Advice/Help how to tell someone i'd like to end the roleplay?

soft glamour.

brand name.
i started roleplaying with someone a couple days ago and the first few days it was great! we were both writing long paragraphs filled with detail and we put so much effort into our characters! in the roleplay, we're doing canonxoc for each other, her playing my favorite character and me playing hers. i haven't stopped putting in effort, no, not at all. i'm still putting in the same amount of effort with each reply and making sure its long enough to get a good reply from. each paragraph is at least 5 sentences each, save for shorter paragraphs which are around 1-2 sentences, but i try to make sure i have at least two large paragraphs. she was the same in the sense that she wrote a lot and was really detailed, but these past few days her replies have been 2 small paragraphs, each only around 3 sentences each. i don't want to ghost her because thats just plain rude and i don't want to be rude. should i bring it up to her that she should write more? i've already been hinting at it but she only added two more sentences to her last post.

she keeps complimenting me on how i write the character for her, and i'll be honest i'm proud of it too, but it feels more like i'm writing more for her preferences and wants than she is for mine-- it should be equal, not one person putting in more effort.

Being up front and honest is always the best thing to do. Instead of hinting it to her, some people may not get those hints, try bringing it up to her. Message her in a PM. Ask her if she could put more in with her posts. I feel that in situations like these if you can't talk about them with your partner, if you're to the point of feeling like you may not necessarily enjoy the story you are writing, then there's no point in writing together. Hopefully she will understand and put in the same effort that you do or that you both did when you started writing together. If nothing changes, however, and you feel you want to end the roleplay politely tell her so.

Last edited:
I find sometimes the best way to handle this kind of situation is to offer specific examples and simply refuse to respond until the replies are the length you're looking for. Basically tell them, "I'm sorry but I can't respond to your posts right now. If you could maybe add a bit more information I would have an easier time posting a reply." And if your partner seems stuck on what to add offer specific suggestions.

Ex. I would like to know more about what Character is thinking.
Ex2. Hey could you describe the setting a little more ? I am having trouble picturing it in my head.

What T Tove said is pretty much the way to go about this, provided your goal is to end the roleplay. If you would like to continue this roleplay, then that's a different story though.

Honesty is the best policy one way or the other. However I feel as though if you would rather continue the roleplay and just try to get your partner to post more, you might want to consider two things:
*Implementing rules
*Providing more time

Implementing, say, a size requirement for posts is one of the simplest ways of going about this, despite their infamy. Of course, not everyone takes kindly to them, and they don't guarantee a quality post, but they can at least guarantee length if that is what you're after.
As for providing more time, it may very well be that you are already being patient, but that it hasn't gotten quite across yet. I am in a lot of very heavy on detail RPs, but my 1x1s tend to receive bimonthly responses, responses which I love with all my heart mind you, but that is still a long time to wait, yet it can be needed for both length and quality. Quality, pace and length/detail are a trilema where only two can be favored, but people tend to worry that their partner will be upset by one beinng msisibg. Making sure to reassure your partner that you are willing to wait for the more complete content may help.

All that said, "I don't feel this RP is giving me enough and therefore I'd like us to go our separate ways and find more suitable partners" is a viable response if you want to call it quits. Your decision.

Either way, best of luck and happy RPing!

Just be honest. Sometimes I simply lose interest in a RP and no longer want to continue. It happens.

thank you all! i wasn't really into the rp in the first place, it seemed pretty mary sue kinda plot? and her character was lovely, but she couldn't really write consistently for her, so it was hard to pinpoint how to write interactions with her character. it would go from being super shy and aloof to all of a sudden super confident and loud even though just earlier that scene she'd been thinking stuff about how she was so scared of social interaction? i think i'm going to end the roleplay. i appreciate all yalls help though!

thank you all! i wasn't really into the rp in the first place, it seemed pretty mary sue kinda plot? and her character was lovely, but she couldn't really write consistently for her, so it was hard to pinpoint how to write interactions with her character. it would go from being super shy and aloof to all of a sudden super confident and loud even though just earlier that scene she'd been thinking stuff about how she was so scared of social interaction? i think i'm going to end the roleplay. i appreciate all yalls help though!

I think people are pretty understanding if you simply let them know. It's when their partners ghost where most of the annoyance comes in.

Sample: "Sorry but I think I'm going to leave this RP. Thank you for all your time and effort I've appreciated it. See you around and wish you luck with another partner."

Done. Leave. You don't owe anyone an explanation and you aren't required to give one. You simply thank the person and move on. If need be block them so you aren't harassed if they turn out to be that kind of person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back