Anime & Manga Idea Offers Anime Suggestions

I know this post is literally a year old, but I’d like some recommendations.
No worries there. I do keep it in my signature for a reason XD Even though not a lot of people come here...

1. It doesn’t matter much to me, as long as there’s at least 12+ episodes already out.
2. I have a deep love for romance, shoujo, shounen, school, sci fi, horror/psychological horror, comedy, slice of life, and reverse harems (but having one or more of those traits not in it is fine). I dislike harems, ecchi (although light or moderate fan service is okay, just don’t go High School of the Dead on me. . .), and some historical. Anything else is fine and I don’t care too much if it’s in or not.
3. I’d prefer there’s a manga if the ending isn’t really clear, like in Kaichou wa Maid Sama. Also, just for good measure, here’s a list of anime I have seen.

Sword Art Online, Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online, Fairy Tail, Psycho Pass, Mirai Nikki, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kiss him not me, Kaichou wa Maid-Sama, Boku no Hero Academia, One Piece, The “Fate” series, Highschool of the Dead, Boku no Pico (uggh I regret watching it), Attack on Titian, One Punch Man, Re: Zero, Himouto! Umaru-Chan, Luky Star, Tokyo Ghoul, Black Butler, Soul Eater, Vampire Knight, Kakegurui, Free!, Yuri on Ice, and Shokugeki no Souma/Food Wars. (Hope That narrowed down the possible list)

Star Recommendations (in no particular order):

*Gosick - Picture Sherlock Holmes as a loli, boom Gosick. Surprising no one this anime has a good deal of Victorian inspiration, with romantic leaning and a hint at the school genre too, though it's more context than anything meaningful. It also has slice of life, shoujo elements and a degree of horror (I think) due to the mysteries.

*Mahoutsukai no Yome - 20 something episodes I think, at some point I stopped watching it, but I'll let you know part of that was because I was fed up with just how much praise this show was getting. Put in the simplest way I can, there is this girl who sells herself as a slave and is bought by a benevolent magician who treats her well but wants her to become his wife. I know it sounds very creepy, but it's not as creepy as it sounds in the actual narrative....probably. It's one of those "the prince kissed a girl in her sleep, but that was sleeping beauty" type of situations.
Anyway, it's a heavily romance-based show with a good deal of shoujo elements and even a degree of reverse harem stuff depending on how you look at it. I can't quite tell you wat era the actual world is supposed to be on, but for fans of history and especially of mythology, the weaving of folklore into the worldbuilding is jaw-dropping as is the art and musical score.

*Angel Beats - Appearantly when you die, you go to highschool. Well, there is a lot of mystery in Angel Beat's actual overall story, but a good chunk of it is kept to the end so I won't spoil. However, it contains an absolutely fantastic mix of comedy, slice of life, highschool, action, a degree of horror and it is often renowned for it's drama too. It does have a strong romantic pair developed over time as well.

*Assassination Classroom - The teacher of a class for failures turns out to have just blow up the moon and is now threatening to do the same to Earth unless they let him take the position of teacher in that classroom. The students are tasked with murdering the living sh*t out of that mach-speed-moving-monster. Over it's two seasons assassination classroom remains a phenomenal anime even on rewatch, juggling an impressive amount of characters and tones, and developing every single one of it's aspects. It's got action, comedy, drama and as the title implies it's set in a school (well, it's a middleschool rather than highschool but eh...)

*Inuyashiki - stylistic and one of the only 3D anime I ever managed to bear watching, this show focuses around an old man (heartbreaking first few scenes, caution advised) who gets accidentally smashed by an alien ship and they reconstruct his body using their own technology. Not much in the way of romance, but the horror elements, scifi elements and action are pretty high up there.

*Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha (series) - Some magical girl shows take the best of shounen and mash into a shoujo version, and Lyrical Nanoha is certainly one of them. There are...questionable romantic elements, namely in later seasons where the two leads arguably become a lesbian couple, though at first you can expect plenty of great action with a good mix of humor and believe it or not pretty amazing scifi (well, to be more precise it's science fantasy, so I guess it depends on whether you consider star wars scifi).

*Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume - Now this one is a little out of your rules, simply because it is finished but it's only a 5 episode show. Nonetheless it's an absolutely astonishing and beautiful anime, more like a brilliantly composed movie than a single running series you could say. Rather than give you a synopsis, I think this one is an experience one ought to savor rather than go prepared beforehand, so I recommend watching the first episode and decide whether you want to continue from there or not.

*Kotoura-san - Brilliant first episode which made me make a whole two part post just detailing it's brilliance, this show is about a girl born with the ability to read minds. The way it explores her life and the consequences of having such a power in a world where no one else does or believes it would exist is done in a way very few shows can brag of doing. Highschool, a bit of drama, quesitonable horror, and pretty great romance.

Honorable Mentions (others which fit your choices, or almost do, but which I didn't think fit the mold well enough to deserve star recommendation)

Code Geass

Hinamatsuri

Kokoro Connect

Net-juu no Susume

Sukasuka

Shiyan Pin Jiating

Sora no Method

Violet Evergarden

Koi to Uso

Tsurezure Children

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits

Re: Creators

No worries there. I do keep it in my signature for a reason XD Even though not a lot of people come here...

Star Recommendations (in no particular order):

*Gosick - Picture Sherlock Holmes as a loli, boom Gosick. Surprising no one this anime has a good deal of Victorian inspiration, with romantic leaning and a hint at the school genre too, though it's more context than anything meaningful. It also has slice of life, shoujo elements and a degree of horror (I think) due to the mysteries.

*Mahoutsukai no Yome - 20 something episodes I think, at some point I stopped watching it, but I'll let you know part of that was because I was fed up with just how much praise this show was getting. Put in the simplest way I can, there is this girl who sells herself as a slave and is bought by a benevolent magician who treats her well but wants her to become his wife. I know it sounds very creepy, but it's not as creepy as it sounds in the actual narrative....probably. It's one of those "the prince kissed a girl in her sleep, but that was sleeping beauty" type of situations.
Anyway, it's a heavily romance-based show with a good deal of shoujo elements and even a degree of reverse harem stuff depending on how you look at it. I can't quite tell you wat era the actual world is supposed to be on, but for fans of history and especially of mythology, the weaving of folklore into the worldbuilding is jaw-dropping as is the art and musical score.

*Angel Beats - Appearantly when you die, you go to highschool. Well, there is a lot of mystery in Angel Beat's actual overall story, but a good chunk of it is kept to the end so I won't spoil. However, it contains an absolutely fantastic mix of comedy, slice of life, highschool, action, a degree of horror and it is often renowned for it's drama too. It does have a strong romantic pair developed over time as well.

*Assassination Classroom - The teacher of a class for failures turns out to have just blow up the moon and is now threatening to do the same to Earth unless they let him take the position of teacher in that classroom. The students are tasked with murdering the living sh*t out of that mach-speed-moving-monster. Over it's two seasons assassination classroom remains a phenomenal anime even on rewatch, juggling an impressive amount of characters and tones, and developing every single one of it's aspects. It's got action, comedy, drama and as the title implies it's set in a school (well, it's a middleschool rather than highschool but eh...)

*Inuyashiki - stylistic and one of the only 3D anime I ever managed to bear watching, this show focuses around an old man (heartbreaking first few scenes, caution advised) who gets accidentally smashed by an alien ship and they reconstruct his body using their own technology. Not much in the way of romance, but the horror elements, scifi elements and action are pretty high up there.

*Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha (series) - Some magical girl shows take the best of shounen and mash into a shoujo version, and Lyrical Nanoha is certainly one of them. There are...questionable romantic elements, namely in later seasons where the two leads arguably become a lesbian couple, though at first you can expect plenty of great action with a good mix of humor and believe it or not pretty amazing scifi (well, to be more precise it's science fantasy, so I guess it depends on whether you consider star wars scifi).

*Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume - Now this one is a little out of your rules, simply because it is finished but it's only a 5 episode show. Nonetheless it's an absolutely astonishing and beautiful anime, more like a brilliantly composed movie than a single running series you could say. Rather than give you a synopsis, I think this one is an experience one ought to savor rather than go prepared beforehand, so I recommend watching the first episode and decide whether you want to continue from there or not.

*Kotoura-san - Brilliant first episode which made me make a whole two part post just detailing it's brilliance, this show is about a girl born with the ability to read minds. The way it explores her life and the consequences of having such a power in a world where no one else does or believes it would exist is done in a way very few shows can brag of doing. Highschool, a bit of drama, quesitonable horror, and pretty great romance.

Honorable Mentions (others which fit your choices, or almost do, but which I didn't think fit the mold well enough to deserve star recommendation)

Code Geass

Hinamatsuri

Kokoro Connect

Net-juu no Susume

Sukasuka

Shiyan Pin Jiating

Sora no Method

Violet Evergarden

Koi to Uso

Tsurezure Children

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits

Re: Creators
Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll be sure to check some of them out! (Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume, and Gosick, both sound really good)

Gosick, Code Geass, and Angel Beats are all A M A Z I N G! Thanks for the recommendations!

Idk if that’s a compliment, because it just shows me that I still have no social life.

“I should do my homework, wait a new episode of Gosick?! My 0% in math can wait!”

1 i dont mind
2 i generally like darker animes/shows including but not limited to, dark humor, murder, drugs,
3 mythical creatures, vampires, werewolfs. Demons are a must

I haven't watch anime in months so I want to start hunting for some good animes again. I actually have a MAL list but there's more than 200 titles in my plan to watch so feck that list, I don't even remember why I put most of them there.

1) Finished please, I can't stand cliff hanger XD

2) Generally I like comedy and slice of life. I prefer anime with light-hearted visual regardless of the content. My favorite anime is Kobayashi maid dragon, Shirobako and Made in Abyss.

3) What I'm looking now is something in the Slice of Life/Drama genre. I want something that is not all fluff but also not all grim. Something that is mostly realistic, maybe one or two fantasy element is fine. Something like shirobako, Silver spoon or Chihayafuru. Also, I prefer if romance doesn't take the front seat.

Take me to the roller coaster please! XD

1 i dont mind
2 i generally like darker animes/shows including but not limited to, dark humor, murder, drugs,
3 mythical creatures, vampires, werewolfs. Demons are a must
Sorry about the delayed response! To be honest this was quite the tall order, as you picked two things I really hate together (demons and grimdark) as what you were looking for. With that said, here are the results I came up with:

Star Recommendations:

Devilman Crybaby- One of the most talked about shows of the past year and highly praised in just about every regard, it involves as the name would suggest demons and is pretty dark from what I hear. I personally have no interest in watching it, though if you do, I hear it's quite good.

Ao No Exorcist- Complete with a second season and everything, this show about the actual son of Satan is pretty much what you'd expect of a shonen with that concept. Lots of fighting, demons and a bit of darkness, which just might enough on that dark side to please you.

Overlod- Guy is trapped in a game as his evil avatar (forever), and as the story develops it becames clear that has become that avatar, not just inherited the body. In truth overlord is more the story of the protagonist's presence in the world and his impact on it, than a normal story, which allows the story to go for some dark places by focusing on people other than the main cast (which in turn is mostly composed by all sorts of creatures, including a skeleton, dark elves, humanoid cockroaches and demons).

Owari No Seraph- Post-apocalyptic show where the world was taken over by vampires who now rule over and make cattle of humans. Characters manage to escape, and you can kind figure where the main plot goes from there. Well, with a few twists. There are also demons there, but I won't spoil you on where they show up.

kekkai Sensen- To be honest I couldn't wrap my head around this one so I dropped it, but it does have a pretty decent following, and it all kinds of weirdness, the tone is all over the place, and of course it has demons and such.

Honorable Mentions:

Yakusoku No Neverland- The monsters involved in the plot are called demons and the show is pretty dark, but I'm not sure if one would straight up call them demons

Blood Lad- It's more on the comedy side, but it has a parade of just about everything classical monsters, werewolves, vampires and demons.

Doreiku The animation- No demons or mythological creatures of any kind here, but this show about a device that can enslave people when they loose a duel with you has all of those juicy dark themes you were looking for in quite a package.

Generally I like comedy and slice of life. I prefer anime with light-hearted visual regardless of the content
Made in Abyss
ea3.png
3108325b93112a3456384e0b1c490402.png

I haven't watch anime in months so I want to start hunting for some good animes again. I actually have a MAL list but there's more than 200 titles in my plan to watch so feck that list, I don't even remember why I put most of them there.

1) Finished please, I can't stand cliff hanger XD

2) Generally I like comedy and slice of life. I prefer anime with light-hearted visual regardless of the content. My favorite anime is Kobayashi maid dragon, Shirobako and Made in Abyss.

3) What I'm looking now is something in the Slice of Life/Drama genre. I want something that is not all fluff but also not all grim. Something that is mostly realistic, maybe one or two fantasy element is fine. Something like shirobako, Silver spoon or Chihayafuru. Also, I prefer if romance doesn't take the front seat.

Take me to the roller coaster please! XD
Oh boy...the sheer list of them. I decided to take out any with any focus on romance, just for the sake of not dumping half my MAL list on you.

Well, let's start

Star Recommendations:

*Action Heroine Cheer Fruits - There are only a handful of anime that made me cry and this, believe it or not, was one of them, due to the sheer grounding and relatability of the characters, and just well they are written. The show has a great mixture of a lot of things, drama, comedy, slice of life elements, the characters actually having a proper goal... yet remains grounded in a fully realistic setting (with minor cultural changes which are entirely believable in my opinion). It's cute, it's got a good look to it, it's well-written and fits pretty much everything you're looking for from what you've told me, so this is definitely one of my main recommendations.

*Demi-chan Wa Kataritai - One of the things I most loved about "interviews with monster girls" is the care put into the worldbuilding and the creative interpretations of the classifical mythical creatures which helps to ground it a bit more on it's setting, and overall explores a growing relationship between the "demis" with only minor romance elements (more on the level of puppy crushes than anything). It's heart-warming, funny when it wants to be, worth a watch.

*Irozu Sekai no Ashita Kara - A rather beautiful and at times rather emotional show about a colorblind girl whose grandmother sends her back into the past. There is a little focus on romance for the drama, but it's mostly focused on friendship and learning to appreciate oneself and the world around us. It's got a good mix of drama and comedy, as well as a mostly realistic focus, with just a little bit of magic sprinkled in but which is treated as a more minor element, the way a character caring a lot about pottery might affect them and it has about the same extent of impact in the plot (outside of the innitial premise)

*Amaama No Inazuma - A cooking slice of life show mostly on comedy with a bit of drama sprinkled in. It's got an absolutely adorable cast and decent art work, plus the bonus of providing real recipies for cooking.

*Hinamatsuri - No every show pulls the level of heart-string pulling drama and drop-on-the-ground-rolling comedy that Hinamatsuri can muster, yet it did exactly that. The best part is that it does this as it develops the characters, but not necessarily always bound by the main characters alone. It's hard to say much more without spoiling it, but it was a show with both entertainment and meaning that is most definitley worth anyone's time.

*Sora No Method - One of cutest, most adorable shows I've ever seen. It also fits quite well what you wanted, good comedy, good drama, slice of life not a lot of focus on romance if any.

*Suzumyia Haruhi no Yuutsu - The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumyia is a pretty well-famed show worth knowing if nothing else for the impact it had on modern anime and for how often it is mentioned. Furthermore, as with the rest on this list it fits your requirements well. There's quite a meta element to appreciate about it, but there's also somehting to watch out for, and that is the mess of an episode order it has, with bits of plots and such jumping around, no chronological order to the episodes and so on... It's worth navigating through and trying to understand though, at the very least to enjoy the movie.

*Yahari Ore Wa No Seishu Love Comedy Wa Machitteiru - While there is admitedly a pretty big focus on romance on this one, just for the fact it stayed one of my top ten anime from when i watched it to this day, and just how rewatchable it is makes it worth putting it on starred in my opinion. It's a great slice of life with both excellent comedy and excellent drama, built with good characters and intelligent plot points and resolutions.

Honorable Mentions: (mostly just shows which still fit your criteria pretty well, but just weren't at the level of the others, or were a that level but failed the requirements to some minor extent)

Barakamon

Gakuen Babysitters

Handa-Kun

Sakamoto Desu Ga?

Shyian Pin Jiating

Shinryaku! Ika Musume (seasons 1 and 2)

Tonari no Kyukestuki-san

Know of anything like One Punch Man or Hero Academia?
Yes. Though which shows those would be depends on exactly what you find to be the common element between those that you seek.

Superhero show?

or

Shounen (the genre that includes both of those)

Or something else entirely?

Well, I'm a man of culture :angels:

Star Recommendations:

*Action Heroine Cheer Fruits - There are only a handful of anime that made me cry and this, believe it or not, was one of them, due to the sheer grounding and relatability of the characters, and just well they are written. The show has a great mixture of a lot of things, drama, comedy, slice of life elements, the characters actually having a proper goal... yet remains grounded in a fully realistic setting (with minor cultural changes which are entirely believable in my opinion). It's cute, it's got a good look to it, it's well-written and fits pretty much everything you're looking for from what you've told me, so this is definitely one of my main recommendations.

*Demi-chan Wa Kataritai - One of the things I most loved about "interviews with monster girls" is the care put into the worldbuilding and the creative interpretations of the classifical mythical creatures which helps to ground it a bit more on it's setting, and overall explores a growing relationship between the "demis" with only minor romance elements (more on the level of puppy crushes than anything). It's heart-warming, funny when it wants to be, worth a watch.

*Irozu Sekai no Ashita Kara - A rather beautiful and at times rather emotional show about a colorblind girl whose grandmother sends her back into the past. There is a little focus on romance for the drama, but it's mostly focused on friendship and learning to appreciate oneself and the world around us. It's got a good mix of drama and comedy, as well as a mostly realistic focus, with just a little bit of magic sprinkled in but which is treated as a more minor element, the way a character caring a lot about pottery might affect them and it has about the same extent of impact in the plot (outside of the innitial premise)

*Amaama No Inazuma - A cooking slice of life show mostly on comedy with a bit of drama sprinkled in. It's got an absolutely adorable cast and decent art work, plus the bonus of providing real recipies for cooking.

*Hinamatsuri - No every show pulls the level of heart-string pulling drama and drop-on-the-ground-rolling comedy that Hinamatsuri can muster, yet it did exactly that. The best part is that it does this as it develops the characters, but not necessarily always bound by the main characters alone. It's hard to say much more without spoiling it, but it was a show with both entertainment and meaning that is most definitley worth anyone's time.

*Sora No Method - One of cutest, most adorable shows I've ever seen. It also fits quite well what you wanted, good comedy, good drama, slice of life not a lot of focus on romance if any.

*Suzumyia Haruhi no Yuutsu - The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumyia is a pretty well-famed show worth knowing if nothing else for the impact it had on modern anime and for how often it is mentioned. Furthermore, as with the rest on this list it fits your requirements well. There's quite a meta element to appreciate about it, but there's also somehting to watch out for, and that is the mess of an episode order it has, with bits of plots and such jumping around, no chronological order to the episodes and so on... It's worth navigating through and trying to understand though, at the very least to enjoy the movie.

*Yahari Ore Wa No Seishu Love Comedy Wa Machitteiru - While there is admitedly a pretty big focus on romance on this one, just for the fact it stayed one of my top ten anime from when i watched it to this day, and just how rewatchable it is makes it worth putting it on starred in my opinion. It's a great slice of life with both excellent comedy and excellent drama, built with good characters and intelligent plot points and resolutions.

Honorable Mentions: (mostly just shows which still fit your criteria pretty well, but just weren't at the level of the others, or were a that level but failed the requirements to some minor extent)

Barakamon

Gakuen Babysitters

Handa-Kun

Sakamoto Desu Ga?

Shyian Pin Jiating

Shinryaku! Ika Musume (seasons 1 and 2)

Tonari no Kyukestuki-san

Yassh. Among the star recommedations, I only know about Amaama to Inazuma(gave me a few days worth of diabetes), Haruhi(have not watch) and Oregairu(waiting for Hachiman to bang Iroha in season 3). Heroine Cheer Fruit and Hinamatsuri seems the most interesting to me, will definitely check those out later. I found that drama is a hit or miss genre for me, I don't like some of the popular ones like your lie i april or Anohana but then I almost cri when watching some scene in Kobayashi maid dragon XD
anyway, thx for the recs.

Hmm... I could use some new shows to check out

1) Do you want something that is airing or somehting that is finished?
Either is fine

2) Any information about what you generally like that I should know?
Action, adventure, maybe some character drama thrown in (just as long as it isn’t romantic drama). I’m okay with darker things and I’m also okay with more lighthearted things. I’m not fond of romance and tend to avoid it wherever possible. I also don’t like sports anime.

3) Any specifics that you are looking for in what you want to see in the recommendations?
Some fun shounen, idk. Maybe something more than that. I wouldn’t be opposed to checking out a fun comedy series, or something darker - I’m even kind of interested in horror, sometimes? I love series that balance comedy and more serious moments (some of my favorite shows at the moment are Mob Psycho 100 and, like everyone else and their dog, I like My Hero Academia). However, I’m also into stuff that’s calmer and more atmospheric I guess (I love Natsume Yuujinchou and Mushishi).
I like manga too... so
I dunno lol

Last edited:
Hmm I could use a suggestion or two from the recent anime.

Preferably finished.

Shounen definitely. Fantasy/action/adventure. Isekai, if it's something close to Log Horizon or Re Zero or Grimgar, with more serious tone.
I need a plot that will keep me invested and characters I can care about. And something that is serious but with comedic elements. Or comedy with serious elements. Bonus points if it's something (pseudo)historical or mythology-based. And I really like 'chinese fantasy' settings. Think along the lines of 'Juuni Kokuki' or 'Saiunkoku Monogatari'.
To give you some pointers, my favourite anime are Rurouni Kenshin, Slayers and Gintama.

3) Any specifics that you are looking for in what you want to see in the recommendations?
Something recent, within the last 5-6 years, unless it's some very niche old anime that maybe wasn't talked about much. I watched a lot of anime classics, so no need to mention things like Fate/Stay Night or Gurren Lagann but I barely know anything from the last few years.
I'd prefer it to be without too much fanservice. Not that I dislike fanservice, healthy fanservice is good, but I don't like when it's the only point of anime without anything else to interest me.
Even though I stated I like action, I'm not opposed to more relaxed things if they have some fantasy/mythology elements (like Natsume Yuujinchou or Hoozuki no Reitetsu).
And if you can suggest something with crime/mystery along the lines of 'Majin Tantei Neuro Nogami' or 'Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru' would be great! Been a while I watched some crime-solving anime!

Hmm... I could use some new shows to check out

Either is fine

Action, adventure, maybe some character drama thrown in (just as long as it isn’t romantic drama). I’m okay with darker things and I’m also okay with more lighthearted things. I’m not fond of romance and tend to avoid it wherever possible. I also don’t like sports anime.

Some fun shounen, idk. Maybe something more than that. I wouldn’t be opposed to checking out a fun comedy series, or something darker - I’m even kind of interested in horror, sometimes? I love series that balance comedy and more serious moments (some of my favorite shows at the moment are Mob Psycho 100 and, like everyone else and their dog, I like My Hero Academia). However, I’m also into stuff that’s calmer and more atmospheric I guess (I love Natsume Yuujinchou and Mushishi).
I like manga too... so
I dunno lol

Star Recommendations:

*Re:creators - Putting this one first cause it's my favorite anime, filled with great and diverse action that plays well on the elements of the setting, very meta and full of unique ideas, as well as an exploration of themes on writing. It does have a few pacing issues however, in the beginning anyway, but the writing, art and music are all exceptional.

*Fate/Zero - One of the most renowned installments of the fate franchise, this anime leans quite a bit on the darker side of what it has to offer, but with all the awesomeness of superpowered historical and mythological figures duking it out alongside magic partners, and way this particular show explores it's themes and characters makes it so it

*Ansatsu Kyoushitsu - Assassination classroom is a show about an octopus monster that can move at mach speed threatening to blow up the planet unless he is allowed to become a teacher for a certain class, which in turn is tasked with killing him so that he can't destroy the Earth. From that description alone it should become apperant that there is plenty of action and plenty of whackiness to this series. Furthermore, despite it's large cast there is a considerable amount of focus and development to each element, with the plot being quite skillfully woven alongside that development, being independent but also matching the story beats needed to give just about everything the right timing. If you watch this one, I must really insit that you check both seasons for the complete story.

*Fullmetal Alchemist - Whether the classic or brotherhood, this anime has shone as one of the best examples of what anime has to offer for many. The power of alchemy gives rise to a whole host of potential for creative action and it is far from restricted in location, thus allowing for a large adventure aspect. One of the best fits for what you asked me.

*Mekaku City Actors - Another show that is hard to describe because spoilers, but also in this case because it's a very confusing show until the pieces start to fall together. It's got that whole semi-abstract shaft design in it's composition, making it a real puzzle piece in conjuction with the fact it started as collection of vocaloid songs. However, not only are the powers of the characters unique and interesting, I personally found the characters to be quite compelling and the mystery quite well-put together.

*Tensei Shittara Slime Datta Ken - Guy dies and becomes a slime in a fantasy world. One of the best isekai shows to come up as of late, according to public opinion, slime offers a mixture of just about everything from action to slice of life to politics, drama to comedy, etc... It has great animation and artwork, decent music and a pretty colorful cast.

*To be Hero - Whacky superhero action. Shorter episodes than a regular anime, a bit fo character development, but also said to be a parody of a parody. Specifically, from what I hear it's a one-punch man parody.

*Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid - It'll probably be better if one actually watches the rest of of this science fantasy mahou shoujo series first, but the story is independent enough that it can very well be watched as it's own thing. MSLNV, despite being a mahou shoujo show, contains all the trace elements of shounen and very little of what one would normally call magical girl, as it is focuses on magic/martial arts tournament and competitors in that tournamenent.

Honorable Mentions:

Punch Line

Nanatsu no Taizai

Overlord

Owari no Seraph

Darker than Black

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

Trickster: Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori

Grimms Notes the Animation

Star Recommendations:

*Re:creators - Putting this one first cause it's my favorite anime, filled with great and diverse action that plays well on the elements of the setting, very meta and full of unique ideas, as well as an exploration of themes on writing. It does have a few pacing issues however, in the beginning anyway, but the writing, art and music are all exceptional.

*Fate/Zero - One of the most renowned installments of the fate franchise, this anime leans quite a bit on the darker side of what it has to offer, but with all the awesomeness of superpowered historical and mythological figures duking it out alongside magic partners, and way this particular show explores it's themes and characters makes it so it

*Ansatsu Kyoushitsu - Assassination classroom is a show about an octopus monster that can move at mach speed threatening to blow up the planet unless he is allowed to become a teacher for a certain class, which in turn is tasked with killing him so that he can't destroy the Earth. From that description alone it should become apperant that there is plenty of action and plenty of whackiness to this series. Furthermore, despite it's large cast there is a considerable amount of focus and development to each element, with the plot being quite skillfully woven alongside that development, being independent but also matching the story beats needed to give just about everything the right timing. If you watch this one, I must really insit that you check both seasons for the complete story.

*Fullmetal Alchemist - Whether the classic or brotherhood, this anime has shone as one of the best examples of what anime has to offer for many. The power of alchemy gives rise to a whole host of potential for creative action and it is far from restricted in location, thus allowing for a large adventure aspect. One of the best fits for what you asked me.

*Mekaku City Actors - Another show that is hard to describe because spoilers, but also in this case because it's a very confusing show until the pieces start to fall together. It's got that whole semi-abstract shaft design in it's composition, making it a real puzzle piece in conjuction with the fact it started as collection of vocaloid songs. However, not only are the powers of the characters unique and interesting, I personally found the characters to be quite compelling and the mystery quite well-put together.

*Tensei Shittara Slime Datta Ken - Guy dies and becomes a slime in a fantasy world. One of the best isekai shows to come up as of late, according to public opinion, slime offers a mixture of just about everything from action to slice of life to politics, drama to comedy, etc... It has great animation and artwork, decent music and a pretty colorful cast.

*To be Hero - Whacky superhero action. Shorter episodes than a regular anime, a bit fo character development, but also said to be a parody of a parody. Specifically, from what I hear it's a one-punch man parody.

*Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid - It'll probably be better if one actually watches the rest of of this science fantasy mahou shoujo series first, but the story is independent enough that it can very well be watched as it's own thing. MSLNV, despite being a mahou shoujo show, contains all the trace elements of shounen and very little of what one would normally call magical girl, as it is focuses on magic/martial arts tournament and competitors in that tournamenent.

Honorable Mentions:

Punch Line

Nanatsu no Taizai

Overlord

Owari no Seraph

Darker than Black

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

Grimms Notes the Animation
Cool! I'm gonna have to look those up. I've heard of some of them but not checked them out. The only ones I've seen are Assassination Classroom and Fullmetal Alchemist. Thank you!

Hmm I could use a suggestion or two from the recent anime.

Preferably finished.

Shounen definitely. Fantasy/action/adventure. Isekai, if it's something close to Log Horizon or Re Zero or Grimgar, with more serious tone.
I need a plot that will keep me invested and characters I can care about. And something that is serious but with comedic elements. Or comedy with serious elements. Bonus points if it's something (pseudo)historical or mythology-based. And I really like 'chinese fantasy' settings. Think along the lines of 'Juuni Kokuki' or 'Saiunkoku Monogatari'.
To give you some pointers, my favourite anime are Rurouni Kenshin, Slayers and Gintama.

Something recent, within the last 5-6 years, unless it's some very niche old anime that maybe wasn't talked about much. I watched a lot of anime classics, so no need to mention things like Fate/Stay Night or Gurren Lagann but I barely know anything from the last few years.
I'd prefer it to be without too much fanservice. Not that I dislike fanservice, healthy fanservice is good, but I don't like when it's the only point of anime without anything else to interest me.
Even though I stated I like action, I'm not opposed to more relaxed things if they have some fantasy/mythology elements (like Natsume Yuujinchou or Hoozuki no Reitetsu).
And if you can suggest something with crime/mystery along the lines of 'Majin Tantei Neuro Nogami' or 'Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru' would be great! Been a while I watched some crime-solving anime!
Now, you seem to have an interest in the chinese stuff, so I decided to include the chinese ones in my list here, so they weren't all necessarily chosen for fitting your criteria outside of that.
Also, due to the vagueness of the elements requested, I decided to focus more on the bonus point parts which weren't on the extreme end of the scale either way, and which otherwise fit your criteria well.

Star Recommendations:

*Mahoutsukai No Yome - This show is beautiful. That is one thing you'll absolutely notice about Ancient Magus's Bride. Everything is made in a way that really displays the beauty of the artwork, and there's a very ambient feel to the whole thing. There's a strong romance element to it as well, and perhaps more relevant to the topic at hand, the folklore-inspired world it takes place in not only is excellently crafted, it certainly does justice to those tales, making the story feel right at home among them.

*Grimms Notes the Animation - This one doesn't so much have mythology to it, but it does have fairy tales. It's about a "world" in which people are born with books of fate, a book which dictates the role their lives are meant to play out within the place they live in, their "story zone". So for instance, Alladin's book of fate would include the fact that they are to encounter the lamp. However, the protagonists carry with them blank books and travel between story worlds to fix "errors" so to speak.
The general premise is really what first attracted me to this show and the absolutely lovely design, artwork, music and voice acting, coupled with just how well-written the characters are made me stay. It does bank a lot on the material from the fairy tales, but as far as that goes they actually do a great job of exploring those tales and the characters in them.

*Noragami - A fairly well-known shown with a sizeable following, it is well-written and likes to explore it's themes and the main character, a god with little in the way of following and as it turns out, money. The spiritual/mythology element it has embbed into it and which is woven throughout the entire narrative is quite a sight to behold as well.

*Juuni Taisen - In place of global warfare, twelve people representing the chinese zodiac signs duke it out in a battle royale making use of their own specialties. Pretty much on the edgy side, but it can be a fun experience for if you have any interest in the battle royale genre, and with a very ...curious twist ending.

*Shoushin Shoujo Matoi - A magical girl show, but with "deities" of sorts (in this universe deities are ...well, I won't spoil it) who give them power. There is a distinct cultural inspiration to the powers and themes of these girls, which is why I think you might really like this one. It has action, humor, drama and a decent cast. It's one of my top recommendations, definitely.

*Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari - A lovely and heartwarming anime, simple and rural. There isn't much to describe about it, it's mellow and simple, but very relaxing and occasionally may pull your heart strings.

*Ling Qi (Spiritpact) - I want to preface this one by explaining that I actually dropped this show. Not because it seemed bad, because as soon as the yaoi elements started turning their head I realized that was probably not a show for me. That said it does fit all of your criteria in concept, potentially better than any of my other recommendations. I can't say it's one of my main recommendations since I haven't seen it nor heard much about it at all, but it does seem up your alley.

Honorable Mentions:

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

Overlord

Shiyan Pin Jiating

Etotama

Quanzhi Gaoshou

Kamisama Hajimemashita

Bonus:

*Gosick - Mostly putting it here since it is pretty much a crime-solving show. Picture if Sherlock Holmes was a blond loli, and you basically have this show.

I'll get in line as well!

1) Do you want something that is airing or something that is finished?
No preference. I like catching up each week for new shows, but I also enjoy binge watching.
I like fantasy-based and school romance animes. I've really enjoyed the new isekai shows. Tear-jerkers are a guilty pleasure of mine, as well.
I'm looking for titles that might be more mainstream that I've missed. I chase after obscure anime like Grisaia and Seitokai no Ichizon, but end up missing some of the more popular titles I might like.

Now, you seem to have an interest in the chinese stuff, so I decided to include the chinese ones in my list here, so they weren't all necessarily chosen for fitting your criteria outside of that.
Also, due to the vagueness of the elements requested, I decided to focus more on the bonus point parts which weren't on the extreme end of the scale either way, and which otherwise fit your criteria well.

Star Recommendations:

*Mahoutsukai No Yome - This show is beautiful. That is one thing you'll absolutely notice about Ancient Magus's Bride. Everything is made in a way that really displays the beauty of the artwork, and there's a very ambient feel to the whole thing. There's a strong romance element to it as well, and perhaps more relevant to the topic at hand, the folklore-inspired world it takes place in not only is excellently crafted, it certainly does justice to those tales, making the story feel right at home among them.

*Grimms Notes the Animation - This one doesn't so much have mythology to it, but it does have fairy tales. It's about a "world" in which people are born with books of fate, a book which dictates the role their lives are meant to play out within the place they live in, their "story zone". So for instance, Alladin's book of fate would include the fact that they are to encounter the lamp. However, the protagonists carry with them blank books and travel between story worlds to fix "errors" so to speak.
The general premise is really what first attracted me to this show and the absolutely lovely design, artwork, music and voice acting, coupled with just how well-written the characters are made me stay. It does bank a lot on the material from the fairy tales, but as far as that goes they actually do a great job of exploring those tales and the characters in them.

*Noragami - A fairly well-known shown with a sizeable following, it is well-written and likes to explore it's themes and the main character, a god with little in the way of following and as it turns out, money. The spiritual/mythology element it has embbed into it and which is woven throughout the entire narrative is quite a sight to behold as well.

*Juuni Taisen - In place of global warfare, twelve people representing the chinese zodiac signs duke it out in a battle royale making use of their own specialties. Pretty much on the edgy side, but it can be a fun experience for if you have any interest in the battle royale genre, and with a very ...curious twist ending.

*Shoushin Shoujo Matoi - A magical girl show, but with "deities" of sorts (in this universe deities are ...well, I won't spoil it) who give them power. There is a distinct cultural inspiration to the powers and themes of these girls, which is why I think you might really like this one. It has action, humor, drama and a decent cast. It's one of my top recommendations, definitely.

*Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari - A lovely and heartwarming anime, simple and rural. There isn't much to describe about it, it's mellow and simple, but very relaxing and occasionally may pull your heart strings.

*Ling Qi (Spiritpact) - I want to preface this one by explaining that I actually dropped this show. Not because it seemed bad, because as soon as the yaoi elements started turning their head I realized that was probably not a show for me. That said it does fit all of your criteria in concept, potentially better than any of my other recommendations. I can't say it's one of my main recommendations since I haven't seen it nor heard much about it at all, but it does seem up your alley.

Honorable Mentions:

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

Overlord

Shiyan Pin Jiating

Etotama

Quanzhi Gaoshou

Kamisama Hajimemashita

Bonus:

*Gosick - Mostly putting it here since it is pretty much a crime-solving show. Picture if Sherlock Holmes was a blond loli, and you basically have this show.

Excellent! Out of all your suggestions I only heard about three and haven't watched any of them. So I'll definitely check them out since all of them are new to me!

Yeah I know I put it rather vague but that's mostly because I was open to new stuff and didn't want to restrict it too much. Just listed some elements that are usually on top of my list of interests.
I think you did a great job picking those out! Thank you!

I'll get in line as well!

1) Do you want something that is airing or something that is finished?
No preference. I like catching up each week for new shows, but I also enjoy binge watching.
I like fantasy-based and school romance animes. I've really enjoyed the new isekai shows. Tear-jerkers are a guilty pleasure of mine, as well.
I'm looking for titles that might be more mainstream that I've missed. I chase after obscure anime like Grisaia and Seitokai no Ichizon, but end up missing some of the more popular titles I might like.
Since you want me to recommend you stuff you've missed, could you tell me what anime you've watched in the past uhm...three or four years? Just seasonal ones.

Since you want me to recommend you stuff you've missed, could you tell me what anime you've watched in the past uhm...three or four years? Just seasonal ones.
Konosuba, shield hero, slime, Domestic Girlfriend, Violet Evergarden, Hajimete no Gal, danmachi, all the -gatari stuff; I think those are the main ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back