• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I Was Supposed To Become a Hero but Got Stuck in a Deadend Job Instead

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
"I really do need to go. I need to speak with the owner of the cafè and see to other preparations. I've never done much traveling so there's a lot I need." he looks to Yfirryn, "I don't mind it if you'd like to walk me out, but you don't feel like you have to. " He says giving a wave and a smile to the others before heading out. Jayce hadn't noticed the blush as he was speaking to the others.

"Thank you for indulging me, Aenera." Jax says with a slow smile, after leaning back to pop their back briefly. "This should be fun, right?" They ask, tilting their head to the side as they look at Jayce. "We'll see you soon, bud. We can all walk you out, if you want?" They also do not see the blush on Yrfirryn's face, or they probably would not have offered to walk Jayce to his means of transportation.

Aenera waved goodbye to Jayce as he walked out.

Yfirryn giggled with excitement and walked out with Jayce. On the way to Jayce's vehicle, Yfirryn asked: "I must asked you can I be your friend? I don't know people from outside Vyyzantfyr else than the governor. So it would be nice if I had a friend who could show me the ropes of the outside world. I am afraid Aenera might hold me too short when on the journey."

Meanwhile, Aenera said to Jax: "Should we get something sweet or a drink before we go pester the mage? They have frozen yoghurt in town."

"Of course we're friends, that's a dumb question" He says with a laugh and a friendly smile. After a moment his tone gets a bit more serious, "The rest of the world is dangerous. honestly keeping you close to her is the best way she can keep you safe. Others will try to take advantage of your lack of knowledge and could even harm you. Though I guess the only way for you to learn is to experience it a little." Jayce keeps a steady pace through saying this, "of course there's only so much either me or your sister can do to keep you safe out there." He turns his head slightly to look to Yfirryn, "not that you aren't capable of defending yourself, there's just too much you've yet to learn due to being held here for your whole life." His tone brightens up some, "we'll get to see, learn and do a lot, I'm really hoping I can manage to get permission."

"Oh I love frozen yogurt. It's so good. My favorite flavor is probably vanilla, though, because I'm terribly basic. What's your favorite flavor though, Aenera?" They ask with a grin, finally relaxing a little bit over the thought of something familiar.

Yfirryn frowned when Jayce sort of agreed with Aenera's protectiveness. But then he sort of agreed that he had yet to experience the world and there may be dangers out there where Yfirryn could be taken advantage of. "Well anyways, I will see you in a couple days and we can maybe see what we can do then." Yfirryn said.

"I like yuzu flavor frozen yoghurt. Melon is also nice." Aenera answered Jax. They arrived over where frozen yoghurt was served. The place had three flavors: Vanilla, Green Melon and Fireberry. "I guess they have what we like." Aenera said. She spotted the mage she needed to seek out anyways and asked him if he could put on a fireworks show for her and Jax while they ate frozen yoghurt. The mage nodded and then waited for both to get their frozen yoghurts.

(I think after next post we can do a time skip.)

Jayce nods. After a short pause and an almost defeated sigh, "you'll unerstand the kind of evil that is out there one day." As they eventually reach the vehicle, "yea, we'll see in a few days. I should be prepared by then if all goes well. Farewell for now, Yfirryn." He says with a friendly smile and nod as he unlocks the door to the auto and enters the car preparing to take his leave.

(Time skip sounds good)

Last edited:
"Good thing they had our flavors, I suppose... I would've eaten whatever, though. Thank you Aenera." Jax says with a smile, and takes their frozen yogurt with delicate fingers and a nod of appreciation towards the frozen yogurt seller. They would attempt to tip, but as they're not entirely sure as to the custom of that in this place, they keep their money to themself. "You know, this whole atmosphere is almost making me sentimental. I'm glad you're my friend, Aenera."

(Time skip sounds fine!)

(Gonna write until return to Quarrytown)

Yfirryn waved goodbye to Jayce as he left and returned to the city. Meanwhile, Aenera and Jax had gotten their frozen yoghurt and were ready for the firework show. Jax voiced their appreciation that Aenera was their friend. Aenera smiled and said: "I am happy you are my friend too." The mage then began to make the fireworks. The fireworks were in any color imaginable. Some of the fireworks were rainbow colored. It was amazing and the other people in the city enjoyed it too.

Once the fireworks were over, Aenera said to Jax: "I am tired now. Let's hit the sheets and then tomorrow we can sell the wyvern parts we harvested and get back to Quarrytown to get ready for the trip." Back at Aenera's family's home, Jax was assigned to a guest bed and Aenera went to bed too. Aenera was excited. While Aenera was sleeping, Yfirryn peeked into the room. Seeing the blanket was barely covering Aenera, he tucked her in. In her sleep, Aenera said: "Yfirryn, that's creepy." Yfirryn sighed and left the room.

The next morning, Aenera got up. She looked to see if Ursula had sobered up yet, but she found an empty bed where Ursula had slept in. Aenera asked her parents where Ursula was. They told her that something important came up and she had to leave and the it was uncertain how long she would be gone. Maybe for days, maybe indefinitely. Aenera frowned and said: "It feels unlike her. I guess we might be only four people on our trip now."

Aenera got ready, putting on a sleeveless top, short overalls with a green camo pattern and a thin black collar. Yfirryn was already waiting downstairs with breakfast already made. Aenera looked a him. He wore the same clothes as yesterday. "Is that the only set of clothes you have? Did you at least wash them?" Aenera asked. Yfirryn answered: "This is what I always wear. I have a cloak for winter and a priest garb for priest duties. Mother washed my clothes this morning." "When we get to Quarrytown, we will have to get you clothes so that you aren't walking around in the same clothes for weeks." Aenera said.

Soon after Jax came down and they ate. After getting their stuff together, some of the family members help carry the wyvern parts to Aenera's auto and loaded them into the back. They said goodbye and Jax, Aenera and Yfirryn were on their way to Quarrytown. However they had to stop after ten minutes because Yfirryn felt sick, because he wasn't used to riding in such a fast vehicle. Once they got back on the road, Yfirryn began to get used to it.

On the way, Yfirryn was amazed by the landscapes. Once out of the mountain, he saw a seemingly endless steppe, then he saw hills and forests and then the swamp of the Rim. First they had to sell the wyvern parts and relatively quickly found a buyer. The buyer was a wealthy elf who said that he knew craftmen who could process the materials and sell them to wealthy buyers. Aenera and Jax made a hefty sum from the parts. After giving Jax their part, Aenera noticed the profit was four or five time of what she normally could save up in a year from her previous employment as a clerk.

Aenera dropped off Jax at their place and said: "I'd say use two or three days to prepare. If you need anything, you got my number for my commu. Now I am going to take this guy to my place for lunch and get him some clothes this afternoon. If you want to join us in regards to shopping, you can. Maybe we can visit Jayce's workplace afterwards and see if he's there." Aenera waved goodbye to Jax and drove home.

Once there, Yfirryn was fascinated with the architecture of the building. "Wow it is part underground and there are so many people living here. They cant possibly all be related to each other." Yfirryn said. Aenera then replied: "Nope. This is communal living. We share the building and everyone has their own room. We share the baths, sauna, restrooms and kitchen though. Come lets have something to eat. I will treat you to some Fiordanfeller salamander curry." Luckily for them, Aenera didn't need to make it from scratch as someone already had prepared some curry.

Aenera grabbed two places full of curry with a side of rice and gave Yfirryn his portion and a fork to eat it. Yfirryn ate a bite and immediately asked for something to drink: "Its spishy. Pleash shomshing to drink." Aenera placed a yoghurt drink on the table for Yfirryn. "This will fight the spice better than water." She said. Yfirryn seemed to be doing better after drinking and said: "It's delicious, but very spicy."

A dwarf male and a human male came over to their table with grins on their faces. "Aenera! I didn't know you had a younger sister!" The dwarf said. "She looks just like you!" The human male said. Yfirryn tilted his head in confusion. Aenera then said: "You are mistaken. He is my younger brother." The jaws of the two men dropped. "Really?" The human male said. Aenera then said: "Trust me. My family is like that. My other brothers are just as handsome. This one just tends to be a little more effeminate. His name is Yfirryn." "Well we are pleased to meet you, Yfirryn." The men said. They then backed out of the dining area to let Aenera and Yfirryn finish lunch.

After lunch, Aenera went to show Yfirryn her room and where he'd be sleeping until they went on their trip. Aenera then stowed away her luggage and took Yfirryn to the Quarrytown mall so they could go shop for clothes for Yfirryn.

Jayce woke up that morning, having talked to his boss and a making a few other calls the previous night, prepared for his last day of work for a while. He thought it was a bit surreal that the boss was not even the least bit upset, but actually happy for him. Aside from having to speak to some co-workers, it was easy to have extended time off. He also set an arrangement with his landlord for his absence. Everything he thought he would need for the trip is packed and ready. After breakfast Jayce left for work.

He pulled up the the cafė, A Moment of Respite. He took his position, making drinks, taking orders and such. Jayce had an extra bounce to his step due to the excitement he had for the trip.

Jax spent their day making a lot of phone calls. While not necessarily high up in their job, they do help keep things running smoothly and to take an extended vacation they need to get their affairs in order. Thankfully, their boss seemed relatively understanding, while also not really seeming to care what they do down in archives. It's a weird sort of lonely existence, their life. They really need to get out more. Well, this is one way to do it, they suppose. They spend the rest of their day at work, sweating in the dimmer than it should be light of the office, before going home and collapsing into bed. They check their phone for messages from their friends, while scrolling through barren social media.

Aenera took Yfirryn to the mall. All the buildings and the architecture were new to Yfirryn. He didn't even know of stores like this. In Vyyzantfyr, families usually made clothes for each other or a special tailor made clothing in turn for a favor, product or service. Aenera took out her commu and made a selfie with Yfirryn. "See I made a picture of us." Aenera said to Yfirryn. Yfirryn was astonished with the ease Aenera had to make a picture. "Back at home it would usually take a mage with understanding of the old tech to make a picture like this." Yfirryn said. Aenera then answered: "Well this is a commu using manatech. It makes it really easy to communicate with other people over large distances and make pictures among other things."

Aenera then captioned the picture with "Taking my little brother out shopping for clothes." and posted it on social media. She then went into the mall and to the clothing department with Yfirryn. In the men's department, Yfirryn didn't like the selection except for two t-shirts. "Where do you get your clothes, Aenera?" Yfirryn asked his sister. Aenera then answered: "Mostly from the women's department." Aenera got the gist of what Yfirryn wanted and it was futile to try to convince him otherwise or expect him to be mistaken less for a woman even with more masculine clothes on.

"I like the kind of stuff you wear." Yfirryn said. Aenera then replied: "Are you just saying that because you look up to me or because you actually think my clothes are nice." Yfirryn then laughed nervously and said: "Well, both, I guess." Aenera sighed and led him to the women's department, where Yfirryn didn't know where to start. He picked out two pairs of shorts, a short skirt, a couple blouses and tops, short overalls, even some dresses and pyjama. When he tried them on, Aenera admittedly found the clothes cute and were eerily fitting for Yfirryn. In the end, they bought plenty of clothes for Yfirryn, most of them feminine with Yfirryn wearing the short overalls with a t-shirt as they left the mall.

Next Aenera thought they should visit Jayce at his workplace wherever it was. It however didn't take long for Aenera to find the cafe though. It was rather luck she found it. Coming into the cafe with Yfirryn in tow, Aenera said: "One iced coffee and a chocolate frappe please!"

Jayce's smile widens upon seeing them, "coming right up!" Jayce begins making the requested beverages. After a few moments he brings them the beverages, "here you go, one iced coffee and one chocolate frappe." Jayce glances around to see if any customers wwere in need of service, seeing none he decides to take a moment to chat, "what have you two been up to today? anythhing good?" A Moment of Respite has a fairly soothing atmosphere, the several other patrons are either chatting or occupying themselves in some way. It wwas far from a fancy establishment but definitely held a level of class. The name was indeed well picked.

Jax sees Aenera's post with Yfirryn shortly after she posts it, and Jax smiles down at their phone. They quickly like the photo, laying back on their bed and holding their phone above their face. They open up their DMs with Aenera, smiling again at the last meme sent. An old one, but a good one. With quick fingers, they type out, "Goin out w/ the bro huh? I'm off for 2day, wanna meet up?" and sent the message with a thumb press.

Aenera was happy to see Jayce's face and Jayce seemed happy to see them. Upon her request, Jayce made the drinks. "Thank you." Aenera said delighted upon receiving the drinks. Jayce then inquired what they had been up to. "Not much. I showed Yfirryn my place and he had his first salamander curry. It was a bit much for him but he managed to finish it. Afterwards we went shopping and I got Yfirryn some clothes. He picked them out." Aenera said. Yfirryn sitting across from Aenera was swinging his legs like a child with his feet barefoot. "Hey Jayce! Nice to see you." Yfirryn said with a smile.

"I am afraid Yfirryn may still act like a teenager despite already being in his 20s. You may have noticed. Which is why keeping an eye on him can be a chore." Aenera said to Jayce. Yfirryn gave Aenera a pouty face and said: "I am not immature. I can look out for myself." "For Quarrytown you are immature. It isn't as familial as Vyyzantfyr and you need to learn how things work here before I can take my eye off of you." Aenera said to Yfirryn.

At the point, Aenera commu pinged because of a message from Jax. She read their message and decided to make a picture capturing her, Yfirryn and Jayce on it. Aenera then sent the picture to Jax and wrote: "Me and Yfirryn decided to visit the cafe Jayce works at after shopping for clothes. You can come join us. If you walk, it should be only 20 minutes from your place."

"Yea, its nice to see you guys too." Jayce nods to Aenera, "yea, i can see it being difficult. There is alot stacked against him here." He turns to Yfirryn, "I understand you don't want to be treated like a child but what I said last night holds true. It might seem overbearing but it's necessary to keep you safe. You'll see soon enough how different this world is from your home, and at times...how dangerous." He tone got a bit dark near the end and his expression seemed to sadden until he was called for assitance by another customer, he completed the task and returned to the two with a happier expression.

Jax reads the message, shrugs, and gets off the bed, tugging on their shoes with quick, efficient movements. They tap the back of their shoes against the bed frame, a little tic that brings them luck (maybe) and then lean over and grab their keys off their cluttered desk, nudging aside a few things very carefully. They rub the back of their head, slightly mussing the hair there, and quietly leave their apartment, making sure to flip of their roommate's shut door as they go.

They step out of their apartment building and take a moment to breathe. It's a nice day.

"Do you have any cakes or brownies here? If it is something heavy, just a small piece, please." Aenera said to Jayce with a smile. "Anyways, once Jax comes, we can maybe discuss when we will leave for the capital and maybe see what other stuff with can plan. We got plenty of money out of the wyvern parts we harvested in the mountains near the old city, so money shouldn't be an issue. It will likely be only us four since Ursula seemed to have left on important business and her return is uncertain."

(Sorry, short post.)

"Yea, let me grab that for you." He heads into the back and about five minutes later returns with two slices of chocolate cake, not too big but not tiny either, with a half strawberry resting on top, "here you go, one for each of you." Jayce places the plates down with a smile.

After listening to the rest of what Aenera had to say he replies with, "sounds good, I have what I need prepared and I have gotten approval for an extended vacation. I've also squared things away with my landlord for a while so I'm good to leave whenever is convienient for you three." As they talk he is Wiping down surfaces behind the counter, paying attention but still wanting to get a bit done in the mean time.

Jax enters the cafe and looks around, looking vaguely annoyed before they spot their friends. Then, a smile blooms on their face and they make their way over to the group. "Hey, what is everybody talking about?" They ask, leaning on the counter next to Aenera, but not sitting down yet. They look to Jayce, seeming to think for a moment. "I think I'll order myself a coffee... If that's okay with you, Jayce?" They place their hands on their hips, gripping the flesh there tightly, making tiny massaging circles with their thumbs. Office work is hard on the hips.

Aenera and Yfirryn were delighted when Jayce brought them chocolate cake. "Thank you." Aenera said. Yfirryn immediately started eating the cake. Jayce then said that he had prepared everything and was ready to leave whenever. "Awesome. We just need to wait on Jax and see if they got everything done." Aenera said.

Then Jax entered the cafe. "Speaking of the devil..." Aenera said. Jax then asked what everybody was talking about. "We were waiting on you. Since we got plenty of money from the wyvern stuff, so money wont be an issue. Also we will only be four since Ursula seems to be missing and hasn't turned up. But I think everyone agrees on going to the capital first, right? I bought Yfirryn clothes and stuff for the trip. So we are prepared." Aenera answered.

"Coming right up." Jayce quickly puts together Jax's order and serves it up with a smile. He looks over to Aenera, " as long as there's a chance to experience new things and get stronger, I'll go where ever." He is excited to start, who knows what he could do, see or learn.

"It'll be the four of us? That sounds fine. I hope Ursula is okay, wherever she is." Jax says, taking a sip of their coffee and immediately burns their tongue. They make a face, cradling the cup in their hands and breathing in the steam. "The capital sounds fine. There will be many museums and sights to see. I'm excited, really."

"If you want to get stronger, you may find a teacher or instructional books in the capital. There might even be someone who can just give you some tips. I remember from my time in the capital that you could get virtually anything. Just don't brag too much about abilities. Someone might see it as a challenge, or as a threat." Aenera said in response to Jayce. Then responding to Jax: "There is a museum for everything and the most astonishing sights are possibly the royal palace, the council building, the old athenaeum (library), the arcane university building, the university tower or the central clock tower. There are also lots of fountains and cobblestone shopping streets."

Yfirryn looked confused and asked: "What is an athenaeum and cobblestone?" "An athenaeum is a large library, a place where books are stored. And cobblestone is a path made of cubic stones. If they are aligned right, it makes a nice looking path. If they are misaligned, they are a pain to walk on." Aenera answered.

She then turned back to the others. "So when should we set off? From my standpoint we can leave anytime. I just need to grab my and Yfirryn's things."

"I don't have too much longer on my shift, half an hour or so. I'll just need to change and I'm ready to go." Jayce explains, "honestly bragging isn't something I do..." He looks to Jax, "so I guess it depends when you are ready."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back