Viewpoint "I don't get it." What's an RP Fandom/Theme/Idea you could never understand?

Aron the Aron

Lord Commissar Secretary of Floor Gang
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
We've all been there before: you're browsing RPN, maybe searching the Interest Checks for new partners to RP with when you start noticing trends.

"Wow, that's a lot of threads asking/craving for X!"

"Wait, people want to roleplay X?"

And you just cannot for the life of it understand the craving for X for whatever reason. Maybe you're just not interested in K-Dramas, or you don't see the appeal in Stranger Things, or you're lost in a sea of CCxCC or CCxOC; we all have our reasons for scratching our heads at the Interest Check wondering why there's so much demand for that one thing.

What was that thing for you?

Basically anything pertaining to real life celebrities or public figures. If your RP involves playing real Youtubers, real K-pop idols, etc. then I'm out. I understand the appeal of those types of RP's I guess, but at least play them with fictional characters...

I'll echo what Jannah said above about rping as real people, I find it very weird, but for myself I'll extend to using any real persons image for a roleplay.

I don't understand how people can use a photo of Attractive McFamousPerson as their ocs faceclaim without their immersion being broken. Even if it's not a super well known person, even just the knowledge that this is a living breathing person is enough to ruin things for me.

Though on that note, I much prefer to find my own faceclaims for rps, whether its using Picrew or commissioning artists (when I'm not broke)

I'll echo what Jannah said above about rping as real people, I find it very weird, but for myself I'll extend to using any real persons image for a roleplay.

I don't understand how people can use a photo of Attractive McFamousPerson as their ocs faceclaim without their immersion being broken. Even if it's not a super well known person, even just the knowledge that this is a living breathing person is enough to ruin things for me.

Though on that note, I much prefer to find my own faceclaims for rps, whether its using Picrew or commissioning artists (when I'm not broke)
Eh...I just see it as an actor just playing yet another role.

Yeah, rp real people. I assume it's probably the same thing as fanfiction, since the people are essentially "characters", just not my thing.

In fandom rp, some non-canon ships and rare pairs. Sometimes I can't understand how some of these characters would even work together.

For me, real people being used as FCs just seems weird on an "imagine if you found out that someone online was using your face to represent their roleplay character named Azalea Lovelace who cheated on her boyfriend with a gnome" level. I feel like it's strange at best, disrespectful at worst to use someone's actual face to represent a fictional character without their consent, but that might just be a me thing.

What breaks immersion for me is when people use popular video game characters as FCs for their OCs. Like, using designs from video game enemies, armors, weapons, even NPCs who have no established personality, none of that bothers me. But if I have to think of Sans Undertale every time I interact with your skeleton OC because that's the FC you used, I'm probably going to slip and treat them as I would treat an interaction with Sans Undertale.

Eh...I just see it as an actor just playing yet another role.
A role they didn't agree to play. And usually when an actor plays a role they act as the character they're meant to be, as opposed to just being a photo or a gif that I'm meant to pretend is someone's oc.

In an only slightly related point, I should note that I have the same issue understanding other fictional -> real character things. For example, if you asked me who would be good to play a character from a book in a live action movie, I would totally blank. I'd be the worst person at casting a film. So this isn't just a roleplay thing I'd struggle with.

For me, real people being used as FCs just seems weird on an "imagine if you found out that someone online was using your face to represent their roleplay character named Azalea Lovelace who cheated on her boyfriend with a gnome" level. I feel like it's strange at best, disrespectful at worst to use someone's actual face to represent a fictional character without their consent, but that might just be a me thing.

What breaks immersion for me is when people use popular video game characters as FCs for their OCs. Like, using designs from video game enemies, armors, weapons, even NPCs who have no established personality, none of that bothers me. But if I have to think of Sans Undertale every time I interact with your skeleton OC because that's the FC you used, I'm probably going to slip and treat them as I would treat an interaction with Sans Undertale.

I'm quite fortunate in that I'm uncultured when it comes to many games and anime, and I won't recognize many characters when they're used as someone's OC. For characters I do recognize I have the same problem.

And if I ever become famous (haha funny joke FangS31) and someone uses my awkward little face as their original character I'd be very unhappy.

Captor x Captive or anything else in the “person A is committing a crime against person B and that’s sexy” genre of roleplay.

I just don’t get how it’s not terrifying and creepy.

Like theoretically I get why bad guys are sexy, like mafia bosses or whatever. That isn’t the issue, it’s why would the person the mafia don is torturing non consensually find them sexy?

Zombies for some reason. I can’t see the appeal of it. It’s just something I’ve never been interested in RPing. That and vampires and werewolves and other super natural creatures along those lines.

Steampunk. I've read a few books within the sub-genre, and I didn't hate it, but when it comes to writing it myself, I just can't wrap my head around it.

That and space-travel and/or futuristic robotic themes. I can't do it justice, and I lose interest super quickly.
(Plus the idea of being in space with my feet not on solid ground makes me want to hyperventilate, so I'm sure that's a factor lol)

Zombies for some reason. I can’t see the appeal of it. It’s just something I’ve never been interested in RPing. That and vampires and werewolves and other super natural creatures along those lines.
Awhile back, I was in a RP that took place in the same universe as Warm Bodies - different characters, same concept. I really enjoyed it. It's the only one of its kind I've ever written. I think it was the romantic aspect more than the zombies that I liked. I don't think I could do write zombies in any other setting.

A role they didn't agree to play. And usually when an actor plays a role they act as the character they're meant to be, as opposed to just being a photo or a gif that I'm meant to pretend is someone's oc.

In an only slightly related point, I should note that I have the same issue understanding other fictional -> real character things. For example, if you asked me who would be good to play a character from a book in a live action movie, I would totally blank. I'd be the worst person at casting a film. So this isn't just a roleplay thing I'd struggle with.
Eh...different strokes for different folks I guess. Almost all my RP's are of a realistic nature so using anything except realistic faces would break the immersion for me.

Awhile back, I was in a RP that took place in the same universe as Warm Bodies - different characters, same concept. I really enjoyed it. It's the only one of its kind I've ever written. I think it was the romantic aspect more than the zombies that I liked. I don't think I could do write zombies in any other setting.
Ah got it. I know I could never write zombies haha.

We've all been there before: you're browsing RPN, maybe searching the Interest Checks for new partners to RP with when you start noticing trends.

And you just cannot for the life of it understand the craving for X for whatever reason. Maybe you're just not interested in K-Dramas, or you don't see the appeal in Stranger Things, or you're lost in a sea of CCxCC or CCxOC; we all have our reasons for scratching our heads at the Interest Check wondering why there's so much demand for that one thing.

Neko Slave roleplay tavern.

For the life of me I do not understand why slave submissive anime cat girls online can be somebodys pass time.

Do people actually act out being female cat girls in an oppressive setting?
Do people like being slaves?

Why?

On the site I originated from, there's an entire (and rather large) group of people who solely RP a bunch of slaves and slave masters. Even worse: it's a rated R thing for them. They somehow think that oppressed people can consent to ##### relationships with their oppressors, and if you ever said anything otherwise, they lost their minds on you. I always thought it was extremely disrespectful...like the whole thing of that group was to romanticize slavery. Like it was some cutesy, taboo thing: "ooh it's monday evening! time to hop on the client and RP being a slave in an extremely abusive relationship with a slave master and then gush over how much i love that pairing!" I'm pretty sure it's still a thing there and the mods just casually overlook it. Probably because several of them are in on it.

To avoid derailing thread: space opera. It frequently devolves into hard sci-fi nerds getting into fistfights over theoretical spaceship stuff. "No, MY GALATIC DREADNOUGHT ION-CANNON-BEAM DESTROYER is stronger than yours!!"

academy/school RPs. The appeal completely eludes me. I cannot fathom how this is a setting anyone would want to get into. Yes, I know, the bulk of the RP isn't played in classrooms. I know a lot of people advertise for them, which mean a lot of people like them. but I just dont get it. So then why advertise it as being a school or academy RP? Slice of life also seems like it's just destined to fail, as they have no actual direction for plot.

Dream SMP for me. I understand that there are a lot of fans of it and Minecraft as a whole here, but I do not fully see the joy of it. Stranger Things gets a very close second.

Dream SMP for me. I understand that there are a lot of fans of it and Minecraft as a whole here, but I do not fully see the joy of it. Stranger Things gets a very close second.
Stranger Things is just the current flavor of the year. This is just typical trend following. Whatever popular show is on TV, gets mimicked in Roleplay requests. I see it all the time

On the site I originated from, there's an entire (and rather large) group of people who solely RP a bunch of slaves and slave masters. Even worse: it's a rated R thing for them. They somehow think that oppressed people can consent to ##### relationships with their oppressors, and if you ever said anything otherwise, they lost their minds on you. I always thought it was extremely disrespectful...like the whole thing of that group was to romanticize slavery. Like it was some cutesy, taboo thing: "ooh it's monday evening! time to hop on the client and RP being a slave in an extremely abusive relationship with a slave master and then gush over how much i love that pairing!" I'm pretty sure it's still a thing there and the mods just casually overlook it. Probably because several of them are in on it.

To avoid derailing thread: space opera. It frequently devolves into hard sci-fi nerds getting into fistfights over theoretical spaceship stuff. "No, MY GALATIC DREADNOUGHT ION-CANNON-BEAM DESTROYER is stronger than yours!!"
adult RP tends to have a lot of master/slave dynamics. Personally, I find it cliche and boring. Its like, omg look another Dom wanting a slave/sub with no limits. Oh, how original! *rolls eyes*

As far as Space opera, I fucking LOVE space opera! And honestly, I just can't find groups for it anymore. If you have knowledge of a place where the nerds are fighting over it, please do let me know where this is.

(but honestly, that same issue of my ion cannon can beat your dreadnaught can be said for any magic/fantasy setting where my fireball beats your magic circle)

Last edited:
As far as Space opera, I fucking LOVE space opera and honestly, I just can't find it anymore. If you have knowleedge of a place where the nerds are fighting over it, please do let me know where this is.

I don't actually know where any of it is. I just happen to be friends with some hard sci-fi nerds who make me the target of three hour rants regarding thermodynamics. I think that might be the problem...space opera fans spend so much time arguing over physics and political climates that they never get to the writing part. *brow raise*

Well. That and the divide between '40 year old coots who are exclusively interested in Douglas' and '15 year old kids who are exclusively interested in Halo' makes a small community even smaller. The entry bar for space opera is excruciating. I'm a biology and medical wizard, but even the dedication that some sci-fi writers have to their craft and the level of complexity in it is terrifying...

I don't actually know where any of it is. I just happen to be friends with some hard sci-fi nerds who make me the target of three hour rants regarding thermodynamics. I think that might be the problem...space opera fans spend so much time arguing over physics and political climates that they never get to the writing part. *brow raise*
I guess, unlike magic and otherworldly realms and supernatural stuff, sci-fi at least tries to root itself in fact, and hence all the researchig and jargon and whatnot. I admit that I, myself have looked up things like how fusion reactors work, how to make non-nuclear EMPs, and conversion rates of things like gigawatts and megajoules. Because without the science, well it's just fantasy fiction

Well. That and the divide between '40 year old coots who are exclusively interested in Douglas' and '15 year old kids who are exclusively interested in Halo' makes a small community even smaller.
Yeah, i see that a lot. You have a generational divide that is interested in substantially different kinds of sci-fi. and a lot of that has to do with the progression of actual science. In the 1940's and 50's we had alien Martian movies and books that are completely unfeasible by the common knowledge of nowadays. John Carter of Mars is a perfect example. When it was written, Mars was free game. We hadn't a clue as to what it was like there, so the fantastical stories written about it were compelling. Pitch that nowadays, and everyone will look at you like you're stupid or crazy, or both.

And video game regurgitation doesnt really count as sci-fi. its just another fan fic, imo

The entry bar for space opera is excruciating. I'm a biology and medical wizard, but even the dedication that some sci-fi writers have to their craft and the level of complexity in it is terrifying...
That depends on what you're getting yourself into. some people play it light and loose and leave a lot to assumption or fall back on what is true in reality. And others miss the forest for the trees, so to speak. But i know what you mean as far as HUGE amounts of lore. Are any of your friends Warhammer 40k fans? Because that is a fandom that has a TON of lore. I'm a lite fan, myself. but some of the RPs I've had with other WH40K fans are just an overload of information that has me looking things up with every other post so i know whats going on.

Roleplaying real people or canon characters. Not usually something I'm interested in. Canon characters I can do if its more like.. a satire 'wink wink, nudge nudge' but even that is something I don't really enjoy doing. I wanna write my own characters and trying to constantly study how another character behaves to properly imitate it is just exhausting.

Neko Slave roleplay tavern.

For the life of me I do not understand why slave submissive anime cat girls online can be somebodys pass time.

Do people actually act out being female cat girls in an oppressive setting?

Why?

Granted, not something I ever wanna do myself, but that is kinda like asking 'Do people like being murderers?' if they are playing a character that has ever killed someone. Or 'Do people like just being miserable?' if the character suffers at any point in the rp.

Most people have the ability to separate fiction from reality. So when someone writes something, it does not necessarily mean they wish to experience it or inflict that on someone else. I've done far worse things then Neko Slaves in games like CK3 or Rimworld, I'd never, ever, condone any such things in real life.

academy/school RPs. The appeal completely eludes me. I cannot fathom how this is a setting anyone would want to get into. Yes, I know, the bulk of the RP isn't played in classrooms. I know a lot of people advertise for them, which mean a lot of people like them. but I just dont get it. So then why advertise it as being a school or academy RP? Slice of life also seems like it's just destined to fail, as they have no actual direction for plot.
You’d be surprised. I’ve had a lot of nice slice of life roleplays. Yes many of them fall flat, but the ones that don’t are always some good casual fun.

Sure they might not have a compelling plot, but I’m someone who uses writing and RPing as a way to wind down after a hard day at work so SOL RPs are nice sometimes.

But I totally understand your bewilderment as to why anyone would like them haha. I’m just a bit more of a casual role player I guess.

I’m having a slightly hard time answering this one as for most of the things I’ve come up it’s more that I can’t personally get into it. I do understand why people go for it, and frankly it’s just cause people like it. People just happen to like playing real life people or cannot character or playing in plots whose stories are already finished, or at least they like those characters or people enough that it Carrie’s them through. Taste isn’t the kind of thing to understand rationally.

Now that being said, there are some things, more structurally rather than in ideas, that do confuse me. I’ve previously made a thread asking about one of them, doubling pairings, as it’s confusing to me why someone would put up with something transactional like that - or how it could possibly work. The answer I got back then was mostly that those people who do it didn’t see it as a transaction or were just able to learn to enjoy their least favored side, though both of these still ring some confusion in my mind.

Another thing is plots or premises that are utterly isolated or empty. I’m not talking about slice of life or simple mindless battle plots, but something with truly nothing, not even the preemptive “it’s just a roleplay about two characters talking”. Alternatively, those RPs were characters do have something to do, but they do not even indirectly interact, sandboxes to the extent we’re they might as well not even be in the same roleplay. Both of these scenarios just feel so pointless to me, if there’s no real aim story-wise.

Lastly, roleplays about real life divisive events, or heavily incorporating/referencing those events. While I can understand the idea of trying to bring something in the public consciousness for appeal, RP is a hobby, and I struggle to understand the notion that people would want to actively incentivize the powder keg that is, for instance, politics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back