• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I Was Fine Until You

(Hey, Sorry for me not replying much lately, Been busy the last few days and haven't been feeling great. So I might remain a bit inactive for a couple days! But we can skip to Arthur and Silas seeking out Kay if you'd like! )

So it seemed Caroline would be joining them. Atleast part ways. Caroline seemed to perk up at the idea. Smiling at her husband. Caroline then pointed out gently. "Silas's version of giving a tour of town is visiting each bar. " She didn't think her sibling should be left in charge of any tours! Her words cause Silas to let out a soft. "Hey! " But he didn't argue more. Probable knew her words were true. Caroline then began excitably. "Oh, There used to be this one tailor in town. I love her work. She makes the loveliest dresses! I'd l- " Though she trailed off a bit. frowning briefly in thought. She very much doubted Arthur would much want to visit a dress shop. He was a knight, Probable wanted to do more knightly things. She could shop with her ladies. So she thus began trying to think about places he might enjoy.

Caroline then began. "Or we could- ..... Theres uh..." Gosh, She was really drawing a blank. What would Arthur even enjoy doing? Knightly things seemed like a obvious answer. But this kingdom didn't exactly have many knights she could introduce him to! Well... They did have knights, Just none would probable compare to those at Arthur home. Except, Then a idea did come to mind. "Would you want to visit a local smith? " He could get himself a new weapon. Perhaps see the local designs as they might vary a bit from the weapons back home. Caroline didn't know much about weapons. Wasn't sure if any of the items would be even worth much to him. But she knew her home prided itself on beauty and he could get himself some sort of pretty trinket.

Silas listened curiously to this. Before smiling gently. "Caroline. I'm fairly certain Arthur will be happy going wherever you want to go. But.... Visiting a local smith isn't a bad idea. Probable best to go down the Ravens Anvil. for that kind of work. " Caroline was already wrinkling her nose at her brother. Huffing. "There? That place is so... Crude. Mr. Henric has fine work! I think...." That caused a soft scoff to come from Silas. who then waved his hand. "Henric is wonderful at doing jewelry. Not weapons. I seen a sword he make completely snap in half! " Silas then softened a bit. Informing her. "C'mon. Its not that far from that dress shop you like. We can shop for dresses. Then check out the smithy. "

(That‘s okay, hope you feel better soon)

Silas had already taken Arthur to one bar so he could cross that off the list of bars in the city to visit. Caroline did have an interesting suggestion though. He didn’t really frequent blacksmiths, although they did have ones visit the castle due to all the knights, but a lot of Arthur’s weapons had been presents. It might be nice to pick something out for himself, or if not at least get a souvenir. And oh, maybe he should get Silas a weapon so he could teach him self defence with it? Only like a knife or something. “That sounds like a good idea” Arthur agreed. “I should probably get some more fancy clothes anyway” he added, sure he had fancy clothes but not tons, most were more casual, and his ones from the other night were covered in Silas’ blood. It might be good to get clothes more in their custom and hopefully nice and warm too, they might have a cloak for him or something.

After breakfast was over, Arthur asked Silas to lead him to where Kay would be staying, not familiar enough with the castle himself to know where to look or familiar enough with slaves to know how they would be treated here. He needed to talk to Kay desperately. He had told Silas his plans of freeing the other man, although he had been a bit drunk at the time so maybe Silas hadn’t been sure if he’d go through with it. He needed to talk to Kay though, he’d been in Arthur’s…possession for way too long and he needed to do something about it. Whatever Kay chose to do with his freedom was up to him but Arthur hoped he’d stick around, he’d miss the man otherwise. He also hoped that Caroline wouldnt Be too upset with him, Kay had been a present after all, but she knew he was protective over slaves and with Arthur’s recent lack of free will via Morgan she might understand why he didn’t want control over someone else. Silas at least would understand more he figured. They might not agree on Slaves, in fact Kay had been the reason they’d fell out before Silas had left but he hoped that Silas wouldn’t stand in his way here.

Anyway, Arthur did manage to track Kay down and find somewhere to have a private chat. “Kay, first things first, I want to say I’m sorry” Arthur started, “for the way you’ve been treated in my care, for the pain, for me taking advantage of you and for taking so long to talk to you about this” Arthur knew that Kay had brushed off his apologies in the past but he still felt it was important to say. “I‘ve taken way too long to make this decision and the fact that it was ever a decision in the first place is horrendous. You came to me so long ago, the courage you must’ve had to ask me for your freedom and the audacity I had to deny you it. I had no right and i feel terrible about it, I was trying to protect you but it should never have been a question in the first place. How can I be against the idea of slaves if I have one myself, if I deny you freedom? I will forever regret saying no back then, but I can say yes now” he explained.

”I want you to be free“ he stated. “I can make you the same deal you asked for before, be my squire or apprentice or whatever, I can train you and help you out. Or, you can do something else. You can do what you want with your freedom, even if it’s far from here, I will miss you, but it’s not my place to stand in your way” He never should’ve said no in the first place. “I…I’m just really sorry Kay, I should’ve given you your freedom the day we met and there’s nothing I can do that will make up for that but I’ll try my best” he wanted to help Kay in any way he could. And oh.,,speaking of. “I do have one last request though. You have no obligation to say yes and your freedom is yours regardless but…I was hoping you might be able to talk to Rayner’s slaves, see if they have any…dirt on him” and that felt awkward to ask and almost silly, he knew it was dangerous trying to get blackmail on a king but: “it’s the only thing I can think of that might help protect Silas from his father” he admitted, and he knew Kay and Silas didn’t really get on so Kay had no real reason to help them but….Rayner was a bad man and regardless of how mean Silas could be, he didn’t deserve to be treated that way by Rayner.

Last edited:
Bump, hope you’re feeling a bit better. I’ve been feeling a bit worn out recently but just been busy I guess, also I changed my post a bit to jump more into it. I didn’t know if you wanted Silas to be there or not, it’s up to you.

(Really sorry for my late reply! Things just been rather hectic lately. )

Silas had been able to track Kay down for Arthur. But had chosen after to leave such matters to Arthur. Aware that his own presence could make things more... Uncomfortable. So, He'd soon left Arthur's side. As for Kay, Well, Silas had been right, He'd been given a room among the servants. Had actually been in the hallway when Arthur arrived. Idly chatting with a servant. Perhaps a good sign. Kay had certainly been rather out of it the last few months. His attention soon drawn towards the prince and when Arthur gestured for him to follow. He bid his goodbyes to the servant and trailed behind Arthur. A certain silence in the air as they walked. Eventually reaching a quiet location and Kay couldn't help the frown on his face.

Arthur was apologizing, Something he seemed to do a lot. No matter how much Kay brushed his worries off. He was ready to do that again. But then Arthur kept talking. And well... His next words certainly startled him and Kay, For a few moments seemed rather dumbfounded by Arthur's words. It was no doubt a lot to take in. Kay was quiet for a time. Half expecting himself to have heard such wrong. Or maybe for Arthur to change his mind. But that didn't seem to be the case. Swallowing. Kay then began. "I..." Before he then looked down. "I... Thank you..." He murmured quietly. What did he do now? Perhaps many would ponder things for longer. But Kay surprisingly seemed to have some idea of what he wanted. "I... I'd like to leave. " It was a short and simple answer. Maybe that wasn't what Arthur wanted to hear. Kay and him were sort of friends. But this... Kay didn't think he could stay here. Not when he had the option to leave. He had to go. Not that he felt he could explain his reasoning. This all felt like a lot.

Arthur had a last request though and Kay was willing to fulfill such. Frowning. Getting dirt from other slaves was not that difficult. But it was dangerous. Finally lifting his gaze to properly look at Arthur. He studied him for a moment. Before saying. "Are you sure? " Because Kay wasn't the only one at stake. The king would no doubt try and find a way to get even with Arthur. But he was no doubt already trying to find out things to use against the prince. So Kay then told Arthur. "I'll see what I can find out. But I can make no promises. " It depended on the slaves. If they were willing to let things slip or not. Such also would take time. Kay was willing to stick around long enough to help with such. But then he was gone.

(No worries, hopefully things calm down for you soon)

Arthur was nervous, he didn’t know why, anxious of how away would react. It’s not like he expected Kay to become someone else completely now he had his freedom, and even free people didn’t always speak their minds around royalty. Maybe he was nervous of Kay telling him off for taking so long, even though he deserved it. Kay was thinking him instead, which certainly wasn’t something he needed to do, Arthur should more likely be scolded for ever denying him it in the first place. No, Arthur figured he was more worried about what Kay would do with his freedom. He couldn’t help the disappointment that washed over him as Kay said he’d like to leave. It wasn’t that he didn’t understand; there were a lot of people here that knew Kay as a slave so it might be difficult to start his new life, Caroline might be harsh once she found out what Arthur had done, and of course, being around Caroline snd her ladies was probably a stark reminder of who and what he’d lost. It made sense to get away and have a fresh start, even if Arthur would’ve liked him to stay, to be his friend, he wouldn’t keep him from his freedom. He did his best not to look too upset but he was sure Kay could probably guess.

Arthur sighed as things only got more depressing. “Unless you have another idea of how to protect Silas from his father? I’m all ears” Arthur said. He didn’t know how much Kay knew on the matter, although he figured there was probably some gossip. “He’s not in a good state, Rayner flogged him until he almost fainted yesterday” he told Kay and there was something careful in Arthur’s tone, the Similarities to what had been done to Kay was still a lot for him and he didn’t want to upset Kay by bringing up what he imagined was a traumatic event, even if Kay had gone through it before. He also didn’t want a Kay thinking that was the only reason he was freeing him, although he guessed the reasons didn’t matter too much, and maybe it had put more urgency into him and it was about stopping himself from causing Kay any more harm, it was mostly about what was right. “I fear that Rayner may go too far one day and kill him, I don’t want to see that happen, but even more I dread that Silas will be alone when his father has had enough of him” he confessed softly. He wanted to look out for his friend and protect him from further harm and it’s be hard, maybe even impossible, but he had to try.

”before you go….” Arthur started, “I’d like to give you some money and whatever I can to help you out” he told Kay, mind going back to Kay’s freedom. “I want you to be happy. I’ll miss you, I don’t know if you feel the same but I think of you as a friend and I’ll be sad to see you go, but I understand and I hope we’ll meet again some day. You better come see me before you go though, so I can wish you well” Arthur insisted with a sad smile. He had never wanted a slavE but Kay was more than that snd he couldn’t help but think things would feel strange without him about.

Kay tilted his head to the side as he listened to Arthur. Surprise showing across his face the more Arthur spoke. That was a... Interesting piece of information. Kay seemed to think for a moment before saying. "I.. Think you have dirt on him right there. What he's doing to his son. " He pointed out. Many didn't like Silas though. Might simply see it as him disciplining his child. But Kay then said. "Silas's mothers family is certainly nobility? They'd cause a uproar if they found out. They might not care about Silas himself. But they likely still want there blood alive and well and seated on a throne. " Silas hadn't really talked much about his mothers family. It was possible they were residing in a different city or kingdom. Meaning getting word to them could be tricky. But they could possibly be a valuable ally.

Kay then shook his head. Telling Arthur. "But... I'll still see if I can find out anything on the king. " He promised. Before the topic seemed to return to his newfound freedom. Arthur was doing more then just freeing him. He was offering him coin to get himself started. Arthur no doubt had plenty and well... Kay had nothing. It was strange. These were words he had never thought he'd hear. Never thought anyone would offer such.

Without warning, Kay reached forward as to yank Arthur close to him. Wrapping his arms around him in a hug. Kay was a strong man, So Arthur might find it a bit difficult to resist his grip. He then promised Arthur. "I will... And even then, It won't be goodbye forever. I promise. " They'd meet again. Maybe not for some time. Kay needed to be away from this and everything. But... Arthur had done a lot for him and he'd return to visit one day.

Arthur was not convinced by Kay’s words; he’d like to think that the kingdom would be outraged at Rayner’s treatment of his son but this place had a different culture and Silas was not well liked, he imagined many people would think he deserved it. Rayner did a good job as presenting himself as a good king, even Silas admitted he was good for the people, he couldn’t imagine they’d turn on him over a prince they weren’t fond of. The guards here didn’t seem very sorry for Silas and were complicit in his abuse but he did also understand that when a king asked you to do something, it was dangerous and difficult to refuse. Besides, he wasn’t sure that Silas wanted more people to know about the Way his father was treating him, how it might change the way he was seen, it wasn’t Arthur’s choice to make but maybe he could talk to Silas about contacting the other half of his family; he must have grandparents or aunts and uncles right? He’d mentioned a cousin before, the one he’d said he’d slept with, although Arthur wasn’t sure on what side that was.

Maybe Kay made a good point, if they were to tell people, using Silas’ mother might be the way to go, although Arthur didn’t know how well liked she’d been, he imagined probably more than Silas himseof. Kay was still agreeing to try and find out other dirt though which was a relief. Maybe he’d get nothing but Arthur felt they needed to try. The problem was, Arthur hadn’t ever really blackmailed anyone before, big surprise, so if and when he got the information, he might struggle to use it, although He figured Ailss probably had more experience with these sorts of matters. Maybe that was rude to think that but Silas was a bit more of a shady character than himself.

The hug surprised Arthur but also pleased him. He’d wanted to hug Kay to br honest but worried it might be overstepping, he had been Kay’s master, his trapper, now that he was free he figured Kay might not pretend to like him. So this was nice and Arthur hugged him back, glad for the reassurance and the brief sense of comfort it gave him. Kay was strong and the hug showed it, he liked it. And Kay’s words were pleasant too. Arthur eventually pulled away and looked at him, smile a bit less sad now. “You always have a room back at the palace” he promised him, he’d do anything he could to help Kay out. ”I’ll look forward to seeing you again” it'd be nice to see the man Kay became with his freedom.

”I should be getting back to Silas” Arthur finally said, he knew the other prince wasnt in much state to do anything so Arthur wanted to keep an eye on him and help out. He turned to walk away but paused, glancing back at Kay curiously. “is It easy to separate your feelings from moments of passion” he asked out of the blue and realised how silly that sounded, causing himself to blush. “I….I get that as a slave it was duty to do certain things, that us sleeping together didn‘t have the same affect on you as a it did on me. I struggle to understand how someone can be casual with their physical affections and not become emotionally entangled” he confessed, which seemed like an odd thing to bring up now. “I just seem to be being pulled in many directions by my heart and I don’t know how to stop it” and maybe it was stupid asking Kay, it’s not like he’d know really, if he could stop feelings, wouldn’t he want to stop himself from feeling the sadness of the lady’s death? Arthur didn’t know who else to ask though, its not like it was wise to ask Silas, he was involved. Arthur did like the other prince but he knew it’d Be messy to get involved, but they’d kissed snd that really hadn’t helped Arthur keep him out of his head, not to mention they were sharing a bed and lot of times together because of his injury. He just needed some help to get his head straight because he also liked Vere and missed Ethan too.

The hug did not last very long, It was comforting. Perhaps confirmed that they were friends in the end. Nodding, Kay eventually released him and let Arthur go. Taking a step back as to put some distance between them as Arthur expressed his need to leave. and well, He was just about to bid Arthur farewell when Arthur further questioned him. Frowning for a moment, As if debating the best way to answer. But Kay was no longer a slave now, And thus was more willing to be honest with his responds. "I... Truthfully never have desired that kind of intimacy. With me and... Well, Us not doing anything wasn't to preserve her honor or anything. It was more my lack of desire for that. " He confessed. Intimacy had plenty of painful memories tied to it. It was a job. Something he did to please his master as to avoid punishment. For him it had no actual affection involved in it. Though the closeness could be nice at times. Kay preferred showing affection in other ways.

Kay then tilted his head at Arthur. Before saying. "Mm... I can see that. " Brief amusement in his tone. He'd see the way Arthur was with Vere, Seen how worried he was with Silas. Could guess something was there. Not to mention Ethan! But Kay probable shouldn't tease Arthur too much. So he then told Arthur. "Be honest. Talk to them. You're probable not the only one that is finding such feelings a mess. " Well, Silas might not be now that Kay thought about it. But Ethan probable still had unresolved emotions. And Vere? Well, Kay would be surprised if that kid knew what he was doing!

Truthfully, Kay had rarely felt romantic connection. The lady was one. And really, He'd only been smitten with like three other people in his life. So he might not relate to the feelings of being pulled in different directions. Still, Kay figured Arthur could use the help. "I don't think your the type for casual... Fun. So don't try for that kind of stuff. You'll only get yourself hurt. " He didn't think Arthur would be able to separate feelings from the act. Nor did he seem like he'd want too.

Kay was a good actor, he certainly knew how to pretend like he desired it. He guessed that he’d had to though, his well-being depended on it. Knowing that Kay didn’t really like that sort of stuff made him feel even worse about that day but he kept it to himself, Kay was probably sick of him apologising, even if Arthur thought he could never apologise enough for what he’d done to him. And Kay was even teasing Arthur. How transparent was he that Kay could see all this? Maybe he was just observant like Silas, could tell those sorts of things, or maybe Arthur really needed to get his act together.

Talk to them? He guessed that made sense but he wasn’t sure how eager he was for that. He didn’t want to freak Vere out and he’d already talked to Silas a bit and that hadn’t resolved too much, just revealed they were both fond of each other but hesitant. And Ethan? Oh….he couldn’t even begin to guess what he was feeling. Arthur couldn’t help but frown slightly as Kay mentioned casual fun. Arthur hadn't even thought about it really, was aware he couldn’t really see such an act without emotions, hence why he still had some feelings for Kay. He’d wanted to know how to separate feelings more so that he could control them, try to tamp down whatever was going on with Silas before it got out of control and made trouble between him and Caroline. But….maybe experiencing casual things would help him learn how to control such emotions. It was an interesting thought but Arthur wasn’t sure he wanted to go down that road.

”thanks for the advice” he murmured. “I’ll…..Ethan is away at the moment, I’ll try to talk to him when he gets back, and Vere….”he sighed, “it might be a bit awkward but I’ll see if I can have a chat with him” he agreed. He didn’t say anything about Silas but he was sure they’d be having another talk at some point seeing as they were going to be spending a lot of time together. “Ages ago, you warned me about Ethan” he said. “Said I should watch out for his type. What did you mean?” He asked, and maybe now it had been a while he could sort of guess, Ethan had been willing to kill someone to keep their relationship a secret, maybe that should’ve made Arthur end it, but he’d been blinded by his affection for him, and wrapped up in the whirlwind moment of it, discovering what it was like to actually be with someone. He didn’t mean to keep taking up Kay’s time but now that he knew he’d be leaving eventually, he felt like he had to clear some things up incase he never got the chance again. And yes he knew Kay wasn’t leaving this instant but he’d be too upset when Kay was actually leaving to ask him much of anything he figured. Arthur took a deep breath, debating on whether to say or not, but Kay knew a lot about him anyway so what was one more thing: “and Silas? Do you think I should watch out for him?” He knew Silas’ reputation but Silas had been sweet last night, supportive and he was often kind to Arthur when he needed it and just never thought something between him and Silas would be so gentle. He’d seen Silas and Ronan after all, they’d seem much more full on.

Arthur seemed willing to listen to him. Hopefully his advice would help him a bit. Thus Kay nodded his head. But Arthur was soon questioning him further. So, Kay considered the best way to answer. It took him sometime. Before he warned. "Men like him, Will do whatever it takes to survive. " He could see it in his eyes. But that wasn't all of what he ment. Kay then told him. "But, that wasn't what worried me. His features were. I worry who his family is. If they are who I think..." Kay then sheepishly smiled at Arthur. before he explained further. "I heard from a few slaves they weren't people you wanted owning you. They got skeletons in those closets. I don't know anymore details I'm afraid. And well... I might be wrong. We traveled with Ethan for a while and I didn't notice anything off about him. " The other slaves had after all only referred to the family and not exactly what they got up to. Even if Ethan was in the same family. He could simply be a distant cousin and out of the loop.

Arthur then was asking about Silas. So Kay frowned. "Do you think you should watch out for him? You know him far better then me. " He pointed out. Kay had not spend very long with him. But Arthur could probable still use the advice. So he then told Arthur. "I'm not sure, But from what I've seen of him... He seems like he... Like he's not very honest? " Kay didn't mean that in a bad way. Silas just wasn't like Arthur. He didn't seem to wear his feelings on his sleeve as much. Kay then shook his head. "But from what I can tell... I think he's just... Sad? " That was a easier emotion to tell. Kay had seen plenty of people attempting to hide there sadness. It at one point had been a common sight for him. Silas could come off as a bit of a brat. But he'd gone threw a lot and was certainly still grieving. Not to mention all this with his father.

Kay then shook his head and told Arthur. "Arthur, I think whatever you do has risks. I guess you need to just figure out if you think those risks are worth it. " Was pursuing something with Vere or even maybe Silas worth it? Affairs were risky and if such even got out... Not to mention there was little chance of things lasting with Silas. It likely would just be setting himself up for heartbreak.

Arthur didn’t know what Kay might say, was worried about what he might reveal in terms of Ethan. What did it matter though, they weren’t together anymore, Arthur had ruined that. He supposed it had become quite clear that Ethan could be extreme when it came to his own safety, willing to sacrifice others to save himself. He could understand the fear that Ethan had felt when he thought they might be outed, wantinf to stop himself from being arrested or worse, but Arthur found it difficult to purposely endanger others because of such a thing. He would rather pay for his deeds than have others hurt for them. But, Arthur did have the luxury of being a prince and thus was safer anyway. He frowned though as Kay mentioned something potentially darker. He wasn’t sure if Ethan’s family owned slaves, he’d caught a glimpse of his father and he hadn’t seemed….horrible Or anything but it’s not like he’d spoken to the man. He knew that Ethan’s parents were important people in servitude to the royal family so he supposed they could have slaves and obviously slaves were treated differently here than back home, but…it made him more only curious. Might be a bit awkward to bring up to Ethan but they’d see, he had other things to talk about with him first anyway.

As for Silas. Arthur knew that Silas hadn’t treated Kay the best although unfortunately he figured Kay was used to it. He couldn’t help but agree somewhat, Silas liked to use humour as a defence mechanism, he figured the other man struggled to be vulnerable with his emotions and it’s not like he was really close with many people. He was lonely. Kay was sensible. See this is why Arthur needed him to stick around, who was going to give him such good advice? He couldn’t talk to Caroline about this! He sighed. “I know” he murmured, “I just haven’t been making the best decisions lately, hopefully I can break that streak” He didn’t want to make such a costly mistake and ruin his friendships and his marriage and his life.

“Thanks for the advice” he said. “I’ll leave you be, but if you need anything just let me know” he insisted before going to let Kay enjoy his new found freedom. Arthur had to get back to keeping Silas company, and he should talk to Gawain too, inform him of what Rayner had said about Silas joining them if he wasn’t already aware. Maybe he could babysit Theo for him before then? Spend some time with Caroline and maybe try not to smother Silas too much, some time with Other people or with other people around might do them some good and stop things from getting too awkward or from forcing Arthur to make decisions too quickly. Hadn’t Silas said something about them seeing Bryce again if they got the chance to keep him company. He imagined it might be quite weird for him to proposition Bryce for his wife whilst turning up with her brother and a baby. Not that he planned to do it so soon, he should really talk to Caroline first, and speaking of Caroline and extra-marital relations, he’d sent the letters to his father and Lance to inform them of the pregnancy. He hoped he would get a quick reply and maybe an update on his mother.

Meanwhile, Elsewhere. Arthur was not the only one struggling with confusing emotions. Gavin had certainly been having a difficult time. Especially sleeping under the same roof as that animal. She so wanted to punch is beautiful face. But that wasn't lady like. So Gavin had simply chosen to ignore Lance as much as she could. But now it was time to return to the castle and she had a feeling the man was going to tag along. He was annoying like that.
To make things worse. When she had reached the stable. She'd found her horse missing. A servant it seemed had not realized who's horse it was and rode it into town. Probable to do some shopping. Not a big deal. She could borrow one of the other horses. Except, That ment she'd have to return it later.

It didn't help that she was also getting a bit of a headache. The knight who had escorted her was chatting her ear off a bit. Of course, she put up with it. He was useful. Even if frustrating to deal with. So she laughed along to his jokes. Carefully brushed off his flirting. Talked casually with him. It briefly made her wonder what would have happened had her and Lance been around eachother more before all this chaos. Would they have still felt that pull towards eachother? Or did it all stem from hatred? Was there anything there? Her thoughts were then interrupted by the knight speaking. "You know, Why don't you ride with me? " He offered. Gesturing to his horse. That was not a appealing suggestion. She didn't want to be that near him. Because riding a horse they'd have to be close. Though with some that closeness was tempting. "I'd like to ride with Lance. " The words were out of her mouth before she could stop them.

Oh no, Oh no. She needed to fix this situation. The knight was already looking at her a bit strangly. So, Gavin kept talking. "Actually- I uh, I'm supposed to ride with Lance. " No, No, What was she saying. Gavin then continued. "He's supposed to be watching me. And well- We were in a bigger group before. So I could ride on my own then. But since we're a small group. I uh- I'm supposed to join him. " Great, Just great. Atleast this situation couldn't get any worse? Right?

Gavin really had to stop jinxing herself because it was surefire way to summon Lance. He had actually been going to the stables to tag along anyway, she was right about that, he didn’t really trust the other knight and certainly didn’t like his intentions so he figured he could meddle, as stupid and as transparent as that was, he couldn’t help himself. He’d just been about to turn the corner when he heard Gavin admit she wanted to ride with him. He paused, surprised at the confession although also pleased, unable to stop the smile spreading across his face. She was still thinking about him, even after her anger at him visiting Gareth. It was curious that she’d said that, he supposed it was much like back at the castle when she’d invited him to go off with her. And they all knew how that had ended up. Maybe this would also lead to them kissing? And well, once was an accident, twice was a coincidence but three times? That was a habit. And oh, Lance couldn’t Help but hope that was true.

Lance continued onwards, setting back into motion and approaching the pair. “Sorry, kings orders“ Lance murmured as he got closer. “We’re not happy about it but I don’t want to upset Alexander, especially not now and not when it comes to family” With the Queen having gone into labour, they wouldn’t want to ruin his mood by disobeying his orders now would they? And to be fair Alexander had said for her to go with Lance and for him to bring her back, just never said about sharing a horse. ”you understand“ Lance insisted, patting the man’s back in commiseration before shooting Gavin a curious look. And then he was moving past the knight “Cmon, let’s get ready to go” he said to Gavin and he couldn’t help the amusement in his voice and the way a slightly smug smile was already returning.

Enough people didn't truly appreciate how annoying Lance was. I mean people obviously noticed but it was usually in small doses or put down as jealousy or being a sore loser. He was teasing and cocky and he knew he was handsome and he knew he was a good fighter, it all gave him a Big head. And his confidence meant he was quite happy to poke a bear in order to get a reaction, he didn’t mind pestering to get an answer, like with Chris. He could be awfully annoying but he was quite popular too, only people like Agravain, who straight up didn’t like him could understand how much of a nuisance he was. He wasn’t all bad though, he could be sweet and he was protective and charming at times. Gavin was going to have to take the good with the bad though since she’d been quite literally saddled with him. Gareth had offered to take her back but well, he did enjoy a lie in, still, he would’ve taken she had she come to get him. But no, it was her and Lance now.

He led out his horse, making sure it was all tacked up and ready to go, before swinging up into the saddle then offering a hand to Gavin to help her up too. “Front or back, m’lady?” He said teasingly, cocky grin on his face and eyes twinkling. On the one hand, he’d like her in front, so he could put his arms around her, maybe even whisper in her ear and feel her hair tickle him, but he Also liked the thought of her behind him, gripping onto him and pressed up against him, like she needed him. Oh man, he really needed to sort himself out, maybe get Caleb to slap him so he started think straight instead of stupid. This really was silly of him, and dangerous. Even without her hating him these thoughts would’ve been treacherous, Agravain was not one to take kindly to those flirting with his family, speaking of, he guessed she didn’t want to say goodbye to her brother, she didn’t seem too fond of him from what he'd heard her say. Anyway, maybe Gawain might’ve supported their union, since they’d been friends and all, but he didn’t even think that was true, Lance had a bit of a reputation for getting around, he didn’t think Gawain would like his sister to be next in his long line of lovers.

As soon as Gavin heard Lance's voice, It was a struggle to keep her cheeks from heating up. She could practically hear the smugness in his voice. The knight was certainly a bit confused and didn't seem the most pleased. Looking as though he might argue about the arrangement. But Lance was soon walking off to prepare his horse. Gavin sending one last glance to the knight. Managing to look a bit apologetic. Though she hardly felt sorry. Before she herself followed after Lance. She wondered how obvious her blush was. She was sure it was a bit visible and that thought made her very much want to hide her face. She just needed to get threw this ride. Then she'd be at the caste and would be able to ditch Lance. Yeah! Things would be fine.

Soon enough Lance was at her side once more. For some reason. His question caught her a bit off guard. Of course she wanted to sit in the back! It seemed far less intimate then being in the front. His arms around her and all close. So she spoke up. "Front. " Oh god what was wrong with her? It was out of her mouth before she could stop it. She didn't correct herself though. Because that would surely make her feel more awkward and flustered. So, She sucked it up. Took the offered hand and climbed up onto the horse. Seated in front of Lance and very much aware of the closeness. Was her heart racing? It felt like her heart was racing. One ride, She just had to get threw one ride.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the knights voice. Riding near. "Alright, Y'all ready to head out? " Earning a nod from Gavin. Thus the man was soon moving as to lead the way. Which Gavin didn't like. Because atleast if he was behind them. He'd be looking at them, And that would make things feel maybe a little less.. Close. Or if he was beside them. She could talk to him to distract herself! But as it was, Gavin was very much aware of Lance behind her.
Gavin then murmured quietly. "Don't think to much about this. " Because she had no doubt where his mind was probable wandering. She hated him, He should remember that. Maybe it was that hatred that kept making her slip up? But that didn't explain her desire to be near him. Did he feel it too? That pull. Great, Now she was thinking too much about all of this!

Gavin’s answer also caught him off guard, he figured she might choose the back as it could be more difficult for them to speak but he couldn’t say he wasn’t pleased and he bit back his grin only a little as she made her choice and stuck with it. It wasn’t his first time riding with a pretty lady, he’d done this with girls he’d dated before except him and Gavin weren’t dating and the atmosphere wasn’t quite the same. Lance was curious to see how this might go though. He moved his arms around her sides to grip the reins properly, succeeding in keeping her tucked up close to him.

”you didn’t seem to think too much about wanting to ride with me” Lance replied easily, the teasing clear in his voice and his mouth close to her ear as he kicked the horse into motion after the other knight. “You just can’t keep away can you?” He mused, clearly enjoying this and the way he got her to slip up, to react to him. He’d say it was like cat and mouse except neither of them were mice. “What keeps bringing you back huh?” He asked, keeping his voice low but filled to the brim with amusement, oh he was loving being able to tease her like this, where she couldn’t huff and walk away. I mean she could still hit him or something. “Is it my good looks? My charming personality? Or is it my fantastic kissing?” Yeah maybe she should bring him down a peg.

“I take it lover boy over there couldn’t compete?” He asked and maybe it was Lance’s turn to give himself away now. He was too invested with Gavin and that other knight keeping her company. He was sure she’d probably see right through his jealousy, she was smart like that, but he couldn’t bring himself to stop. Maybe he wanted her to tease him back, if only so she’d talk to him. “Is he not your type or are you already just so taken with me?” This really was a two way street though, he’d been thinking about her just as much as she’d been thinking about him. He was glad she’d chosen to ride with him, was pleased to be pressed up so close to her and maybe had the other knight not been around, had it just been them, he would’ve taken a chance and been extra flirty and pressed some kisses to her neck, but well, they still had a while to go yet and maybe he would be so bold, assuming the other knight didn’t keep looking back at them and Gavin didn’t push him off the horse for teasing her.

Unlike Lance, Gavin could not say she was used to this. Her and her husband had never really ridden in such a way. They had never been particularly intimate people. Of course, She'd shared a horse with her siblings when she was younger. But that was certainly different then this. A small huff came from him as he began talking. Him so close to her ear certainly made her feel all kinds of way. Then he just had to mention there kiss and she without hesitation aimed to turn slightly and elbow him. A small warning. Though that probable didn't faze him too much.

Though he was letting himself slip a bit. Her behavior with the knight had certainly affected him. Thus she found a way to get under his skin. She then mused. "Oh? So your competing with him? Good to know. " She then glanced back at him. A smug grin forming on her face as she mused. "I mean, He's certainly a handsome man. I wouldn't be that opposed to him trying to court me. " Except no. She wasn't interested in him. That pull wasn't there. Lance didn't need to know that though.

She was looking at Lance now. Aware of how close they were. Aware of how she had unintentionally leaned against him as they rode. Oh no, She was getting flustered again. It showed in her cheeks. Soon she was pulling her gaze away. Focusing on the knight ahead of her. He was still leading the way. Hadn't looked back yet. Gavin preferred it that way. Thus he wouldn't notice her and Lance's behavior. Still, She then continued. "But you and him are hardly of much interest. There are others who are far more appealing who have expressed interest in me. " Which wasn't surprising at all. Gavin was a pretty young lady. One of the few people who rivaled the queen in her looks. Her being the niece of a king also seemed to add in her appeal. But Gavin would not consider any man who asked her hand, Not so close to when her husband had passed.

She was elbowing him which was fair enough but Lance couldn’t help but chuckle under his breathe at the behaviour. Compared to her trying to kill him it really was more playful. And speaking of comparisons, his grin slipped a bit as she talked about the other knight. “He is not trying to court you” Lance said pointedly although he figured she was aware of that, just wanted to annoy him. He was a fool for letting her but he was powerless to stop the way she made him feel. And there were others were there? That made sense, she was beautiful and came from a family of power, it was probably a good thing Alexander was fond of her and currently preoccupied with his wife or he might try to find her a husband himself to further relations. Although he might try to anyway to get her out of his hair.

”oh really now?” Lance murmured. “I bet they’re all far more boring” he said. “I bet they don’t get you flustered like me” and he’d brought his voice low again, lips brushing her ear. She was usually so put together but she was with him she seemed to make little mistakes, tripped over her words and revealed things she’d rather not have. “I’m not stupid enough to try and court you,” he promised her. “You’re Dangerous, I understand that more than any of those other men chasing you” he explained. “But, I’m willing to admit you can be fun” he said, “we can be fun,” when they weren’t at each other’s throats but instead at their lips.

”you asked me the other day were you expected for this to go. Maybe I don’t have to expect a destination, sometimes it’s about the journey,“ Like them, now, on a horse. He let his arms around her squeeze a little tighter, keep her a little closer, so they were nice and snug. “Just enjoy the ride” he whispered slowly, sensually, and maybe he had a death wish because he let one hand drop to her thigh. He wasn’t suicidal enough to slide it too high but it was certainly upped The intimacy a bit.

Oh, Gavin knew very well what the man was after. Seemed Lance knew as well. But, Gavin had a feeling that didn't change the mans jealousy. His next words were also true. None had sparked as much interest then Lance. She was dangerous, Sure. But in Gavin's opinion so was he. They were bad for eachother. Anyone with eyes would be able to see that. So why did she enjoy this so much? Gavin didn't think it was the danger she liked. No, It was the softness. The affection she enjoyed. The way he looked at her. She then murmured. "Are you not scared of the destination? " She asked quietly and curiously. Did he not see things going up in flames? Gavin did. Maybe Lance was far more confident then she thought. Or foolish? Maybe both.

Except Lance took things a bit to far. They were affection with eachother. Close. But his hands placement. Even if it was just a small action. It was something a bit too far for Gavin. buried memories resurfaced, And Gavin was moving without thinking. "Don't!" She snarled, Turning to face him and aiming to shove him rather roughly. Her other hand moving as if to scratch his face. Only stopping a second before and finding herself staring at Lance. Expression almost one of bewilderment.

It wasn't a reasonable responds. She knew that, Perhaps at a different point she might not react so harshly. But old events had a way of creeping up on someone. Of making her heart race and hands shake. Of that same vulnerable feeling rushing over her. She didn't like being vulnerable.
Of course this ruckus drew the attention of the knight. Who quickly turning to look at them. Eyes wide. "Is everything okay? " His voice forcing her to pull away. To lower her hands. Speaking quietly. "I... I'm sorry. " Before she turned as to face forward. Gaze low as she murmured. "Yes. Everythings fine. Lets just hurry to the castle. Shall we? "

Maybe the destination was scary; who knew where they’d end? She’d could kill him, he knew she wanted to, but he also knew he wouldn’t go down easily. Or, perhaps more frighteningly, this might escalate, their feelings might grow stronger into something impossible to escape. But…he wanted to find out. He wasn’t a coward but he was confident. Gavin would have to try hard to kill him and he figured they could enjoy each other’s company as well if they were careful. Lance wasn’t being careful though and he was paying e price for it.

Gavin flipped suddenly, taking him by surprise. The shove was harsh snd had it not been for his grip on the reins, his feet in the stirrups snd the lack of space between them making it harder for her to get full force behind the push then he might’ve fallen off the horse. Her hand was even coming up to attack him more but she managed to stop himself. Lance hadn’t moved to defend himself though, stupid really when you thought about how much she hated him, but no instead he was staring at her with shock, hazel eyes wide as he met her gaze. He knew that move had been forward But he hadn’t expected such a severe reaction, just for her to slap his hand off maybe if she hadn’t liked it.

He didn’t even look at the knight as he inquired what was wrong but he expected Gavin might change horses but no…she stuck with him and was soon turning away. He urged the horse back into a walk, it having come to a stop at the attack. He let them ride in silence for a little while, letting the dust settle on the situation a little before he chose to start speaking again. Lance never had been one for keeping quiet for too long. “I’m sorry” he apologised, “I didn’t mean to overstep” okay maybe he had a little, but not to upset her so much, he’d been playing, that what they seemed to do, it just hadn’t landed very well. “I won’t do it again” he promised. He should’ve thought it through better, she’d just lost her husband, and even so, he shouldn’t be feeling up women like that, not to mention she was liable to turn on him without such actions. He figured there went his chance at more kisses, and he was disappointed however it shouldn’t be his first thought. His arms were still around her, had to be with their position, but he didn’t press as close anymore, didn’t hold her as tight, didnt want to set her off again or upset her. How foolish of him, he should’ve known better, it would've been bold for a girl he was dating, it had simply been too much for one who didn’t even tolerate him.

Lance was certainly surprised by Gavin's reaction. Gavin had seen the shock in his eyes. Didn't know how that made her feel, But her own reaction had her feeling... Well, Weak. Because after all these years. The past still plagued her. It only took a second for it to come rushing back. Gavin focused ahead of her. On the horses mane. Attempting to steady herself. Keep her breathing under control and rid herself of this horrid shaking. Lance for his part was good about trying to give her some space. Something she was thankful for. Though she was aware of how close he was. But also what he was, He was a knight. I knight who had betrayed her family. He'd hurt her. Knights could be cruel, They c- Wait. He was apologizing?

It took her a moment to register what he was saying. Keeping her eyes down. She then shook her head. "Don't. Its fine. " She should be better at controlling herself. At keeping her emotions in check. She then confessed quietly. "I... Don't like that kind of closeness. " It was to much, And as much as she was pulled towards Lance. He was a unknown. He was not safe. She then once more fell quiet. Luckily the castle was soon enough in sight and Gavin allowed herself a heavy breath. Waiting until they reached the courtyard before climbing off the horse.

Gavin was just about to make her way to the throne room. To greet the king and explain her return. But then she remembered the queen. The woman had likely had her baby. Thus Gavin had a feeling the king would certainly be busy. Probable relieved as well to have another possible heir. Her attention was then pulled to the knight who spoke up. "Ma'am. Would you like me to escort you to your room? " Great, He was still in her hair. But Gavin shook her head. "No thank you, I'm sure you have duties to attend to. I need to go and see to my daughter. " Her words caused the man to frown and at first Gavin thought he might refuse. That he'd insist on tagging along. But in the end the man nodded. "Of course, But if you change your mind, I'd love to assist you. " He promised, And with that he was moving towards the stable as to leave his horse.

Gavin seemed to want to move on from the incident, didn’t even insist on blaming him more which he would’ve expected. Instead she was simply saying that sort of closeness made her uncomfortable which was far enough considering who he was and that she was recently widowed. Lance didn’t know if her trauma but he figured her reasons made enough sense without them. He’d make sure to remember that, to try and not overstep any boundaries, it’d be easier if he knew where they were but any intimacy like that, if she even let him that close again, he’d let her initiate or be much more careful with it.

It’d probably be a while before anyone could get a proper audience with the king although Lance figured there’d likely be some formal announcement soon about the new heir. As it was, Gavin had to rely on other family to keep her company For now. Lance stopped his horse, hesitating for a moment, even if he wasn’t snuggled up to Gavin any more he was still enjoying the closeness. He really was touch starved. He dismounted and offered a hand up to Gavin again to help her off. “I know you think badly of me” Lance started. “But please know I wouldn’t try and upset you like that” He hadn’t wanted to make her uncomfortable on purpose, he wasn’t like Gaheris had been with Ruth, even if the move had been similar.

”I…..if anything I do like that makes you uncomfortable then please let me know” preferably before she scratched his face off. It was one thing to be annoying, it was another to be harassing or leery. He just wanted her To know that he wasn’t trying to prey on her, he wasn’t trying to pressure her or take advantage or whatever, he was just having a lot of confusing feelings for her and he foolishly wanted to be close to her. He should leave Her be, she wanted to see her daughter. He almost asked her to say hi from him to Gabriel but she hadn’t liked him talking to her the other day. He should go check on his father anyway, and Elaine, he hadn't managed to speak to them yesterday. Or maybe he should try and find Christopher and see if he wanted to do more training, that might be a nice distraction, except the whole knowing about his crush on Agravain.

Last edited:
Gavin was focused very much on keeping any further emotions down. To stay calm, So she did her best not to hesitate when she took Lance's hand. Seemed he was still trying to seek forgiveness. Gavin didn't much know how to take that. Lance was a horrible person, So why was he so concerned about how she felt? Gavin then waved her hand dismissively. "Stop fretting, I overreacted. " She didn't like that, She'd need to get a better handle on her emotions. It was better to remain calm and collected. Finally she looked up at him. A mistake, Because his expression seemed so very honest. There that longing in her chest was. But it was mixed with anxiety that had yet to die down. They should focus on the journey, He seemed to believe that was the case. What did he expect the journey to entail? She knew what many men sought from her. But Lance didn't feel the same. It was the affection he almost seemed to crave. Or maybe that was only her own feelings?

Gavin then told Lance. "I... I do enjoy some things about you. " Indeed, There were somethings she really enjoyed about him. The kisses, The way he looked at her, The way he made her heart beat fast. Not that she planned to say any of that out loud. "But, This isn't going to work. We do not work. " She gestured between the two of them. Sure, They seemed to have a way of getting underneath eachothers skin. But frankly they were probable going to end up murdering eachother in the end. Gavin still had plans to ruin him after all.

That wasn't to say that was the only reason. Gavin then said. "This, Is just physical. " Because that had to be the case. It was lust. Just pure confusing lust. Gavin then shook her head. "Thats not for me. " It would be difficult for her to go that far. Especially with someone she wasn't emotionally invested in! That she didn't trust. Gavin then sighed. "I shouldn't have started this. It was a mistake. " It had to be a mistake. She just needed to get away from him, Stop this silly desire. And then return to plotting!

Despite the circumstances and despite Gavin being a supposed enemy, he couldn't help but feel pure unadulterated joy at her saying she enjoyed some things about him. He was getting too invested in something unviable, and rather quickly too. He needed to get a hold on himself. Gavin was being reasonable, saying they wouldn’t Work but why then did she keep pulling them together or let him get away with, mostly, the things he did. She still seemed so upset about the destination, worried about how it would end, not curious about what they could feel about each other, could do to make them feel alive.

She was claiming it was just physical and maybe it had been quite physical so far, two stolen kisses. But for those two kisses there had also been a considerable amount of flirting and teasing. He’d been in physicsl relationships before anyway, or ones more physical than emotional, especially in his younger days, ut they didn’t feel like this. Maybe it was different for her. Still, it’s not like Lance expected her to sleep with him, although he wouldn’t mind such a destination, that wasn’t what was drawing him to her. He was quite happy with the kisses, with quiet moments, he didn’t really get to be slow and gentle with Caroline, they’d been more hasty and full of fire. They didn’t have the luxury of taking their time, and things had started quite intense with Caroline, it’s not like they could de-escalate. Don’t get him wrong, he’d love to have lazy days with Caroline, holding her hand and going on picnics, taking her dancing and going swimming with her, but they led different lives and There were simply too many eyes on her, they couldn’t truly have a fulfilling relationship and he was starting to realise that, as much as it upset him.

“mistakes can be good” He insisted, ”without mistakes I wouldn’t have my son, and he’s the best thing that ever happened to me” he told her. Perhaps it was a bit rude to say that about Galahad, calling him a mistake, but he didn’t mean it like that, Galahad just hadn’t exactly been planned had he? No, but Lance was so grateful for him, so happy to have him in his life. “Youre worrying too much, thinking too much” Lance told her. “I’m not asking for you body” he reassured her. “I’m just asking for you to enjoy the moment.“ He knew he has a reputation, Gavin was no doubt aware that he got around a fair bit, but people often forgot he was a romantic, sure a few of his relationships had not been about love, but for the most part he liked to feel something other than lust.

“listen, are you doing anything tonight?” He asked, I mean she was on castle arrest so probably not but she might have plans with her daughter or her brothers, well like just Gaheris. “Let’s have dinner” why on Earth was he suggesting this? Did he have a death wish! He couldn’t stop himself though. “And we can just enjoy the moment, forget about what’s going on for just a little while, just some time not to feel lonely or angry or sad“ he insisted. “And if you have to justify it to yourself? Say you're doing reconnaissance on me, learning about the enemy, but that’s not what I’ll be doing” no, apparently what he was doing was losing his mind!

Her gaze flickered down as Lance talked. Perhaps some mistakes were good, But Gavin could not see such being the case with this. But was this truly a mistake? What was the harm in enjoying the company? Except Gavin was not so sure she could keep emotions out of it. She hated Lance. Had too. This... Made that more difficult. His next words caught her by surprise and she was soon looking up at Lance. Clearly startled by the idea. "Are you asking me on a date? " The words suddenly came out. Before her cheeks became a bit redder and a soft laugh came from her. Because the idea was rather silly to her- Silly, But well.. Also cute in a way. It was hard not to be endeared by the idea.

Gavin then said. "I... Okay. Yeah, Lets do it. " She should be refusing. But she couldn't bring herself to do such. Besides, Perhaps it would be useful to learn more about him. Except no, Gavin didn't think she'd end up learning much. She'd probable end up being too flustered to think. What exactly would this date entail? She couldn't leave the castle and she doubted either of them wanted anyone to find out about them. So this dinner might be confined to one of their rooms. Or maybe some hidden place in the castle. Gavin supposed she'd find out soon enough.

This wasn't going to work, She had just said it out loud. Why couldn't she listen to her own advice? Except she must have been going completely mad. For she suddenly took a step forward. Leaning up and giving Lance a small kiss on the cheek. That was dangerous. But Gavin had not noticed anyone watching them. So she risked it. Stepping away and moving to leave. Murmuring quietly. "I'll see you tonight. " And with that, She was walking away. Leaving Lance behind. This would be a interesting night.

Asking her out on a date was ill-advised, they weren’t even friends, let alone lovers or the like. He fully expected to get shot down, especially after how she’d reacted to him earlier but she wasn’t saying a no straight away. Sure she laughed but it was a soft, beautiful sound rather than something mocking snd mean. And she was blushing. Oh, it made her seem more approachable, sweeter than her glares and her shouts. And she was agreeing! for whatever reason she was agreeing! And Lance was unable to stop the smile spreading across his face. He had a date! With Gavin! He never thought that would happen and not at all recently, didn’t even know why he wanted it really but he did, boy did he.

She even graced him with a kiss on the cheek and he was grinning like an idiot, he was sure she thought him a fool but frankly he didn’t care because he had a date. And just to cement it: “it’s a date” he called back, and it was his turn to laugh brightly then. He felt giddy, very pleased with himself and extremely excited. He was delighted with how that had turned out. He hadn’t been on a date in quite some time, it’s not like he got to go on dates with Caroline but he thought this would be good for him. Some time to have fun and enjoy himself. Oh, he had to figure out what to wear, and what they’d do and what to eat. he was sure he could get something from the kitchens and oh he had an idea about where to go. Obviously they couldn’t wander far but they’d want some privacy.

Lance turned to go find Chris, he couldn’t announce this to all the knights like he wanted to, they’d sure,y enquire, but maybe he could talk to Chris. He didn’t have to say her name but maybe he could? He would hold his secret about Agravain, maybe Chris could do the same with Gavin? They’d see. Chris might not be too happy to be holding so many secrets though. Oh, he felt like laughing again and he couldn’t stop grinning, that had certainly put him in a good mood. Maybe he’d go easy on Chris again then. What a good day this would be then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back