• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Hungering Worms Creeping Amidst The Labyrinthine Veins of an Embryonic God (Experimental Post Apocalyptic Eldritch SciFi Horror And Depravity)

ChasmOfOrganicMatter

High Priest of Depravity

The sky always hungered, squirming with the consistency and curiosity of flesh and muscle upon a world that had lusted for its power and now lay beneath the scouring eyes of hungry, ageless powers. Great monuments of steel and stone lay in mocking, shattered dismay beneath the bacterial teeming and writhin of a passageway opened between the present and the immanent, the material and the immaterial, a world so full of chaotic and unregulated life that it spilled like a deluge of teeth, flesh, mandibles, and power unnameable unto a false realm of shallow rationality and structured rule. Swept aside in the vomited putrefaction of a gate that couuld not be closed, a new world was born festering and twisting upon the still gasping pseudo-carcass of the old. The gateway cannot be closed and you live in its wake.

Carnage - Dark Recollections - No Text.JPG

You have always known this. Any survivors of the Cataclysmic Birth do. Those born since live with the knowledge that mankind is no longer a dominant life form on a world that is not longer its own become aware every time they gaze through shattered windows or void-filter screens. It is not your concern for the mockery of living humanity is condemend to. You are not leaving but returning to where you always will and always shall. Ruins lay endless across a pustulated world but one in particular has called to you again and again, even without recollection of whatever role it played in your past.

[SPORE FUNGOID ABANDONED CITY RUINS] 128-1285402_artwork-apocalyptic-destruction-ruins-city-na...jpg
From near and afar, a convergence of the discarded, shattered, and lost arrive at the outskirts of a city hidden behind a nebulous membrane veil of living mass woven into the fabric of our reality as much as what lays beyond it. Life thrives, thrashes, and battles within and life profane and unworldly calls for them to enter. From pasts fragmented and ambiguous they have emerged. By the call of distant, lost aeons they are summoned to enter the shroud and the ruins within. A city of the olden age, before the Birth yet somehow surviving in this graveyard era, winds into mysteries and revelations alike. A truth they feel as tightly as their own flesh pulls them further into the unknown and the labyrinthine, into a cycle of false death, arcane deception, and forced rebirth as prey and predator alike.

Filthy mess by Nekronikon.jpg

Recently, I've had an odd idea for a roleplay. The genre as you might imagine is exactly what it says on the tin. How it all plays out can be explained fairly simply.

You are an inhabitant of an Earth existing in the wake of an eldritch armageddon, one where it was not nuclear power or environmental disaster that spelled the downfall of man but powers of unearthly, grotesque origin that seeped not only into the Earth but the fabric of reality itself. This situation is beyond your power to change but that is not your concern. For whatever reason, you have found yourself wandering towards a mysterious city on some far flung corner of the world, one that exists beyond a gigantic flesh-like transparent barrier that pulses with uncomfortable life. Any fear or apprehension does not matter; by some force unknown, you are compelled to walk to and bypass this membrane-wall. This is how the adventure begins but this is where the "experimental" part of the RP comes into play.

You see, that backstory of yours is an interesting thing. You hold onto it convinced of its objectivity and truthfulness but that's the fun part; your character knows their abilities, their physicality, their equipment, their personality... but the actual pasts that lead up to this point? What players in this RP will create is what they believe their past to be. Having wandered this Earth in search of the Membranous City for so long, some perhaps wonder if it was all but an illusion or delusion created by the long, arduous voyage to the revolting place. Others hold onto it; a golden gleam of truth in a world of murk and decay. Some perhaps do not care at all.

One way or the other, this "backstory as you remember" is something players will not entirely control. As you progress through the RP, the GM (myself) will be able to play around with it - reveal internal consistencies and contradictions, the influence of external forces not accounted for, and the ways in which what your character believed their personal stories to be were perhaps not as they thought. How does this related to a pulsing, rotting, unpleasantly living city? Well, you'll see but perhaps the denizens of it can help you with that.

[PALE MONSTROUS ELDRITCH BEINGS WITH HUMANOID LIMBS] concept_art_for__edge_of_nowhere__by_robo...jpg
This roleplay is a mixture of action and horror. The post-Birth world is one filled with creatures that did not originate from this world and are not wholly bound to its laws. Some might be of earthly origin but were mutated by the horrific powers of the Oneiric Chasm, the otheworldly source of all of this, into things best left unremembered. Humanity itself still lives but you of course know whether or not they can be trusted can depend on the situation. In fact, humanity has learned to harness The Chasm's power... with a variety of effects. Like other organisms that inhabit the the aftermath, it changes you regardless of your power. Biologies mutate in ways subtle and grotesque, the soul itself not spared from such effects - both are the price for the powers from beyond.

Paolo Girardi - Gory Hole.jpg

For your characteres, these powers can manifest in a number of ways. I'm sure you're all aware of say, Warhammer 40000, Mass Effect, and a great number of fantasy and sci fi settings. You can imagine them among those lines but do remember this is a grotesque power, one of flesh germinating from the foul energies of the Oneiric Chasm, of scything limbs of teeth and mandibles groping blindly out of wounds in the fabric of space, and of bolts of raging power twisting in flight as if alive, devouring flesh and being alike. I'll let your imaginations detail the rest of the ways these horrid powers manifest. Have fun.

Karmazid - Shaped and Shapeless Occultism.jpg
Of course, this is a roleplay that will not ask you to rely entirely on said power. A great deal of more... grounded options are available for your protection. This is a far future setting, one that has survived the apocalypse, so a variety of gear is also available for you. Pre-Birth firearms abound, as do improvised weaponry ranged and up-close. Improvised explosive devices, directed energy rifles, scavenged grenade launchers, whips made from the reinforced iron-laced bones of mutated wildlife joined by void-forged chains, even weaponized gun and blade limbs that attach themselves to your bodies and feed on you for power. You should not forget the importance of say, infra-red goggles, tactical flashlights, survival kits, medical equipment, flares, and so on as well as more exotic options in your journey.

[FLESH VORTEX] forgotten_shithole_by_sirogi_d76asqv.png
Expect primariy horrible, unsightly, unpleasant things. I will not sugarcoat it: this RP is going to get pretty gross and pretty violent (up to and including cannibalism of the dead), just all around weird in general. But also expect to have to deal with the various forces that dwell within the Membrane City; there are civilizations, factions, clans, and tribes that live in here. With their help or in spite of their adversity, the truth of the City's state of being will be revealed. With that, the mystery as to why you were drawn to it and why your personal histories are perhaps not as you thought and remembered.

Part of the adventure is not simply hiding from and hunting the eldritch dwellers of the post-Birth nightmare landscape, but interacting with the sapients who live the horror every day. While this is not exactly a faction-building roleplay, the powers that rule various areas of the City can be benefactors or threats based on your actions. This will come with perks but also drawbacks: not everyone gets along and your goodwill towards one may be viewed with suspicion by another. Tread wisely and realize that some of them may know more about you than you might be comfortable to know.

CHARACTER SHEET FORMAT

Name:

Gear/Items: [You don't need to list EVERYTHING here but just major things such as particular weapons and equipment that is "signature" to your character.]

Skills and Proficiencies:

Physical Appearance: [Images are handy but not necessary.]

Supernatural/Chasmic Abilities ("Magic"): [Note: focus not just on what it does but the general visible appearance.]

Augmented Physical Abilities: [Mostly an optional section for say, characters with heavy cybernetics, biological modifications, unearthly mutations, or some combination of these. Basically special things you can do baseline humans cannot.]

History: [Remember, this is not the "objective" history of the character but what they THINK they remember... and it can include the City.]

Personality:

Attachments

• revelation_by_alexandrosthedarkone-daz6uas.jpg
    revelation_by_alexandrosthedarkone-daz6uas.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 4
  • [STRANGE ELDRITCH CREATURE] black_hole_by_bmj_metalik_da8vha6-fullview.jpg
    [STRANGE ELDRITCH CREATURE] black_hole_by_bmj_metalik_da8vha6-fullview.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
omg am still on fence if i can join or not since i'm fresh out of character ideas but. 😭 regardless can i just say the writing is so good. the concept is out of this world (i'm so funny) and i'm literally obsessed. i'll have to meditate a bit on a chara that could fit this, but i had to drop in to say this bcs i'm blown away ajdjdjd.

omg am still on fence if i can join or not since i'm fresh out of character ideas but. 😭 regardless can i just say the writing is so good. the concept is out of this world (i'm so funny) and i'm literally obsessed. i'll have to meditate a bit on a chara that could fit this, but i had to drop in to say this bcs i'm blown away ajdjdjd.
Thanks I basically tried to create the most gross, death metal inspired setting possible.

it kind of reminded me of lisa the painful/joyful with the aspect of the world being terrible and ppl have mutated. πŸ‘€ obvs it's not the exact same but i do love that.

ngl my ideas aren't for characters aren't that original 😳 but for now stuck between 'the horror of a man thats not alone in his body and is being held together by the Classical Horror Black Goo πŸ˜” smh' to literally 'yeah that's a lady with a growth chilling on her skull.' i'll have to think more but -

aa will there be a separate cs thread or do we just drop it here?

Hold the phone, stop the engine, hold your horses and all that goodness.
I’m in!
(If you’d have me)

it kind of reminded me of lisa the painful/joyful with the aspect of the world being terrible and ppl have mutated. πŸ‘€ obvs it's not the exact same but i do love that.

ngl my ideas aren't for characters aren't that original 😳 but for now stuck between 'the horror of a man thats not alone in his body and is being held together by the Classical Horror Black Goo πŸ˜” smh' to literally 'yeah that's a lady with a growth chilling on her skull.' i'll have to think more but -

aa will there be a separate cs thread or do we just drop it here?
You can drop your character sheets here for now. I'll make a discord later.

Soooo interested!!! This is a really original and interesting rp. Can't wait to start coming up with character ideas and exploring the creepiness of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back