• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings ICE - A Litrpg Urban Fantasy

Azukai

Zuki
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Hello, my name is Zuki!
I'm not sure if this is a popular genre here on RPN, but I'm looking forward to seeing if there's any interest.
Overall, I did my best to provide as much information about the roleplay without spoiling anything I have planned for the major plotlines, but if something does not make sense, needs additional clarification, or you just have questions/comments, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Update: The Lore page is now complete, so definitely check out that page for the full breadth of information: Fantasy - ICE - A Litrpg Urban Fantasy: Lore

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Prologue

"Dr. Takumi, it is such an honor to have you sitting here today."

The live reporter was beaming with excitement as she turned to face the elderly man who sat in the chair adjacent to hers. Both of them were on the exclusive stage reserved for the special guests of the 28th Fall Game Showcase. Down on the general audience floor, the crowd erupted into cheers, some even opting to stand in ovation for the elderly man who waved their way. Unlike most of the other guests who arrived in neat business casual fashion, the man in question was dressed in a pair of weathered jeans, a tattered lab coat, and a casual black t-shirt with a generic logo plastered across it. His physical appearance, notably his messy shoulder length hair and wispy goatee, was also incredibly unkempt, while the deep bags under his eyes were enough to make anyone question if he had seen any sleep in the last year. Nonetheless, everyone in the audience continued their enthusiastic applause, up until they were silenced by the reporter's start to the interview.

"Once again, I must express what an absolute honor it is having you here today. I cannot even imagine how busy you and your team have been preparing for today's reveal, but I think I can speak on the behalf of all of us, that we are fucking excited to finally see what the years of patient waiting has had in store for us." With that, the reporter turned to face the audience to whom she bellowed a booming "Am I right?" through the mic. Immediately, cheers even louder than before filled the surrounding air and lasted for a full minute before they finally began to die back down.

Back on the stage, Dr. Takumi began to chuckle in response to the enthusiasm of the crowd. He used his right hand to flip several loose stands of his grey, wavy hair out of his eyes before beginning his response to the reporter. "Ah, but you give me much more praise than I deserve." The man had a notably thick, foreign accent that was standout compared to the usual accents from around the world. No one knew the man's true origins outside of his sudden appearance as lead developer and founder of the eccentric American tech company, Realm Industries. "But yes, it has been quite a chaotic year for Realm. After nearly a decade of trial and error, numerous failures, and near bankruptcy, we are finally able to show you the first, true technological advancement of the 21th century. Without further ado, let me welcome you to the future of technology and the future of modern gaming."

Dr. Takumi fell silent and immediately the screen behind him came to life. In an unbelievably realistic render, four lab-attired individuals were standing on a rather overgrown street that resembled none other than the very downtown district of Blue Springs. Similar to the condition of the street, the surrounding buildings and skyscrapers were also run down and overgrown by peculiar vegetation, but the most notable element in the stream were the creatures that stood in opposition to the lab members. Three mutated dog-like monsters with darkened, leathery skin and numerous red eyes covering the length of their bodies were busy growling at the lab members who immediately began their preparations for battle. One of the members immediately tapped a bracelet on his wrist, summoning a great-sword into his hands. With a powerful leap, he came crashing down in front of the monsters and with a bellowing roar attracted their attention onto himself. At his rear, the other three members also joined the combat with one of them firing a volley of arrows, another vanishing into the shadows, and the last casting a series of buffs through the staff in her hands.

On the screen, the visceral combat raged on, all while the audience stared in utter, silent awe--at least until the stream came to a sudden end and triggered vocal protests across the wave of viewers. Even the reporter joined in on protesting the premature end to the stream, though like the crowd, she too fell silent once the doctor began to act. A wide grin was plastered on his face as he rose from his chair and walked towards the edge of the stage. There, he began to speak in a booming tone while his arms stretched outwards towards the crowd.

"You must forgive me for ruining your fun, but I only intended to give but a taste of what is to come." Again, protests, albeit quieter ones, spread amongst the crowd, but the doctor remained unperturbed as he continued his announcement. "Everything you saw was live footage of actual gameplay, and yes, those testers were in fact standing in the game world, fighting against those monsters." Immediately the crowd fell silent as they began contemplating the meanings of his words.

"How is this possible you may ask? Well, again I only planned to give you but a taste of what is to come, but that isn't to say there aren't any opportunities to experience more. Starting now, an application has opened up on my company's website. For the next twenty four hours, anyone may apply to be a beta tester for my game. Once the applications are closed, there will be no further opportunities until later notice." Frantic shuffling began to occur throughout the crowd as everyone member of the audience reached for their phones and began furiously typing the address to Realm Industries. The grin on the doctor's face only grew as he watched the commotion occur.

"Only a handful of you will be chosen to participate. To all of you I wish you luck, but for some of you, I soon welcome you into the world of ICE."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Roleplay Expectations

• Classes, quests, skills, items and other elements found in games and the litrpg genre.
  • A flexible plotline that will adapt to the decisions made by the players.
  • A story that blends litrpg, supernatural, and urban fantasy elements.
  • Challenging scenarios that will help you grow your character's identities, define their moral compass, and potentially meet/brush up against death.

Rules & Player Expectations

1. Please be capable of writing at least two medium seized paragraphs per post. The more the merrier, but it is not required passed the baseline.
  2. Be capable of posting at least twice a week. This roleplay will often have multiple players working on a similar quest/plotline. Frequent lapses in posts will cause delays and hang-ups in moving the story forward. Naturally, life takes precedence over anything else, so just communicate in the OOC to anyone involved with your character if you will be absent for a bit!
  3. All rules of RPN apply.
  4. Please be respectful of all players.
  5. No god-modding or manipulating other player characters without their explicit permission.
  6. This rule applies only if you plan on joining the roleplay. But please do not assign yourself a class in your character sheet. Classes will be assigned during the opening sequence of the roleplay. Nonetheless, I am definitely open to suggestions if you have an idea for your character (There will be more information in the subsequent lore thread).

Sidenote: I would be looking for a co-gm at a later point in the roleplay, so if this is something you might be potentially interested in, let me know when you leave your comments.

For more information​

OOC: Fantasy - ICE - A Litrpg Urban Fantasy: OOC
Character Sheets: Fantasy - ICE - A Litrpg Urban Fantasy: Characters
Lore: Fantasy - ICE - A Litrpg Urban Fantasy: Lore

Last edited:
This looks really interesting.
Is there more you can say about the lore? Like what classes there are, how it works, etc.?

Since there is clearly enough interest already, I will be writing up a formal lore page tomorrow.
A lot of the upfront lore is going to have more information about ICE (the game), but here's some quick and dirty info:

My goal is to allow each character to grow into a class that makes sense for them--this will be determined through your own feedback OOC, as well as your character's personality and actions IC.

Up front, we are going to start with your standard basic classes: tank, fighter, mage, support, rogue, but over the course of the rp, you will have opportunities in the story to unlock/discover unique growth classes through....I'll just say "entities" for now. Skills will be determined via your classes or through items that you collect.

There will be a stat & leveling system. It isn't going to be used extensively for anything like dice rolls, but I do want to have one just for general power scaling purposes across the players, monsters, etc. This will help everyone be on the same page as to what one player with 10 str vs 50 str might be capable of.

As for the lore, I don't want to spoil too much. There will be a big reveal either really early in the rp or later on in the first arc (depending on player actions) that will set the stage for the mystery behind story, but here is a small synopsis that hopefully gives you a bit more to work with:

After being selected to beta-test a next generation RPG straight from media's dreams of virtual reality, a small group of global applicants find themselves venturing into a far more dangerous world than they could have ever anticipated. Why did the game world resemble a fantastical rendering of their own and more? Why was the combat and quests so damn difficult? How did it manage to still be so engaging and fun? And more importantly and incredibly concerningly, why did any lasting injuries sustain themselves upon returning to the real world?​
Clearly, there was more to ICE than it showed on its surface, and it's up the players to unravel the mystery and determine the fate of everything at stake...for both worlds that is.​

Last edited:
Tentatively interested! Whats the rules on faceclaims? Additionally, where will the OOC take place?

I also don’t mind being a co-gm down the line o/

Tentatively interested! Whats the rules on faceclaims? Additionally, where will the OOC take place?

I also don’t mind being a co-gm down the line o/
Ooc, sign ups, and lore will drop tomorrow!

I’m okay with face claims being used as references for appearance. I would like all characters to be original though.

The threads are up!
Please be aware that the information in the Lore page will be a WIP throughout the next day or two. I will be prioritizing the Game Manual section first. If you want to wait for more information, feel free, but if you know you are interested in joining the rp, then head over to the character sheets and get started!

OOC: Fantasy - ICE - A Litrpg Urban Fantasy: OOC
Character Sheets: Fantasy - ICE - A Litrpg Urban Fantasy: Characters
Lore: Fantasy - ICE - A Litrpg Urban Fantasy: Lore

Last edited:
As an update--there has been more than enough interest for the rp to kick off.

Currently, there are 3 character sheets.
The roleplay will officially kick off once we hit 8 characters or on Dec 4th--whichever happens first.

There may be some posts happening IC; however, these posts will be character building amongst accepted characters. This will have no direct impact on the main story or give any character advantages in levels.

Please note, there is currently no player cap for the roleplay, so anyone can continue making their character sheets even if we start!
The tutorial arc will be flexible for players who start after the official start date.

So if you are interested in joining, and need more time, don't worry about being behind!
Take your time and make some awesome characters.

Seems interesting. Are you still accepting?

Anything I need to do before hand, or am I good to read lore and CS?

Read the lore, and if you're still interested, then craft away on your character!

As I mentioned in the prior comment, we'll be starting whenever we reach 8 characters or Dec 4 rolls around--We now have 4 accepted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back