• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Hunt for the Thessalhydra (Stranger Things D&D)

OOC
Here

Error 420

One Thousand Club
Sir Tristan, Sheriff of Hawkins, most honoured knight of the five realms, looks out from atop the towering walls of Hawkins, into the moonlit forest which seems to exhale darkness in the winter wind. His trusted eagle, Bloomingale, takes off into the breeze, not with his typical quarry of rodentia, but with a mission, to find heroes. While the old castle town slumbers peacefully below him, Sir Tristan watches the foothills of the Wabash mountains carefully. Beyond his sight, countless glowing eyes watch back, steaming nostrils blowing against the winter breeze, black blood dripping from one massive, gaping maw. Great evil is coming to Hawkins.

He retreats to the town hall, where, in the cover of night, you three are gathered. All of you are brought under different promises.

Xoco Sunfury is deep in contemplation of the druidic texts of the Circle of Twilight. In their infinite spirals of shifting times and energies, they give a much less cryptic and far more fearful omen than usual. They tell you of great evil, gnashing teeth and searching eyes, a dark spirit alien to the forest. Your tribe will suffer great horrors if it is undefeated. A black eagle arrives promptly as you finish reading the omen, a letter in its beak. You know this eagle, as well as many of the birds of the woods. It calls Sir Tristan its master. It drops the note at your feet. It reads "Meet me at the town hall at midnight tonight. The forest is in danger. - Sheriff Tristan" .

Y'Menkos is in the midst of a minor festival of the moon. While the public of Hawkins is largely unaware of the Moonmaiden Selune, children take great pleasure in hearing you recount tales of Selune and her sister Shar. The moon is bright yellow above, which you know as an annual show of Selune's grace, but the festival refers it as the Hunter's moon, and they view it as an omen of good game in the coming months. For a single moment, you see a black shadow race across the moon. You figure it as a trick of the light, but the thought lingers in your mind. A town guardsman approaches you soon after, handing you a letter without a word. It reads "Meet me at the town hall at midnight tonight. Hawkins is in need of your aid. - Sheriff Tristan".

Adron is at a local tavern, attempting to drink in peace, only to be surrounded by drunken festival-goers. However, among the raucous celebrations are low murmurs of danger, of the Sheriff seen pacing the halls, muttering below his breath, consulting with ancient texts late at night. It's at this time that you're passed a letter by a figure you can't make out, and is gone before you can process it. "Meet me at the town hall at midnight tonight. 100 gold pieces if you can solve a certain problem for me.". No name is signed, but you're unable to refuse such a high price point, regardless of the job in question.

It's midnight now, and while the Feast of the Hunter's Moon continues pounding away outside, you three meet in the barely lit town hall, which is usually alight with conversation and a massive fireplace. Now the coals are barely embering, and the massive hall is empty, aside from two guards, and a dark figure in a throne at the far side of the massive hall. The figure snaps their fingers and the fireplace comes to life, revealing himself to be the Sheriff of Hawkins.

Xoco and Y'Menkos, although not native of Hawkins, recognize the usually joyous and jubilant Sheriff as deeply distressed. Although often seen as aloof and possibly dim-witted, his sorrowful eyes are filled with tempered determination. His shrunken stature doesn't quite stand up to the stories Adron has heard spread among criminal communities, of a powerful knight in shining white armour, with the power of armies. Instead, in his place, is an old man in wrinkled robes, his muscular body bent in on itself in a pitiful manor. It's unusual to see him out of his armor, and now you can see what he's concealing. Along his chest, visible under the robes, is a massive bandaged area, blood and pus oozing to the surface of the yellowed bandage.

"Gentlemen. I've called you here in a time of great need. I understand you may be quite busy, so I'll cut to the point. Hawkins, and the forest surrounding her, is in great danger. Hundreds of years ago, the Five Realms were attacked by a monster known as the Thessalhydra, a beast with eight heads and venomous teeth. It claimed thousands of lives in that first attack, only to be turned away by a circle of ancient druids known as the Circle of Twilight. The Circle sealed the beast away, and it was forgotten to the sands of time, as well as the druids, who were hunted down two-hundred years ago for their use of dark magic. It seems as though the seal has been broken. The old mill down on the Wabash river was found torn to shreds. Nothing remained of the workers. I went out with my best men to find the beast, and I fought the Thessalhydra. There were fifty of us. Only I survived. It has eight heads, around a massive mouth ringed with teeth, each head being that of a fearsome monster, including a lion, a dragon, and a beholder. Most dangerous among these heads are the head of a gorgon and the head of a basilisk. My men were all turned to stone when looking upon the Gorgon. I managed to evade the monster's attacks, and disable the gorgon's head by stabbing out its eyes. However, the basilisk gnashed at me, filling the wound with its venom. I turned the beast back, but its magical venom is slowly killing me. The only way to return my men from stone to flesh is with the head of the gorgon, and the only way to cure my venom is with the head of the basilisk. I will give you all 100 gold pieces to slay the beast and return their heads to me. If the Thessalhydra is given time to heal, it will not only destroy Hawkins, but the five realms as well. I'm depending upon you. The world is depending upon you."

Y’Menkos’ took a slight breath as he collected himself. The tiefling’s mind raced as he took in what Sir Tristan had imparted upon himself and these two new faces. His first thought was to his original reasons for staying here. With such danger abound, the call of his goddess had now revealed its nature. To know his purpose here was an immense comfort. Then, mere moments later, his eyes flicked to the knight’s still bleeding wound. He frowned, obvious unease behind his eyes. Y’Menkos was not in the business of pitying knights... in fact, he often considered them complicit in much of the world’s ailments. And yet, if a knight so respected by this town had been so injured, and lost so many men... what danger would the beast- the Thessalhyda, as Sir Tristan called it- do to civilians, to the commoners of Hawkins, to the inhabitants of all the planes? What strife would the monster bring? A familiar feeling burned within him- an unwavering desire to combat that which threatened the happiness of all. The tiefling gritted his teeth as his tail twitched- a sign of deep thought- before he was able to steel himself.

“Well. It would appear as though your note to me was understated, good knight. I am bound to assist where I can, Sir Tristan. I will not hesitate to help the people of Hawkins.” Y’Menkos said, confidence in his voice. “Selune willing, your beast will be slain.”

Xoco listened to the withered sheriff's recounting of the attack with wide eyes. A beast so monstrous and vast, that not even the guardians of death's veil could destroy it? But if they sealed it back then, perhaps there were other magics used and archived by the druids that could help defeat the monster once and for all. If they were the ones who sealed it away, surely they would know more about its weaknesses than anyone. If only they hadn't been wrongly massacred...they would still be around to help.

Xoco whispered a brief Druidic prayer of rest for the Circle of Twilight. All of that knowledge and wisdom would be lost to the ages if the wild hadn't chose her to live on their legacy.
Her fist clenched, briefly sparking with ghostly-white embers. Their passing would not be in vain.

"Vengeance will be swift. No monster will defile this land while I still draw breath. I will see this monster dead, if it costs me my life."

She thought about her people, sequestered in the woods with danger on all sides, isolated from salvation.

"Also, Sir Tristan, if necessary, I can negotiate the cooperation of my people. Safe passage through the forest by strangers is something they rarely allow. I also have a personal sanctuary deep in the forest's darkest corner, stocked with ancient lore. There might be something useful that could give insight into felling this monstrosity."

Screenshot_20191229-194300_Chrome.jpg
Adron

Adron paused before the townhall, to look up at the moon once before heading inside. "You know old friend, I don't understand 'alf of this crap, but blood may be spilled once more", he said, before crumpling up the mysterious message. 100 gold wasn't something he truly could fathom, but he remembered 1 of those coins feeding him for a month. So there was really nothing to say other than he had to take the job on. Although the barkeep did seem worried, telling the veteran fighter to be extra cautious. Generally, he used that old man as a litmus test. Anything that caught his attention, alerted him far more than promises of money he couldn't even count up to.

Upon entering the bleak desolate hall, he was greeted by a trio of figures set against the embers of a dying flame. Along with two others in the main procession area, which people used to go up give speeches during town hall meetings. Adron spit at the ground and sauntered toward them as a flick of his employer's fingers brought the flame to life. Instinctively, he reached for his blade, only to find it was just lightning the fire. Or so it appeared he thought. Never trust a magician. You never know what he's hiding up his sleeves

Adron tilted his head though, because this man had no sleeves to speak of. None the less, he was cautious approaching the druid and tiefling. Adron's focus was fixed upon the elderly knight, whom he came to respect and wished to do battle with someday. Only to find a crippled man with a wound that may yet take his life. He crossed his arms and glared daggers at the man as he recounted the history of the beast. Words he didn't understand flew at him. Gorgon, Selune, and negotiate were among many of the words that buzzed around his head as they all spoke in terms he didn't fully grapple with.

"Sir knight, it has come to my attention that you, my ultimate prey have been brought to your knees. Then SO BE IT, I will vanquish this gergon thing, bring forth your army and defeat them MYSELF", he said while gesturing toward his chest. "I don't know what the heck this forest guy is saying or this strange creature means by saloon, but if beating this monster means I get to fight you, then by the gods of carnage I will bring that creature down".

The proud knight silently nods his head in admiration and thanks to Y'Menkos and Xoco, listening attentively to the young mercenary. A silent moment passes, before Sir Tristan chuckles softly.

"So be it. I don't particularly care what reason you have for helping me, but know that I won't be an easy target." He rises to his feet, assuming once more the stature of a hero, reaching his hand to his waist to produce his blade of legend, the bane of evil, the sword of dark: Winter's Dark Bite. It seems to almost consume the light of the fire, being pitch black despite being directly in the light. He throws the massive sword deftly to Adron, who catches it. Despite its weight, it's quite dexterous. "You'll need this to defeat the Thessalhydra."

A +1 Greatsword, forged by ancient mystics to seal away monsters from the realm of twilight. It's a +3 Greatsword against abominations, like the Thessalhydra.
  • Damage: 2d6+1
  • Damage Type: Slashing
  • Properties: Heavy, Two-Handed
  • Weight: 12

"As for you, Xoco Sunfury, you may not know this, but your clan's territory is where the Circle of Twilight made its home. While I'm sure your sanctuary is well-stocked, you may want this." He reaches into a Bag of Holding and produces an amulet you instantly recognize: the Twilight Lotus. Its insignia is referenced in many of the more cryptic texts of Twilight. You're unsure of its true power, but you gather from your knowledge that it is some sort of key. "Perhaps with this, you can find where the Circle's sanctuary is." As you hold it, you feel a deep connection to the energy within.

A small black amulet on a silver chain. While its true purpose is unknown, you can use it as a druidic focus for your spells. It also allows you to ignore material components for spells.

"Priest of Selune. In my adventuring, I have encountered many gods. Only once did I have the fortune of meeting Selune, but she gave me this blessing, which I will now bestow upon you." The knight reaches around his neck, unclasping a silver chain baring a moonstone crest: two eyes and seven stars, the mark of Selune. It seems to glow with moonlight.

A moonstone amulet on a silver chain. Imbued with the power of moonlight, you may cast Light as a free action and cast Turn Undead three times per day. While in direct moonlight, you may reroll any 1's on skill checks or attack rolls.

Sir Tristan turns to leave the room. "I advise you make haste to the sanctuary. Each day, the Thessalhydra grows stronger, and more and more people are in danger. In three days, it will be fully healed, and begin its attack on the mortal world. I cannot give thanks enough for your service." He leaves you alone in the hall.

4sbiIyW.jpg

Adron

Adron grins back at the nonchalant hero who all too willingly accepts the challenge. The man he challenged rose from his seat, with a towering presence that seemed to engulf the room. By instinct Adron nearly reached for his blade as the hero Tristan grasped his own, but he was dumbfounded by what he did. He felt mesmerized by the sword as it seemed to fly to him despite its size. Without hesitation he ignored the warning signs going off in his head and stepped forth to catch the blade, " The first challenge", he said under his breath. The blade slammed into his palm with the force of a hobgoblin's fist, but it flew through air with lightness of a rapier. Almost overcompensating a bit too much, adron accidentally slices a table in half at a diagonal. It's pristine blade blade shimmered, but it didn't reflect the moonlight cascading into the hall or the roaring fire.

"What sorcery is....this"? Was all he could utter while the others were being bestowed their own gifts for this journey. He watched silently while keeping the blade standing erect at his side. He didn't quite understand what they were being given, but he hoped these things were useful. " I don't know if we're walking into a trap strange ones, but the goddess of carnage knows no prejudice. Let us bask in the blood of our foes and return as heroes"! His voice boomed as he made fist toward them.

The shadowy amulet almost twinkled in the druid's hands, thrumming with a deep and ancient magic that was beyond Xoco's understanding. She could feel its magical power linking with her own as she closed her fingers around the cold obsidian stone. The artifact filled her with resolve and purpose. She was meant for this.

"To the death of the monster!" she cried in response to her companion, thrusting her fist out to meet his. Her mind was already racing with thoughts about where to start. Could it be true that the Twilight Sanctum lay beneath the feet of her people all along? They would have to investigate as soon as possible.

"Every idle moment is time we grant to the monster. We should adjourn to my people's village and see if this talisman can offer any insight about the location of the Twilight Sanctum."

As Y’Menkos laid his fingers on the amulet, he was filled with a sense of peace. The cold silver against his neck felt as though the hand of Selune had graced him itself. The magic imbued within the amulet pulsed in a comforting fashion as he touched his god’s symbol and gave a silent prayer of thanks. He looked at the knight in respect and gratitude after he’d properly fastened the clasp, taking in a small breath. “Your gift is highly appreciated, Sir Tristan; and may the blessing of Selune remain with you.” He gave the knight a respectful nod before turning to his new-found compatriots. For the first time since entering the room he truly absorbed their presence. The mercenary and the druid intrigued him greatly. However, he’d have to save his questions for later- there was a monster in need of a quick death.

“If finding your sanctum shall provide us with means to defeat the beast, I’ll gladly follow, O druid,” Y’Menkos said in response to Xoco. “And let the beast’s death be swift! For we’ve little time to waste, friends.”

In the midst of the Feast of the Hunter's Moon, you find few equipment stores still open. However, on the main road where the festival is at its loudest and brightest, is an alchemist's shop. Through the glass windows you can see the well-kept, high-class interior, with series of colourful bottles along the wall. Inside, many of the more usable components and potions are taken, likely for partying. However, there are is a well-stocked row of medicines, both magical and non-magical.

In the vast library of phials, you can find pretty much any chemical known to man at reasonable prices, as well as Potions of Lesser Healing and Healer's Kits (5gp each).

The only person inside is a weary-eyed shopkeep, his drunken doze only occasionally interrupted by the noise of the crowd.

Xoco enters the shop, curious if an establishment such as this would have an herbalism kit in stock. She had healing enough with her magic, but she had never had a chance to flex her herbalism skills and perhaps the plants and reagents of the forest would prove useful. She ignored the drunkard at the counter and perused the shelves for herbalism kits or other tools that might prove useful in the forest.

Snek Snek Searching through the shop, you find a wide variety of equipment you would find quite necessary in any herbalist's kit, totaling 5gp.

still watching fma still watching fma The gnome nearly falls off his comically high stool behind the bar, rustling the long line of glass bottles behind him. His voice is slurred, and the stench of orcish ale from his breath is unbearable. "Hmm? Yuh, miladdo, what kannuh do for to help with you?"

4sbiIyW.jpg

Adron

He points to the vial with a scowl written upon his face and says, " This couldn't heal a kobold's flesh wound. 5 gold coins is too much"!

**persuasion attempt**

(Persuasion with advantage: 9, 6. 9+1=10)

"Uhhhhhh if it's for sick kobolds eicannnnn uhhhhh..." He dozes off for a second. "alright uhm I can givvyou a discunt foruhhhhh 3 gold each? I been hearin word of them trodologoat attacks in the forest so."

Xoco brings the bundle of herbalism supplies to the counter, waiting impatiently while the gnome drunkenly stumbles his way through complete sentences.

4sbiIyW.jpg

Adron

"Alright shopkeep, I'll take it", he said as his hand slammed down 3 gold coins down on his countertop, with a metallic thud.

7 gp left

He takes the gold and palms it lazily into the till. "You knowem attacks is getin worse, them healing potions can't uhhhhhhhhhhh" He dozes off, his eyes closing.

Y’Menkos wandered around the shop fairly aimlessly, before picking up a healer’s kit and making his way toward the counter. He tapped his palm on the countertop, hoping to wake up the shop keep. The gnome reeked of booze- it quite reminded him of one of his old masters. His nose wrinkled at the memory.

“Excuse us, sir?”

He awakens suddenly. "Yup yup yup I'm here now y'aller lookin for somethin for them monsters outside of town? Them bad business from what I hear." He doesn't seem to be making eye contact whatsoever, instead staring into the middle distance at a customer who isn't there.

Xoco, growing tired of the attendant's lack of alertness, places the herbalism kit in front of the gnome and pushes forward 3 gp without hesitation rather than the full value. She hoped her deception would teach the gnome a lesson about moderation the next day when he checked his books.

*Deception attempt*

(Deception roll with advantage 7, 17 17+2=19)

He takes the three gold and places it in the till, continuing to speak. "Nasty business, glad y'all're here to defeat thems torlogytes or whathaveyous." He yawns loudly, scratching his rear with his left hand, and then sniffing his hand. He quickly frowns at the smell and rubs his hand on his shirt.

4sbiIyW.jpg

Adron

Just before heading out into the festive night, he turned to the storekeep and said, "If'n this potion is bad I'll be back for a fight"! he said, before trailing off to say, "Or some ale...whichever comes first".

Y’Menkos gave the gnome a curt smile, before pushing forward the five gp for his healer’s kit. “Have a good night, sir. I’d recommend laying off the ale.” Y’Menkos turned to head out, placing the kit among the rest of his items.

“Off we are, then?” The tiefling said, looking at his companions inquisitively.

(12 gp left)

Xoco winced at the crude display, turning away and throwing up in her mouth a little. It didn't take the Detect Poison and Disease spell to know the shopkeeper was not a clean person. She made a mental note to clean her herbalism tools before using them as she walked to the exit.

"Spirits willing, we will not spend another second in here. We must be off."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back