• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I Was Supposed To Become a Hero but Got Stuck in a Deadend Job Instead (OOC/Lore)

Main
Here
Characters
Here

TanteRegenbogen

The Person formerly known as Anii ⚧
Setting: A modern era with motor vehicles and the like but with magic and multiple sentient species (humans, elves, dwarves, goblins). Melee weapons are still common but they are slowly being replaced by guns that run on magically charged crystals to enable use by people who have little to no mana ability. Strip malls and roadside stores all exist, even smaller malls aren't unheard of. The locality where the roleplay mostly takes place is called Quarrytown. It is named that way because it is built in a former quarry. The layout of the town is suburban and the road and houses go all the way down to the bottom of the quarry. While the poorer inhabitants aren't too poor, they usually live in "The Rim" which is basically a hilly wooded area outside of the quarry. The poorest of quarrytown usually live in longhouses that are partially underground just above the river in The Rim. There are usually ten to fourty people living in the longhouses with shared living quarters for up to eight people per room on futon type beds. People who live in the quarry however usually can afford their own homes with the richest living at the southern part of the quarry, furthest away from The Rim. Quarrytown has an upscale mall in it's southern part and a larger strip mall in the north between The Rim and the Quarry. Running past Quarrytown on an West-East axis is an expressway with the capital being about five hours to the west and the coast being an hour east. Quarrytown itself has about 120,000 inhabitants, the majority being humans and dwarves, with significant goblin and elf minorities. Most humans and elves live in the Quarry while most of the dwarves and goblins live in The Rim. Usually goblins don't get along well with elves but rather well with dwarves and humans get along best with dwarves and then elves, however aren't on too bad terms with goblins.

Plot: All of your life you aspired to become something great. You trained hard or went to an university and upon graduation you applied for a job as a monster hunter, a scholar of arcane arts or even for a position as an elite in the military, only to be turned down, because you are too young, too inexperienced or simply not needed. So instead you get stuck in a deadend job as a store clerk in Quarrytown paying off your student loans and drinking in the parking lot with your friends from work after the shift is over. You still aspire to something greater despite being in this stupid situation. Maybe you will find some action as a vigilante or have built a lab in a shack behind your home. There have been stories of wyverns not far from the Rim or unexplored ruins near Quarrytown. Or maybe you have found another way to make a side income.

Roleplay is mostly character driven and can go anywhere.

Species:

Humans: Humans are the dominant species in the east and the second most common in the country. They are known to be involved in bureaucracy and trade.

Elves: Elves are dominant in the west and are the third most common species in the country. Many of the other species don't have a high opinion of elves because they are said to be snobbish and smug. Elves are mosly found in arcane occupations and the arts. Physically they tend to be weaker than humans and about as tall, if not slightly taller. They have pointed ears and longer faces.

Dwarves: Dwarves are the most common species in the country and most dominant in the north. They are known to be humble and sympathetic. Their most common fields of work are craftsmanship and local politics as it is rather common to find a dwarven mayor, even in a town with a small number of dwarves. They tend to be only half as tall as humans and no more than two thirds the size of humans. However they have a stronger build.

Goblins: Goblins are mostly found in the south and are the least common species in the country. Their appearance is a bit friendlier than people claim them to be. They are greenish in skin, about as tall as dwarves and rather slim in build. They have pointed ears and lower fangs that are not always visible. Goblins are mostly found in jobs involving books or education and are rumored to be on average more intelligent than humans or dwarves, yet rather on par with elves. However goblins tend to be more down to earth than elves.

Items or words unique to the universe:

Crystal magic: A drug often sold on the streets of the Rim at night. A mildly addictive stimulant said to raise productivity, creativity and mana output. Overdoses are possible and lethal. Usually leading to either a heart attack or soul rot (deterioration of mental ability and the senses). Is said to be found mostly in powdered form and many police officers can be bribed with it.

Auto: Local slang for a car/automobile.

Commu: Local slang for a mobile phone (a communicator).

Mana charge: A crystal that can be charged with mana to power autos/cars, commus, home appliances, arcane devices and even weapons.

Quarrier Ale: The local ale brand. In Quarrytown it is dirt cheap and of average quality. More upscale brands are Dwarven Red, Highmills and Lloranfell.

Fiordanfeller salamander curry: The local delicacy named after the region.

Is this just going to be a general "town life" rp, or will there be some event type stuff to handle?

No, there can be action and character driving adventure. I am seeking to add a little crime into it. We can discuss possible subplots.

Will there be a starting post, are we waiting for some amount of players, or is it just free to start whenever?

Sorry I didn't realize there was an OOC thread! ;n; I'm ready, I just need to remember who I was trying to be XD

I think I will make an additional Lore thread with like world history or that forehead crystals are basically mana limiters because wizards fear the emergence of another super villain/wizard tyrant despite the last being over 1000 years ago. And all the types of magic that exist.

I mean I wouldn't mind having him join. I planned that that post was near the end of his shift anyway. I just wanted to make an introductory post, but didn't want to interfere with the scene you guys already had going. Would be a nice opportunity to show off his combat ability.

Maybe have your character go to the northern Fiordanfeller mountains for a solo hiking trip and just coincidentally coming across the others. Or go to the ancient city and meet my second character.

Well the northern mountains are like an one and a half hour drive from Quarreytown. The scene of the battle right now is about a 20 to 30 minute walk from the ruins of the old Vyyzantfyr capital that is built into the side of a mountain. If let's say your character doesn't have a car, maybe he has a motorbike or scooter to which it might just take a little longer than by car,

He would probably have a car. nothing fancy. I feel like given the situation having him go to where your second character. There'd be weird time issues if he just appeared where the hunt is happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back