• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I Was Supposed To Become a Hero but Got Stuck in a Deadend Job Instead

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Ursula

Ursula eyes widen when she saw the feast on the table and slapped Aenera on the back playfully. Her cheeks were a bit red, probably due to the rimworlder she just drank before.

"Awww, Tommy. We came here to kill some pseudo drakes yet we end up having such a feast. Very thank you! I will rate this place a 5 stars!" Ursula said cheerfully before she took a random seat.

Jax looks around the house with barely contained wonder. As someone who grew up rather poor, they've never really been in a house with people as fancy as this. They grip the bottom of their shirt, grasping the fabric to cover up shaking hands. They slowly take a seat with their back to the wall, close to the exit. Then, they wait, fingers twisting their shirt up, their legs as close together as possible, shoulders hunched. They're out of their element here, and they know it. Their clothes and general regular demeanor are not appropriate for such a location.

Jayce bows in greeting, "thank you for having us." Jayce then sits down in an open seat, "your city is magnificent, I've thoroughly enjoyed my Visit here. Yfirryn was able to teach me quite a bit in my short time." Though never having been in quite such a formal situation he carries himself politely, but appears to be a bit nervous. His hands rest in his lap with his back straight.

Aenera saw Ursula was already enjoying herself and responded to her compliment: "Thank you. Usually it is a big thing around here when a first born comes back after a while and brings friends along. Only bigger occasions are weddings, funerals, coming of age festivities and celebrating a new matriarch. Likely in the future, when I become family matriarch, the neighborhood will hold week long festivities."

Aenera looked over towards Jax. Jax seemed to be visibly uncomfortable. She approached them and put her hand on their shoulder. "What's the matter? Relax. Do you have difficulties with social situations or strangers? Just tell me what's wrong." Aenera said to Jax worried about them.

Yfirryn responded to Jayce and said: "Thank you for the compliment and the nice words. If you need anything, just let me know."

Aenera's father then spoke up and said: "We commemorate this feast to our guests. Now tell me, how do you know my daughter and has she been doing well?"

Ursula

Ursula took the opportunity to feast herself on the foods and drinks. She has the thigh of a giant turkey on her right hand and a big glass of reddish liquid on her left hand. Seems like she already made herself at home.

"Don't worry big pops, your daughter is doing well!" Ursula answered the man's question. "She sells good pharmaeutical substance, I mean, medicine! I took it once and became a high wizard for an entire day!"

"And I can try to help you with something if you need it." He says with a nod as he partakes of the feast. He avoids alcohol due to needing to drive home. Since he doesn't know Aenera he stays silent, it reminds him he is only here because of coincidence and begins to feel like an intruder almost.

"I... I guess you could say I'm not used to comforts like this. Or families as big as this. It's kind of a lot." They say, smiling nervously at Aenera, and follow up with, "Don't worry about me. I'm sure I'll adjust. Eventually. Maybe." They look down at their hands, now folded carefully in their lap, as to not worry Aenera any longer, and squeeze their fingers together tightly. "Your family is lovely, though. They raised you well."

In regards to Ursula's comment, Aenera's father laughed full heartedly and said: "I knew that money she has been giving us couldn't have been from working at a store. But at least she doesn't sell that filth here." Soon Jayce began to eat too.

Jax then told Aenera that they had a little anxiety from the unknown situation and it put Aenera a little at ease. "Your family is lovely, though. They raised you well." They said. Aenera replied: "Thanks for the compliment. Usually the eldest has to learn to take the most responsibilities, especially when they are supposed to be the future matriarch of the family and are expected to represent the province in a way."

Aenera then sat down and her family followed suit. Someone then turned on a small ancient looking device and music began coming out of it. It had a pyramidal form and glowed dark blue around its edges. It was unlike the modern music arcanotronics from the rest of the nation. Aenera pointed at it and said: "It's old Vyyzantfyri technology. The quality of it is amazing for something made 1700 years ago. It is said that Queen Aenfya made it herself and that it is the prototype. It draws dark energy from another realm to play music and recordings."

She grabbed food. She chose heavily from lizard meats and steamed arcane herbs. "In other news, my probation ended yesterday and I wont have to deal with those pesky addicts of police officers anymore. I laced their supplies of crystal magic with the antidote to stop the addiction. I have found better ways to make money for myself and the family." Aenera said.

She turned to her friends. "Are you enjoying the food?"

Ursula

"Ehh, if you can cure addiction you should try curing my pachinko addiction then." Ursula spoke between chewing her food, showing crude eating mannerism but she did chew each bite for at least 33 times. "Can't stop pulling those levers once I inserted those damned tokens."

"Also, if you find another job does this mean you will leave Quarrytown, Aenera??"

Jayce sits silently eating. He was enjoying the foods he had never eaten previously. He felt he had nothing to contribute to the main conversation. He listened intently when things like magic or the old empire were discussed to learn more.

Jax quickly thanks Aenera before grabbing some food, following other people's lead. They load their plate up with food they've never seen before, suddenly starving. They dig in with gusto, barely tasting the food as they use it to fill their growling stomach. "Rather nice of you to cure their addiction, but who's to say they won't just get addicted again?"

Aenera chuckled and said: "I cannot cure your gambling addiction. Maybe with time I can cure your alcohol addiction though." She said to Ursula. Then Ursula seemed a little worried asking if Aenera was going to leave Quarrytown for another job. "Maybe, but I could work out something to still spend time in Quarrytown if I end up moving somewhere else. But most likely if I'd move away from Quarrytown, I'd probably live back here in the old city. They want me to be the rule... I mean mayor of the city, due to my er... abilities. I could help develop this place. There is a lot of potential. I could maybe even offer you a place here if you can help with the development." Aenera said optimistic that she could maybe help her friends even they were outsiders for this city.

Jax then complimented that curing the addiction was nice but that there might be ways that they get addicted again. "Don't worry about that, I made sure there weren't other suppliers of crystal magic in town." She said implying that she may have done something bad. "Let's just say the police have something to do again else than harassing a woman over substances and locking up petty thieves." "Oh my, did you help the police catch the other suppliers?" Aenera's mom said. Aenera said with a somewhat sinister grin: "What suppliers?"

"Anyways, friends. Where should our first destination be for our road trip? The capital or the beach? In the capital, I know lots of things to do and I just have to take care of something quickly in a ministry. The beach may be fun for hanging out and maybe some swimming," Aenera asked the others.

"I spent probably half my life in the capital and perfected my magical abilities there. I was an academy sorceress or wizard however you want to call it, but due to the incident, where I accidentally killed a high wizard, I am barred from working in the academy. But I could be provincial representative or represent Vyyzantfyr as it's official royal heir and may even call myself princess. It might provoke them, but they will take me more seriously than other people and I could bring a better future for my people and maybe even help the impoverished peoples of the nation like the forest elves or the southern goblins." Aenera said. She maybe sounded slightly full of herself, but it was a more promising future than selling drugs or some organic products in some store.

Ursula

"Compeling offer... but nope, thank you." Ursula refused Aenera's offer. "As much as I like calm environment. I prefer the burstling life of the city... It's in my family's blood probably." She then continued to gobble through the foods.

"Speaking about road trip. I actually want to go to Cybellia. They sell lots of good wares there. Guns, automatons, autos, you name it!" Ursula's eyes seems like glittering despite her half-drunk state when she talk about the moving city that was also known to be the center of technological development. "I will get some money after selling those wyvern parts so I want to buy somethings for myself, a jet-propeller for my food truck doesn't sounds bad."

"A jet-propeller..." Jax mutters to themself after Ursula's odd statement about getting one for her food truck, shuddering at the concept.

They look at Aenera for a long moment. "Development huh? I can't say I've ever worked in city development before, but if you move out of Quarrytown... I think I might like to follow you here. I'm a little tired of life there, after all, and it's beautiful out here." They shrug, taking a bite of their meal, before saying, "Out of the two options presented, going to the city could be more fun than the beach. I didn't pack any sunscreen, and I'll fry like an egg out there."

(If Jay wont read my messages to him despite him having been online after I wrote the message reminding him of Ace Creams post, I will just skip over him. I am not willing to let this roleplay die.)

Aenera smiled at the statements from her friends. "So you all want to go to the capital first? Great! It has been years since I have been there. Last time I was there was in court after I got kicked out of the academy. It will give me a chance to present myself in court and represent my people. But that is something I can do within a couple hours. I can show you so many things in the city. Maybe we can stay at a friends place or see if my old place is still standing or hasn't been auctioned off to someone else."

"Ursula, just don't blow all your money on alcohol. Invest it wisely like finding a better and cheaper alternative to alcohol or going from a food truck to a bistro like deal. You cannot always depend on your friends to bail you out on everything." Aenera said to Ursula. She then turned to Jax. "I am sure the people will be welcoming you to our midst. You are my friend and friends are like family here. And if you want to head to Quarreytown, it is only an hour away. If we get a highway connection built or a rail station then maybe the trip will only be 45 or 50 minutes. I just don't want to sell this place out to tourism. Maybe provide limited tourism and only allow tourists into the ancient city with permits. But anyways, in the capital there is a museum featuring the throne of the second tyrant and the history of the nation with its artifacts."

Jayce having gotten lost in thought tunes back into the conversation at hand, "Are you planning a trip? is it going to be a long one? Do you have many plans? Sorry I don't mean to be nosy. A trip just sounds like it'd be fun, I'm honestly a bit envious of you." Jayce place his utensils down, having had his fill and now more interested in the topic of conversation.

(sorry to hold you up guys, life kinda got in the way.)

Ursula

"Bistro? I'm not going to abandon my van. It is the first thing that I bought with my own money. It is my baby." Ursula rubbed her chin.

"But you're right about investing in things. Maybe a jet-propeller is not enough. I should modify my van and make it able to fly!! Eating inside a flying food truck will be a great experience! Food and tour service!" Ursula giggled at the thought of it as she stuffed more food into her mouth.

"You should join us too, Jay! The trip will be fun!"

"Is there even enough room within your food truck to have people eat inside it?" Jax asks before taking a bite out of their food, chewing slowly and thoughtfully. "That would be interesting... if you could make a truck fly, that is. I don't know if you can? I know it's easy to make small things hover but..." They shake their head, as if to dismiss their thoughts.

They then look to Aenera, saying, "I love museums. History has always been a passion of mine, but history doesn't pay the bills. I'm sure the capital is full of things to do, it's a rather big city, after all. We could find so many little cafes and restaurants, I bet."

"For me, any destination would be great. I finally get to leave this place and gather outside experience." Yfirryn said. Then the Manabrook matriarch said: "Aenera. If Yfirryn comes with you, make sure you keep a good eye on him. Not that he wanders off and goes missing." "Don't worry about that. If he goes missing, I should be able to track him and if someone kidnaps him, they will learn that I am the last person they will be messing with." Aenera said.

Aenera then replied replied to Jax: "In the old town, there are many boutiques, cafes and restaurants. A lot of them are far better than what you can get in Quarrytown. The booze from the capital isn't that good though. However some places have beers and ales from all over the nation. Maybe I can turn a good profit selling Vyyzantfyri brandy or other specialties since Vyyzantfyr is unknown to most outsiders and usually only politicians know of it and have been here."

Upon hearing Ursula wanting to make her van fly, Aenera frowned and said: "It is possible, however agencies are probably going to have a problem with it and put hurdles in your way. Have you considered maybe getting a trailer to live in and tow behind your truck or having your food truck made bigger through customization? I can maybe give you contact info on someone who does those things."

"Also Jay, you'd totally be welcome to come with us on our trip." Aenera said.

In that moment someone interrupted the feast by immediately coming through the bead curtain at the entrance after announcing themself. It was a man of non-Vyyzantfyri origin. He announced himself as "governor Eskan". Aenera heard there was a governor to represent the central government here, but had never met him before, yet immediately upon seeing the man, Aenera knew he looked familiar. Governor Eskan also seemed to have seen Aenera before, he just didn't know from where.

"Have we met before?" The governor asked. Aenera said: "Maybe. If you have been to the capital, I used to work for the academy before being expe... I mean leaving." The governor had to think. But soon, the memories came crashing down onto him. Both good and dreadfully bad memories. A memory of them meeting in a hallway and him thinking that she was beautiful. Memories of him casually trying to flirt with her. Witnessing a murder and her noticing him and signalling him to stay silent about it. A memory of her hands chained and her smiling at him during the trial.

A feeling of dread overcame the governor as he fell to his knees and had to throw up. Aenera immediately rushed over to him. She putting her hand on his shoulder immediately sent a shiver down his spine. "Are you okay? Do you need medical assistance?" Aenera said. With all the power he could muster up, the governor regained composure and said: "Sorry about that. I may have eaten something bad."

Being close to him, Aenera began to realize who the man was. "Farenor Eskan." Aenera muttered. The governor froze. Aenera remembered. He was at the time a student at a diplomat school. He is half human half elf but else than his tall stature, he appears more human than elf. He had the hots for Aenera and spoke out against her in the trial since he was the key witness, however he withheld some information to make her sentence lighter. "I forgive you." Aenera said. "I forgive you for interrupting our feast and I forgive you for the past. You did save me in a way."

The governor became confused. He expected her to lash out or give him an evil grin. Maybe she was just being like this because others are present. She could possibly easily kill him, like she did to that wizard. Aenera then whispered into the governor's ear: "If you still have the hots for me, I am still unwed. Just keep delivering your higher ups normal reports and maybe we can pick up where we left off." The governor blushed. On one side, she terrified him, but on the other side maybe if he stayed on her good side, nothing bad will happen and maybe he could have a relationship with her.

"I apologize for interrupting your event. I just wanted to stop by. I welcome you back to the city, Miss Manabrook." The governor said before bowing and taking his leave.

Last edited:
Jayce nods, "I'd really like to... ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a Hero that Travels the world, becoming stronger and helping others. When I became an adult I tried to find a group to travel with or some way to get out there. Unfortunately, most said my skill set was too narrow. I could stand toe to toe in sparring matches with the best but it just wasn't enough." He puts his hand to his chin, thinking for a moment. Looking to Aenera, "If I won't be a burden I can speak to the owner of the cafè and take a vacation or something. It should be easy enough." He can feel the excitement building, though is doing is best to contain it, anything can go wrong. Jayce knows he must wait until he knows for sure he can join them.

Jax smiles at Jayce, nodding along with his words. "Same here. Could never make it in the hero circles though. So I became an office worker instead. Just another cog in the machine. I can't speak for Aenera but I for one would love for you to come along with us."

Ursula seemed to have passed out from all the booze she drank. Two of Aenera's sisters carried Ursula upstairs and put her into a bed to sober up. "Seems that she went a little overboard today." Aenera remarked with a giggle.

Aenera then listened to Jayce and said: "Well sure. You wont be a burden. We can give you a couple days time to sort things out with your workplace and pack up. And maybe on the trip you can put your skills to good use if the situation calls for it. Maybe you can even expand your horizon and know of possibilities for further training to maybe be able to fulfill your dream after all." Aenera liked to keep hopes up, even for others.

Speaking after Jax, Aenera explained: "You have possibly heard of my situation already. So I don't have to repeat myself and bore you with my stories. But in short, I wanted to be an arcane researcher and ended up being a feared criminal. But anyways, it looks like everyone is almost done eating. Might be time for some entertainment. How about some music or maybe a mage can make some fireworks for us?"

Jayce nods, "Yfirryn offered to teach me some magic so that is one option right there." Jayce stands and gives a polite nod, "I should start my trip home to start preparations to join you, making calls and such." he pulls out a note pad scribbles his contact information down and offers it to Aenera, "in case you might need to contact me at before we meet again. thank you all again for allowing me to join you for this meal."

"Yeah I figured she'd go overboard today..." Jax remarks quietly, watching Ursula be carried out of the room, shaking their head solemnly.

"Fireworks, huh? I don't think I've seen those in a long time. Up close, I mean. We were always broke when I got older and then I never had the time or the funds to go to a show." They smile crookedly, standing up to stretch.

Aenera received the contact info from Jayce and said: "I hope you have a safe trip home. Here I will leave you my mobile number in case you need anything." She wrote down her number and gave it to him. "It was a pleasure to have you here." "Aww, you are leaving already?" Yfirryn said. He stood up and approached Jayce. Standing close, Yfirryn then said: "I guess if you are coming on the trip, we will see each other in a few days anyways. I would love to do something with you again."

Jax expressed they wanted to see some fireworks. Aenera then said: "I will then get to asked the mage I know to put on a show. Jayce are you staying for the fireworks or do you need to leave right now? If you need to leave right now, we can see you out before getting to fireworks."

Yfirryn said with somewhat of a blush on his face: "I can escort him to his carriage or whatever he used to get here." Turning to Jayce he continued: "If that is fine with you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back