Chitchat If you were going to get a tattoo, what would it be and why?

A pentagram on my back (And I don’t mean a cheap one) because why do I need god?

I'm a bit biased because I already have five tattoos lol. But I've been wanting to save up for this back tattoo idea I came up with a few years ago. I want to see my first tattoo artist for it because his tattoo on my shoulder still looks like I got it done this year (I got it back in 2014).

Anyways, the tattoo idea is feather wings that are folded against my back, but the top tips are on the backs of the tops of my shoulders and the bottom tips of the wings are all the way down to nearly being on my bum lol. The wings are a bit tattered, feathers roughed up and one hanging a bit limply. Then I've got a few loose feathers floating down my back and one resting on my lower back. The wings are two different colors, one entirely black and another is white with black ink starting to cover up the white feathers from the top down.
There's words in-between the wings at the top of my back, pretty much going over my spine. I've got a bunch of quotes I've been setting aside for this tattoo, but haven't really settled on one yet.
"Am I darkness, or am I light?"
"There is darkness inside of all of us."
"Birds are so lucky; they can always escape."

Idk, the tattoo was estimated by my artist to be around $1,000, not including a tip. And I don't have a high pain tolerance, so he said I should do it in two parts, getting the outline and words done first. Then I heal for two weeks and come back for the coloring job.

I'm a bit biased because I already have five tattoos lol. But I've been wanting to save up for this back tattoo idea I came up with a few years ago. I want to see my first tattoo artist for it because his tattoo on my shoulder still looks like I got it done this year (I got it back in 2014).

Anyways, the tattoo idea is feather wings that are folded against my back, but the top tips are on the backs of the tops of my shoulders and the bottom tips of the wings are all the way down to nearly being on my bum lol. The wings are a bit tattered, feathers roughed up and one hanging a bit limply. Then I've got a few loose feathers floating down my back and one resting on my lower back. The wings are two different colors, one entirely black and another is white with black ink starting to cover up the white feathers from the top down.
There's words in-between the wings at the top of my back, pretty much going over my spine. I've got a bunch of quotes I've been setting aside for this tattoo, but haven't really settled on one yet.
"Am I darkness, or am I light?"
"There is darkness inside of all of us."
"Birds are so lucky; they can always escape."

Idk, the tattoo was estimated by my artist to be around $1,000, not including a tip. And I don't have a high pain tolerance, so he said I should do it in two parts, getting the outline and words done first. Then I heal for two weeks and come back for the coloring job.
Oh wow, that sounds like an amazing tattoo. I don't have a high pain tolerance either, so I can't/won't go for big tattoos. Great idea too.

Oh wow, that sounds like an amazing tattoo. I don't have a high pain tolerance either, so I can't/won't go for big tattoos. Great idea too.
I also want to get tattoos based off other things I love and starting off with a simple one that shows off something you love is a brilliant idea. My first tattoo was a Lion King one. :P

I also want to get tattoos based off other things I love and starting off with a simple one that shows off something you love is a brilliant idea. My first tattoo was a Lion King one. :P
I've always wanted to get a tattoo, but I'm VERY indecisive and as I said before, I can't handle pain too well.

I've always wanted to get a tattoo, but I'm VERY indecisive.
I get that. I only got one tattoo in the US. I got all of the other ones in Canada because I found artists there who charged by the hour instead of by the design. And they did a wondrous job for the simpler tattoos I wanted and even one complex one.

If you're getting a simpler design, I'd definitely suggest trying to find someone who charges by the hour instead of by design.

Last edited:
I get that. I only got one tattoo in the US. I got all of the other ones in Canada because I found artists there who charged by the hour instead of by the design. And they did a wondrous job for the simpler tattoos I wanted and even on complex one.

If you're getting a simpler design, I'd definitely suggest trying to find someone who charges by the hour instead of by design.
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep it in mind if I ever work up the courage to get a tattoo.

A small owl on my wrist. Why? My grandmother passed away, and I think it would be a great way to honor her because she said that if she died before her time, she'd come back in the form of an owl.

I want full sleeves on both of my arms. I haven't decided on any patterns because that'll be a long time coming, but eventually.

The doom slayer's symbol and a hummingbird because during this spring a hummingbird nested in my backyard close a window we could see
We watched her raise the two chicks all the way until they left the nest and even after they left whenever we'd go outside she'd always be around [her name was hunny] it also happened when my mom's sister passed away so it would be a nice memorial as well

I think I'd want the first line of the Oath of Geneva (a medical oath created during the Geneva Convention) over my heart: "I solemnly pledge to consecrate my life in the service of humanity."

I want to get a tattoo in the handwriting of my best friend I have known since I was little on my rib cage.

another idea I have is getting a few different symbols from things that made me who I am today like books,animes and movies etc. on my inner thigh.

my last idea is the symbol of Hecate or artmeis behind my ear

No clue. I've been wanting tattoos for years, but I can't settle on anything I'd be comfortable having on my body for the rest of my life.

my best friend and i are going to get matching ones someday. we haven't decided on a design yet but i think a jaybird would be good. it's kinda symbolic of the way we met. honestly if we end up picking something else for matching tattoos then i'll probably get a jaybird anyway lmao. i'd also like something fairly small and simple on my ribcage (ow).

I already have 5 and plan on a ton more, but hey~

My left arm is a fairy tale sleeve with imagery from my favorite stories/books/movies, because I'm a sucker for those stories and they shaped a lot of how I interpret stories, find symbolism, and give me a lot of strength and peace. The right arm I'll be getting an hourglass, since that's the symbol of my oldest character, and I'll be getting UV ink for magic/swirling sand all down the arm.

Right thigh is where all the gorey fairy tale tattoos go. I also have a little tat of Bill Cipher on my hip that matches with my best friend. When we hip bump they high five.

I need a cooking tattoo of some kind, but I haven't worked out what it is yet, because cooking is my highest form of self-care.

I really, really, REALLY want a tattoo from this artist in the Twin Cities who specializes in 80's style cartoon tattoos, and can make it look like those sparkly/iridescent stickers from the late 90s. I'm thinking a set of star sprinkles (shiny, gem-like stars from the cartoon Rainbow Brite) simply because uhhhh.... shiny?? I'm thinking a tramp stamp, because I like being basic.

Well......I don't really have plans, but I do however ponder the idea of getting the ones my father has all over his body. Mostly skull-like tattoos or something else but in a very edgy skull kinda way. He even got one of them for me. (It's a skull train, because when I was younger I was OBSESSED with trains. No joke.)

I've always been interested in simplistic tattoos such as a basic heart or star. My grandma inspired me to get a tattoo with the infinity symbol with rainbow colors. Not sure if I'll have it because of my disability or because of my pride, but it'll probably be both.

I'd get my sigil small on the side of my neck towards the back (does that make sense?) I just think that'd be pretty and useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back