I Am Setsuna

Ataraxiom

HMMmmMmMmMmMMmm
Fans of traditional JRPGs ahoy! Square Enix has come up with yet another offering, this time a throwback to the more traditional style of JRPGs - specifically Chrono Trigger (a personal favourite of mine). That said, the game itself is clearly inspired by the latter game, with the three-man party and also the what-appears-to-be dual techs (screenshot in particular referenced that X slash skill that Frog and Crono used to be able to do)... Needless to say, I'm quite sold since I did like Chrono Trigger immensely and this one claims to be inspired by that.

Story-wise, what little description there is about that just screams Final Fantasy X. The following is the official description:

This is the story of Setsuna; a young woman of incredible inner strength and the sacrifice she must make to save the people of her land.
The Island had a custom.

To maintain peace, once a decade, a sacrifice was offered to a fiend on the island.

However, one year, the fiend grew violent before the next sacrifice was due.

Those living on the island were afraid and tried to calm the fiend by offering a sacrifice; Setsuna, chosen because of her powers of enchantment.

Setsuna must leave with her safeguards for the farthest land, where the ceremony of sacrifice will be held.
Isn't it? Setsuna = Yuna. Island = Besaid Island. Fiend = Sin. Powers of enchantment = Summoning. Safeguards = Guardians. Ceremony of sacrifice = Final Summoning. Jeez.

... It tempers my interest, I must confess. It would annoy me to no end if it does end up being too similar to FFX's story. Not that I dislike FFX's story though; it's just that in these sort of games, one of the main attractions for me is the story and if its too similar, then it just breaks the immersion for me (at least, that's my personal take).

Regardless, if it truly is inspired by Chrono Trigger, I'm definitely looking forward to the NG+, the multiple endings and the numerous side quests. All in all, it's something interesting, isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back