• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Hyrule Hunters (reopening for 2 players)

Stok

The Mercenary

Please play before reading

18+ Content Warning: Blood, Gore, Smoking, Drinking
(Nothing more extreme than that I assure you. I just like to get descriptive with my violence)

The Setting:

As the Great Calamity raged for weeks, civilization slowly crumbled in Hyrule. The carnage started at castle town, where not a soul is said to have left alive. The chaos spread throughout central Hyrule, and eventually scratched at it’s edges. The army of monsters which came forth relished in the destruction they caused. Eventually the major towns survived only by the skin of their teeth and the blood of their greatest warriors. Today, they only barely have come back out of the overgrown wilds to meet each other, nearly a hundred years later.

Thanks to The Horsemen, there exists four stables which connect Tabantha to Southeastern Hyrule. They blaze trails on their expertly trained mounts, reclaiming the land for civilized peoples to travel behind. Though they are a formidable group of Equestrians, they are not known as knights, and therefore a minor business is found in their ranks for adventurers. Especially when they find the means to set up a new stable. Thus far, only the Rito and the Hylian villages within Necluda and Faron have been contacted. The Horsemens’ sole mission is to contact the Goron, Gerudo, and Zora, reuniting the people of Hyrule.

Though the roads are clearer than they were at the fall of the kingdom, only the truly hearty survive outside the borders of the towns. The mass of monsters which poured forth from the capitol is nearly identical in number to that fateful day, and they constantly remind the population of this fact. Still, some are hopeful. Townspeople train their young into warriors, hoping they can go forth into the savage wilds and prosper.

Out of Character Info:

Hello, and Thankyou for reading. This will be the second iteration of this roleplay in as many months. I tried to throw it up onto DnD beyond, but the native Players in that arena weren’t quite on the level of literacy that I’d prefer for this campaign. Only one player seemed to do it justice, and I’ve brought them with me to RP nation. So while they will have the first spot, I offer you all three others. They are playing a Rito Barbarian. I myself am a veteran GM, but most of my roleplay has been done outside of stat-based systems. Strictly creative writing and the like. As such, I hope to bring the spirit of those games into the Dice Rolling atmosphere. Throughout the game, Dice will serve as a medium to keep things fair and unpredictable. As opposed to combat and optimization being the whole game in itself, it will take a back seat to character interaction and storytelling.

If you're not fond of writing as a hobby, you probably will not like this roleplay. Try expounding upon your character's train of thought if you get stuck. As well as the details of what they see and what they think about these surroundings with each turn. It may seem strange to some of you that I should elaborate so vastly on this point, but I just explained more or less than same thing to my previous group of players only to have a series of one sentence posts I had to ask to be rewritten.

Character Building:

Please choose only from the canon races within the extended Zelda lore. That is, all past and present canon races. I look forward to seeing your homebrew ideas you’ll apply to each of them. You have free reign here, and may approach me with any Zelda-esc mechanics you may like to apply to your class or otherwise.

None of the shrines from the game will be activated during our roleplay, nor will the towers be surfaced. This is because the roleplay takes place over a hundred years before Link is set to wake up. As such, I will be focusing more on the natural magics and folklore which exists outside of the Hero Story. We’ll be bleeding into the margins of Zelda lore, interacting with fairies, stal, and elemental magics more like the classic games. I will almost entirely be ignoring Shiekah Tech. (Almost!)

Homebrew Mechanics and Participation:

I also have some homebrew survival rules I hope you’ll find interesting. In addition to allowing the optional rules for Exhaustion, I’ll be implementing rules for taking short and long rests. Short rests may only be taken in the event that your character has rations to consume, and must do so to enact one. Long rests may only be taken if the player completes one sleep cycle (eightish hours, all characters are subject to sleep) day or night. At any time barring combat, a character may choose to go hunting. I have a deck of cards with different predetermined animals to hunt worth different amounts of rations (and challenge levels) it’s a fun little minigame.

Players must post within two days of their turn coming up. This means if I post on the 20th, the person after me in rotation must post by the 22nd. A post may also be made in the OOC chat simply saying hello and that you are not able to get to your turn right now. After this you will be allotted another two days or perhaps longer at your request. Now, if you do not contact the group within the allotted time for whatever reason, this does not mean you will be heartlessly cast out of the fold. People have things happen, jobs and school exist, and I am no stranger to responsibility as well. If you have a reasonable excuse, all will be well. However your character may be subject to being left behind in the story, and we will have to retcon whatever may have been going on in the time you were gone.

In character posts must be at least a paragraph each, or three sentences. They must be written in third person. All abilities, stats, and dice rolls must be reported in parentheses at the end of your post, so everything reads as if they didn’t exist at all. Now that you’ve made it through my essay, I would assume you have the attention span required to indulge my many headcanons! Welcome. Please DM me with the filled out version of this character sheet, and we’ll get this party started. Feel free to spruce it up however you like.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Character Name:
Race: (You may use a DND race as a template, please include that race and the Zelda race both in this case)
Class:
HP: (I’ll ask you to keep this updated along with the story)
AC: (Include the armor you have equipped, if any)
Str:
Dex:
Con:
Int:
Wis:
Cha:

Acrobatics (Dex)
Animal Handling (Wis)
Arcana (Int)
Athletics (Str)
Deception (Cha)
History (Int)
Insight (Wis)
Intimidation (Cha)
Investigation (Int)
Medicine (Wis)
Nature (Int)
Perception (Wis)
Performance (Cha)
Persuasion (Cha)
Religion (Int)
Sleight of Hand (Dex)
Stealth (Dex)
Survival (Wis)

Saving Throws
Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

Passive Perception

Weapons (Please include base damage, modifiers, properties, and abilities)

Include spells and cantrips for spellcasters (names only, I will google the descriptions if I have to)

Character Background: (At least three paragraphs)

This character sheet is meant to be a quick-glance version compared to the classic 5e layout. You should still have a cursory knowledge of your character’s class abilities and attacks not listed here, if not a full version of the sheet stored somewhere of your own account. You will be expected to take into account your own reactions and resistances when I assign damage.

That is all, let’s get jiggy with it.

Hey all! Here is my character sheet for the Rito Barbarian Garvii. I started with a legacy DnD race Aarakocra and home-brewed some minor tweaks to fit the Rito in a BOTW setting.

Character Name: Garvii
Race: Rito (Aarakocra base DnD race)
Class: Barbarian / Path of the Totem Warrior (Eagle)
HP: 31/50 (Hit Die: 1d12+2)
AC: 14
Str: 16
Dex: 15
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 12
Cha: 9

Walking Speed: 35ft.
Flying Speed: 60ft.

Acrobatics (Dex): +2
Animal Handling (Wis): +1
Arcana (Int): +1
Athletics (Str): +3
Deception (Cha): -1
History (Int): +1
Insight (Wis): +1
Intimidation (Cha): +2*
Investigation (Int): +1
Medicine (Wis): +4*
Nature (Int): +1
Perception (Wis): +1
Performance (Cha): -1
Persuasion (Cha): -1
Religion (Int): +4*
Sleight of Hand (Dex): +2
Stealth (Dex): +2
Survival (Wis): +4*

Saving Throws
Strength: +6*
Dexterity: +2
Constitution: +5*
Intelligence: +1
Wisdom: +1
Charisma: -1

Passive Perception: 11

Weapons
  • The Roc Feather (Greatsword)
    • Hit +8, Dmg 2d6+3 Slashing
    • Ancestral Rito Greatsword forged with custom metal vents that allow a mighty wielder to benefit from both Str and Dex for attack rolls
  • Boomerang
    • Hit +5, Dmg 1d4+2 Bludgeoning
    • Range: 60(120)
  • Talons (Race Trait)
    • Hit +6, Dmg 1d4+3 Slashing

Spells
  • Wing Flap (Racial Trait)
    • Gust spell
    • Cantrip
    • Full action

Character Background:

Garvii left Rito Village before reaching adulthood. The ease with which the other Rito found their inner song bewildered him. When he listened to his heart, he heard nothing but silence… and it infuriated him. Fearful for how his perspective would impact his family, he left the comfort of home and his beloved little sister Pella to wander alone in search of his song.

The first few years in the wilderness were strenuous but Garvii took to the hermetic lifestyle quickly enough and found a quiet serenity in the rocky bluffs and canyons of the southern Tabantha Frontier while not fighting for his life. He adopted a ferocious fighting style with his ancestral Greatsword, The Roc Feather, to combat the Lizalfos & Bokoblin native to the area, channeling his inner frustrations.

Fighting monsters was always a secondary concern to Garvii who left on a spiritual journey to find peaceful locations to commune with nature. When disturbed, he would drive out the smaller monster groups and camps in a violent rage and then resume his meditation until deciding it was time to move on. This was Garvii’s familiar lifestyle until one day, while crossing the Tabantha Great Bridge to do some trading at the Tabantha Bridge Stable, he found himself ambushed on both sides. This was a new development. The monsters had never organized like this before and clearly he was being targeted as a priority enemy.

Just in case anyone was wondering if this was going anywhere good, why not take a peak into the IC thread. Please do not post anything there without my permission, however!!!!

Edit: I would like to state that I have no problem training up new players to the DND system. You need only ask.

Last edited:
So since I haven't drummed up much interest in this check, I thought I'd extrapolate even further. Where exactly am I going with this plot, you might ask? How do I know this isn't just a chance to self-insert yourself as link and feed us a standard Zelda quest?

Hyrule is merely a backdrop. One that I love, but indeed I admit is rather niche. This particular campaign will be centered around a group of monster hunters who, unlike Link classically, do not have the same amount of plot armor. They are more average warriors of Hyrule, not the stuff of legend. And yet, they will face the growing monster menace despite the odds, regardless of whether or not they have a prophecy backing them up. Facing evil in the face of death, because that's what heroes do. If you like this theme, I implore you to join us. We need only one more player to form the full party!

Still sniffing around for that last hook. Figure I'd ask yea know.

Orikanyo decided not to join, so this roleplay is still open to a fourth member.

Currently we have a Deku Scrub Ranger, a Rito Barbarian, and a Hylian Monk from Lurelin.

Hello there! I've been looking to get back into the swing of things regarding pbp role play, so here I am to show interest! I have a few questions that I want to toss out, though.

If I'm recalling my Zelda lore correctly (which is spotty at best) the Kokiri race isn't around at all. I'm not certain if it's possible to play as such a race, as I was interested in playing a Kokiri Bard and if that would be something you'd consider and welcome. You did mention this takes place 100 years before the events of BotW, so perhaps there is wiggle room for Kokiri to be present.

Another question which involves character creation in general, but what level are we to be starting as? Perhaps I missed that info in your initial post.

Do you want our sheets posted here or sent directly to you? Again, I wasn't too sure if that tidbit was mentioned before, so I figured I'd ask that as well!

BUMBP!!!

We are reopening our adventure party for another player. We have two characters currently out of communication, but are hopeful that they will return. Even still, contingencies must be planned for!!!

I implore you to DM with a character idea STAT!!!!

This is a bump just to let any possible parties know we are still looking for 1 to 2 players. I would be happy to answer any questions you have here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back