Other I need to fix this problem ASAP.

radical

Sophie //zealous member
There are two siblings at that I teach (at my church) who are constantly fighting and causing trouble for me and I need to plan a play for our Thanksgiving potluck but they can’t stop fighting about who is going to be the main character. What should I do? To give a bit background about the situation, they’ve been fighting since the younger one was born. They always try to one-up each other, everything is a competition where the older one must win. I have tried to diffuse the situation many times and when I asked why the older sibling treats her younger sibling so poorly, she replied, “She’s small, tiny, and good for nothing. I’m better than her.” Obviously, you can see my struggle. I’m not an adult or somebody with a degree in teaching or ministry so I need some tips!

salty_ moustachio salty_ moustachio That’s actually a good idea lol. It might not work because then the older one will quit the play and talk with her “friend group” aka the poor kids that she’s manipulating and try to “overthrow” me and then they will attack me like a swarm of bees when service is over and harrass me. :)

salty_ moustachio salty_ moustachio That’s actually a good idea lol. It might not work because then the older one will quit the play and talk with her “friend group” aka the poor kids that she’s manipulating and try to “overthrow” me and then they will attack me like a swarm of bees when service is over and harrass me. :)

If they do that then just go full religious zealot on them and start screaming the sins they've committed at them lmao

I don't know who's in charge of what, but I'd tell the parents they are being disrupt to the point you can't deal with it and that they aren't allowed to participate until they improve

To tell you the truth, I was that kind of older sibling when I was growing up. Well, a bit worse even. Having my first younger sibling changed a lot in my life and at the time I had no control over my temper... so, yeah in a sense I can relate to that kid, and I know they'll come to regret it later in life if they let themselves get carried away.

The best thing you can do is foster a situation where the siblings helping each other-rather than one having something better withou the other having it better too- is what gets them to the prize. I would give a more concrete suggestion, but I don't know these siblings, what they like, how old they are... So it's hard for me to give a real suggestion. That said, I can tell you one thing, they are not going to stop fighting. Still, so long as the situation is kept to teasing at most, they should be fine.

As for the play specifically, I mean, there are plenty of stories with more than one main character. If they are old enough to get it, it's even possible to pull a Dr Jekyll/Mr. Hyde sort of deal and have them both cooperate in playing the same character.

Idea Idea The older one is 11 years old, the younger one is 9 or 10. Also, the older one literally refuses to do a play w/ two main characters and they’ve shared parts in the past but I don’ think it’s going to work anymore because the older one has already made it clear that she wants this play to be “her way” in terms of roles and parts because she already cooperated and split her lines w/ the younger one on the last play. I try my best to help their relationship but the older one always twists everything and turns it into a competition.

Mhhhmmm... how long do you have until this has to be ready? If you have time, maybe you could let her have a hand at deciding things, with the rule that she can't make people do something they don't want to. If she tries and fails, she might see taking things her way won't necessarily work. I ain't no educator though, don't know if this could actually work or if it's too out there a plan... but honestly the only other thing I can think of is to put your foot down and tell her she can't have her way, but I can't say that really worked in my case, and experience is all I'm backing my advise on so... you know.

Have them duel. End it once and for all, a fight to the death like no other!

Anywho, you should give them roles which are equal/similar to eachother.

Or they can do rock, paper, scissors.

I still prefer my first idea though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back