Advice/Help i feel like im bad at getting people into rp's

Probably a crow

Professional space idiot
i seem to suck to trying to get people to rp's because i cant make a good intro to get people interested.any tips?

i dont think that was bad grammar that was just a bad written sentence.
ok thats the same thing but i just said the same thing twice in the same sentence but thats just how i type in normal forms.i dont deeply observe my normal typing deeply.

Well, gotta agree with Loyola. I usually, or almost always, avoid roleplays where my partner has bad grammar.

Here are my first impressions:
1.Your thread provided 0 info on yourself other than the plot you wanted to make and your contact. As a partner how am I supposed to know whether I want to RP with you if you can't even provide basic info like requirements, limits and a few preferences?

2.You just up and dropped the plot without so much as an introduction, made a very short search thread and your wording also didn't help: All in all your search thread gives the impression of someone who just doesn't care, because it doesn't show any effort put into it (regardless of whether you did or did not) and because you couldn't word it in any way that seemed passionate.

3.By not revealing your age and by choosing to Rp not on the site (like you're supposed to when you come to RPN...) but on discord, you are already losing quite a chunk of the audience.

4.your latest thread has a bit more life to it, but it also got bumped in less than an hour which makes you seem desperate, needy and impatient. Again, regardless of you actually being any of those things or not.

Tips to Potentially Help:

1./2.Try to be a bit more approachable. Talk a little about yourself in a friendly manner. Sharing stuff like your hobbies, genres you're interested in, so long as you come off as a friendly and approachable and not like you're trying to shove a plot down someone's throat that will already be a big improvement. You can also follow this link for some tips on how to make your search thread more informative:
Tutorial - 11 Dos and Dont's of Making an Informative 1x1 Search Thread

3. At least share your age. Personally I don't think age matters, but if your goal is to attract more people then not alienating those 18+ Rpers might be in your best interest.

4.As a rule of thumb wait at least 2 days before bumping your thread.

Hope this helps, good luck and happy Rping!

It definitely helps to put your best foot forward in a search thread. If grammar and sentence structure isn't something you usually put much thought into, try doing so with your thread and RPs but also be honest and mention it isn't your strongest suit. There are apps and websites that can help you with grammar, sentence structure and the like. At the very least, put a little more time into capitalization, punctuation, and spelling. Some folks do the all lower case thing in their search thread deliberately but will type with proper cases in the RP but looking at your RP posts that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Idea makes some great points about listing your requirements and preferences as well. Personally I very rarely PM people with super short search threads simply because I have no idea what their actual RP preferences are. Of course, you can always find out by PMing the person but I feel putting relevant info in the thread makes that initial contact that much easier and that much less awkward.

Also, I don't think the style of roleplay you use is really popular on sites like RPN. I've definitely seen it around, but I notice on RP forums most writers prefer to fully narrate their character's actions in complete sentences rather than using asterisks and sentence fragments. That one's more of a personal preference thing but it might not hurt to try out the style I mentioned.

It definitely helps to put your thread in the proper forum. For 1x1 RPs you want the looking for partners forum. The one you posted in is for actual RP threads so I doubt people often go there when looking for partners.

Finally, it helps to be patient. Forums aren't a real time medium and not everyone is online at all times. Bumping a thread multiple times in an hour is unnecessary.

Last edited:
It definitely helps to put your thread in the proper forum. For 1x1 RPs you want the looking for partners forum. The one you posted in is for actual RP threads so I doubt people often go there when looking for partners.
Oh yeah. I think I missed it when I checked the thread out, but this is a good point.

It is absolutely that. The prevalent majority of people find it off-putting, and if you cannot bother to put an apostrophe into "can't", or hold Shift down when you write "I", how can anyone be sure will bother to play properly, keep up with the plot, make decent replies, not godmode, or play at all?

ok thats the same thing but i just said the same thing twice in the same sentence but thats just how i type in normal forms.i dont deeply observe my normal typing deeply.
Would you like a co host? looks like allyou really need is someone who can edit for you. Otherwise I bet you got some good ideas. Would you like me to help?

Would you like a co host? looks like allyou really need is someone who can edit for you. Otherwise I bet you got some good ideas. Would you like me to help?
heyy Derick your profile pic fucking terrifies me and we have talked before. ive gotten way better at character development and dynamics

I do not use the previous one. and I wanted a fresh start. Actually, I have three. But I am only active on this one.

i seem to suck to trying to get people to rp's because i cant make a good intro to get people interested.any tips?

Start the RP in the middle of the action. If at all possible avoid bland starting scenes (waking up, going to school, walking around, sitting around, waiting for the other person to engage you). Throw the characters in the middle of a shootout, running from something, in a confrontation with one another, dealing with SOME kind of situation that forces everyone to immediately interact. It's fast, it's fun and doesn't bog down the start of the roleplay.

Later, after whatever minor crisis is averted, you can do the more traditional boring intro shit, but it won't be such a bore because it's post action and you're ready for a little slow down.

Least that is what I like to try and do . . . because my least favorite thing is writing or reading a boring intro bullshit where I'd rather be eating cardboard!

I think you should explain a little more what you are looking for, but you also know that this site is for RPs, the more you suggest people do a RP elsewhere, the less easy it will be to be interested, not everyone has a discord, skype, whatever app/sites you use.

The first thing is your grammar and pronounciating really sucks, no offense- at all to you. I didn't get it at first either but it actually helps both sides of the roleplays and allows you, to feel more and enjoy more from it with detail and proper grammar to convey the picture you're trying to paint or emotion.

For example you could say, "Randall walked through the hall."

Or you could go a bit more into it and say, "The tall young man strode through the darkened bleak halls, at a long brisk stride, tense with anticipation." Or something along those lines. That creates a feeling, of uncertainty, through Randall's perspective. A young tall man, going through this hall that is dark, plausibly scary, and the character is striding through at a brisk pace to clear it.

As for forums, and making an introduction to looking for a partner, etc. That is your first introduction really to the community. It's not the ones you even post in the introduction sections. What you put forward in the Looking for Partners forum is what people expect of you in terms of writing style, ettiquette and technique, and that's as much effort as you put forward. It's why see forums you see the post with lots of details, some formatting and flowery vocabulary. It's not because they are being snobbish, they are just trying to give their best impression, like a resumé.

It's okay if you aren't that experienced in writing, some come here to in fact expand upon their writing capabilities for their own stories or motives. But I would suggest looking into how some others write their threads and what is given to you through some of your own RPs.

Probably a crow Probably a crow

Here is some advice on creating an opening. Firstly, take any preconceived notion you have about political correctness and briefly throw it to the moon (just for the eye grabber). Think of the weirdest most outlandish situation your character could be in, whether it be getting stung by a jellyfish (in the eye to make it even weirder), strangled by a sheep, or even just waking up to realize they got really drunk and fell asleep next to someone they either like, dislike, don't know, uel magis (Latin meaning "or more" as opposed to et cetera meaning "and the rest").

I didn't mean to go all Latin teacher on your butt. What I am trying to say is that you should have fun with making your openings. The wackier you can make your opening, without being overtly graphic (although some people on different sites might be into that), the more eyes your opening will catch. The trick after that is to HOLD your reader's attention after having grabbed it. Don't worry! Writing is hard. Even the master linguists are still learning things. :)

EDIT: As for grammar, I highly recommend the application called Grammarly. It also comes in browser extension form.

Last edited:
Work on your capitalization and grammar.

I know that sounds mean but I'm not sorry.

I feel for you, though. I have trouble getting interests for my RPs too. Though, it's mostly because my RPs aren't what people are used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back