Music I can't be the only person on this site who likes popular music, right?...

Communist Communist I didn't say everyone is trying to be a hipster, you're putting words in my mouth. I said that just because something is mainstream doesn't automatically make it bad. Just as one of many examples, The Beatles's Abbey Road album was a hit right away. Does THAT inherently make it bad? If a song you really liked suddenly got popular, would it automatically get worse? That's all I'm saying. Something CAN be popular and be widely acclaimed. And of course whether you, specifically, like something or not is purely personal choice.

Communist Communist I didn't say everyone is trying to be a hipster, you're putting words in my mouth. I said that just because something is mainstream doesn't automatically make it bad. Just as one of many examples, The Beatles's Abbey Road album was a hit right away. Does THAT inherently make it bad? If a song you really liked suddenly got popular, would it automatically get worse? That's all I'm saying. Something CAN be popular and be widely acclaimed. And of course whether you, specifically, like something or not is purely personal choice.

Most people don't hate pop music because it's mainstream though, they just hate it because it's ridiculous and the person who wrote/sang that has no talent whatsoever, another factor could be that the music is simply crap which isn't such a bad thing nowadays apparently.

Communist Communist Well what about someone like Adele, who has impressive vocals and whose songs are quite well-written? I just don't like slapping a label across everything and saying it's all bad, since I feel like there can always be exceptions either way. And if you personally don't like anything popular, that's perfectly fine, I'm not saying it isn't. I just think it's kind of mean-spirited to say it's all bad and no popular singer has any talent.

Communist Communist Well what about someone like Adele, who has impressive vocals and whose songs are quite well-written? I just don't like slapping a label across everything and saying it's all bad, since I feel like there can always be exceptions either way. And if you personally don't like anything popular, that's perfectly fine, I'm not saying it isn't. I just think it's kind of mean-spirited to say it's all bad and no popular singer has any talent.

Adele actually has talent, but I'm not a great fan of her music. Not saying it's bad though. Daft Punk is nice along with Bruno Mars. Those are great but with the exception of those artists and their songs most popular mainstream musics nowadays is pure crap though.

Last edited:
I like popular garbage! Thing is I like obscure garbage too. When it comes to legitimately good music, it's just good music. Plain and simple. Anyone who dislikes any kind of music straight out or confines themselves to a single genre should be shot.
Chopin's op.25 no. 12, Master of Puppets and Mask Off are all good songs.

Communist Communist Yeah, I like stuff from all of them as well. I can't say I completely blame you though. There IS plenty of bad stuff out there on the radio. Just look at the discographies of Charlie Puth, Meghan Trainor or Drake and that'll prove that. XD

FTR FTR I suppose Mask Off is one of Future's better songs. Low Life with The Weeknd is my ABSOLUTE favorite of his, though.

Seems redundant - popular music wouldn't be "popular music" if they weren't largely popular :closed eyes open smile: I think it's just something that's kinda plainly accepted, such that it's kinda taken for granted, y'know. It becomes that those against popular music becomes more vocal and more prominent. The majority's silent.

• Starboy by The Weeknd & Daft Punk
  • Into You by Ariana Grande
  • Roses by The Chainsmokers & ROZES
  • Low Life by Future & The Weeknd
  • Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift
  • I Took a Pill in Ibiza by Mike Posner
  • Tiimmy Turner by Desiigner
  • 24K Magic by Bruno Mars
  • Sorry by Beyonce
  • When We Were Young by Adele

- Okay, so Starboy is great. Anything Daft Punk is great. My favorite of theirs is 'Instant Crush', but let's be honest, Daft Punk always kill it.
- Low Life is honestly my jam. The Weeknd's vocals in that song. Abel's vocals in any song. My favorites, among his songs, will always be 'Live For', 'Wicked Games' and 'The Hills'. Have you heard Wicked Games? Isn't it amazing?
- I Took a Pill in Ibiza . . . I like the remix, SeeB made it a million times better, I really don't care for the original.
- Tiimmy Turner is incredibleeeee. I wasn't expecting the instrumental bit near the end the first time I listened to it, I stopped and replayed a few times from the jump. Stroke of genius, that was.
- And Sorry is incredible as well. Unapologetic and perfect, and relatable.

There's a reason why popular music is popular. I think, like Miracleist Miracleist said, it's kind of taken for granted. Popular music is . . . well, popular. It's pretty easy to find people who like it. More 'obscure' genres are more discussed online, I think, because you're more likely to run into someone irl who likes 'Let Me Love You' than it is to find someone else who likes 'All Dolled up in Straps' (The National) or 'Sleepwalking' (Bring Me the Horizon). So the internet is kind of a place to connect and obsess with the people who like the less popular stuff you like.
So it's less that people don't like mainstream music (although some people really don't) and more that people prefer to talk about lesser known music.

Sibelle Grey Sibelle Grey
-Yeah, and I like how Starboy is a step up from your average bragging song, pointing out to the audience that it's because of them that he's rich and famous now.
-My personal favorite Weeknd song is probably False Alarm, personally, but he has lots of good stuff under his belt. Starboy, In the Night, I Feel It Coming, The Hills, Love Me Harder with Ariana Grande - all fantastic.
-SeeB definitely made it way better. It completely eliminates the whiny-ness of the original version and makes it much darker, which fits the theme better.
-I was kind of surprised Tiimmy Turner turned out as good as it did. The beat and instrumentation is what makes it so good. The instrumental switch up at the 2:51 mark where the choir really begins to stand out is where it gets absolutely AMAZING for me.
-Sorry is definitely my favorite song off of Lemonade. I'm glad it was the one that really stuck around.

Yeah, I totally agree. For whatever reason, it can be harder for me to get into more obscure stuff. I've heard of Bring Me the Horizon but have never really listened to them, and I'm not even sure I've heard of The National. I actually personally don't like Let Me Love You. If the drop was better I'd probably like it more.

My favorites of this year are definitely all the songs I listed, but I could never pick one single favorite. I like them all too much. :)

Can I mention for a moment how euphoric seeing a live, good concert is? I've seen two concerts last year, specifically Queensryche at Milwaukee's The Rave and Blue Oyster Cult in Skokie. You don't even need drugs to have a good time (Sadly, some people are convinced otherwise...). Hearing good tunes as the night slips away, and especially getting as close as possible to the performers is even better. Remember when people played instruments and you know, where good at it? Or constructing a song that was coherent or at the very least had a good beat and incredible instrumentals? Once the concert ends you feel so happy and that you're on top of the world, and it takes awhile to get away from.

T TheRockInception I certainly get what you mean. Real instruments are always appreciated, and I'm sure a live concert can be an interesting experience. Definitely wouldn't be my kind of place though. I'm pretty reserved and don't like being completely surrounded by people on all sides with so little breathing room, so I'd feel kinda claustrophobic. So I'm perfectly fine with my iPod. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back