Coline tried to think of an escape, the door swung open and a pirate entered the cabin. Coline startled up and the dim light gave her sight of the captain's sharp yet still feminine facial features. She started talking in a blunt and rowdy manner, stepping forward and bending over her. A dagger was drawn and skimmed her face including the cloth between her teeth. With a faint ripping sound, the cloth was cut in half, and Coline was able to finally fully inhale. Coughing, she spit out a piece of fabric and glared into Rin's eyes.

"It would certainly help to follow your rules if you wouldn't have kidnapped me in the middle of the night and dragged me into your ship to demand ransom. I don't know, but is a bit hard to trust these kinds of people, you know?" Coline gave her a twisty smile while fidgeting with her fingers behind her back trying to get a grip of the rope she had been constrained with.

"It would certainly help to follow your rules if you wouldn't have kidnapped me in the middle of the night and dragged me into your ship to demand ransom. I don't know, but is a bit hard to trust these kinds of people, you know?"

The woman was glaring at her. Fair enough, really.

“Pirate.” Rin explained simply, with a one shouldered shrug. “Besides, we both know you would not have come quietly if you’d been given the chance.” She swiped an apple and cut a slice into it with the same dagger she had used to remove the gag. Quirking a brow, she appraised her captive.

This woman hardly seemed dangerous, but Rin supposed it was all part of the ploy. The best assassins were always the unassuming ones, though this one did not appear strong enough to take down any particularly large targets. She was pretty, with intelligent eyes and a nimble yet curvaceous frame. The sort of woman Rin would pursue if she’d spotted her from across a tavern. Rin chewed thoughtfully before turning momentarily from her guest. She removed her hat and heavy brown coat, laying them across a nearby chest. She loosened the top couple of buttons of her maroon waist coat, exposing tattooed flesh across her chest. Tugging at her sleeves, she undid the buttons at her wrist and approached the woman once more.

“I will allow you to stay in my cabin whilst aboard. You will not want for food or drink. However, you will be under lock, key and guard for the duration. Any funny business, and I’ll throw you in the brig.” Her gaze turned cold and her voice dropped to a menacing growl. “And I will leave you there. To the mercy of my crew. Savvy?” Not that her crew would do anything unbecoming to the young lady. Rin prided herself on the fact her men were good and honest, well as good and honest as a pirate can be. That tidbit of information would not serve her threats however. She merely played into stereotypes often. Hell, more often than not, people assumed she was a man, simply because she was captain. It was part of the reason she never used her full name.

“Right. With that nasty business over.” The captain’s demeanour had switched in an instance, playful smirk tugging at her sharp features. She grasped the little assassin’s shoulders and twisted her gently. The rope ends were frayed, and knots loosened, as if little fingers had been plucking at them from behind her back. Rin chuckled under her breath while deft hands undid the remainder of bindings. “No sense wasting good rope.”

Having now released her captive of their restraints, the captain flopped herself into one of the seats and gestured for the woman to take the other. “Please.” She insisted, returning her attention to the apple.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back