• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom HTTYDragon OC RP (WIP TITLE) - CLOSED

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Bean smiled sheepishly at the praise, and he looked gratefully at Asta when she announced that she would be taking first watch. "I'll take the next watch then, so wake me up when it's time to swap."
Just then Calder's dragon returned with the net full of fish. "I've been looking forward to a good meal all afternoon. Here, let me prepare those."
As he gathered the net he remarked: "I've never seen a dragon trained to catch fish with a net before. How did you manage that?"

By the time Bean had the fish cleaned and arranged neatly on sticks, Alana announced that the fire was ready to take them.
Bean set the first round carefully over the flames, close enough to char the skin, but still leave the meat moist and tender.
"The stories of the gods were always my favourite." Bean admitted over the cheerful crackle of the fire. "And they always seemed to go over well with the traders that came to our island."
He tested the first of the fish to check of they were done and then began handing them out, setting them on a series of flat stone had picked up at the beach to serve as plates.
"Careful, they'll be very hot inside."
Grub, very surprisingly, stayed by his new companion rather than go to beg more fish from his trainer.
"I think he really likes Pep." Bean observed with a smile at his dragon. "He doesn't normally take such a liking to other dragons..."

Kaprosuchus96 Kaprosuchus96 Seabourne Seabourne PolikShadowbliss PolikShadowbliss

Asta nods.
"Fish would be nice for our bellies."
She says as she grabs one of the fish and prepares to eat it. Frydo watching her eat.
"You want some too, don't you?" Frydo doesn't respond, just gives her a look as if to suggest that very thing was absurd. "You're right. I shouldn't be talking to myself in front of everyone." Frydo grunted, looked out at the other dragons, made a snort and cuddled around himself as if in protest at the companionship. Asta looked out at the other dragons too. She didn't exactly catch their names but she knew Bean's by sight. The dragon was the exact oppisite of her Frydo. "Not all dragons are exactly approachable Bean," she said, making to gesture toward her Whispering Death as she eat. Bean was right, the underbelly of the fish really was hot! But not too hot. It helped with the taste. "There's a reason why they call mine the Whispering Death." And why they said their owners were heartless killers, but she left that unsaid. She swallowed her fish and helped herself to some seconds as she talked, "fearsome predators, killers, dead eyes, soulless, it takes a brave soul to capture one, even braver to raise one and give it to a young girl as a pet." She shrugged off the resentment that was no doubt in her reedy, emotionless voice. Ironically having a voice that was emotionless actually made your emotions easier to read, as they rarely if ever show up. She was cursed in that regard. Though it felt as if her emotions were dulled since the attack. It felt like everything was dulled.

Neteyla blinked in surprise as Alana spoke to her, a soft pleasant rumble echoing from the Spinetails throat as she laid down, curling around the back side of her rider. She lay in such a way so that if something happened she could easily raise her wing up and protect the others from inclement weather, though she wouldn't be able to block it out fully. Calder smiled, her form visibly slouching slightly as the woman relaxed, now that her dragon was back she felt more at ease. Cooked fish in hand, the red-head grinned, chuckling lightly at Beans question; "I've never seen a dragon trained to catch fish with a net before. How did you manage that?" Taking a bite she thought for a moment, feeling proud of her dragon and herself. "I'll tell you tomorrow Bean, it's pretty late. If you need another watch shift, feel free to wake me up." The Ruby Wolf yawned lightly before finishing off her meal, stretching back into the air, "First night in, we've got a ways to go." She sounded more determined than pessimistic about the whole endeavor, a smile faint on her face as she slipped into her bedroll, cuddling back into her dragon, "Sleep well!"

Neteyla stayed awake for as long as she could before her eyelids grew heavy, the bio-luminescence in her scales dimming drastically as she fell asleep, one wing stretching out to partially cover Calder while they rested.

PolikShadowbliss PolikShadowbliss Seabourne Seabourne SilverFlight SilverFlight

Alana Moore

Alana ate happily, enjoying the warm food. It had been a while since she had eaten something that she had not cooked herself. "I think he really likes Pep. He doesn't normally take such a liking to other dragons..." Bean said. She proudly scratched her dragon under the chin, earning a faint clicking sound from him. "Pep's a friendly one. He's good with kids and other dragons." She said. For as long as she's known him it's been true. She could tell, however, that he was in particularly good company with Grub. She hoped he would not be too sad to leave him as their journey ended.

As they finished their meals, Calder lay down to sleep, protected by one blue wing. Alana stretched, ready to head to bed as well. Tomorrow they would hopefully be close to meeting with the Frostscar. She lay in her bedroll as well, pulling the cover over her shoulder. Pep, tired as well, wrapped each of his four wings around himself in a peculiar way that hid most of his body, leaving him like a bat on the ground. Normally he slept hanging, but perhaps did not find any place to his liking. Before long, the pair were both asleep.

Last edited:
Asta stood up from her perch and immediately took first watch, taking her fellow parties sleepiness as a clue to take up patrol. Frydo didn't join her, only stared at her as if to say, "you do know that this isn't needed, right?" before curling in among himself and falling asleep. Fine. It wouldn't be the first she was alone. She can handle it.

So she stood vigil while the others rested their faces off, eying the starry horizon, listening to the snores of the rest around her. The quiet world with just the snores of the dragons and the people around her.

"Night one," she said out loud to no one in particular, "we're getting along alright. Wonder how long that will last." It was only a matter of time before they were at each others, she was sure of it. Once the danger and the threats start coming, and tensions rise, their personalities will be tested, even hers. Will they be able to make it in the end? She secretly hoped so. Though she didn't think so.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Asta wasn't even aware when sleep overtook her, it just did.

After dinner Bean settled down onto his bedroll and pulled the furs up to his chin, relishing the warmth they brought.
Grub padded over to him and tried to climb onto the furs.
"Grub." Bean said firmly. "You know you're too big for that."
The dragon gave him a hurt look before slinking to the foot of the bedroll. He used a quick fire blast to heat the ground underneath him and lay down.

Bean was fast asleep when Grub stirred again. The dragon padded quietly to where Asta had gone. He found the viking asleep and gingerly folded himself around her, careful not to brush her with any of his sharp spines. Grub's belly began to glow with heat. He kept Asta warm all night.
PolikShadowbliss PolikShadowbliss

The morning was cold, and Bean didn't want to move from his nice warm bed. Still, he sat up, rubbed his eyes and cast about for his dragon...who was nowhere to be found.
"Grub? Grub!"
Kaprosuchus96 Kaprosuchus96 Seabourne Seabourne PolikShadowbliss PolikShadowbliss KSMI KSMI

Last edited:
The Vikings would find their surroundings clear to them as the sun rose over the horizon. Behind, as well as slightly hanging over them was an incredibly shallow cave that sat in the rock seawall that bordered the southwestern edge of the beach. That shallow cave had been what "sufficed" for shelter overnight, was filled with each member of the party except for Asta and Grub. To the north of them was the ocean they'd flown over the night before, the morning sun glinting almost painfully over the waves, making them both beautiful and deadly to any who might gaze too long. Across from the group was a vast sandy beach, the plateau of bright white sand only broken as mounds of dark rock rose from the grains at varying heights, and at the end of the beach sat another seawall. Further inland, the beach turned to fresh green grasses which then transitioned into tall pines which made up the rest of the small island. Beyond the tops of the trees a small mountain could be seen, and what wasn't exposed rock, dirt, or grass was made up of more forest. It was a relatively quiet island, mostly due to the fact that the Dragon Riders had only truly explored the beach or went out at night when most of the wildlife was asleep, so the only sounds the riders could hear was the loudness of the waves beside them and the very faint trills of songbirds further into the forest.

---------------------------------------------------------------- ~ ----------------------------------------------------------------​

It wasn't the bright sunlight slipping over the horizon that woke Calder, but the snuffling and rumbling of the ever caretaking Neteyla as the Spinetail herself began to wake. The red-head sat up slowly, stretching her arms out behind her as a long yawn began to escape her form, her eyes drifting to follow Neteyla as the dragon stood, letting off a soft chuff in an attempt to wake the other group members up. The pale blue dragon turned her head to Bean, given it had been his voice that had woken her up. She stared at him for a few seconds before turning her back on the group, slipping into the water and disappearing below the waves.

"What's going on, Bean?" Calder would inquire, yawning as she slowly stumbled to her feet, stretching again once she reached full height, a groan escaping her as she did so. "Where's Grub?" Her brow came together in a perplexed expression as she walked over towards the only male in the group. She would not directly bother any of the other members until they woke up; she didn't want to cause any trouble before they hit the first twenty-four hours of their journey.

SilverFlight SilverFlight PolikShadowbliss PolikShadowbliss Seabourne Seabourne

Alana Moore

The night was cold, but the pile of branches and leaves did well to protect her from the harsh bite of the warmth-sapping ground. The fire's glowing embers gave off a comfortable heat through most of the night, though they did cool drastically as the arctic chill overpowered them. Nonetheless, the cold did not bother the Iron Tooth woman as much as it may have if she had been left to her own devices. Pep, a heavy sleeper, moved through the night so that he lay sprawled out, a wing in every direction, while his rider made do. The brightest of the sun's light pierced the horizon, ready to warm the air after it's absence. Though hours would pass before the temperature rose, the light was strong and warmed what it touched. Alana, as heavy a sleeper as her dragon, turned her back to the sun and soldiered on through her dreamless sleep.

Pep, less dreamless, could almost taste the sheep in his jaws. He'd snuck up on the creature, and was but a short dash away from a warm meal. Shifting on his haunches, he raised his clawed wing-tips from the ground and broke out into a sprint. In the waking world, his legs thrashed and flailed, but failed to carry him any distance. A barrage of kicks pushed Alana from the fir pile, jolting her awake. Frightened and disoriented, she pushed herself upward, swinging her legs forward to kneel on both knees. Once fully awake, she groaned aloud as she noticed the lack of attackers and the presence of Pep's still-twitching feet. It was clearly not the first time she had been woken in such a manner. All at once she remembered the company she was in. How foolish and improper she must appear to them. She felt her face grow hot and quickly turned her face away from Bean and Calder, who were both already awake. "Good morning." She sputtered, forcefully brushing sand and fir needles from her clothing as she stood in an attempt to appear nonchalant. As someone who took pride in being seen as serious, she worried for how her companions might view her, though she had no reason to fear losing their respect.

Asta awoke just as suddenly as she had fallen asleep, and she awoke expecting the cold. What she got was an intense warmth raditating from somewhere. Everywhere. And she knew that Frydo didn't generate heat so what was going on? She allowed the confusion to develop her mind for a moment before she realized that she had a dragon laying beside her. And then another moment passed before she realized that it was Bean's dragon, Grub or something or the other. He must have waddled over when I fell asleep? When did that happen? Asta slowly stood up, careful not to wake the sleeping dragon, and walked over to the rest of the group, spotting Frydo at a distance, looking at her with his blank eyes. He grunted once, acknowleging that she was awake, before flying over to her, curling around her like a snake as she rubbed his scales. He growled once in approval, before averting his eyes away from the scorching sun.

"It's alright, buddy, you will get used to it," she said, patting his bulbous head as she walked over to the rest. She was pleased to see that most of them were awake. But stopped sort of Bean's worried expression.

"Your dragon is fine," she said to Bean as she walked up, inducing that he was probably worried about his dragon, "he slept with me the other night. Kept me warm."

Gods, how she hated her montone emotionless voice.

Bean's look of anxiety was aparent on his face when he turned to Calder. He was on his feet in a moment.
"Grub normally never strays out of sight from me..."
The others began to stir slowly and it was then he realized that Asta was also not with them.
As if summoned the woman appeared, her dragon coiling affectionately around her.
Bean relaxed visibly when she told them where Grub had been. He flopped back onto his bedroll, and suddenly felt silly for panicking.
"In Thornwings, it's the male that incubates the eggs. They have a special trick where they can heat their bellies. Only the males do it. Grub must have taken a liking to you to follow you out like that." He gave Asta a slightly envious look, but he was smiling too.

It was only a few moments after that Grub came bounding through the grass. He barreled into his trainer and began licking his face thoroughly.
"Yes! I see you! You little snipe! Get off!" His words were interspersed by bursts of laughter until finally he managed to shove the dragon off himself and get up. He tried his best to shake the sand from his vest, lamenting the fact that Grub had gotten sand in his bedroll too.
He took the map from his saddle pack and brought it to Calder, pointing to a small island not far from the Frostscar encampment.
"Not long to go now." He said cheerfully, feeling infinitely better now that his dragon had come back. "If we catch a tailwind we could get there in a day."
Kaprosuchus96 Kaprosuchus96 Seabourne Seabourne PolikShadowbliss PolikShadowbliss

"If we catch a tailwind we could get there in a day." Calder nodded gently, her brow furrowing slightly as she thought, "Alright, we'll need to get up and going pretty soon here then. Neteyla should be back in a few minutes with enough fish for everyone, I'll start packing up while we wait for her and we can leave once were done eating?" She looked at Bean, a friendly smile across her face as she turned about to begin packing up her stuff, not even noticing Alana's embarrassment as she went. "Morning Asta; Alana. Both of you sleep well?" The red head began to wind up her bedroll, cleaning up her spot slowly.

Seabourne Seabourne PolikShadowbliss PolikShadowbliss SilverFlight SilverFlight

"I didn't even realize I fell asleep until I woke up this morning so yeah I would say I'm good," the dark-haired woman grunted in response, her Whispering Death coiling around a vividly black snake, "a nice, dreamless sudden sleep will do wonders for your health. The dragon keeping me warm worked wonders too." Asta in truth, was extemely grateful for the playful Grub for actually choosing to keep her warm in the middle of the night, made her feel not as alone. So, when she was certian no one was looking, she mouthed "thank you" to Grub before she went about her business.

The Wandering Berserkers travelled light with only a few rations and bedrolls. Asta remembered many nights sleeping in the cold, her father had cuddled with her to keep her warm, while her mother tended to the fires. Then she grew older and her father cuddling beside her was not an option anymore, she was forced to keep herself warm. It was a harrowing experience. Being a part of the Wandering Berserkers would toughen any girl up. They weren't exactly friendly, her mother and father being the exception. She would fight the rest of the children though fighting wasn't really her thing, she wasn't nearly as strong as some of the boys and indeed some of the girls, and would most times lose a fight.

So saying, Asta took whatever provisons she had and stuffed into her saddle. Frydo didn't seem to mind, he was too bothered by the sun to mind. The Whispering Death had long since gotten over his fear of sunlight, but the sun still bothered him. She sympathized. Without saying a word to the others, she mounted Frydo and prepared to take off.

Alana Moore

Holding her breath as each of her companions began shuffling about their morning, she was relieved to see that her blunder had gone unnoticed. "Alright, we'll need to get up and going pretty soon here then. Neteyla should be back in a few minutes with enough fish for everyone, I'll start packing up while we wait for her and we can leave once were done eating?" Pleased with this plan, she held her own bedroll above her head and beat the fir needles from the underside, not wanting them to stick and come with her. Once she deemed it clean enough she folded and rolled it, binding it with a thin rope. Now she had to wake Pep and fit him with his saddle, a daunting task. She shoved and pushed at his shoulder, calling his name and whistling to him. He groaned and rumbled, complaining to her. "Don't be such a baby!" She chided, giving him one last push. With a loud and exaggerated growl he heaved himself up to his feet, shaking the sand from his scales.

She made quick work of dressing him, having chosen a simply but effective saddle for him to wear. He didn't like to wear it much, and she often let him take it off when they weren't flying. "Morning Asta; Alana. Both of you sleep well?" Calder asked. "Well as I could on the ground, yes." she said. As far as she knew, each of the other vikings also regularly slept in beds, and were just as sore in the back as she. Nodding along in agreement as Asta answered, she finished tightening the last strap across Pep's chest. He allowed her to tie down the bedroll and impatiently chuffed, wanting more time to sleep. "When did I let you get so lazy, you bum?" She asked him, sighing loudly.

Asta mounted her long, coiled dragon. The two were an intimidating pair, but the poor beast looked uncomfortable, though he still obeyed his rider. She admired the dragon's loyalty. Neteyla, as well, was impressive both in her beauty and her responsible demeanor. Grub, on the other hand, reminded her much of Pep, except perhaps less dramatic. Each dragon fit the rider well. As she thought on this she found herself smiling, content with who she'd ended up with to relay their message to the other clans. She hoped the pleasant times lasted. "What's the plan once we do reach the Frostscar?"

Grub, in response to Asta's gratitude, flicked his tongue over one eyeball and blinked at her happily.
PolikShadowbliss PolikShadowbliss
Bean enjoyed watching Alana get her dragon up and moving, though he tried his best to pretend he wasn't watching.
He saddled Grub, which took much longer than it should because the thornwing would not stop bouncing.
"That's a good question Alana," he turned to Calder. "What do we do once we reach Frostscar? Do you think they'll let us get close enough to show the token before the try filling us with arrows?"

His dragon finally ready and his roll and other things packed, Bean climbed into the saddle and waited for Calder's signal.
Kaprosuchus96 Kaprosuchus96 Seabourne Seabourne

Calder frowned slightly, crossing her arms over her chest as she stood next to her packed belongings and Neteyla's saddle, "I mean, both of us know of people from the Frostscar." The red head cast her gaze towards Alana as she said this, remembering back to their conversation the night before. "I mean, maybe if we mention their names or my father's where he knew them, they might give us a chance to listen. I mean, you said it yourself, Alana, you traded with them. They're not murderous and unfriendly, as far as we know at least. That's not how my father made them out to be; they just prefer to keep to themselves as much as possible. That's what I understand anyway."

The sound of rushing water echoed behind them as Neteyla rose up from the waves, her many frills dripping with seawater as she walked up to the group, dropping another net full of fish for both the riders and their dragons. "Hopefully we won't have any issues with them, but you never know I guess, so we should be prepared." Calder patted the Spinetails neck greatfully, a smile back on her face as she opened up the net a little, "You lot want to eat before we get going?"

Seabourne Seabourne SilverFlight SilverFlight PolikShadowbliss PolikShadowbliss

Frydo grumbled hungrily and Asta sighed.
"Yes I suppose we can have some bloody food." She and Frydo didn't eat and she hadn't thought of feeding him until this moment. She slide off the saddle and onto the ground, walking toward the food that Frydo needed. Wordlessly she grabbed some food and walked back to Frydo, almost begrudedly feeding him. Frydo looked at her questioningly as he fed, vaccuming up the food as if it were nothing. "It's alright Frydo, I can handle not having a breakfast." Frydo still looked over at her, as if not convinced, then grunted once in acknowlegement, still glaring at her. Sometimes she swears that mind is cooking up something. And if she hadn't been his rider for ten years, she might have been a little unerved. But it was more of an afterthought.

Alana Moore

Bean, always the talker, repeated her question and added his worry of being filled with arrows. Did the Frostscar use arrows? She could never remember seeing any with bows, but couldn't recall what they did carry, either. "I mean, both of us know of people from the Frostscar. I mean, maybe if we mention their names or my father's where he knew them, they might give us a chance to listen. I mean, you said it yourself, Alana, you traded with them. They're not murderous and unfriendly, as far as we know at least. That's not how my father made them out to be; they just prefer to keep to themselves as much as possible. That's what I understand anyway." Calder answered. She nodded along, humming thoughtfully.

"Farosh will be older by now, and perhaps as stone-hearted as the rest of his tribe. Though not murderous, there is a closed community between them. I do not think they would open their arms to us without good cause." Though she had not known him well or for long, she regretted that the small companionship they'd shared may have died. Few others had been friends to her. "Let's hope your father's reputation is strong." She said.

The offer of food is irresistible to most any dragon. Pep, especially, enjoyed the reward of a meal without doing the work of earning it. Neteyla's bounty was all too tempting, and he sat at her clawed feet, eyeing the net. As Calder opened it, exposing the shiny scales of the still-wet fish inside, he warbled in a high, keening tone. The crashing waves were cold, and he had no wish to brave their sting for a mouthful of fish. "A meal is always welcome." Alana said, nodding once more to Neteyla. She watched as Asta fed Frydo, the quiet bond between them evident. Taking a fish for herself and a few for Pep, she tossed the begging stormcutter his breakfast. He caught them in his teeth, happily eating the mouthful that would give him energy to fly through the freezing air.

Bean thought for a moment. "I suppose it does make more sense to save our dry rations and have fish for breakfast too."
He returned to the campfire and prepared to deal with the catch Neteyla had brought. "Though I hope the FrostScars will trade fish for something else. I can see myself getting tired of grilled haddock very quickly."
He cooked the fish and handed them off to anyone who wanted one. A bit of the spiced sea salt his mother had packed did wonders for the flavour.
"You should eat." He told Asta sternly. "What if we need to fight and you're too faint from hunger to swing that thing properly?" He pointed his paring knife at her weapon. Perhaps badgering the others like an old hen was what his mother was good at, and he missed her, but whatever the reason he had taken it upon himself to make sure they all took care of themselves.
After breakfast, and after Grub had stuffed himself on the remainder, the pair were ready to fly.

"You should eat." He told Asta sternly. "What if we need to fight and you're too faint from hunger to swing that thing properly?" Asta bristled at that, but then relaxed as she read his motherly tone. "Yeah, I suppose I should." She conceded, though she wasn't really that hungry, but the idea of her growing faint with hunger during a fight was fresh in her mind when she grabbed a fish and bite into it. The fish had no real taste at all, but she bore through it. Frydo watched her, seemingly smug. "Oh, shut up, I'm only eating because I don't want to faint in a fight." A fight would be problematic though, four women, one man. She didn't like those odds but she didn't mention it. No need to. So far, their flight has been largely uneventful. She quickly finished eating and got back onto her dragon, getting ready to take flight. SilverFlight SilverFlight

After eating her share of fish and saving any extras in case they needed to eat later, Calder got to work on saddling Neteyla, making sure to collect all of her belongings before climbing atop her dragon. She looked down at the ruby wolf pendant around her neck, taking it in her fingers for a moment as she thought, a faint smile on her face as she thought about the possible stories she'd have to tell Ref and Orn when she got back to the Isle. "Well, we've got a lot of ocean to cover to hit the Frostscars; let's make haste to that island." Calder nodded to each of her comrades and climbed up into the saddle. Seconds later the azure scaled Spinetail spread her wings wide, crouching down on all six of her legs before leaping into the air. Wind buffeted the red-headed Viking as her dragons large wings began beating to hold them aloft, pausing in mid-air to head in the proper direction before continuing their flight northward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours would pass and the surrounding area refused to change. Very few islands sat between the Frostscars and the previous rock they'd decided to camp at, making it one of the longer legs of their journey. As the sun began to pass in the sky, leaving the afternoon behind them, they could see one change to their scenery; a large mass of gray clouds spanning the northern horizon. These gray clouds began to shift, turning from their lighter color to a darker one as the dragon riders grew close. The sound of heavy rain grew closer and closer, and darkness fell upon them as they passed the threshold of the sky, delving into the ever-growing rainstorm that brewed beneath the clouds, soaking them to the bone.

"Do you think we're close?" Calder would call out over the pounding of the rain, glancing between each of her comrades as she let out a slight shiver. She was wrapped in another fur, one she'd produced from her pack, in a failed attempt to keep off some of the rain. Her features and those of her comrades around her would be illuminated by Neteyla's bio-luminescence, which had slowly begun to pulse the moment the light around them darkened.

Seabourne Seabourne PolikShadowbliss PolikShadowbliss SilverFlight SilverFlight

Alana Moore

Alana ate quickly, ready to set off from the small island. While Calder and the others finished any last-minute preparations, she tied up her hair. The elaborate style she usually wore required a mirror to get right, as well as several minutes of work. She settled on a simple ponytail. Used to the weight of her hair falling on her shoulders, it felt odd to have it centered on the back of her head. It would have to work for the time being. "Well, we've got a lot of ocean to cover to hit the Frostscars; let's make haste to that island." Calder said. Neteyla took to the air, rapidly gaining altitude. Pep looked at his rider expectantly, crouching to let her onto his back. The Iron Tooth woman obliged, securing herself to the saddle. The stormcutter's powerful limbs gathered beneath him, giving him the push he needed to take off. Separating his wings, he fell into his familiar flight rhythm, trailing behind Neteyla.

Though the ocean struck fear into her heart, the skies ahead were beautiful. Alana found herself admiring the clouds, drinking in the intricate details of each one. As hours passed, the sky grew dark. The clouds swirled ominously and rumbled in the distance. Praying that the rain would hold off until they had passed through, she steeled herself and forged ahead. The wind came first, pulling at her clothes and hair. She drew her cloak close around her body, the force of it dragging behind in the wind almost taking her from the saddle. Sheets of rain fell steadily ahead, and with every moment they drew closer. Looking in either direction betrayed no alternative route. They would have to go through it.

Thick storm clouds blocked out the sun, shrouding them in darkness. Neteyla's scales came to life once more, shining with a radiant blue that gave her enough light to see by. The first droplets of rain stung as they hit her skin, cold as ice. Pep roared in displeasure as the sensitive membranes of his wings were assaulted by the rain. She scratched the scales behind his jaw, hoping to soothe him. As they traveled further, the rain soaked through her clothes and pooled in the saddle. Shivering, she pleaded with the Gods to free them from the freezing deluge. "Do you think we're close?" Calder called. Her words were torn away by the howling wind, but Alana could read her lips well enough. She squinted downwards, but saw nothing but dark, churning water. Shaking her head, she looked to Bean, who seemed to be an expert in navigation.

Last edited:
Asta
It didn't take long for them to take off, and as Asta predicted, the journey was largely uneventful and extremely long. She was so utterly jaded that she actually welcomed the rain and wind, just because it helped liven up the place. That welcomeness quickly grew to annoyance as the rain fell like knifes against her fur coat. Frydo though seemed to love the dark and the rain, finally a change from the dreaded sun. Asta cuddled down. She could no longer see the ocean which caused her heart to leap two paces into her throat. Not only but the darkness surrounding was almost complete. If it weren't for that dragon's glow illuminating the rest of the party. She would have no idea where her group was. Normally, she would have flown from the distance away from the main party but instead chose to keep it close this time. The last thing she needed was to get lost. "Do you think we're getting close?" Calder shouted to be heard over the rain. Gods, I sure hope so. Though she suspected that they might not be and that this storm will throw them off. It was already getting cold and wet. Not a good combination. If one of them got sick because of this. Knowing my luck, it's bound to be me. Thor must be in a bad mood. She remembered her mother telling her that not all things were the providence of the Gods, sometimes things just happen, even bad things.

Even bad things. Like how a masked black rider beheaded her mother in cold blood. How her father died in his pursuit of instant vengence. How she witnessed all of this and felt and did nothing.

Nothing.

The sky was a nice change at first. Bean shook the last of the sand from his vest and it trailed in a little cloud to the waves below. It was hours in, when Bean was laid over the back of his saddle, staring at the clouds that he remembered that long distance flights were just plain boring. He looked out over to the horizon, where the vast, monotonous expanse of ocean met the vast, monotonous expanse of sky and sighed heavily. He missed his forge, and working it. If Calder found him one to work he'd happily make her 20 spyglasses...The dark gray clouds swirling on the horizon made him sit up. Suddenly he felt guilty for his boredom. That was definitely not what he wanted in terms of excitement.
Calder didn't alter course. They kept on the same height and direction...straight into the storm.
Rain stung his face, even though he's dragged an oiled hide canvas over himself to prevent his furs from being soaked. Grub was labouring hard against the wind. Finally Bean pulled up beside their leader.
"Calder! We need to get higher! Fly above the storm! I can't open a map in this and I don't have the sun to set our heading! Also my dragon won't last the rest of the way if he has to fight this wind much longer! He's too small!"

A sudden gust of wind slammed into Grub, and the young dragon balked, twisting in the air to right himself. Bean was caught off guard. He hadn't been holding on and in one heart-stopping moment, he felt the saddle vanish from his grip, slipped from his rain-slicked hands.
With a shocked yell, Bean was thrown bodily into open sky.

Calder's eyes flew wide as she saw Grub falter, and a flash of blue lightning lit up the stormy sky as Bean to slip from the saddle. The red-head let out a shrill whistle as she saw the darker haired boy fall through the air, his form almost disappearing into the darkness as the lightning flash faded, and her dragon suddenly changed course. Neteyla dove down, her wings plastered tightly to her sides to help her descend faster.

Calder clung to Neteyla tightly, her knuckles turning white as she pressed her form down against the saddle to better streamline the Spinetail. Azure claws extended as Neteyla reached out for Beans falling form, her claws then closing around the young man, holding him aloft in the storm to stop his fall. "Hold on!" Calder screamed to Bean over the roar of the rain as Neteyla began to make her ascent, heading towards the others of their group.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Seabourne Seabourne PolikShadowbliss PolikShadowbliss

Last edited:
Alana Moore

Bean was falling. Grub, thankfully, was able to stay afloat, but his rider was torn away, falling below the clouds. A fall from their height, even into water, would surely be fatal. She yelled to Pep, but he couldn't hear her over the howling wind that flooded his ears. She pulled hard at his reigns, desperately trying to catch his attention. Neteyla, acting fast, dove to save the falling rider. Squinting, she leaned over to better see below them as the spinetail caught Bean in her claws, then turned to climb back through the air towards them. She sighed heavily in relief, glad that Calder and her dragon were able to spare Bean from the death that awaited him below. Her relief was short-lived as she remembered why he had fallen in the first place.

Worried, Alana looked to Grub, who had only dropped his rider since he couldn't battle out the wind. It lashed at them with brutal force, and required an equal amount of strength to be held up against. Even for the dragons that were capable of flight in the torrent, it was exhausting work. The little energy they might still have would be expended before they could reach the Frostscar. She redirected Pep to fly in front of him, using his large wings in an attempt to shield Grub from the intense wind. While they flew, the chill sank in, Alana's teeth chattering together while the icy rain battered her. Her fingertips, particularly, grew painful. Still ahead of Grub, she looked over her shoulder to check on the green dragon. If needed, Pep could hook his claws onto the back of his saddle until they were clear of the storm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back