• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Icewind Dale (Main)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

WlfSamurai

Maelstrom Engineer
Chapter 1: Ten-Towns

Speaker Duvessa Shane.pngA group of adventurers sit in a warm office complete with oak desk, bookshelves filled with ratty books, and a wolf’s pelt on the wall. Fire crackles in the fireplace where fresh logs have been added. Hot tea steams on the desk in front of the group. Several tidy stacks of paper and notes line the desk edges. Having traveled as far as the group had from Neverwinter through extreme weather, the room is a welcome reprieve and a good reminder that civilization does still exist this far north.

Speaker Duvessa Shane sits behind her desk, leaning forward with her hands folded on top. She is young, but there is a firm confidence about her. She forces a smile at the motley group in front of her, doing her best not to judge the strange faces as further portents of problems for Icewind Dale. Having already been introduced to the group, the Speaker takes a deep breath.

“Thank you for coming to see me,” she says in a genuine tone. “Lord Bertrand sent word that you were coming and we’re glad to have the help. As you probably know, this damned weather we’re having isn’t getting any better. In fact, it’s getting worse by the day, it seems. Roads are becoming difficult to travel. Towns are getting desperate—people are getting desperate. And desperation breeds trouble. Some new calamity befalls one of the towns everyday it seems—heck, I got cries for aid from half of Ten-Towns’ speakers on my desk!”

“A few tendays past the council of speakers agreed—a majority of the council, anyway—that these extraordinary times require extraordinary measures. Aid from people with special talents who can look out for all of Ten-Towns and not just the town they’re from. Someone who can help put out fires as they crop up—bad analogy, I guess, as we could use some warm fires these days—and maybe even figure out what’s going on with the terrible weather we have been having. Now, Ten-Towns aren’t exactly overflowing with gold, but we’re willing to offer each of you 10 gold pieces per tenday you stick around here and help out in any way you can, plus anything else you get paid along the way. Sound good?”

[Note: In the Forgotten Realms setting, a week is ten days long and is referred to as a tenday. There are three tendays per month and twelve months in a year.]

Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie Ilikepie Ilikepie noleraii noleraii The Dapper Mog The Dapper Mog Firelie Firelie

Last edited:
Gurwin is silent for a moment, then says, "Speaker Shane. First, I wish to thank you for the warmth of your fire. Compared to the frightful weather outside, this is a pleasant change. Now, is our directive to be to mostly deal with maintaining order, or is it also your desire to have us look into the weather issue? Either way, I can see a real need for having someone on hand to deal with trouble, and I cannot sit idly by while others are in need of my aid."

Kreor could still feel the lingering sensation of ever-moving frost impact him. He shook off stray snow that stayed on his person, brows furrowed and muttering irritatingly to himself, before truly enveloping the warmth. Or the other way round, really. It felt like the way the world should be inside— heated and cozy. It was made even better with the kindness that Speaker Shane had laid out for them, that made Kreor's sour mood lighten, even for a little while. He opted to sit by the edge, closest to the fire, as he simmered quietly into his tea. He'd almost forgotten that he was here for other reasons aside from not freezing anymore, but re-adjusted his stance and attention as needed.

But despite all the comforts the interior and their host had provided, there was no stopping the marred atmosphere that would seep into the room. She talked of desperation, tragedy in their region, and Kreor could only inwardly sigh. Compared to his home, it had still struck him whenever something truly disastrous or out of place would happen to settlements. He learned not to show it though, because at least this is what they were here for.

"I have to agree with Gurwin— is there anything that needs our immediate attention? As for the gold, I don't have any problems with it," Kreor spoke, but turned to the others to see if they had any qualms themselves. He didn't like to haggle, nor did he have the skills to, but if the rest wished to, he didn't stop them.

Mor'du twitches his ear as he thinks, then says, "I can work with the calling of helping to maintain order, but when it comes to the weather, I don't have any ideas on what could be done about it. If you have a target that I can stick a sword into, that's one thing. But the cold and wind?" He shakes his head. "I just don't know. But if there is a person behind it, that I can see myself doing something about."

Duvessa nods and holds up her hands. “Yes, I understand,” she says. “I’m thankful for any help you can bring the ten-towns, in all truth. I’m not sure the weather is something anyone can do anything about. But, if you’re looking for somewhere more concrete to start…” She rummages through one of her stacks of papers before pulling out a letter. “Yes here it is. This is a request from Termalaine. Arrived a few days ago—apparently some kobolds got into the gem mine there and the town militia aren’t doing much about it.” She hands the group a letter from Oarus Masthew, the Termalaine speaker, petitioning for help with the gem mine situation. “Seems about as good a place start as any. Like I said, I’m getting requests and messages all the time asking for help. if you’re looking for more to do, just come see me and I’m sure I can point you in the right direction.”

She takes a sip of her own tea and sighs as she puts the cup down. “Do you have any questions about Icewind Dale or Bryn Shander, for that matter? I didn’t even ask, how rude of me. Did you find a place to stay? Is there anything you need? I’m happy to help you in any way that I can.”

Strawberri fiddles with her sleeves unsure what to say since she is just an artist and has no idea what to do about these complex issues. Kobolds on the other hand is a much simpler problem to deal with and with the answer most likely involving violence. She takes a sip of the tea in front of her to warm her throat before speaking. "We have not yet found a place to stay since we made sure to go straight here when we arrived." Strawberri takes another sip of the tea as she begins thinking about what questions she should ask.

Fret had been thankful to get out of the cold. A small body that was generally frail to boot was not great in cold weather. Her cloak served to make her green skin and wild hair less apparent, but did little to shield her frame from the cold. The warmth of the building was wonderful, and filled her with a desire to sit by the fire and just read a book with a nice cup of hot tea. In fact, seeing that there were books here that didn't seem to be locked away, the young goblin grabbed one at random and chose a seat at random near the fire.

Her attention was torn from the work of fiction in her hands when she finally realized that the human woman in front of her was speaking. Feeling a little embarrassed at her lack of situational awareness, she put the book down and sipped her tea, listening to her speak. Then some of the others spoke up, most of which were much bigger than she was. This wasn't exactly uncommon for her, but it still always put her a bit on edge. Her eyes darted from person to person as they spoke, her large ears flippantly twitching with each spoken phrase.

"10 gold? I could buy so many books with that! But...the weather problem. Maybe it's magical? I don't think I know enough yet to do anything about weather. Kobolds, if we all work together we could handle. Right?" Fret spoke out at first with enthusiasm, then with some degree of curiosity and concern.

Then in regards to the kobold problem, a group of this size should probably be able to handle some kobolds, and she decided to address them directly in some attempt to develop some morale and to also gauge their confidence in their skills.

“Yes, of course,” Duvessa says, looking grave. “Your diligence speaks to your professionalism. Despite good sense to come here first, I wouldn’t want you have a difficult time securing a room for yourselves. I’d also hate for you to have to stay at out local tavern, The Northlook. It has some of the best ale in the Ten-Towns, but it’s always rowdy. Though, you might be able to hear more about the area there from the locals. If you do go, do be careful. The worst sort always end up there, I’m afraid.” She stops herself and takes a breath. “Regardless, we can’t have you staying there. Mara?”

At the Speaker’s call, a young-looking half-elven woman appears in the doorway from somewhere else in the Town Hall. Her clothes are plain, but her hair is golden and hangs in a two-foot braid over her shoulder. “Yes, Miss?” Mara asks.

“Can you get the key for the Gorunn house, please?”

“Yes, Miss,” Mara replies. “Right away.” After a few moments, Mara returns with an iron key. She hands it to the Speaker.

Duvessa hands they key to the group of adventurers. “There is a house just a few blocks North, across the street from Blackiron Blades, the smithy. It used to belong a dwarf named Nordak Gorunn. Unfortunately, his body was found frozen outside of town after a storm a few years ago. We use it for various town business, now. No one is using it right this minute. There are some old furnishings, but it should do the trick. You may borrow it for the time being. Well, as long as you’re working here in town and need a place to stay.”

The Speaker sits back in her chair again and takes another sip of tea. She smiles as she puts the cup down, then sits up. "Oh!" she says. "Here!" She picks up the book Fret had been reading a few minutes ago, reads the spine, nods to herself, and hands it to the goblin woman. "'History of the North, Volume One.' Can't go wrong there. It's yours. Keep it. Might as well know a little bit more about the area."

History of the North–The First Flowering:
"For millennia, gold elves dwelt in Illefarn (where Waterdeep now stands) and Eaerlann (along the River Shining). From their ornate forest cities, they traded with emerging human nations like Netheril and Illusk and repulsed the attacks of the goblin races. Meanwhile, dwarven clans united as the nation of Delzoun, named for the dwarf who forged the union. The nation, existing primarily underground, extended from the Ice Mountains to the Nether Mountains. Silver Moon Pass was its western border and the Narrow Sea its eastern shore. Orcs came from north of the Spine of the World but were turned back in great slaughter by the elves. To this day, this is the homeland and stronghold for orcs and similar races."

Mor'du offers up a slight bow, saying, "I am sure I can speak for everyone here when I say thank you for the use of the house. It is much appreciated."

Fret's orange-yellow eyes widen with glee as the book is handed to her. The speaker just gave this book to her for nothing, what a great start to this adventure. Somehow she doubted that it would remain as upbeat though.

"Thank you, Speaker Shane. This is a lovely gift! The house is neat too!" Fret said softly with a happy smile, flipping back to where she was in the book.

For now, she would let one of the big people take the lead and she would follow suit. No point in letting a chance to get a little more reading in go to waste.

Gurk smiles under his mask. At least we won't have to search for a place to stay. That's a bonus, at least. "Thank you, Speaker Shane."

Strawberri places her cup back down and then attempts to meet green eyes at the only other short person in the room's orange-yellow eyes in a show of confidence. "That's right Fret, those Kobolds are nothing that we can't handle." She glances over to the tallest woman of their group by a large margin since the warforged hadn't said anything so far in this meeting. "Hey Carrie, do you have anything you would like to say to Speaker Shane?" Strawberri is slightly annoyed with herself at the moment for being unable to think of any important questions to ask Speaker Shane.

Carrie

Wisps of red and orange danced across the warforged's cracked porcelain face. While the rest of the party had spent their time questioning the dutiful Speaker Shane, Carrie had much better things to do. The broken machine kneeled before the crackling fireplace staring with an uncanny intensity into the dancing display of red and orange. Slowly she had been inching ever so closer to the flame, so much so that the flames licked at her dainty porcelain imitation of a nose. Then, a voice called out her name, and the warforged turned to the small fairy that called on her. Soot sat on the tip of her nose aher singular pink lense stared into the other girl. A mechanism shrunk and grew on itself in Carrie's eye socket as it tried uselessly to focus in on the other girl. The taller girl slowly came to her feet, brushing off the tattered cloak that was affixed upon the automoton's shoulders.

"...Anything you would like to say to Speaker Shane?" The automoton mimicked, replaying a recording of Strawberri's voice. For as long as Carrie could remember, her voice tonal module was missing from her, meaning any speech she tried to make nothing more than garbled nonsense. As such, she had been making do with an archaic recording and playback system she had embedded in order to communicate, though to be frank it was hard to decipher at best and deeply concerning at worst. Carrie stood still a moment, then chained together a sentence. "Thank you, Speaker Shane... questions about... the Gorunn house." The automaton mimicked, makimg use of both the words of the party and the speaker herself, with each pause between phrases a distinct whirring and clicking noise from within the machine. "Questions about... the ten-towns." Carrie reached out and took the key from the speaker, holding the iron object gently in worn porcelain fingers. Town... People... Desperate... Trouble... everyone here..." Carrie trailed off, a troubled epression besetting her. Her inability to speak was so frustrating at times like these. She had so much to ask, but she lacked the ability to do it. Dejected, she slipped back behind the group, eye cast downward. She shrunk down slightly on herself, feeling rather foolish for speaking up now.

Fret looked to the pretty young woman that had addressed her, responding to her comment about the kobolds. She was a little shorter than Fret herself, which was impressive in some way. The goblin girl's smile remained as her attention briefly went to Strawberri, nodding her head as though she were reaffirming her notion or simply agreeing strongly.

What's more, the much taller and sadder looking machine lady spoke as well, her language coming through in broken and varied speech. It seemed like she could only mimic spoken phrases. Fret pondered on this for a moment, tapping a long nailed finger to her bottom lip.

"Hey, Carrie, remind me to compile a list of phrases for you, okay? I'll start with an easy one; Hi, my name is Carrie and I am awesome!"

Fret's great toothy smile revealed her pointed teeth, but also a genuine sense of jovial glee. She also spared a glance at the key, wondering what the house they would be staying in was like. Hopefully warm with a spot or two she could crawl into for privacy and safety.

The Speaker wears a polite smile and does her best to find a way to engage this strange automaton. It grate against her sensibilities to leave questions unanswered or to leave someone in need without helping.

“I’m sorry,” she finally settles as the best she can muster. “I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking. I can simply say that there is much that has been happening around Icewind Dale and the Ten-Towns’ area of influence.” She casts her eyes down and sighs. “The Council of Speakers has grown worried about these issues, large and small.” She looks up again, keeping her neck tall and her chin up. Very much looking the part of her office. “And at the heart of it, I would say, this oppressive weather. Icewind Dale has always been a tough place to live. Most come here to isolate from everything down South. But, this weather… this is something entirely different. And, unfortunately, when people don’t have answers, they create stories. Or cite superstitions. There is little to be done about such talk, but it only adds to the growing difficulty.”

Duvessa smooths her hair and clear her throat. “I’m sorry. I’ve gone on rambling yet again. I do hope you can find some enjoyable part of our life up here. And again, any small measure of help is a miracle these days. So, do what you can when you can and I will have all the gratitude in the world.”

The rest of the visit is cut short when Mara reappears and informs the Speaker she has new visitors. The Speaker bids the party a good evening and to let her know if they needed anything else.

Leaving Town Hall, the group finds the air nips at every inch of exposed skin. The later afternoon is clear, but a fell wind blows through the streets. The snow crunches crisply underfoot with each step.

Just thirty feet away or so in the plaza, the party can see another small group discussing their next move. They’re clearly adventurers themselves. Among them, what appears to be an eight foot tall man draped in leather armor, skins, and furs—a goliath—folds his arms over his large chest. His skin is a gray with symmetrical dark patches of skin. A greataxe hangs over his back like a toothpick. To his right, a female tiefling complete with red skin and dark horns around her head mumbles to herself and pulls her heavy cloak closer. Their companion, a female halfling, puts hare hands on her hips and sighs.

“I say we look for Oyaminartok,” the goliath man says in his deep voice. “She will know what curse has befallen Icewind Dale. I am certain of it!”

“You just want to test yourself against her,” argues the tiefling, “which is a bad idea on its own. Besides, how is hunting down a werebear going to get us paid? I knew we should have said yes to that wizard who wanted us to look for the Netherese ruin.”

The halfling blows a wisp of hair out of her eye. “If we can end this damnable winter, surely there’ll be some gold in it for us. I’m with Mokingo. I know a guide up in Targos who can help us search.”

Last edited:
Strawberri was glad that Carrie at least tried to speak to speak to Speaker Shane. She felt slightly annoyed about being rushed out of the office for the Speaker's next visitors, but it wasn't too bad since she didn't have any important to ask the Speaker at the moment.

The moment Strawberri got outside she moved her hands farther into her sleeves and started flying about a foot into the air to avoid getting her boots cold. Seeing the other group of adventurers was a bit of a surprise to Strawberri causing her to momentarily fall a couple of inches, but she quickly recovered and regained height above the ground. Logically it made sense that they weren't the only adventurers hired to solve this mysterious weather problem, but it's still a shock to run into another group so quickly. Strawberri is unsure if she should try speaking to them or not and decides to only talk to them if someone else in group speaks to them first.

While waiting for the rest of the group to decide to talk the other group or not, Strawberri removes her hands from her sleeves and in a seemly pointless use of magic casts the Druidcraft spell to see what the weather will be like for the next 24 hours at this location even though she full expects the result to be snowy.

Mor'du raises up an eyebrow at the comments of the other adventurers. "I wonder, if they know something about this unnatural cold that has been affecting everything lately." He walks on over and says, "Excuse me, but I am Mor'du. Forgive my interruption, but I couldn't help but hear that you were looking into the source of the overly cold weather. Is there something that you know about it? Perhaps we might be able to help to put an end to this."

Strawberri reaches with magic into the crisp afternoon climate. The feeling she receives back is ominous and oppressive. Through feeling alone, she can tell this evening and throughout the night, there will be heavy snow again.

When Mor'du speaks to the other adventuring group, the goliath snorts.

The halfling scoffs. “What are you all supposed to be? Competition? Geez, look at you all. Are they hiring from the circus now? Are they that desperate? And no, we don’t know anything about it yet. That’s why we want to talk to Oyaminartok. Don’t you dare follow us, or I swear—“ She shakes a finger at the party taking a few steps toward them.

Fret wasn't eager to be out in the cold, but she definitely was eager to get on with their newfound quest. There was a moment where her orange-yellow eyes were glued to Strawberri at the vision of her flying. She couldn't hide the jealousy in her eyes nor the small sense of wonder on her face. She hurriedly pulled out a small notebook and scribbled something down before throwing it back into her pack. Then, she noticed there was conversation happening nearby, and she again cursed how easily distracted she was. It seemed that these people were also adventurers. One of her comrades, Mor'du, spoke to the other group.

The response brought a scowl to her face, one of her pointed and jagged canines sticking out from between her lips.

"Don't you think it's silly to so needlessly insult a group of strangers?"

She questioned the halfling, a little more willing to speak up to someone that was closer to her size than the massive man beside her.

"You're clearly more experienced an adventurer than I am, but that doesn't give you the right to talk down to them."

Fret's scowl faltered a bit, exposing her uncertainty about what she was doing. She couldn't just let someone talk to her new friends like that. But the look of these people did make her a little uneasy.

The halfling woman folds her arms again. "Insult? You think that was an insult? Listen here, missy. If I want to insult you, you'll know it. I—"

"HEY!" a voice screams. Three stocky figures bundled in cold weather garb stumble toward the large group of adventurers, crossing the plaza. They have snowshoes slung over their backs and ice picks fastened to their belts, and two of them have thick beards. The third holds up a gloved hand and says, through a thick wool scarf in a raspy voice, "We need help, and you look capable. I'm Hruna, and these are my friends, Korux and Storn."

"What is it?" demands the halfling woman now turning toward them and rolling her eyes.

Hruna is taken aback, but nods. "Okay, yeah. Well, we're what's left of our company. We were tasked with delivering a sled of iron ingots to Bryn Shander. A yeti surprised us and killed a member of our group. The rest of us fled as the yeti tore Oobok limb from limb. Now we need someone to go back and get the sled for us. We can pay!"

"Yeah, no," replies the halfling woman.

"We have more important things to do," growls the goliath unfolding his arms and turning with the halfling and tiefling.

"Later," says the halfling woman with a salute. They stalk off down the street.

Gurk frowns behind his mask at the hostility of the other adventurers, glad that his mask hides his features. He looks over at the woman and asks, "Hruna, where is your sled now? We may be able to help you."

Hruna, confused, thinking the group was one whole, realizes her mistake.

"Oh, thank you!" she says. "Sorry, I thought you were with them for a moment there. Anyway, we can offer each of you a gemstone worth fifty gold pieces. And the friendship of the dwarves of lcewind Dale, which can also be a boon in these harsh times."

Next to her, Korux stands silent, his arms folded over his chest. Storn can't seem to stop looking into the sky. Like the other two, you can only see his eyes, but they're darting back and forth, as if he's looking for something above.

Hruna gives directions to the sled. She points the group in the direction of Kelvin's Cairn, northeast. She explains the sled is near the northern hill between Bryn Shander and Kelvin's Cairn on the west side.

"So, you'll go find it for us and bring it back?" she asks after explaining the directions.

Somewhere in this area:
1635916376941.png

Mor'du gives a chuckle. "No, we are not with those lovely individuals over there. As far as getting your sled, that is something that we should discuss amongst ourselves. Can you please give us a moment?"

When he is able to speak freely, he says, "I am thinking that getting this sled would be a good thing, and helping out the community is one of our mandates of the Speaker. Besides, I can't think that getting in on the good side of the community here in any way can be a bad thing."

Fret pondered on the exchange in front of her. The other adventuring party sure seemed rude. At least the people she was with seemed at least a little interested in being nice and helping people. Gurk, the masked big person themselves specifically answered the woman's request. Though Mor'du added on about having a short meeting to decide. The young goblin definitely appreciated seeing people willing to help someone in need. She flashed the woman, Hruna, a toothy smile, hoping she wouldn't find the goblin teeth too spooky before looking to Mor'du, whom was conferring with the group.

"I think helping the community is great! I know I sure would have appreciated if people were more helpful when i was in need. I say we help. How about you guys?"

Fret spoke with her usual enthusiasm, though slightly hushed because she had the impression they were trying to be a little more stealthy with their conversation. She tugged gently on Mor'du's massive arm in a hope that he would lean down so she could speak quietly to him. With how huge he was in comparison to her, it would probably take some effort. But, considering how he was talking, she trusted that he was the most trustworthy big person she's met lately.

"I'm more easily distracted than most, but that guy seems really concerned about the sky. Think he's mad at the weather?"

Fret's eyes narrowed slightly, feeling some unpleasant emotions towards the horrid weather of this place herself.

Strawberri was very disappointed in how rude the other adventuring group was treating them and the poor people who were attacked and had friends killed by yeti. Strawberri flies closer to the rest of the group so can discuss their current topic without the other group overhearing even though it likely won't matter since it seems that they are going to help. "I say we help them since it's the right thing to do and the friendship of the dwarves is offer we can't refuse. We need all the allies we can get if we want to solve this weather problem. Just don't expect me to do the heavy lifting on the way back with the shed." She makes a look at each of the taller members of the group as she says that last part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back