Advice/Help How would we describe ourselves physically in a Sci-Fi setting?

CaptainRustbolt21

The Rusty One
I’ve always have trouble describing us Humans physically in a sci-fi setting. How would you guys describe the Human race in a physical manner?

Maybe this is a thread that should be in roleplay discussion and advice?

Anyhow, to the question, do you mean how to write prose describing the human form and human mannerisms/behavioral patterns? Or do you mean demonyms for humans?

Depends on your point of reference. Us humans describe things using ourselves, and what we grew up with, as a point of reference to describe things. If you are describing humans in a sci-fi setting, then I presume you are doing so from a non-human perspective. Take the things that perspective is familiar with and use them to describe the things they observe in humans. Think about what would stand out to those beings (or machines) and use focus on that , or at least start with that, for your description.

Maybe this is a thread that should be in roleplay discussion and advice?

Anyhow, to the question, do you mean how to write prose describing the human form and human mannerisms/behavioral patterns? Or do you mean demonyms for humans?
Jesus Christ, I am putting threads in wrong places this week

The Human form.

Depends on your point of reference. Us humans describe things using ourselves, and what we grew up with, as a point of reference to describe things. If you are describing humans in a sci-fi setting, then I presume you are doing so from a non-human perspective. Take the things that perspective is familiar with and use them to describe the things they observe in humans. Think about what would stand out to those beings (or machines) and use focus on that , or at least start with that, for your description.
Yes, exactly! In fact, that’s what I’ve been trying to do. However, this is my first ever time I’ve been describing the physical appearance of the Human race and, as I said, I have been having trouble doing so regardless. Honestly, I’ve wanted to ask this so someone here can describe the Humans for me. :/:

Yes, exactly! In fact, that’s what I’ve been trying to do. However, this is my first ever time I’ve been describing the physical appearance of the Human race and, as I said, I have been having trouble doing so regardless. Honestly, I’ve wanted to ask this so someone here can describe the Humans for me. :/:
Well, first, if we do the work for you, that kind of defeats the point, wouldn't you say?

Furthermore, as I said, it'd depend on the perspective point, let's take for instance that insectoid race from Ender's Game. They might say that humans are like many hives of only one member, that they have only one pair of each limb and same for their eyes. That they have this odd fur that is mostly gathered on their heads, and that they tiny square teeth inside their mouths, soft skin which seals the place where they would have wings, that covers their muscles and bones on the inside, odd because it doesn't give them any protection when they are in danger.

Just a quick example, but I hope it helps.

If you're doing it from an alien perspective you should consider the characteristics of the observing race and in what ways they are different from the humans. The aspects of the human species that differ the most from the alien, and stand out visually, would be the one the alien race would make note of at first glance. And the oddity of humanity from their perspective would come from their own preconceived notion of what intelligent life looks like to them on a daily basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back