Advice/Help how to make a good ad/interest check post?

cxrlyxo

you are my life now
hi, i just joined this site last night. i've had experience in the RP world and posting ads on places such as Tumblr, but this is obviously a little bit different. i'm seeing a lot of posts on here with fancy coding and tabs and stuff like that, but since i'm not super experienced with that i'm going to keep my first few interest checks sorta simple. does anyone have any tips? information and stuff i should include? things to catch eyes?

Coding has nothing to do with the effect of an interest check in my opinion. Do not feel like you are obligated to use it. Take a look around more of the interest checks to see what kinds of information they include. It will differ if you are looking for one on one roleplays and group roleplays. Most of them will include genre, types of characters, plot ideas, and other elements that you think are important.

Yeah coding is actually a draw back in most cases because it is rarely accessible to all users. Most of it for instance is unreadable on mobile devices.

As musician mentioned what you add will depend on what your looking for. As a 1x1 RPer who uses mobile to access this site here is what I look for

About You
- how often do you post (ex. Once a week, once a day, etc)
- how long are your posts (ex. Around a paragraph, a few lines, multiple paragraphs, etc)
- what pairing do you like (ex platonic, malexfemale, etc)
- what are your deal breakers (ex. No mental illness, no adult child relationships, etc)

Partner Requests
- how often do you want me to post
- how long do you want my posts to be
- do you want me to play specific characters
- do you want help planning the roleplay
- any other requests for me

Ideas/Plots
- basically list whatever ideas you want to roleplay. This can be simple pairings, a list of fandoms, or full paragraph summary of plots.

Regarding coding, while I wouldn't call it absolutely irrelevant, it's a very very minor thing. Depending on the code it can attract eyeballs, or turn away eyeballs or both. Furthermore, some of us recognize the effort put into a code as a sign of the person's willingness to put effort into making themselves more presentable and thus willing to put work in the partnership.

However, your code will rarely if ever be a make or break factor unless someone can't stand to look at it, which is a negative not a positive. Personally, I do use code, but I do it because I like to use code and I want my partners to be the kind of people who don't mind if I use code, or who may even like it. But that is personal enjoyment and tastes.

In short, code if you like to do it, don't code to try to impress. If you want to impress, focus your efforts elsewhere.

Now, for other tips regarding making an interest check:

1. The main rule you have to remember, is that you are not writing your interest check for yourselves. I like to compare an interest check to a sales pitch, where the currency is people's attention, time and dedication, and your roleplay or partnership is your product. At any time, you don't have to be good per say, but you do have to be better than the alternative. To do that, you must first and foremost understand that other people are not in for your what you gain, and aren't invested in your stuff. They may eventually come to be, but your characters, your plots, your settings, they interest your potential partners relative to how much they benefit their ideas, and they like you as a partner because of how compatible you are with THEM.
So ask yourself, what can you bring to the table for a potential partner? What is your partner's position in the plot, and how do they get the spotlight? What freedoms are you going to allow your partner?

Examples:

*A plot where your character is a prophesied hero being chased by a mysterious organization, and your partner is someone they randomly encounter is not a good plot. Not because any of the elements in it are bad, but because you entirely left out your partner's role and what makes your partner special or unique. Even being a random shmuck can work for this effect, but if you don't specify it. then you make your partner's role feel almost irrelevant, and no one likes to feel irrelevant.

*I often specify in my interest checks that my partners are allowed to take all the time they need to reply, months if necessary. This is because I am looking for long quality posts, and that will come at the expense of people's speed in producing the post. Giving my partner's the breathing room lets what I ask for in terms of posts be more reasonable.

2. Remember when I said you have to be better than the alternative? Well, I'll tell you, you probably aren't. I'm not either. We aren't better, just different. In some cases, we're worse. So how can you become better than the alternative? Narrowing down. Spread yourself too thin, and you will appeal to one. So instead, it's better to decide what kind of player you want to appeal to, and define your requirements and other rules, as well as what plots/fandoms/pairings you offer, and the way you write and format your interest check, in such a way as to make it appealing to the kind of person you want to bring along.

Examples:

*I often bring up that more detailed players want guarantees. We're simply putting more content into each post, often pouring more time into that post, and so when the other person can't respond in kind, that's a problem. Higher post requirements, in theory, counter that risk. But at the same time, they mean pushing away people who aren't ok with writing requirements or can't write that much for each post. So you have to decide which group you want to appeal to most.

*When someone tells me "I will do anything", I'm immediately out. There is no such thing as a person without preferences, and if you claim to have none, you are either lying to my face or you lack the self-awareness to recognize your own preferences. Either way, not someone I'd want to work with. When you try to appeal to everyone, you destroy the appeal for everyone.

3. Be informative and honest. rae2nerdy rae2nerdy 's questions are a very good start, so I won't elaborate much, but basically an interest check is a search for compatible partners or interesting roleplays to participate me. If it doesn't contain the information for the player to verify that they like it (and sometimes the style is even important enough to attract players in the first place) then you could very well loose them. It's also no good if you're dishonest about it though. I don't just mean to others, but to yourself as well. Can you really, consistently, provide the posts you claimed you can in the timing you claimed you can? Or can you only do it when you're "in the mood" and therefore you'll likely frequently break your promise? That sort of thing.

4. Presentation is important. I'm not talking about coding, but moreso your demeanor. You want to appear passionate and invested, you don't want to appear lazy or entitled. This mostly about making sure to add personality to your interest check rather than writing it like a shopping list, while remembering to be polite and not writing like you expect the other person to fall at your feet and beg you to play with them. This is very complicated to go very in-depth with, since each person is different and so it's borderline impossible to predict what could be added, but some basic tips:
A) Don't complain in your interest check. It sours the mood and makes you look bad from the start.
B) Avoid compelling language like "must" when referring to your partner. If the other person feels like you're trying to boss them around, chances are they are not going to like it.
C) Extremely short interest checks, as well as interest checks which basically consist of dumping a list of pairings and fandoms and hoping for the best, or in which you don't even do that and just say "give me your ideas" without adding any of your own, all are cases where an interest check looks lazy and uninspired.

Note, that I'm talking about appearance, not actual effort. Your interest check may have had a lot of heart and effort poured into it, but it could all be for naught if you make it look like that effort or passion wasn't there.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Hope this helps! Also hope I didn't write too much this time around...
In any case, best of luck and happy RPing!

this is my first interest check on here. i've made some edits, but i'm wondering if there are still things i could improve. i'd appreciate your feedback! also: tips on how to find people on here who are sort of interested in the same themes as i am?

I can remove it for you or merge this thread with your old one.

this is my first interest check on here. i've made some edits, but i'm wondering if there are still things i could improve. i'd appreciate your feedback! also: tips on how to find people on here who are sort of interested in the same themes as i am?

I think the way you’re formatting things, specifically the order, space and position go everything is a little strange, but that’s nothing egregious really. You’ve laid out your interests and needs pretty well I think, they don’t seem excessive either, and they are definitely written with passion as far as I can tell.

Overall, I’d say you’ve done a pretty good job. I would only recommend you be a bit more patient and not bump as frequently, lest you appear needy and desperate.

edit: as for finding other people interested in the things you are, I recommend reading through other people’s interest checks.

Just a question: do you guys think that there is some sort of length limit for an interest check thread? I have been writing mine, but I am afraid it looks huge. This because I like to explain precisely why certain rules are the way they are, and to clarify some concepts when it comes to those rules, in order not to come up with tense situations in the future.
Do you think that people will get bored? I think it is definitely necessary, but even so. Plus, it pains me the fact that I will have to erase part of my hard work, but still, I can understand that it might not be a good investment for most people. I put the important parts in bold, but still, I am not sure if a gigantic interest thread is a turn off when it comes to possible roleplay partners.

Unless it has to do with prompts/plot-specific matters, I'd prefer keeping threads succinct. There are so many IC threads up here that it's just more efficient to skim through the housekeeping stuff. You could always just clarify things after you've received interest. If it really can't be helped, you could just highlight the general idea (bold, larger font size, etc.) so it's easier to skim through them.

For what it's worth, it doesn't have to be a waste. At least now you've got it in writing, you have a much clearer idea of what you want.

M Mesenterium I would say less is more when it comes to pitches. People generally will ask if they have a question about something.

If you provide too much information then you run the risk of them forgetting, skimming, or just misunderstanding what your trying to say.

A good way to try and minimize is to do an elevator pitch. Give yourself let’s say one minute to get over the introductory part. (This is what I bring to the table, this is what I am looking for in a partner, etc.). If you want to go into more detail for plots that’s fine but if you can’t summarize each idea in under a minute I would skim down.

The point of an interest check is to get people hooked enough to ask questions and contact you. It isn’t meant to be too detailed as that is what the planning stage is for.

You want people to feel like they can approach you with questions, not like they have to take notes on a multi-page presentation before trying to roleplay with you.

M Mesenterium I actually meant you should read it out loud. Not only does it help you get a feel for how long it will take to explain things but reading things out loud also helps you get a feel for how your search will sound to your audience.

And to be fair you can be specific without being wordy.

ex.

Partner Requests
- must be able to write 500-1000 words
- must use a character sheet (template available)
- must be comfortable with platonic pairings (see pairings tab for specifics)
- absolutely no mental illness or sexual content (ask for details)

I mean not saying those are your specific requirements but they are very detailed and concise. With a lot of indications that you are willing to expand in PMs.

If you need help with paring your ideas down I am happy to take a look at your search and give you some ideas for a summary. If nothing else having someone else read it might help you figure out if the extra details are actually helpful.

I just did such, around 5min of reading, but maybe I am reading way too fast. Either way, I was able to sum it up even more. Still, I think it must be too long. However, I guess that good part of the interest checks might be around that size.

Yes, I definitely know that. It is just that I have some sort of difficulty in doing so.

That would definitely be helpful. Would you be willing to take a look at it? Thank you, and so sorry for bothering.

Honestly, we should just get a mega thread where people can post a link to their IC, and other people can review the thread for them. Looks like it's a pretty common request on this board.

Honestly, we should just get a mega thread where people can post a link to their IC, and other people can review the thread for them. Looks like it's a pretty common request on this board.

yes! please do that!

edit: also maybe make a place for people to submit site suggestions/things that would make life on here a little easier!

o you guys think that there is some sort of length limit for an interest check thread?

If you are writing a group interest check thread, I would say absolutely. You are only presenting 1 idea, there's only 1 choice, to partake or not to partake. You should keep things to the essential, so that everyone can not only have the good points fresh on their head but also make a decision without having to already invest a lot of their time.

It's a bit more complex with 1x1 threads. I definitely think you should make the introduction and requirements part succint, as again in those parts the person only chooses "am I or am I not interested in working with this person"? Furthermore, you don't want your requirements to seem overwhelming, generally speaking.

On the other hand, people do appreciate having their fare share of options in terms of plots and such, as the more there are the more likely one will be what they are looking for. Just make sure you are actually up to ALL the options you lay out on your interest check.

Beyond that though, I would say it depends on the kind of audience you want to attract. For instance, I want people who are patient and write large posts, who prefer a very detailed and expansive writing style. As such, I have no qualms about (in fact I almost believe I am expected to) creating a very long interest check. It's something in the structure of the interest check which serves as a filter. Yes, it will bore and throw away a lot of potential partners, but that is in fact part of the goal.

Do you think that people will get bored?

Some, but like I mentioned, it's important to consider who your target audience is. Is it the kind of person who would get bored reading something the size of your interest check?

I put the important parts in bold, but still, I am not sure if a gigantic interest thread is a turn off when it comes to possible roleplay partners.

I think bolding is a little hard to notice on its own, at least in dark mode. I think underlining and size changes are easier to notice. Changing the order to put the important stuff first, and then leave extra details for another section could also work, though then you run the risk of people skipping them due to thinking they understand already.

As I am writing a 1x1 interest check, I believe it must be worked out differently, just as you said. The whole interest check has around 1200 words if I am not mistaken. That can be a lot. I tried the best I could to keep the introduction "short", but I expanded a bit more on the requirements, as I am a somehow specific person when it comes to them, and I like to clarify them the best I can, so there are no misunderstandings when approaching me for roleplaying. It would be tremendously boring, for both of us, if the person messaging me saw after a few messages that they didn't want to roleplay with me because some of my roleplaying information, or that I wouldn't like to roleplay with them because they did not follow certain requirement.

I am a highly detailed roleplayer, and I definitely like lengthy posts, so I think that roleplayers that fall on the same spectrum might be able to put up through the whole interest check. Still, it is something that bothers me because people might even feel overwhelmed, regardless of the fact that they like writing/reading a lot or not. Hopefully, that wouldn't be the case.

I also coded slightly my interest check (it isn't "coding" per see, but I am trying), which I believe that makes it a bit hard to distinguish what is bolded or not (I believe that the font colour and the font itself might be the problem), so I'll definitely underly the bolded words too. I also added a section for mobile users, as it can come in handy, even though I believe the code is, mostly, mobile-friendly.
Thank you!

After putting them through an online word counter, my last interest check (I am currently working on a new one since the code was disabled so it's a complete mess now, but the semi-coded version, the one I add for people who would rather not go through the code or have some kind of sight problem, should still be readable) had around 1400 words just on self-introduction, requirements, and general instructions/glossary about the check. It was an interest check with a lot of options done during a busy time for me as just an update on my preferences, so I designed without care for whether it was actually appealing, and I still got 2 or 3 partners out of it. (and it also had very complex code... I took a couple days to figure out how make a roullete people could scroll through to select things like the plot... but I digress.)

Point being, I think at 1200 that's not actually that big all things considered, so there's no need to worry :)

Link is here in case ya wanna check I'm not BSing you, or are just curious what kind of monstrosity I'm even talking about: Multiple Settings - Plotting Everything: Home-Plotting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back