• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Howl's Flying Castle (Finished! ---Whoo! (*^▽^)/)

When she heard Seth asking for help with battle tactics, one of Minnie's eyes peeked out of the blanket and nodded. Her cheeks plumped as she smiled for a second...

Then she went back to her automatic expression, which is being expressionless, the blanket falling off her head. "Yes, I'll help with tactics. We should use the terrain as our advantage." Minnie suggested, already thinking of using guerrilla warfare if they ever do an ambush ever again. The little gunner thanked the nice caravan people for helping them and letting them rest, eating the interesting food they gave them.

"...You're awake, Rrrricket. That's good." Minnie mentioned before poking Sen's arm for no reason. "Seth, be a ninja when we attack. Sneak around and use Sen's inventions to plant around the area while I distract them." She's giving ideas to the twins, hoping it would inspire them to be mischievous when they need to be.

Zer0 Zer0 Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle

- Sen & Seth Pendragon -

"My invention is zilch." said Sen poking a sack that jingled and flopped sadly down on the sand with what remained of his clockwork turret inside. "Best I can do is set up traps or talk to them, I'm pretty good at that, except I don't know the local language. Say, Rrricket, buddy, could you teach me the local dialect?" he added to the feline.

"I'll be a ninja." agreed Seth. "I'm going to backstab them."

Katsuya Katsuya Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle

Last edited:
Minnie moved a bit closer to Sen, poking his arm again with a light smile. "You can do it." Is her light encouragement before looking over at Seth. "The best one out there."

It's funny how she's actually encouraging them when usually she would knock them out and tie them up to a pole. Yea...they drive her nuts sometimes...but that's how she wants them: crazy.

Ricket's cheeks were full of food and he peeked over his shoulder at the others as they talked, rolling over as Sen asked him to teach him their language. He nodded slowly moved to sit, setting his bowl down on his lap as he sat cross legged, "what Sen-it want Rrrrrrricket to teach?" he didn't figure that he could teach Sen the whole language so easily and thought that maybe just starting with important phrases would be better.

Zer0 Zer0

- Sen & Seth Pendragon -
" NIght Time, Bandit Road, Molaje Steppes "

"Hmm," thought Sen carefully, finger tips pressed together. He glanced over to the caravan folk eating around the cooking fire where a mother was simmering a second batch of pilaf in a big stew pan. "Thank you. I'd like to learn 'thank you' in your dialect and, 'good bye, safe travels'." he nodded at Ricket.

"I want to learn too!" said Seth eagerly. "Words usually used in communicating during battle such as: 'help', 'enemy approaching', 'men on horses coming from the north', and how to count from one to one-thousand, but you can talk to Sen first. Me and Minnie will discuss more tactics."

He turned to their gunner."Ya know, as much as I hate to admit it, Minnie, I think we should avoid confrontation as much as possible since it's not like we've got Renee to heal us up, or Serena to handle huge numbers. Maybe if we end up encountering some more bandits, Sen could talk to them first before it gets bloody?"

Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle Katsuya Katsuya

Minnie smiled lightly at Seth's suggestion. "Good idea. If they become aggressive, we'll strike them in the shadows." The little gunner mentioned, pulling her folded gun onto her lap.

"Though we need ideas if we become desperate for items. What if we run out of money or supplies? We won't get lucky like this time, so stealing items can be an option too." It's a talent that she knows the twins have, being thieves and all.

"I can distract the bandits while you two grab their supplies. I'll lose them afterwards...pretty good at running away." Considering that she will shoot at the knees specifically.

original.jpg
- Sen & Seth Pendragon -
" Bandit Road, Molaje Steppes "

"Thieving from thieves, I like that." grinned Seth. "We can also cut their bowstrings and set their horses loose from camp." their talk continued on until they fell asleep. The next morning, the caravan folks waved good bye to them after they learned that their group was going into the Sonoran Desert instead of out.

They gave them current news of the surrounding area, saying that the desert village they're heading for is actually the village they came from. It suffered greatly in the war and a lot of locals like them had left because of lack of grazing land in the edges of the steppes, but there's still some stubborn folks there who refuse to leave because it's been their home for generations. They gave Ricket a letter to give to the elder of the village, it will assure them that they will be welcomed when they arrive.

* * * *​

Meanwhile, somewhere in the desecrated ruins of Ashenvale . . .

"Eeeeasy, Gluttony." grinned a cat lady soothingly to a giant snarling wolf. "I know you're hungry for elven meat and you will get it, but we need them to talk first, alright fluffy wuffy?"

An ominous snarl echoed like thunder around the burned forest.

"Good boy. . . Now, about the three kids you were guiding through the forest, scum . . ." she turned to a cowering elf, swinging the scrying mirror in one hand. "Where did they go?"

dragon-slayers-xelloss-fantasy-dragon-warrior-art-wallpaper-1.jpg

1557e29ce82ee152c7013958250ea4c0.jpg
- Emergency Repairs -
" From Shoflo Ocean to Tundra Shores "

A week and three days had passed since the fleet set out for the Storm Wall, crossing the Shoflo Ocean at the end of the monsoon season. And as luck would have it, they got caught in a nasty thunderstorm that lasted three days and did not let up until this morning. They lost five airships and now their journey was on hold as the surviving airships organized a search an rescue mission in the high seas and the badly damaged, yet still floating ones, were forced to change course and make an emergency landing in the nearby tundra lands for repairs and to search for food and drinking water.

"No wood . . . " muttered Kenren Taisho to himself, looking through his spyglass at the bleak frozen shores. "Chenglei, organize a swift scouting party for reconnaisance." he pointed at a map of the area. "We need about four hundred units of lumber for repairs."

Kenren had called in everyone who had even the slightest knowledge of these parts, and that included Lydia, James, and Johnny. Renee was there too for scouting as she could fly, and Echo because she was a reindeer satyr and as far as Orientals knew reindeers were usually found in cold places.

"There's a forest of sequoia trees here." said Johnny pointing at a blank spot between some mountain ranges half a day's ride away from the frozen shores. "Kenren-san, this map is very outdated. There is a town called Winslow twenty miles to the north where you can hire dwarven smiths for repairs and buy herds of giant sheep and goats."

"You've been there before?" said Kenren.

Johnny chuckled. "This is my hometown."

Last edited:
"Sir!" Chenglei went off, ordering a troupe of soldiers to scout the frozen area and making sure it's safe. The men followed his orders and spread out

Renee transformed and flew in the skies to have a bird's eye view, checking if there were any flying monsters. She's really happy that she is carrying a warm and fluffy cloak because the sky is freezing!

While Echo, who wore a simple spring jacket over her usual clothing, walked around the area, being careful to not slip and fall on the black ice or ice that's practically invisible on the ground. That would be bad.

"It seems like it's safe around here, but I can't be too certain." The reindeer satyr told to the prince, her ears twitched as she climbed over a ridge to reach the group.

"Doesn't look like there's any shades in the sky either..." Renee cooed as she transformed back, crossing her arms to stay warm. The Pendragon teen didn't mention how cold she felt but at the moment all she was thinking about was snuggling with Seifer...

'Maybe I can stay with him in the warship...and go use the onssen...with bathing suits.' She still remembered about him being hands-y.

-Ricket-
"Molaje Steppes"
Ricket taught the twins the phrases that they had asked for and terms that might be useful such as cardinal directions but he figured he could wait on teaching the counting since they had a whole desert to cross. He thanked the caravan members graciously for their letter and went on his way with the others.

-Lydia Dubois-
"Shoflo to Tundra"
Lydia had spent some of the past few days talking to James about transformation magic and what he thought about it. She had half jokingly brought up the concept of changing into an owl and as she squeezed him in a hug asked what he would think about that with a silly little grin on her face. She was a bit envious of the fact that Renee could fly and Johnny could turn others and himself into mice and while transformation was not her specialty, she still found it as intriguing as any other form of magic.

She had mostly focused in evocation at home but being out in the world with an actual use for what she had studied had also broadened her interest and allowed her to utilize other forms of magic that she hadn't previously such as spell circles and implementing runes individually and not just part of a whole.

Because Lydia had read plenty of books on varying subjects, she had seen plenty of maps. The library in her family's home wasn't one filled with books on magic, much to Lydia's chagrin, and so much of the time she had spent there was spent reading the mundane books of typical society as she awaited the arrival of a new book on something she was more keen on reading about.

In other words, she was happy to help in any way she could, but as she watched Johnny very confidently point out where certain things were placed that were otherwise not marked she realized she wasn't really needed. Of course she smiled when he offered information about the town and declared it his home, 'well no wonder he knows so much about the area!'

She was wearing a thick black coat that hung to her ankles and seemed to be designed like a dress slightly as instead of staying tight against her legs, the fabric hung around them in loose flaps while the upper part was tight against her and around her neck, face, and over her head she wore a black woolen scarf so that only her large eyes could be seen.

Zer0 Zer0 Katsuya Katsuya

- James Pendragon -

"A Lydia owl . . . " James pondered, gazing down at Lydia and imagining she had tufted frills, poufy feathers, and a cute beak. 'Hoot', cooed the Lydia owl in his mind. James drew a sharp intake of breath, looking away, his nostrils flaring. Hugging her the way one would a cute puppy, he nodded, patting her head, "Your cuteness level will have me squirming on the floor."

- Baffin Coastal Tundra -

After the airships landed on the coast and Echo and Renee scouted out the shores, Kenren ordered Johnny, Chenglei, some scouts, and those who were to go with him to the mountains to talk about buying meat, chopping down trees and requesting aid from the dwarves for repairs, but before that, Johnny, Renee, Lydia, James, Serena, and Echo had to decide who was to stay with Seifer and guard the atelier. The archer wanted to go to the mountains, but Johnny point-blank refused.

"You have absolutely no manners." he said bluntly as he secured the last bundle of gifts Kenren wanted to send to Winslow to make a good impression on Butters, Meatballs, and Frey.

"I can behave." said Seifer, whose boots were buried two feet under the snow. "Come on, Caprice, I've been stuck in that warship for ages. It's so boring."

"No. Listen, why don't you help around here? Everyone's spread thin what with the rescue and all. They could use an extra hand setting up the forges and when Kenren sees how safe and not a threat you are, he may even let you use the archery range whenever you want to." reasoned Johnny.

James was busy helping secure a huge thick blanket over Pond's hulking back. The owl bear spirit wanted to walk along with the group, but the weather was too cold even for her. She even had padded leather tied about her feathered feet for warmth.

"Come on, Seifer. I'll stay with you to help make the forges, after that we can scout around." Renee piped in, her wings shivering a bit from the cold and she pulled her hood over her head. Then she leaned in to whisper in his ear, grinning teasingly. "When we're done, we could warm ourselves up at the Onsen in the warship if you like~" She leaned away so her brother does not see her suggest anything to Seifer as she rather not have her brother's over-protectiveness get in the way of being warm...and cuddly.

"I'll go with Johnny." Echo chimed, smiling as the idea of seeing her boyfriend's home is exciting. She always wondered how his hometown looked like and now this is her chance! She just hoped no one would eat her...that would be bad....

"I'll watch over the Atelier." Serena volunteered, thinking that now would be a perfect time to play and practice her new song for Seth. Maybe Hisaya would enjoy her songs too? 'We will have to see~' She thought.

Lydia wasn't really sure how to feel about Seifer maybe not going with them. She felt like maybe he should stay near herself and James because they might be better suited to help. Then again, if Renee chose to stay with him, they might not need to worry. She summoned Sasha to stay behind with Renee and asked Renee to be sure not to leave the little owl alone with Seifer, though she did so out of Seifer's range.

She the helped James make sure that Pond stayed toasty, turning her gaze on Serena as she did so, "are you sure Serena? I can stay if you really want to go..." Lydia was a bit hesitant to leave, she had some things she wanted to ask Hisaya and she also wasn't finished checking over her notes of instruction for the spell circle. She was worried that when Seifer wasn't himself that maybe he had changed something in the spell circle notes that would seal the dragon rather than exorcise it. She did want to go with the others so she was a bit torn.

Blinking a bit, wondering why Lydia would ask that, Serena then grinned. "Yea! I'll be fine. Besides, I make a good alarm system just by playing my violin." The soldiers know by now that she's the only one who plays an instrument as a weapon and they remember the songs she uses to attack.

"No worries, Lydia. I'm sure Sasha knows what to do and I'll be sure to take care of her too. She could even check and keep Serena company. That way, we'd have communications." Renee joined in the conversation, her wings under the hood moving around as if they wanted to flutter.

"Oh! and Big brother, before you go." The Pendragon sister went up to her brother and hugged him, snuggling a bit. "You stay careful, okay?" She tapped on his back in Morse code, mentioning about the soul room notes she made for him to read later when he comes back. Ever since knowing about Master Bertrand coming with them to the Storm wall, any sort of mentions about souls was always in Morse code between her and her brother. She's really cautious of the guy.

Seifer grabbed Renee's hand. "Okay, let's go." he agreed immediately. "Where they setting up those forges? --- ah, over there! I'll go ahead, Renee! --- Sumimasen!" he called as he left the group and trudged excitedly through the snow over to some men digging through the permafrost and chipping away at some boulders. "Watashitachiha tasuketai to omoimasu!" he was effortlessly fluent in oriental, though his accent wasn't quite like theirs.

Meanwhile, James hugged Renee back. "I will. You too, sis." he said patting her head. He called Sasha to him, then cast all his protective charms over the owl. She was a tough little bird, but he wasn't going to have something like before happen to her again. "Those charms won't last forever, so on the second day, please find someone who can cast shielding charms on her, Renee."

Sasha rolled her eyes and bristled her feathers as if saying he worried too much, but nibbled his ear affectionately all the same. She fluttered down on Lydia's shoulder, hopping into the spaces of her scarf to snuggle in her neck and share the warmth until it was time for Lydia to leave.

Hoot

Sasha blinked up at her with watery eyes, then began grooming her hair with her beak. Spending so much time and attention with the little owl would make anyone notice her expressions, gestures, and the different types of 'hoot' and what they mean. This one meant Sasha will miss Lydia and that she wants to groom her because she loves her. Owls show affection by grooming.

Lydia smiled halfheartedly at Serena, but nodded. She knew she could trust Serena to guard the atelier and the secrets that lay therein. She nodded to Renee when the Pendragon sister chimed in about Sasha, but she was very glad that James was as concerned as she and cast his shielding charms on their little owl. She giggled when Sasha bristled at James, but she felt the same way and snuggled her gently when she huddled into her scarf, happy to share, "I'll miss you, Sasha. Stay out of trouble," she hinted briefly and planted a soft kiss on the little owl's head.

"I will." Renee nodded, enjoying the pats on her head. She's glad that the pair trusts her with the little owl and she's not going to let them down. Though...she has to time it right: Leaving Sasha with Serena while she spends time with her silly boyfriend. That way, the little owl will be safe and Renee won't scar Lydia by accident. She's planning to ask Serena to help with the shield spells too and among the soldiers who can cast them. Hopefully that would be enough protection for Sasha.

Though she has a weird feeling that Sasha is not going to appreciate it....being that over protective...'Maybe I should summon Mica to keep her company...' Renee wondered, not realizing that Sasha might try to bite him and he would hiss at her if she does.

"Come on, Sasha..."Renee lightly called out, looking a bit sad but smiled at the group that's leaving, pulling her hood down in case the little owl wanted to snuggle into her hood for warmth.

Echo helped Johnny pack with anything heavy and holding it in place so someone can tie it down.

Laurel_D_Austin-Art_Blizzard_Lords_of_War-Durotan_01.jpg
Sasha did snuggle into Renee's hood when she called, bristling her feather's importantly and perching straight if she wanted to give the impression of strength and reliability, ready to do a good job. She had been droopy the day after she was found sleeping in the mouse hole, though it was because she was devastated to be found sleeping on the job. She wasn't like that. She took pride in being a hard worker, braving dangers, and delivering letters on time, and now was her opportunity to make up for it.

Meanwhile, James beamed when he saw Lydia kiss Sasha. Seeing her care for those he cared about just made him melt inside. He gave Pond the okay to move, and the giant owl bear stood up, twirling around to appreciate the blanket. She moved ahead of the party, cutting a way through the snow that made it easier for the rest of the group to follow.

"Baaa." bleated Butters excitedly. The giant ram was sniffing the air and after Johnny and Echo tied up a bundle of silk cloth on his saddle, went bounding off to smell the trees and rub on them happily.

"Thanks." Johnny smiled at her, "Echo will you ride with me? This'll probably be the last time we get to cuddle together before we cross that mountain ridge. After that, we're going to have to ride apart."

* * * *​

When all was ready, the group was off. They were a large group, and not exactly inconspicuous, because of all the horses in their train that were laden with gifts. Johnny had explained beforehand the ways things were done in his culture to Kenren, Chenglei, and the others. Echo probably already knew most of this.

His people were scattered along the tundra in settlements or nomadic tribes. Each land belonged to a clan, though there were no fences or signs to show who owned it. Rather, they marked their territory the way wolves do and were very protective of them. Living in a harsh land meant there was little to go around, and so they must not give off the vibe of invaders, rather visitors bearing gifts.

Some of Kenren's theatre troupe was also there and they were to sing songs as they travelled. It was a pleasant and polite way to make their presence known to whoever owned the land they were going to pass through. Wolf territories could spread across entire mountain ranges and their settlement could be more than a day away. But they had good hearing, and they will find out that there are foreigners passing through.

As for the cuddling, there was no concept of boyfriend or girlfriend in his culture. Kissing, holding hands, hugging, and even just being alone together was something only married couples do. To them it was indecent and was shameful for the family when their children even just ride on mounts together. Women could not even wear sleeveless clothes, shorts, and must cover their hair. This was the norm among Johnny's people, and he seemed keen and nervous to make a good impression.

After all, he kind of didn't follow the wishes of his parents, and instead left to study magic.

His people's understanding of magic was crude, though it has improved since they associated themselves with the dwarves in the mountains. Still they were very superstitious of it and didn't think of it a good line of work for anyone. They were a rural folk, and took pride in herding, hunting, embroidery, and recently: smithing, mining, growing mushrooms in caves, and the crafting of jewelry.

He also told them that it is polite for women to not speak when two men are talking unless they are included. Women must not talk back to a man either unless she was older than him.

"Are you alright with all of this, Echo?" he asked her as the group made their way through the snow covered hills. "I don't want you to be sad or force you to do something you don't want to do, love." Johnny would be introducing her as his friend instead of girlfriend, so that they won't be appalled because of the difference in culture. He didn't like it and was sad, but he wanted Echo to be accepted into his family, and not be seen as an indecent girl.

Renee smiled at the little owl and lightly rubbed her head as a way of showing support. "I know you're tough too, Sasha." She commented before walking over to where Seifer was working at and started to help too. However...she couldn't wait to go back inside and be warm again. The Pendragon teen really didn't like the cold.

Meanwhile riding with Johnny, Echo listened, her ears flattened. Strict rules...Really strict rules...'Thank goodness Renee didn't come with us. She would have offended everyone for speaking up.' The fawn thought, trying to not giggle at the idea of Renee actually talking back without thinking when she's angry. Never a good combination to be honest.

"Of course, Love. I might not like it, but I'm willing to go through it for you." Echo reassured him quietly, understanding what he's doing. She snuggled into his back one last time before getting off of Butters, petting his horn with a gentle smile and looked back at Johnny.

"It's okay. I don't mind walking." She needed to relax and not tense up. What better way than to walk her nerves out.

- Baffin Upland Tundra -
"Thank you, Echo Mello, but can I have one last kiss?" said Johnny, dismounting Butters.

At the back James was gloomy as he sat on the saddle, swaying with the motion of Frey's steady trot. This weather, a blanket, a book, and a fire, would be perfect for cuddling with Lydia. He sighed, and instead busied himself with conjuring his new summons: a swarm of bees. "Abeilles Venire." he waved his wand.

A black and yellow buzzing swarm erupted out of a cloud. James opened a small bottle glistening with golden brown honey labeled "Royal Jelly", and the biggest bee with a pear shaped black and yellow design on its back landed on the bottle. "Hello, your highness."

Carefully, he extended a finger tip to touch the design, withdrawing instantly when the big bee's stinger momentarily quivered. He let it eat the honey before trying again; the bee's wings fluttered open then suddenly it stayed still. James rubbed its back and the design disappeared to reappear as an arcane mark on his finger. The swarm of bees stopped flying here and there then grouped themselves together in an organized buzzing square, then they scattered in all directions, except for the big bee still on the bottle. It had stopped moving and upon closer inspection turned into stone. James closed the bottle with the bee inside, and pocketed it.

This was a much better way to scout instead of just using Sasha. Seeing the world through a bee's eyes together with ultraviolet rays was quite different from the ethereal owl's colorless vision. With a pang he suddenly missed her and wished he could see the world through her eyes one more time.

Katsuya Katsuya

Echo smiled warmly at him, waiting for to dismount and when he turned around, the fawn kissed him.

She did notice James summon so many bees and it sort made the fawn somewhat nervous. Herb training always made her remember to respect bees because they make honey... Through vomiting. Yea...it's mostly made her nervous when all of them can possibly sting him or any of them.

, Zer0 Zer0 Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle

Last edited:
All of the new scenery was so different to her. Really she had never been to anywhere so cold before, she hadn't even really been away from her hometown. Sure to the outskirts when visiting family or friends of her family that owned property outside of the city, but no further than that. She was entertaining herself with breathing fog clouds, pondering how to make a ring shape like she had seen men at the parties her parents took her to doing when they were smoking their pipes.

She paused as Johnny began talking about his culture and nodding, none of the customs sounded like anything she couldn't manage. She already had her hair covered, she always wore modest clothing (but in this weather who in their right mind would wear shorts or short sleeved shirts anyway?), and she didn't really see herself getting angry and back talking plus she was generally quiet anyway so that was easy enough.

Of course she was used to people who treated magic with a sort of cautious disdain and had learned to keep the topic to herself even though it made her sad to hear that, she could relate to Johnny in that respect which made her smile, learning new things about her comrades!

Of course she was a bit sad about all of the information that Johnny gave about couples and she smiled to herself, clutching the reigns of her horse and blushing, recalling falling asleep with James and peeked over at him as he tended to his new summons.

She listened to the theater troupe's songs a bit, picking up on melodies and lyrics before softly and cautiously beginning to sing as well. Only when she felt confident she had grasped whatever song they were singing, would she sing more loudly.

- Baffin Upland Tundra -

Johnny smiled and deepened the kiss, lifting Echo off her hooves. It took so long that everyone else passed them and Butters by. He was going to miss being intimate with her, but more so not being able to boast that she is his love; he waved for the others to go ahead. He leaned back to look at Echo, grinning, then brushed a stray hair from her face and tucked it behind an ear. He sighed, and kissed her nose, hugging her tight. He seemed sad. "When the time is right, let's tell them the truth, love?"

Katsuya Katsuya

Oh goodness gracious, he can lift her up now...

Echo wrapped her arms around his neck and shoulders, bending her legs a bit like a ballerina when lifted up. She didn't pay attention to anyone in the group passing them by as she wants to remember this. Absorb it as much as she can.

When he leaned back, Echo fluttered her eyes open and listened before agreeing. "Yes. Let's." She pecked him again.

"...I just hope they don't eat me. I rather that you do though." Echo whispered as her face turned red. Whoops...she let that thought slip out.

Zer0 Zer0

81543a43ec13986759fd6fc41f8945c2.jpg
- Baffin Upland Tundra -

Johnny stiffened and went scarlet as steam whistled from his ears. He peered down at Echo, hugged her, then in one swift movement lifted her bridal style and carried her off behind some outcropping rock. "We'll be back in ten minutes, Butters!" he said cheerfully.

"Baa?"

When the three finally caught up with the group later, Johnny was smiling and cuddling Echo before letting her go, and seemed to have difficulty pretending they were only friends when they reached the mountain ridge he had pointed earlier.

At midday, snow began to fall. This country was called the Baffin Tundra in the common tongue, and was a treeless land where the only vegetation were short stubby shrubs, sedges and grasses, moss and lichen that grew over black boulders, but as they crossed over the first mountain peak, the tundra met the forest and here they began to see scattered clumps of giant trees. Giant wild oxen grazed under these trees, eating bark and roots.

There was no sound except for the chilly wind blowing through gaping chasms half buried under the snow, and the songs of Lydia and the Orientals. James moved closer to listen to her sing as he never properly heard her sing before. She sang with the girls when they were traveling, but he hadn't paid much attention to her voice that time. This'll probably be the last time he'll get to hold her hand in a while, so he rode up with Frey and offered a hand to her, a cheesy smile on his face.

Awoooo

The horses whinnied nervously, the wolf howl sounded like it came from somewhere in the mountain, but Butters cheerfully replied with a booming, "BAAA!"

Johnny dismounted and asked the theatre troupe to stop singing. Then he cupped his hands over his mouth and howled a long piercing howl that continued to ring in one's ears even after he stopped, like water falling in the distance. It continued like that for twenty minutes, Butters bleating happily like there's no tomorrow and Johnny howling.

"We're not allowed to pass." he said finally to Chenglei who as far as he knew, was the leader of their group and Kenren's representative when they reach Winslow. "They want us to take another trail. So be it, I hope the other clans will be friendlier."

They were forced to take a steep difficult route down the mountain after that and into a forest that Johnny wasn't very familiar with as new trees had grown in his absence. Suddenly, glowing yellow eyes began popping up behind the shadows of bushes, the silhouette of a giant wolf emerged from the side of the trail blocking their way. The Orientals stopped singing.

It was as large as a bear and had jaws big enough to gobble up half a man in one bite. It stood silently, looking at the group with fierce gold eyes, tail held up high.

Johnny dismounted and approached the wolf, speaking to it in his home dialect while keeping his head bowed and not making eye contact. Slowly, other giant wolves began emerging from the trees and sniffed Lydia's bags and Echo herself.

Lydia had begun tuning everything else out, just focusing on singing the words in her gentle and resonating voice as she paid close attention to keeping in tune with the voices of the other singers, learning the parts meant for her type of voice quite easily. It seemed the singing lessons had paid off even if she hadn't really wanted to take them.

Her voice faltered slightly as James rode up beside her, happily taking his hand and smiling to him as her voice picked up again before stopping all together to the sound of the wolves. She couldn't help but giggle slightly to the response that Butters offered. She had already quieted when Johnny asked everyone to stop singing and she watched curiously as he offered a response.

Lydia was slightly stunned as Johnny said they weren't allowed to pass. She wondered if the howling had also been humanoid and not just a typical wolf. She squeezed James' hand once before releasing it, especially on account of the terrain they were about to head over. As they went into the forest and the first wolf showed itself, she wished that she was still holding James' hand, especially when the wolves started sniffing at her bags. She held her breath and tilted away slightly, unsure of what to do and looking to Johnny for tips. She took note of his body language and kept herself from looking directly at the wolves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back