• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Icewind Dale | D&D 5th edition (CLOSED)

WlfSamurai

Maelstrom Engineer
Interest Thread Pic.pngIWD Map SS 2.pngNorth of the Spine of the World, Icewind Dale is a cold, harsh environment that few step foot in, let alone settle. Extreme climes can claim a man just as easily as the dangerous creatures that live in them. Yet, as with many harsh places in Faerûn, there are those that call Icewind Dale home. The Ten-Towns, each settled at different times by different groups long ago, are nestled in the expanse between the Spine of the World and the Reghed Glacier. The inhabitants of the Ten-Towns call Icewind Dale home.

Of late, however, the weather of Icewind Dale has grown worse and even more extreme. Frequent blizzards, frozen passes, blistering winds, and very little sunlight make the Dale an even more dangerous place than normal. Some speak of curses. Others whisper of the Gods’ wrath. Still others speak of leaving homes in the Dale for good. During the past two years, the weather has continued to get worse with little hope for a change.

Every town within the Ten-Towns has put out a call for aid. A call for adventurers. It is one of these calls from the town of Bryn Shanders that the adventurers of our story have answered:
Ten-Towns is in dire need of aid. Darkness and cold grips Icewind Dale. Ten-Towns need adventurers strong of arm and keen of mind, who are willing to help out as best they can. If that sounds like you, you are invited to meet with Speaker Duvessa Shane in Bryn Shander’s Town Hall on the 1st of the month. Minimum payment of 10 gp per tenday.

What does the future hold for these intrepid adventurers? What will become of Icewind Dale and the Ten-Towns?

Icewind Dale will be a D&D 5e game run in the Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden adventure. More game information:
  • Be kind to your fellow players
  • Be open to improv and building your characters into the setting
  • Looking for 4-6 players, new players welcome!
  • Looking for posts every day or two
  • I want to keep this campaign going to the end, so potentially a long commitment
  • Starting level 1 (you will quickly progress to level 3 and above)
  • This adventure will take you from level 1 to level 10—and potentially beyond
  • Any officially published D&D 5e materials for character options are allowed
  • Unearthed Arcana options will be considered, but must be reviewed and approved by me first
  • We will roll for stats: 4d6, drop lowest, arrange as you wish
I look forward to playing with you all!

Separate personal note:
I've been wanting to run this adventure for some time. I've always had a soft spot for Icewind Dale after playing the CRAP out of the isometric Infinity Engine games from the days of yore. I never had Baldur's Gate or its sequel. I never had Planescape Torment. Though, I wanted both of those games. But! I did have Icewind Dale and loved both 1 & 2. I still go back and play some from time to time.

I love the setting and look forward to see how you guys engage with it.

Last edited:
i'd love to try this ! though how long are thinking responses should be ? i could post every two days if it's a paragraph or two, but longer might take a bit more time.

Sure it could be fun. Pointless idea one is fairy undead warlock. The cute little character becoming the scariest thing around the moment combat starts sounds like a fun thing to play.

i'd love to try this ! though how long are thinking responses should be ? i could post every two days if it's a paragraph or two, but longer might take a bit more time.
Couple paragraphs is all I really ask. I have a hard time myself writing walls of text.

alright, great ! excited to see how this goes !

I'm thinking of something simple this time. Probably going to go with a fighter, depending on how well I roll.

if we're talking character ideas, i might go for a bard dancer/sword swallower or some sort of wizard

The idea of playing D&D in a text based format is interesting. I will keep an eye on this regardless of whether or not I play. How many players are you looking for?

The idea of playing D&D in a text based format is interesting. I will keep an eye on this regardless of whether or not I play. How many players are you looking for?
I have been on this site for a great many years, and I heartily love the Play by Post format. It does on occasion run a bit slow when you are waiting for a reply from another player who's schedule is different from your own, but there are many advantages. You can look back on past posts to see what was said weeks ago (or longer) which makes for a great storyteller tool to be able to pull on loose plot threads that the players overlooked/created with their actions.

Looking for 4-6. So, you'd be the 5th!

Yeah, I enjoy PbP. It does move slower, but does have a lot of other advantages, as Sherwood Sherwood said.

My players and my friends usually use a modified standard array, slightly boosted from the normal one. It's nice to keep things more uniform and to ensure everyone had a strong point and a weak point. Do you all prefer rolls?

My players and my friends usually use a modified standard array, slightly boosted from the normal one. It's nice to keep things more uniform and to ensure everyone had a strong point and a weak point. Do you all prefer rolls?
All I can answer for is myself, but sometimes the randomness of the dice can be fun to deal with.

Yeah, for this one I thought it might be fun to do the dice method. Let's see what we get. If we need to change it, we can. I'll keep an eye that no one is too low or too high.

So for stats, its four dice, take the top three?
Yes indeed!

Yeah, for this one I thought it might be fun to do the dice method. Let's see what we get. If we need to change it, we can. I'll keep an eye that no one is too low or too high.
Just as long as I can pull in the low score for my Cha; Gurk the Gross needs the low score for his ugly looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back