Character Theory How to fairly play a combo character?

NeonFlow

The one who made Aerth
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Basically I have no idea about dnd but I was wondering anyway how a character/s like banjo kazooie would work fairly in a written or table top game. Be it two or one player in charge.

A bear with a bird in its backpack that helps with mobility attack and defence. To specific honestly but translating that to the usual fantasy world of elfs dwarfs goblins etc what would be similar?

Not the same as a orc riding a wolf,
I imagine it something like a tank/warrior type with a quick/sneaky race riding/hiding on it.

Anyone seen something similar to banjo kazooie though? Two characters that overall make a combination that succeeds where it shouldn't?

As a single player, and talking about D&D specifically, reflavoring is your friend. The easiest way to accomplish what I think you’re going for is to set up something like a familiar. Just reflavor said familiar as an intelligent creature, talk with the DM about other relevant differences between a familiar and a real creature (they tend to be spirits which comes with their own sort of rules) and then make a build that’s overall more brutish but with a few select points where the “partner” helps them (in D&D 5e this might come in the form of putting your stats into more physical stuff, while at least some of your skills are put into an intelligence or wisdom skill).

Other methods would involve a similar structure - get an NPC in some way, reflavor them, and make a build that is overall more geared to one area but has a few specialized skills in an area that wouldn’t otherwise fit, representing the companion’s assistance. That being said I do think familiars have several advantages at least in 5e, as they can act in combat on their own, and use things like the help action, two things that for balance reasons are sometimes cut off from the potential actions NPCs can take mechanically. They also fit the size and shape requirements you seem to be aiming for, which should make them easier to reflavor I think.

As for free-form roleplaying, I don’t see why roleplaying a character duo like that would be an issue, if your GM allows it. The main thing to remember is to not close off the interaction to just them two, and to try to explore their dynamic proper. Oh and of course, to not make them complete each other to the point where they become too expansive in capabilities or lacking in weaknesses together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back