• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (sign-ups)

anne w.

blissfully insignificant
"The great North American school of magic was founded in the seventeenth century. It stands at the highest peak of Mount Greylock, where it is concealed from non-magic gaze by a variety of powerful enchantments, which sometimes manifest in a wreath of misty cloud."

Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is the American wizarding school, located on Mount Greylock in modern-day Massachusetts. It accepts students from all over North America. Students of this school, as at Hogwarts in Scotland, are sorted into four houses: Horned Serpent, Wampus, Thunderbird, and Pukwudgie.

Horned Serpent is sometimes considered to represent the mind of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Horned Serpent favors scholars.

Wampus is sometimes considered to represent the body of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Wampus favors warriors.

Thunderbird is sometimes considered to represent the soul of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Thunderbird favors adventurers.

Pukwudgie is sometimes considered to represent the heart of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Pukwudgie favors healers.

When a student starts their education at Ilvermorny, they step onto a Gordian Knot on the floor in the center of the entrance hall with large wooden statues of the mascots for the four houses facing them. The carved statues react if they want the student in their house. The older students watch in silence from a circular balcony on a floor above them as the new students are sorted. For Horned Serpent, the crystal in the carving's forehead glows. For Wampus, the carving roars. For Thunderbird, the carving beats its wings. And for Pukwudgie, the carving raises its arrow.

However, sometimes more than one carving will try to select the same student and so the student is then able to choose the house they prefer. This happens very rarely. Sometimes - as rare as once a decade or even a generation as in the case of one student - a student will be selected by every house. After the sorting, the student is brought to a large hall where they are chosen once more, this time by a wand.
(Picture can be added anywhere)
Name
Year
Wand
House
Classes
Physical Description
Positive traits
Negative traits
Fears
Quirks
Personality
Life
Ambitions and Goals
Pet(s)
Extra
1. You must play as at least one student of any year. Other characters may be another student or a differing role (Professor, Headmaster, nurse, etc.)

2. All first years will be sorted by the carvings, as explained in prior posts. If your student is not a first year, they simply sit with their house during the sorting ceremony and wait for the new first years to join them.

3. No perfect characters.

4. Be respectful of other members.

5. Do not harm others’ characters without their permission.

6. Further rules will be added if needed.
wip

Last edited:

sexuality: homosexual (in the closet)
    year: sixth
    wand: spruce wood, phoenix feather core, 12 ¾", and supple flexibility
    house: thunderbird
    classes: transfiguration, potions, history of magic, defense against the dark arts, astronomy, herbology, charms, no-maj studies, magizoology, alchemy, cursebreaking, and wandless magic
    pets: calico cat named diana
    extra: patronus is a black cat

dislikes: parties
    positive traits: loyal and trustworthy
    negative traits: aloof, blunt, and lazy
    fears: harm to those he cares about
    quirks: sleeps during class and tunes others out

physical description: matt stands at 5' 9", his dark, wavy hair falling messily around the nape of his neck. he is often seen with untamed hair, as if straight out of bed. as he is a very minimalistic individual, matt does not think too highly of his appearance and wears very simple attire under his robes.

personality: matt is a very laid back individual, his time spent mostly sleeping or studying. he doesn't speak unless spoken to for the most part because he prefers quiet time to himself.

life: tba

ambitions and goals: matt does not have any big plans for himself. he never thinks about the future or what he wants to do with his life, rather appreciating the time he has now and spending it as he pleases.

matthias allen

coded by: aesthete

Last edited:
Name: Saffron "Saf" Novak
Sexuality: Heterosexual

Year: 6
Wand: 13" Pine wood, dragon heartstring core, Quite bendy flexibility (Taken from my Pottermore)
House: Horned Serpent (from my Pottermore)
Classes: Animagi Training, Charms, DADA, Magizoology, Potions, Transfiguration, Wandless Magic (I chose 7 since I don't know how many there needed to be)
Physical Description: Blonde hair, forest green eyes. Height of 5'8". Female.
Likes: Loves loves loves to read, Adores being outside of the school (whether in the forest, courtyard, or with the magical creatures), art (painting, drawing, even tattoos, music, photography)
Dislikes: Militaristic order, hate against other blood statuses (Like Malfoy does), despite being in horned serpent - she hates homework.
Positive traits: There's more than meets the eye in the case of Saf, but most know that above all else she's creative and gracious. Of course she's also fun-loving, adaptable and independent, but these are in a way balance by being hateful as well.
Her creativity though, this is what she's pretty much known for. Friends tend to count on this and her punctuality in times of need.
Negative traits: Nobody's perfect of course and Saffron has a share of darker sides to deal with too. Her thievish nature and coldness are far from ideal and make things uncomfortable to say the least. Fortunately her grace is usually there to help mends things when needed.
Fears: Altophobia - the generic fear of heights, Astraphobia - Fear of thunder or lightning, Ataxophobia - Fear of untidiness
Quirks: Slightly sticks her tongue out while concentrating, she always carries a book or 2, paces back and forth when anxious or nervous, must be outside for homework (whether sitting by a campfire, or by a lantern), when bored she plays with her ear lobe
Personality: There's more than meets the eye in the case of Saf, but most know that above all else she's creative and gracious. Of course she's also fun-loving, adaptable and independent, but these are in a way balance by being hateful as well. Her creativity though, this is what she's pretty much known for. Friends tend to count on this and her punctuality in times of need.Nobody's perfect of course and Saffron has a share of darker sides to deal with too. Her thievish nature and coldness are far from ideal and make things uncomfortable to say the least. Fortunately her grace is usually there to help mends things when needed.
Life: Raised in a militaristic home, her parents expected nothing but the best from her and instilled strict militaristic discipline on her from her early age on wards. Failure was never to be an option and both her parents were highly successful doctors. Her mother an ER worker and her father a heart surgeon. It was no exception for Saffron. She was to follow her parent's footsteps and become a doctor as well.
With such a strict lifestyle you would think that any thoughts of rebellion would have been long ago stomped out. They weren't. Saffron could never manage to be as good as her perfect sister and in the end she stopped trying. She went from honors student without a spot of a record to a troublesome smart ass honors student. Eventually her parents grew tired of her antics and sent her off to live with her crazy aunt (a witch). She was sent to Ilvermorny after discovering she was a witch at age 11.
Ambitions and Goals: To become a magizoologist or go back into the No-Maj world as a professional photographer
Pet(s): A male Siamese cat - named Arlo, a female Barn Owl - named Elf

Extra: Has a tattoo on her lower back - translating from Latin it means 'I will not be afraid of evil things', looks old for her age, Patronus: Weasel (from my Pottermore), Blood status: Muggle-born
4eb6b8665af98d9bff95869b63b7bbdf.jpg c05c74c99816b7ad365612f6cefaef35.jpg arlo.jpg elf.jpg patronus.jpg

Last edited:
Sailore Sailore accepted; she's awesome!

Also, to everyone, I meant to have my own characters up last night, but the coding I was using messed up somewhere and I was having trouble seeing where it went wrong. I will have them up soon.

Thanks!

Levi
"I've been locked in a fridge before,
so I think I know what cool is!"

Name:
Leviathan LeBuff

Sexuality:
"Do I like someone? I like everyone, I just don't like like them..."
(asexual)

Year:
First

Wand:
Elm wood with a unicorn hair core; 10 1/2 inches in length; Rigid

House:
Pukwudgie

Classes:
  • Transfiguration
  • Beginning Wandlore
  • Potions
  • History of Magic
  • Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Astronomy
  • Herbology
  • Flying

15538190_1141512399251446_7796211574703652864_n.jpg
Physical Description:
Dark hair, and peachy skin compliment Levi's bubbly personality. He's a very tiny boy clocking in at 4'9" and 85.6 lb. He tends to bounce around in pink outfits that make him a huge target for bullying. Still, Levi is very strong, and can defend himself if necessary.

• Cotton candy
  • Capoeira
  • Playing with his little cousins
  • Dolls

Dislikes
  • Bullies
  • Hurting people
  • "Smear the Queer"
Smear the Queer is a horrible game often played by homophobic bullies. A large group of people will single out one person who they claim is a "Queer". They proceed to corner the person, or surround them and proceed to just beat the crap out of them for no other reason then the fact that they think it's fun and that the person deserves it for being a "Queer".

Positive traits
  • Sweet
  • Accepting
  • Steadfast in his beliefs
  • Pacifistic

Negative traits
  • Overly trusting, and easily manipulated
  • A bit of a cry baby
  • Often a little too loud, to compensate for his hight
  • Exhaustingly energetic

Fears
  • Being all alone
  • Turning into a bully
  • Being eaten by an alligator (he lives in Luisiana, what'd you expect)

Quirks
  • Always sits on his knees to give himself a hight boost
  • Openly wears high heels, also to give himself a hight boost
  • Bites his lip when he's thinking

Personality:
Levi is what the boys back home call a 'sissy boy'. He is very feminine, preferring to take on a more damsel in distress role, then the typical knight in shining armer. He always thought the armer looked heavy anyways. Despite him being a typical 'sissy boy', Levi's not afraid to stand up for himself and what he believes... Which is why he takes Capoeira. He was given the ultimatum of taking self-defence lessons, or to keep getting the crap beat out of him every day, and he chose the former.

Levi is mostly a pacifist, and if he can talk his way out of something he'll do it. He doesn't like seeing people hurt. In fact, the first time he had to use his training to defend himself, he panicked over splitting his bully's lip, and offered to get the boy a tissue and some ice. His sweet nature has earned him a lot of friends (mostly girls), and he is a generally likeable boy.

He's incredibly childish, tending to have a "growing old is required, growing up is optional" mentality. He'll spend hours playing trucks and barbies with little kids, and occasionally by himself if there's no one to play with. Still he know how to be responsible, and his ability to balance responsibility with his childish nature makes him an ideal babysitter.

Life:
Levi was born in the heart of New Orleans, Luisiana. He was an only child, with 17 first cousins alone. His family always knew he was a bit different... Well, they thought he was a "queer," as his cousins put it. Levi didn't mind, and he refused to conform to their expectations. Once Levi started school, he was bullied relentlessly, causing some strange things to happen around him. He found that his injuries would heal much faster then those around him, and that when he would preform first aid on his cousins, their injuries would do the same.

When he was seven years old he started taking Capoeira, a form of Brazilian dance combat, requiring constant motion, and enhanced agility. Once he started not only defending himself, but actively attempting to help the bullies he defended himself against, he began to demand a lot more respect. He may still have been classified as a sissy, but now he was a sissy who could beat the crap out of you, and then help you to the nurse.

On Levi's eleventh birthday, he received a visit from and Ilvermorny teacher, explaining that he was a wizard, and that they wanted him to attend their school so he could learn to control his abilities.

Ambitions and Goals
  • To help people who need it

Extra
  • First wizard in his family
Coded By || StoneWolf18 StoneWolf18

Sailore Sailore Ticci Toby Rogers Ticci Toby Rogers Would you mind if we wait for another one or two sign-ups? I really do want to start, but I thought about it and can't think of how we could efficiently further the plot with only four characters (we need rivalries, love interests, etc.). If we don't get more characters I may have to delete the thread.

Sailore Sailore Ticci Toby Rogers Ticci Toby Rogers Would you mind if we wait for another one or two sign-ups? I really do want to start, but I thought about it and can't think of how we could efficiently further the plot with only four characters (we need rivalries, love interests, etc.). If we don't get more characters I may have to delete the thread.

That's understandable. I think that with Ticci Toby Rogers Ticci Toby Rogers posting the thread where it should hopefully get some interest.

Hi, I'd like to join and I'll have my character information up in a bit. I just wanted to make sure you were still interested in doing this since the last reply was May 29th.

Name: Lilah Grace McAverson
Sexuality: Heterosexual
Year: 5th
Wand: laurel wood with a phoenix feather core, 12 and 3/4 inches with supple flexibility
House: Horned Serpent
Classes: potions, charms, transfiguration, astronomy, divination, defense against the dark arts, herbology, magical theory, and divination
upload_2017-6-21_0-35-23.png
Physical Description: Lilah is rather short, standing at 5'2" and a half and weighing at about 110 pounds. She has naturally wavy, dark brown hair that falls near her shoulders and she most often wears it natural with the occasional product to help tame the frizz and bedhead. She has a petite frame and a kind face, though a smile may be hard to come by for strangers. She has rather poor eyesight but for the most part she wears contact lenses. On the rare occasion she might opt for her glasses which are rather wide framed. Her eyes are a misty blueish green color and are rather soft. When in school attire, she likes to look neat and scholarly and put together so no item of clothing will be wrinkled, ruffled, or out of place. However, outside of school events, her sense of style is more minimalistic and fashion forward, following many modern no-maj trends.
Likes: quidditch, the hollyhead harpies, leisure reading, music of all genres, learning, fashion, witty remarks, sarcasm, animals, and pranks
Dislikes: disrespectful behavior, irresponsibility, unnecessary rudeness, being wrong, and being out-witted
Positive traits: gentle, kindhearted, loyal, courageous, resourceful, clever, trustworthy, empathetic
Negative traits: occasionally arrogant, argumentative, feisty, insecure, risk-taking, can be withdrawn
Fears: insignificance, being alone
Quirks: When she is deep in thought, she tends to chew on her bottom lip which can cause her lips to seem rather pink or sometimes slightly swollen. She is easily excitable, especially when it comes to the things she is interested in, and when she becomes excited she'll talk rather fast and move her hands in very exaggerated movements.
Personality: Around the school grounds, Lilah is mostly known for her intense studious nature and is pretty much considered to spend most of her time studying. However, outside of the eyes of her classmates and professors, she is also gracious, deeply loyal, caring, and gentle. These traits usually come out more around younger children and animals though. Around people her own age she tends be a bit less kind and patient and easily gets annoyed. She has a hard time collaborating with people because she can be slightly arrogant, argumentative, and believes in her own work ethic over anyone else's. As a friend though, she is very trustworthy and puts those she loves above all else, including herself. Outside of her relationships with others, her relationship with herself is a bit rocky. She often feels insecure about her physical appearance and ability to make and keep friends and thus keeps to herself and her books. She is rather adventurous and likes to take risks and try new things.
upload_2017-6-21_0-12-35.png
Life: Lilah was raised in a rather well-known American wizarding family in Roanoke, Virginia in their family manor in the mountains. Being the youngest of 5 and the only female, her life before Ilvermorny was rather soft, cushioned, and easy. Her parents both work for the Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA), her father as an auror and her mother as a sort of politician, with her sights set on one day becoming the president. There home was almost always guest to someone of importance and their nights were mostly filled with balls and house parties. So, Lilah become accustomed to dressing and acting properly for a woman but also being strong, firm, and independent, like her mother. Her four brothers have all led rather impressive lives of their own. Alexander, the eldest, became a star seeker of an American Quidditch team. Ryan followed in his father's footsteps and became an auror. Garreth became a magical healer and left America to work at St. Mungo's in Europe. And lastly, Nathaniel is a 7th year, looking into working for MACUSA's Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes. Lilah is expected to get through school with flying colors in her family's house, Horned Serpent, and follow in her mother's footsteps to become a politician, but Lilah would much rather leave the pressure of her family's legacy behind to become her own person, aside from her last name.
Ambitions and Goals: She is not completely certain on what she'd like to do after school, but she is leaning towards a career involving magical creatures or healing people. That is, if she can manage to dodge her parents expectations.
Pet(s): Lilah has a dark tortoiseshell female kitten with green eyes named Minnie.
upload_2017-6-21_0-31-13.png
Extra: She is very close to Nathaniel and her father, out of all the people in her family. Her patronus is a silver, blue-eyed wolf. She also occupies the seeker position for her house quidditch team.

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-20_23-40-0.png
    upload_2017-6-20_23-40-0.png
    529.9 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2017-6-21_0-11-34.png
    upload_2017-6-21_0-11-34.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • upload_2017-6-21_0-14-5.png
    upload_2017-6-21_0-14-5.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Name: Nathaniel Alistair McAverson; also goes by Nathan and Nate, prefers Nathan
Sexuality:
bisexual, but only out to his sister and his close friends
Year:
7th
Wand:
cypress wood with unicorn hair core, 10 and 1/4 inches with supple flexibility
House:
Pukwudgie
Classes:
charms, defense against the dark arts, herbology, transfiguration, potions, apparition, no-maj studies, alchemy, and magical theory
upload_2017-6-21_12-32-59.png
Physical Description:
Nathan shares many of the same physical features as his younger sister, Lilah, with his messy, wavy dark brown hair and sparkling greenish-blue eyes. However, unlike his sister, he is quite tall, standing at 6'4" even and weighing in at roughly 195 pounds of lean muscle. His body fills out his frame nicely and he sports some rather impressive muscles from years of quidditch. Also, like his sister, his eyesight isn't nearly perfect so, on occasion and usually in a classroom setting, Nathan will wear thin rimmed round glasses. At school, he follows his family example of looking the scholarly part as well as living it. His robes are always straight, clean, and with all proper parts. Outside of professional settings, he's a bit more laid back but still dresses with a sense of preppy-ness. He's also gotten rather good over the years at taming his hair and nearly always has it styled perfectly.
art (mostly the medium of painting or pastels and oils), music, no-maj instruments, films (especially older films), history, quidditch, being in charge, and being in the thick of things when large events occur
Dislikes:
judgmental people, disappointing anyone, cold-heartedness, dark chocolate, no-maj transportation, intolerance, untidy spaces, and ignorance
Positive traits:
assertiveness, certain, creative, compassionate, fearless, spontaneous, charismatic, diplomatic, generous, lively, open-minded, warm
Negative traits:
slightly bossy, cunning, dauntless to an extreme, overbearing at times, facetious, occasionally loud and obnoxious, boastful at times, can come off pompous, possessive, reckless, restless
Fears:
being imperfect, the shortness of life, death
Quirks:
He has a birth mark similar to the shape of a question mark on his lower back, close to his spine. He also is ambidextrous and will often switch between hands when writing or playing quidditch.
Personality:
Though he is not really an outcasted, Nathaniel prides himself on his ability to step outside of the proposed box and be his own person without concern for what other may or may not think. He might share his families knack for learning and intellect, but he prefers to expand on his creative side rather than his brains. Though still a superb student, Nathan doesn't spend a lot of time with his face in books or scratching notes onto parchment. Instead, he can be found out and about the school grounds, painting or drawing people or scenery. If he's not doing that, then he's most likely somewhere effortlessly playing the guitar or practicing quidditch. Nathan is very sure of himself and who he is and what he believes to be true and right of the world which gives off the aura of being very certain and straightforward. But, it can also lead to him seeming bossy or overbearing or facetious. He also knows his skill level in the things that he is good at and can come off a bit boastful when talking about them. Otherwise, he is a very compassionate and charismatic person. He's easy to approach and is very generous to all those around him and can bring life to any room just by the attitude he carries about himself.

upload_2017-6-21_13-15-47.png
Life:
Like his sister, Nathaniel was raised by Diana Taylor-McAverson and Finn McAverson, along with his three brothers, Alexander, Ryan, and Garreth, and his sister, Lilah in Roanoke, Virginia surrounded by diplomacy and business deals and politeness. From a young age, Nathan pushed his family's idea of the envelope. From showing up to dinner parties with important figures dressed in sweat soaked exercise clothing to being the first Taylor-McAverson not to be sorted into Horned Serpent, he's considered to be the rebel and troubled child in the family. Though to others, he still seems perfectly fine. He came to the conclusion that he was bisexual in his 3rd year but has only confided that information in Lilah, seeing as it would be something his family would disown him over. Despite being very different from his family, he is still interested in pursuing a career with MACUSA.
Ambitions and Goals:
He would like to become the head of the Department of Magical Accident and Catastrophes.
Pet(s):
Nathan has a spectacled owl named Frankfort or Frank for short.
upload_2017-6-21_13-23-40.png
Extra:
Nathaniel occupies one of the chaser positions for his house quidditch team. His patronus is a sleek black panther.

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-21_13-14-17.png
    upload_2017-6-21_13-14-17.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2017-6-21_13-14-30.png
    upload_2017-6-21_13-14-30.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back