• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Idea

What do you think?

• This is an amazing idea, I'm in.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you on drugs?

• Meh. I might join.

• Total voters
Well, you don't need to be doctor, but coming up with a backstory for the two (physical) protagonists would surely help with potential players forming some concepts, correct? Be they personae of deflection/avoidance, or manic ones. DID is co-morbid (that is to say, occurs along side many other psychological conditions) with may different disorders. If you aren't looking for a RP based around a medical issue, you could have it be caused by magic or fantastic science, e.g. members of a school tour touching a magic medallion or explorers of an alien world coming across an unknown artefact.

It would be difficult to run a game with many issues or disorders like that, however, having some grounding in the subject would assist in an appropriate roleplay. And similarly to that novel, the condition doesn't need to be greatly elucidated for that purpose.

I do know know the novel of which you two speak, but any ideas on what I should base the the unfortunate circumstance upon would be greatly appreciated

What are you looking for in the roleplay? Is it meant to be mostly serious or light hearted? What would bring the characters together?

If we take a more serious/realistic theme and tone, then the children could meet a waiting room prior their regular appointments with a psychologist for their DID or other condition. Perhaps recognising each other the bus or train. If it is more light hearted, then the range possibilities becomes more varied, like in my early suggestions (not just medical reasons, but science fiction as well).

Bardiel said:
What are you looking for in the roleplay? Is it meant to be mostly serious or light hearted? What would bring the characters together?
If we take a more serious/realistic theme and tone, then the children could meet a waiting room prior their regular appointments with a psychologist for their DID or other condition. Perhaps recognising each other the bus or train. If it is more light hearted, then the range possibilities becomes more varied, like in my early suggestions (not just medical reasons, but science fiction as well).
Well, what would you guys like it to be? More serious? Or more light-hearted? I was thinking light-hearted, but I dunno

Well, as a Storyteller, the tone is largely yours to initially define. As such, it is possible to rework it. Playing up the odd couple or buddy cop angle, you can work the more light hearted aspect of mystery investigation or misadventure. To take a wild, random idea: if you are familiar with Firefly, take Simom Tam as the human with River as the Geist. Or Watson as the person in the mundane world, with a Sherlock incessantly spouting their hypotheses and observations to them. Far from miserable, with great potential for humour. Not to mention cases where the two may experience much greater camaraderie, such as Riggs and Murtaugh.

I'm sadly not familiar with these shows. Therefore, not aware of how these characters act. Also, this idea doesn't really allow the whole multi-personality thing I was aiming for.

I was referring Firefly, Sherlock Holmes and Lethal Weapon, for some differences in genres. Anyway, point is with some tweaking, you could make it work. Players could engage in a contest of will, with whomever winning (for a time) gaining physical control over the person and therefore expressing that persona, before it is rested from them. This allows multiple plot points and sources of narrative drama.

That was what I was going for. "Players could engage in a contest of will, with whomever winning (for a time) gaining physical control over the person and therefore expressing that persona, before it is rested from them. This allows multiple plot points and sources of narrative drama."

But, how would the "winner of wills" be determined?

Simple roll would suffice. To make it more interesting, have the players choose to balance their level of control or influence against the duration that can do so. In other words, Control Versus Duration. Each persona has 10 points. Players can put this into either Control (odds of gaining influence) or Duration (how long they can maintain the Control).

Example:

Persona John has Control 7 and Duration 3. The Player makes a single 1-10 roll. If they get under 7, they get Control, but only for 3 turns (which could be half an hour or 3 hours).

Persona Claire has Control 3 and Duration 7. If they get a Roll result equal to or under 3, they get Control, but have Duration 7 and so that could either 70 minutes or seven hours.

Persona John will gain Control more commonly, but have less time to complete their objectives or desires. Persona Claire will have Control less frequently, but much longer in which fulfill their ambition.

If their is a tie, then you could used either the lowest value on the Control Roll or whoever has the highest Control Stat could go first, until their Duration runs out. (Of course storyteller fiat is an option as well.)

Bardiel said:
Simple roll would suffice. To make it more interesting, have the players choose to balance their level of control or influence against the duration that can do so. In other words, Control Versus Duration. Each persona has 10 points. Players can put this into either Control (odds of gaining influence) or Duration (how long they can maintain the Control).
Example:

Persona John has Control 7 and Duration 3. The Player makes a single 1-10 roll. If they get under 7, they get Control, but only for 3 turns (which could be half an hour or 3 hours).

Persona Claire has Control 3 and Duration 7. If they get a Roll result equal to or under 3, they get Control, but have Duration 7 and so that could either 70 minutes or seven hours.

Persona John will gain Control more commonly, but have less time to complete their objectives or desires. Persona Claire will have Control less frequently, but much longer in which fulfill their ambition.

If their is a tie, then you could used either the lowest value on the Control Roll or whoever has the highest Control Stat could go first, until their Duration runs out. (Of course storyteller fiat is an option as well.)
That sounds like a good idea, but extremely complicated.

What do you guys think?

@Miss Fallen Matrix

@Bardiel

@Proxy

@Vyork Ashfin

@clarinetti

@iShyShy

@GimmickPuppet

@pokemariofan64

Well, it only sounds complicated because I trying to explain via text. To try to simplify the idea:

Players can choose their chances for the personality to surface; trading off between frequent action versus sustained engagement. Kind of like how the player might post themselves... a few lines of text, rather than paragraphs.

I guess it could work but it seems like it'd take a lot of work to get people ready to post. The concept makes sense though. I also think that if a certain personality take over is wanted in a situation, we should be able to suggest on it. So maybe it's the end of Personality 1's posting time slot and Personality 1 thinks that a good follow up would be Personality 4 so he/she tags the person running Personality 4 as a suggestion. Does that make sense?

iShyShy said:
I guess it could work but it seems like it'd take a lot of work to get people ready to post. The concept makes sense though. I also think that if a certain personality take over is wanted in a situation, we should be able to suggest on it. So maybe it's the end of Personality 1's posting time slot and Personality 1 thinks that a good follow up would be Personality 4 so he/she tags the person running Personality 4 as a suggestion. Does that make sense?
That makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back