• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy [HYPE TRAIN] The Grandos Paradox

Riddle78

Four Thousand Club
"Greetings,and let me tell you a story. Who here has ever wanted to explore a completely original world,of magic,technology,intrigue,and wonder? A world teetering upon the brink of war,with nobody having the stones to actually strike first? Where mage and mundane are in constant competition,just to survive against harsh climes and neighbors?

Then I have the RP for you.
The Grandos Paradox. A fantasy RP set on an original world,in the midst of a magic-fueled industrial revolution. Tension is rapidly approaching the breaking point,and tempers are boiling over seemingly daily. Indeed,the train of conflict here has no brakes. War seems inevitable,and nobody knows just who's going to survive.

In your hands is a sealed letter,bearing the seal of the People's Republic of Jugo. The letter bids you to come to Jugo in an emergency summit to plead to world leaders the plight of the everyman. Will you answer the call,and avert disaster? Or will you refuse,and condemn your existence to oblivion?"

The Grandos Paradox is an RP that I've spent years constructing,and I attempted to run once before. It crashed and burned due to people flaking,but I have high hopes this time. The RP will follow the group of players as they attempt to avert a war that would surely bring an end to civilization as you know it. Along the way,you will encounter people from all walks of life,of all dispositions,and learn much of yourself.

So,you game?

@Solitaire

If you want to see more,you could search up the Grandos Paradox on the site,and take a gander at that. There will be changes,of course,but many things will also be the same.

Choo-choo~!

The hype train has no brakes!

Choo-choo~!

In all seriousness,thank you all for your interest. Character applications will begin no later than the coming Friday. Also,a question. Should this be a Thread RP (One thread for all in-character shenanigans) or a Forum RP (One subforum per continent)?

Depends, how big to you plan for the roleplay to be? I personally think it's hard to keep switching threads to go to different locations. What if someone didn't know and gets left behind wondering where everyone went? Although if this roleplay does have a lot of lore, I think that a forum roleplay would suit it. A sub-forum for lore, a sub-forum for character applications, and a sub-forum for the roleplay.

Perhaps, for the roleplay, you can always split it up? Whenever we finish an arc or something similar to that, you close the thread, change the prefix, and create another thread for the next chapter? Just suggestions. If you prefer, a thread roleplay would be okay as well. But I suspect that it may become quite crowded.

I think a Forum RP would be best. A new thread in the IC subforum per chapter,methinks. So,as far as structure is concerned...

-Dossiers. Contains all character entries. Will work as the signups.

-Codex. A one-stop-shop for all setting information.

-OOC Discussion. Self-explanitory.

-Chronicles. The in-character section,with a new thread for every new chapter.

How's that sound?

It's nice to know I have an audience. There are enough people here for the story... Should you all keep at it. My RP's have a notorious history of people simply... Vanishing. Cessation of postage. I dearly and truly hope this won't happen here. I'll begin construction immediately.

The best thing about forum rp's is that they can't die, you have every possibility to revamp this one as many times as you want

However,a story is built upon the momentum built by a group of characters. Losing one group of characters is like losing an entire story,and having to start again.

The Codex is up,and will be updated until all presently required information is in there. Current information is regarding geography,the four nations,and Dagnone.

http://www.rpnation.com/threads/the-grandos-paradox-codex.60371/

Happy reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty detailed!

I've several question regarding magic:

1. Will mages need to carry a decent amount of reagents on their person in order to perform any spell?

2. Without the reagents, are mages just like mundanes? They may have the Spark of Magic, but without the reagent and a magic instrument, will they be able to cast spells?

3. Would you say reagents are like bullets to a gun, making the magic instrument itself useless without it?

Thinking here... if reagents are also being used as currency, that means when a mage performs a spell, it's just like burning money :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Without Reagent,the spell has zero energy,and thus,cannot exist. In a pinch,a mage can use normal things around them as fuel,but they don't get very much energy from it for their spells. Most mages would use their money for fuel,since the currency of Grandos is gold,silver and platinum,measured by the gram.

Without a Reagent,magic cannot be done,so someone with the Spark is effectively a mundane when they lack appropriate materials. The focus can be anything. There's nothing special about them,besides the fact that they can be pointed. A tree branch is a more reliable focus than a golf ball,for example,because the branch has a definite point,while the ball does not.

A focus for a mage is generally chosen for utility's sake. A staff can be used as a reliable self-defense weapon without magic,a wand can be used to invade an attacker's nose,eye or ear,not to mention throat,and the list goes on from getting at that high shelf to simply poking a corpse to get a reaction. The focus is 100% mundane. All it exists for is a safe means to point a spell in a direction.

This tiger will be away for the next three days and back on August 25th, which is a Monday. :sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back