• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunter's Moon: The Sin & Sentence [IC] [CLOSED]

"...I hope it is no issue if I still go ahead to the shrine and give him a short prayer."

"You may, of course." responded Vixas, before looking back past Takato as he heard Henderson. "It takes time, Henderson. Patience." he stated, before looking back into the tomb. Riberta had finally straightened back up, breathing heavily as she held the trident in both hands now. He glanced to Leakhena next, before commenting. "...The armor fits you well, Leakhena." he said, with a nod. He then herded them back out of the tomb, before turning about and closing it back with a few more words and hand movements. The tomb's doors shifted and soon slid shut. "Now...to find Valeria. Follow me, everyone. And stay quiet. Spectres lurk below."

He lead them across the room, floating towards a set of double doors which opened even before he reached them. "Quickly. We wish to be out of this place as soon as possible." he said, looking back to the group as he moved. The group followed, most of them jogging after the demon as he effortlessly moved about. Down a dark hallway, covered in blackened stone and rock, and soon they found themselves arriving at a series of staircases. Descending deep into the ground. "Watch your step." he muttered, before beginning the descent. Down, down they would go. Several stories beneath the surface...perhaps even miles below. The smooth black stone would turn to rough black rock, featuring ancient markings from an era long past. They found demon skeletons, and more of the black growths that they had seen above. The Abyss's influence stretched far down below.

Soon, Vixas paused. "...I sense magic on this level." he stated, looking to a nearby door made of what appeared to be rotting wood and iron. He carefully pushed the door open, and floated down a blackened hallway. The group followed, weapons at the ready. Prepared to slay anything that came near. Several more hallways were traversed, then rooms. Some appeared to be old sleeping quarters, while others were simple storage rooms. Large wooden barrels lay about, shattered and rotting. Potentially used for storing liquids like wine and ale.

Back into another long black hallway, he stopped at one singular door. There was no window at all, and the door appeared new. "...Odd." he stated, before waving a hand. Whatever spell had been cast on the door was broken immediately, as the door was ripped utterly off its hinges. The room inside was dark, and only the supernaturally inclined of the group could see.

The others...they could hear whimpering.

Hudson watched Henderson from over his shoulder as he made his exit, hoping the gluttonous bastard would choke on a bone splinter to make things easier. Nevertheless he ate not one but two, prompting the hunter to watch from the corner of his eye on his walk. There appeared to be no change, but the hunter would choose to stay well away from that freak from now on.

Traversing down the tombs was eerie yet uneventful, his sword drawn and his lips shut as Hudson was prepared to deal with what may attack. The significance of a newer look door was rather lost on him, but he was pleased to see Vixas demolish it for easier entry.

The chamber they found themselves in was so dark and spacious that not even the small flickering lights of Velin's Tears could gain much purchase in it. But what he did hear was whimpering, barely audible. "Hello? Witlock?" Hudson spoke up, taking a step forward as his chains rattled.

Takato made his way to the shrine, decorated plenty, but in a modest manner. Knowing their time is short, he decided to opt for the Golden Radiance Spirit mantra, aimed for not only Zazriel, but also himself and the party. After about a minute or so, he was finished, and clasped his hands. He looked to the shrine and remembered Vixas' words. He bowed towards the shrine, in respect. Though Zazriel was not a Douean, he shared the spirit of one. He would carry his robe and staff with honor and respect.

Soon after returning to the party, they were herded out, and they made their way through to find Weston's daughter. He was among those that managed to more effortlessly follow the floating demon, though remaining careful, given their previous battle. As they walked, Takato could feel the power emanating from the robe and staff even as it sat on his back. It was astounding to him, feeling such an aura constantly.

Soon enough, after some time, they finally arrive... somewhere. Takato could sense that whoever was whimpering was human. Knowing there's folks here who'd be more familiar with Valeria, he decided to keep watch in case something happened.

Gwen could do little more than grab her waterskin from her waist, trying to regain her strength. It was then that Riberta, clad in an armour that, to be frank, Gwen thought was a rather fitting look for her. Demonic. "I care more about your plans, elf queen. Especially after that little conversation between you and your shadow." Gwen could do nothing but scowl, looking up towards the lycanthrope in what could only be described as disgust. "So what, that you can make your own to smash it down to dust once more?"

Gwenaelle, with a weary, trembling form, rose up to her feet. "Do not waste my time with talk, beast." Were her only words to Riberta, not even sparing her a glance over her shoulder as she made her own way to the exit, along the way picking up the sword of her fallen shadow, and the rifle which she had thrown away for their duel.

She had barely even witnessed Senya's leaving, only noticing once the rest of the group had shouted their laments at her departure. It was... something she wished not to dwell on. Not now, at any rate. Her gait was slow, and lumbering, but she had to maintain her image, gritting her teeth behind her lips.

"...The armor fits you well, Leakhena."
Not a word comes from her mouth; only a sigh is given as she's still upset. The finishing touches are being put in place as she fits her army helmet over Adriel's for extra protection. It's a little surprising it fits, but then again it was large on her since it was meant for a man. One last pull of the straps, and it's done. With how she's equipped now, with her army uniform and gear, it looks as if Adriel rose from the dead and enlisted in the Escarian army. She'd laugh at that if she could see herself, but also if she still wasn't distraught over Senya's fate. Still content with being silent, she quietly shuffles behind Vixas and the others down the stairwell, only stopping occasionally as there's something itching and aching across her face. It's absolutely annoying since her entire face feels like it's writhing on its own. She's not sure if it's the fight from earlier, slamming into a wall, or if it's the fact Adriel's helmet had been laying in a tomb for who knows how long covered in all sorts of soot and dust. Whatever the case is, it's bothering her immensely and she might just ask one of the others to take a look at her. Though once they stopped at the oddly new door, she leans over to Vincent as a sudden realization comes to mind.

"... I think I should stay outside for this. Seeing another demon is not what she needs right now." whispers Leakhena as she hears the whimpering also.

She steps off to the side of the door and takes her helmet off, still bothered by the itching and aching. With one hand she conjures fire to light up the hallway better but also to make her face more visible. "Say... is something wrong with my face? It's been hurting..." she asks.

As Jakob held Mariette, he watched as his friend's face began to shift and change strangely. He tried shaking Mariette to wake her up, but he got no response from her. But something else happened soon enough. Senya had lost her duel with her Shadow, and now had been... possessed by it. Jakob couldn't believe it. He tried to grab his shotgun next to him to shoot at the shadow, but it escaped through a portal of some kind. He was too late. Senya was gone. "...FUCK!" he shouted bitterly. And just as he set his shotgun down again, Mariette regained consciousness. He quickly moved to help her get off the ground, but her face... it had changed. There were now strange growths on it. Cassandra reacted with shock, and Mariette, in a moment of realization, shouted to everyone that they should leave. Indeed, the guide quickly explained that the bones of the titanic creature could corrupt people. "Oh, come on! Why you didn't tell us sooner?!" he shouted while grabbing his bag of guns and shotgun. Not only they had lost a member, but now they were exposed to corruption. The last thing they needed at the moment.

The rest grabbed the remaining relics of the ancient demons, except for Jakob, who was content with just his guns. "Let's go..." he said while following the guide down the path to find Valeria. He sometimes looked over his shoulder to look at Mariette, wondering if she was okay with the corruption affecting her appearance.

As they descended, they finally arrived to the destination that Jakob so desperately wanted to find: Valeria's cell. He exchanged a few looks with those who were involved in the Grimtham incident to some extent, before stepping into the darkness of the dungeon. He could hear her whimpering and soon he could see her: chained to the wall, a shadow of her former self. It was heart wretching for him to see her like this. Jakob remained quiet for a moment before kneeling close to her. "...Hey there... ma'am..." he said, with a faint smile on his face. "I hope you remember me, Val... I came to get you out of this cursed place."

Valeria was resting against the wall on the far side of the cell, curled up with her knees pressed against her chest, from what the more supernaturally inclined could see. Hudson paused just inside the room, allowing Jakob to move in closer. Meanwhile Cassandra peered inside from where she stood outside the door. She didn't think it was the best of ideas for her to actually enter and try to talk to her. Especially after Grimtham. She gave Mariette a sort of remorseful expression, before gently taking her hand. "You should go in there with them. You were part of the inquiry. It may comfort her." said Cassandra softly.

Vincent looked to Leakhena, and his expression changed to one of shock. "Your face is...healing. You're starting to look more human!" he said. Riberta glanced over, tilting her head. "...Well, I'll be damned." she said, a bit surprised.

Back in the cell, Jakob moved close and squatted next to Valeria before speaking. Which didn't prove to be a great idea. She recoiled at the sound of his voice, scooting backwards across the floor till her back was pressed against the other wall. "...S-Stay the fuck a-away from me...Just...Just let me s-suffer alone..." she muttered softly. She was crying, it seemed. "...I'm s-sick of the illusions...I'm sick...I'm s-sick of all of t-this..."

Last edited:
Jakob's growing sadness and worry over Valeria's current condition only grew as she recoiled from him. What has Sazak done to her? Has that cursed demon taken Jakob's shape before, just to torment his friend? The detective took a deep breath, before giving her another smile. "It's okay, Val, it's really me." He carefully put his hand on his bag, never breaking eye contact with her, and grabbed something out of it. His harmonica. In an attempt to prove it was him, but most importantly, to calm her down, Jakob began to play that same tune he was so fond of. A reminder of a calmer time during the Inquiry's adventure. He played it for a few moments, before putting the instrument away. Looking back at her with the same smile Jakob always had. "Come on, girl...It's time to get you out of here."

Last edited:
At Cassandra's encouragement, Mariette stepped carefully into the room while Jakob played the harmonica. Between the sentimental tune and the overwhelming pity she felt for Valeria, the Countess was on the verge of tears. Just what could she possibly say? All she wanted to do was comfort her, but she knew that any attempt would only reinforce Valeria's paranoia.

She sat down on the floor against the cell wall on the opposite side from the Inquisitor. Unlike Jakob, Mariette's grief wasn't covered by a smile. This was not a cheerful reunion, like what had occurred when she reunited with Jakob days earlier. When the music stopped, she spoke. "M- Mademoiselle, I am also here... But, you do not have to go, if you don't believe in us," she said, giving a glance to Jakob.

"If you think us illusions, sleep and be rid of us. I know a spell that can grant it, and ward away nightmares. We can carry you... and you would awaken somewhere safer than this, in the light. Y- You have nothing to lose if I am lying," Mariette begged. "Please."

Cassandra listened quietly, as Mariette attempted to convince Valeria that they were there to actually help her instead of tormenting her. She then decided to try something herself. She entered the room quietly, sitting next to Mariette, and soon spoke. "...Valeria...its me, Cassandra Bainbridge."

Valeria went silent. Cassandra took that as a good thing. Sazak probably never used her image to torture Valeria, likely using only her friends from the Inquiry. "Listen to me, Witlock...This isn't an illusion. That bastard isn't here. This group was sent to bring you back to the mortal realm."

There was a few moments of silence, before Valeria spoke again. "...N-Not an illusion...?..." she said, shakedly. The trio could hear the overwhelming emotion in her voice. The chain jingled, as Valeria slowly inched away from the wall she pressed against, reaching out to touch Jakob. As soon as her fingertips gently touched Jakob's arm, she burst into tears yet again. She promptly grabbed onto Jakob, hugging him tightly. It certainly was no illusion.

Jakob froze in place as Valeria embraced him, but after a few seconds, he returned the gesture. Hugging her as tight as possible. "It's alright. We're here now, old friend... Let's get you out of this Hell." He looked away for a moment, wiping a few tears before looking at the chains holding Valeria in place. He grabbed the strong and well kept chains, and, using his werewolf strength, he broke them in half. "We'll get the shackles off as soon as we can." he said, while he gently lifted Valeria to her feet.

Once it had been confirmed that they had actually found Valeria, Hudson stood silently as the others tried to comfort her. Yet after everything the woman had been through it was clear that she was hysterical, grabbing onto Jakob and bursting into tears. He tightened his fists, though he soon lowered the brim of his hat and started to walk out of the cell. "I'll be outside. To stand guard." he said in monotone. Seeing her like this was taking him back to that day in the hospital, and the sooner he could forget those days the better.

Takato, standing watch, looked over to Leakhena when she asked if something was wrong with her face. He was surprised to find that, well, she had a face again! Takato didn't make any remarks, but the demon could see how surprised and relieved he was to see her in such a way. Remembering how she reacted back at her place, this was only a good thing for her.

Meanwhile, he noted the shift in aura within Valeria, as the others spoke with her. He hoped she hadn't suffered too much trauma down here. He saw Hudson join him on watch duty, hat lowered and fists tightened. He turned his head and concentrated on what was now his half of the watch.

"Your face is...healing. You're starting to look more human!"
"...What?" Leakhena replies flatly. This can't possibly be right. Tariun did tell her that her aura was starting to feel much like hers, that of an ascended demon, but so quickly? She didn't even think it was true, only that it was just pep talk to make her feel better about herself. Leakhena hesitates for a moment as she suddenly inhales from some spot just above her lips, wearing a look of surprise just like Vincent has, before she starts rubbing down her face slowly just to check for herself.

"Oh gods..." she mumbles to herself as she feels her newly grown nose. "Oh my gods..."

Vincent isn't lying. Her eyes aren't just empty sockets anymore, her nose is starting to regenerate, her mouth is getting smaller, her cheeks are forming again, and her jaw's beginning to protrude. It's all coming back; the way she looked before Thorgran happened, the way she used to look on her portrait back at home. Though all the damage done to her face is still present. Her lips still have strips of torn and chapped skin hanging off them, there's still patches of exposed muscle around her cheeks where Thorgran had bit her skin off, and all the cuts and scars are just as deep as they were previously. Her face resembling a human's now, while a joyous occasion to her since she's no longer hideously ugly, also carries the side-effect of highlighting just how utterly mangled and beaten to hell and back she really was in spite of her previous demonic features. Nonetheless, she begins smiling warmly back at Vincent, happy she finally doesn't resemble a monster anymore.

But soon enough, her smile fades. There's far more pressing matters at hand and it's best she stays out of sight of Valeria. So, she hides behind Riberta's large frame and waits until its time to move out.

As soon as she was free and standing, Valeria made careful steps across the cell towards Mariette and Cassandra as they stood as well. It looked as though Valeria hadn't walked very much during her extensive stay in the cell. She also seemed to be barefoot...and her clothes were ragged. As she neared the pair, she eventually reached out and embraced Mariette as well. "...I-I'm...I'm s-sorry...So-So very sorry...f-for everything that...t-that happened..." she managed to get out, through her tears and sniffling. Cassandra simply gazed down at Valeria, as she hugged Mariette tightly. "...Everything's alright, Witlock..." she said softly, before looking to the door as Hudson spoke and moved out of the room. She then called out to Vincent. "Vincent, do we have any spare clothes?...She's going to need them." Vincent swung his pack off his back, and began to rifle through its contents in the dim light.

Mariette returned Valeria's embrace, but couldn't fully accept her apology. "No... I'm terribly sorry, mademoiselle. It should not have taken this long to find you. You should never have been sent here to begin with. ...I- I should have done more, but I was unfaithful, a coward, and a fool. But I am here now, and I will do anything I can to aid your escape. You, Jakob, and the others the Church sent in for you."

Eventually, Vincent entered the room, carrying some clothes for Valeria to wear. Valeria released Mariette slowly, attempting to calm herself long enough to change clothes. And soon, she was redressed, moving towards the open doorway where the others were. "Witlock...fair warning." said Cassandra as she followed behind her with Mariette and Jakob. "...We have a few demons with us who are helping us...They're friendly, so there's no need to be afraid of them." Valeria hesitated, pausing just at the threshold of the doorway, before eventually stepping out into the hall where the others were. The others could now see her well enough in the dim light of the hallway, covered in scrapes and dirt from being confined in the cell for so long. She visibly shook, either from the cold or from being so nervous about it all.

Riberta gazed down at Valeria for a few moments, her expression shifting a bit beneath her helmet. She pitied the girl, whom had been trapped in this dark hole for thirty abyssal years to suffer Sazak's torture and torment. Valeria stopped in the hallway, looking slowly about at the others whom were standing outside. She remained silent, but her eyes spoke volumes. Shifting rapidly between the members of the group. Likely suspicious of everyone that she didn't already know.

Hudson had his back to the wall near the cell door, using its berth as a natural divider between himself and Takato. When Valeria finally leaves her cell he straightens up, avoiding her gaze for fear of what he might see in it. Damn that Sazak - to be so ruthless and cruel to those who merely protect what they love, all for the sake of his superiority complex. The hunter only hoped that with Valeria's help they could put an end to it all.

"Let's get out of here - quickly." he spoke as he adjusted his hat yet again. "Gods know what it means to stick around."

Carefully, Leakhena peeks from behind Riberta to get a better look at Valeria's condition. For someone who's been stuck in a pit here in the Northern Wastes for who knows how long, she honestly expected her to look far more haggardly and starved. Then again, Sazak prefers his playthings in near-perfect condition so that he may break them himself. Either way, the faster they get her out of here, the better. At least to stop her from shifting into monstrosities like the rest of those in the wastes, if anything. Though the more she looks at her, the more Valeria's eyes catch her attention; or rather, something buried in them. The way they look speak volumes more about how broken and torn apart she is more than anything else about her appearance, and it frightens Leakhena to her core since she's seen this very type of soullessness once. Her heart sinks to the pit of her stomach as the potentially permanent extents of Sazak's torture begin to reveal itself to her the more she looks at them. They carry the exact same emptiness she herself had when she first arrived in the mortal realm, and she remembers just how horribly she managed to deal with it all.

The poor girl... If only they got here sooner.
"Let's get out of here - quickly." he spoke as he adjusted his hat yet again. "Gods know what it means to stick around."
"I agree." she responds. "I can also spare my coat if she's still cold."

Takato merely nodded at the others as they proposed they get out of her as soon as possible. Looking at Valeria, he was glad to see that she wasn't in as rough a shape as she could've, but her eyes told a different story entirely. The sight prompted him to glance over to Leakhena, before looking back at Valeria.

He just adjusted his hat, and tried giving her a soft smile, one akin to the ones Weston had given him, before going back to keeping watch for the group.

Gwen looked over towards Valeria as she stumbled out of the room. Her initial thoughts drifted as to 'why did we need to bring her out of here, again?' Yet they shifted soon to something more theoretical. Is this what the Lust palace would have had in store for her if not for the, honestly, exceedingly lucky series of events that she had found herself following? Is that what would end up of the queen? Tortured and left to rot by those who once looked up to her, and those she would have called friends?

She placed her hand against the wall, steadying herself against it. "Let's." She seemed to agree with Hudson, for once. "I don't want to start to sprout horns if we stay in the shadow of that thing for too long."

Once the others had emerged into the hallway as well, Vixas spoke up once more from where he had been waiting a short distance from them. "I am glad to see she is physically alright...Cassiel may be able to assist her with her mental state once she is safely back in the mortal realm." Valeria looked absolutely terrified of Vixas for a moment, but with a reassuring gesture from Jakob, she seemed to calm herself. He's friendly...he's f-friendly...

Vixas motioned for the group to follow. It was time to depart, and quickly. They didn't need to hang around here longer than they had to. As they walked, Valeria kept looking amongst the group. Watching them all. Paranoia still rampant. Vincent soon spoke up, as they walked. "Witlock...Do you...Do you remember what Sazak did--" he asked, before she cut him off. "I r-remember everything he d-did...Everything he m-made me do." she stated, almost spitting it out. "I have...m-most of his m-memories...All the h-horrible things he's d-done...B-But I know what y-you were going to a-ask me about."

She glanced to him for a moment. "...T-The artifacts...The ring and e-executioner blade...Both are supposed to be a-at Taranoch's p-palace in Dis...." she stated. Vincent's eyes widened. Taranoch's palace? Of course they were. Taranoch wanted the items, so where else would they be? He looked to Hudson. "...You know what this means, right?" he asked, before looking to the others. "...We need to get to Dis."

The journey back upstairs was rather long, just as their journey downward had been. Vixas had slowed a bit, so that the group and Valeria could keep up. But as they neared the Keep's main level, something felt off. Some of them felt two presences nearby, but they weren't shadows. They were instead powerful demons of sort, and they simply awaited them outside the Keep's main entrance.

"...We, unfortunately, have more guests." stated Vixas, as he moved towards the doors. The group prepared themselves, looking to one another as they walked. Valeria was moved to the back, being protected by Cassandra and Mariette as Jakob walked before them. And as soon as the Keep's door's were opened, they could see them.

A tall, masculine demon, whom looked to be more of an abomination than demon, stood by a slightly shorter demon whom appeared to be painted solid white save for some red streaks and splotches. The masculine demon was oddly covered in splotches of fur, and bore a wide, savage looking grin. The other, female demon wore an odd hat, which covered her eyes and the top of her head.

"Ah, Vixas. A...pleasure as always." stated the female demon, a slight tone of disgust marking her voice as she spoke of the ascended demon. "And the group I've been hearing so much about across the Abyss. I see you found Valeria...as I knew you would." She then motioned to herself, her fingertips touching her chest. "Allow me to introduce ourselves. I am Kellea, the Demon of Perfection. And this is my cohort, Wallace. We are servants to Lord Ralvas, the Icon of Pride." she stated, motioning to the demon next to her as she introduced him as well.

Takato could feel the presence of the two demons, and he didn't like what he was feeling. He could feel the strength behind their frames, and instinctually positioned himself in a way that would prevent them for getting to Valeria directly. He entered a loose fighting stance thereafter, and gave the two dirty looks, though ever briefly he felt as though they glanced at him.

Leakhena's hand hovers above Irin's sword as Kellea speaks. Tariun mentioned nothing about these two coming to assist them in freeing Valeria, so there's really only one other reason why they're here; to make her stay. The fact they're serving Ralvas of all people really only confirms things. She sighs heavily since she’s not in the mood for another battle right now.

"Look, if you're here for a fight, then can we make this quick?" she says, not wanting to waste any more breath on a pride demon. "We're a bit busy and we have more important things to do."

Last edited:
The group's path was blocked by, who would've guessed, even more demons. Pride, this time. It forced Gwen to roll her eyes, audibly groaning. "Ackh, can't we just, I don't know, compliment your looks and be on our way? I'm getting increasingly sick of this cold." Her eyes wandered over the taller, masculine demon.

...Before she turned her head to Henderson. "There aren't more of you down here, are there?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back