Other If you have or had kids. What are some things you would teach them?

Sylvio

My mind plastered to your screen
Roleplay Type(s)
This is for those who don't have kids or are expecting. Or for those who do have kids and still wanna teach them stuff

In terms of entertainment I would teach my kids about the shows and movies I grew up on. Unfortunately there's so many of them I forgot about some of them lmao. But I'd tell them about shows like Spongebob, Total Drama, Thomas the Tank Engine, Doctor Who (Before Capaldi tho), Deadly Class, Star Wars (the movies, Clone Wars, and some of the EU), the kdramas I watched (I'm not good with drama titles), maybe sitcoms too? I'd also get my kids to listen to the music I grew up on too (mostly kpop, edm, r&b, indie, and alt rock). I don't expect them to have the same music taste as me but I would like too lol. Especially all the games I grew up on. From the PS2 to the Xbox One and PS4. I'd probably get the newer consoles too because I'm a gamer boi lmao

I'd also wanna teach them about their family and their history, especially my parents. I learned a lot from them and would like to pass down their knowledge

I'd also teach them about my social experiences. Especially online, since I have different experience from my parents and I bet online communication will be different as well but I think I'll be able to teach them stuff and just everything about my childhood, where I went wrong and how I'd want my kids to be a better person than me which I'm certain a lot of parents want of their kids uwu

i dont have kids yet (hubby and i have been trying for over a year) but i do babysit my niece very regularly and i'm an early childhood educator, working as a teacher in a 3-5 year old room
the most important things i've been teaching them at the moment is the importance of family. instead of having 'mat sessions', we call them 'family time'
they have the opportunity to express their feelings and news during family time
throughout the day, i've identified their love language and acknowledge when they need their love tanks fueled up. i respect their personal spaces and identify if they're extroverted or introverted
we discuss about australian history and why it's important to acknowledge the aboriginee people and say thank you to them through our acknowledgement of country every morning
and i've also been teaching them korean for over a year now. they can count, say their body parts, introduce themselves, say they're hungry/thirsty/in pain etc
whenever we have visitors or new staff start, they always comment on how well behaved the children are and how you can see they're emotionally developed through the relationships and environments we've built with them C:

actually, my niece has also caught on to my bts obsession and shes in love with them too. she's five and can identify every single member. her favourite is V (this is her below). when hubby and i have children, we want to raise them the same way. our goal in life is to live abroad in korea (which has been a big part of my identity since i was very little - i've always been obsessed with korean culture since i was about 6); therefore, we plan on teaching our children korean from the beginning along with sign language too.

i dont have kids yet (hubby and i have been trying for over a year) but i do babysit my niece very regularly and i'm an early childhood educator, working as a teacher in a 3-5 year old room
the most important things i've been teaching them at the moment is the importance of family. instead of having 'mat sessions', we call them 'family time'
they have the opportunity to express their feelings and news during family time
throughout the day, i've identified their love language and acknowledge when they need their love tanks fueled up. i respect their personal spaces and identify if they're extroverted or introverted
we discuss about australian history and why it's important to acknowledge the aboriginee people and say thank you to them through our acknowledgement of country every morning
and i've also been teaching them korean for over a year now. they can count, say their body parts, introduce themselves, say they're hungry/thirsty/in pain etc
whenever we have visitors or new staff start, they always comment on how well behaved the children are and how you can see they're emotionally developed through the relationships and environments we've built with them C:

actually, my niece has also caught on to my bts obsession and shes in love with them too. she's five and can identify every single member. her favourite is V (this is her below). when hubby and i have children, we want to raise them the same way. our goal in life is to live abroad in korea (which has been a big part of my identity since i was very little - i've always been obsessed with korean culture since i was about 6); therefore, we plan on teaching our children korean from the beginning along with sign language too.
View attachment 565526

AAA SHE LOOKS SO CUTE

I do hope you get a kid of your own tho ;u; and have a family of bilingual kids who are kpop fans. You'll probably do great since you have experience educating other kids

Man, I don't have a single biological child yet (still gotta work on that whole getting married and settling down thing which is difficult because, military lol), but I have had a hand in raising eight different kids (sister's kids, brothers kids, my best friend's kid) since I was ten years old. I grew up fast because I've always had little ones looking up to me. So this is something I have actually experienced first hand.

With my nieces and nephews and my goddaughter, the biggest thing I've tried to implement into their lives is a love of reading, art, and/or music. Since they were young I've always tried to read to them as often as I have them, because I know that reading A) makes kids way smart, and B) ignites imagination, which is something I cannot imagine my childhood without. I show them art and music a lot, too, hoping that a little bit of something like that every day can inspire their young creative minds to think and motivate them to want to create stuff on their own.

The big one I'm working on right now with myself that I hope to do a good job with kids on is the importance of hard work. Whether in your education, in your job, whatever. I didn't work hard when I was a kid/teenager to set myself up for a good future and had to fight so hard to get where I am because of it, and I'm not even anywhere near where I should be or want to be. When I have kids I want them to have fun and be a kid and stuff but I really hope I will be an example that you have to be dedicated and passionate about what you want because being lukewarm/just not caring about your future can set you up for failure and a lot of unnecessary hardship. Honestly, my oldest two nieces saw the worst of me when I was a teenager haha, and I wish I could go back and put more effort into my education and that they didn't have to see me drop out of high school due to my own laziness.

So yeah, reading and working hard I guess are the biggest ones I can think of right now.

Not that I'd want to be a parent, but if I were, I'd start with teaching them to be self sufficient. Have them bring their own plate to the sink or clothes to the laundry and then progress to them cleaning the plate and doing the laundry, that kinda thing.

I'd teach them to go to Goodwill instead of blowing $30 on a single t-shirt at the mall.

no where NEAR having kids , i'm one myself ,
but my future kiddos will never be materialistic
or intentionally shame others who are less fortunate
than we are . they're gonna learn to be grateful for
what they have .

If I ever have children, I hope to be able to teach them how to think critically and in an open minded-manner. If they only ever learn one thing from me, let it be that you have something to learn from everyone and everyone has something they can learn from you, so it is imperative that one be able to receive that knowledge to improve one's own viewpoint. There are times when you'll be right, times when you'll be wrong, but if you are willing to learn and improve from your mistakes and to iron out and put to the test what you believe to be correct, you can become a truly great person.

A second thing would be respect for people's dignity. I want to be kind, yes, but more importantly I want them to know why one should be kind. Why you shouldn't do things that harm people even if their feelings aren't hurt- and why hurting those feelings is still bad. I want them them to understand selflessness without disregarding their self-care, to have pride fueled by duty and not scorn. Human dignity, and respecting it, is a fundamental aspect of a good person, the building block of it in my eyes. And I definitely want my children to be good people.

Third I want to teach my children to think long-term. Short-sighted decisions lead to the biggest regrets of my life, with lasting consequences both for my family life and my work life (well, I'm still a student, but you know what I mean), and I don't want them to have to live with regrets like that.I want, if possible, to make sure my children are thinking about the gains and losses of every decision, to be able to put up with small inconveniences to live a happier life in the future.

Last on my list would be my religion. While I know many may even be upset that I would say I wish to impart my religion onto my children (though I do not wish to force their hand should they desire to abandon it once they are at an age when they can be trusted with such monumental decisions), however I think any well-meaning religious parent would. After all, for us who believe in religion, it's a matter more important than life and death, it's a matter of eternal happiness or eternal suffering. I wish for my children, if I ever have any, to be saved.

I don't have my own kids but I am an uncle to a strapping 14/almost 15 month old boy, and a 2nd boy is on the way, so I'm definitely thinking about what I might teach them!

If I ever have children, I hope to be able to teach them how to think critically and in an open minded-manner. If they only ever learn one thing from me, let it be that you have something to learn from everyone and everyone has something they can learn from you, so it is imperative that one be able to receive that knowledge to improve one's own viewpoint. There are times when you'll be right, times when you'll be wrong, but if you are willing to learn and improve from your mistakes and to iron out and put to the test what you believe to be correct, you can become a truly great person.

A second thing would be respect for people's dignity. I want to be kind, yes, but more importantly I want them to know why one should be kind. Why you shouldn't do things that harm people even if their feelings aren't hurt- and why hurting those feelings is still bad. I want them them to understand selflessness without disregarding their self-care, to have pride fueled by duty and not scorn. Human dignity, and respecting it, is a fundamental aspect of a good person, the building block of it in my eyes. And I definitely want my children to be good people.

Third I want to teach my children to think long-term. Short-sighted decisions lead to the biggest regrets of my life, with lasting consequences both for my family life and my work life (well, I'm still a student, but you know what I mean), and I don't want them to have to live with regrets like that.I want, if possible, to make sure my children are thinking about the gains and losses of every decision, to be able to put up with small inconveniences to live a happier life in the future.

Last on my list would be my religion. While I know many may even be upset that I would say I wish to impart my religion onto my children (though I do not wish to force their hand should they desire to abandon it once they are at an age when they can be trusted with such monumental decisions), however I think any well-meaning religious parent would. After all, for us who believe in religion, it's a matter more important than life and death, it's a matter of eternal happiness or eternal suffering. I wish for my children, if I ever have any, to be saved.
Agreed a 100% and sums up exactly what or more how I want to raise my children.

I think the main thing I'd wanna teach boils down to "do no harm, but take no bullshit". Like, that you should be kind, but shouldn't let that prevent you from saying no to people that don't have your best interests at heart or toxic situations. And that it's not 'rude' to speak out about those things, and that you're under no obligation to just live with it or get over it or anything like that.
Don't really know if I'll have kids though, I can barely look after myself-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back