how to create a roleplay: part one

jinkx

amateur sleuth
Hello, my name is jinkx and I wanted to actually help somebody out on the site for once. so I decided to make another tutorial, this time to help people that are new to the site and interested in creating a roleplay. So here's part one in a part three series on how to create a roleplay. Part one will be about how to attract attention to your roleplay by posting an interest check. 

Posting an interest check is the first vital part of creating any roleplay because it's how you will attract people to your roleplay. Without an interest check, it's unlikely that people will flock to your roleplay. First of all, where do your post your interest check? Well, if you open up the homepage and scroll down, you'll find two threads that look like this:

View attachment 181009

I will be focusing more on how to create a group roleplay, however it's not too dissimilar to create a onexone roleplay, (I will create a tutorial on how to create a onexone roleplay later if people request it). Anyway, you want to click on the button that says "looking for group". Then, you will be brought to a page that looks like this:

View attachment 181011

The four different sections can be divided as so:

Fandom Interest Checks- anything based on a book, movie, tv show, video game or anything from the media that was not created by you. Roleplays in this section will either be set in the universe of the fandom with the canon characters, (for example: a Steven Universe roleplay which revolves around the characters from Steven Universe), or they will be set in a universe with all the same elements, (for example: a Steven Universe roleplay where everybody writes original characters but it is set in a similar world). 

Fantasy Interest Checks- anything that involves a strong element of fantasy. For example, anything involving magical creatures, plots that are based around magic, or roleplays with magical elements should be posted here. The roleplay could be set in modern times, medieval times, another universe entirely but as long as it contains a strong fantasy element, it should be posted here. 

Realistic/Modern Interest Checks- anything set in a modern or realistic universe should be posted in this section. If your idea is set in any kind of universe that contains either no or very few sci-fi or fantasy elements, you should post it in this section. This is where you will find your high school roleplays, your college roleplays, your slice-of-life roleplays that will likely revolve a lot around character development or a series of different plots set in the same universe. 

Futuristic Interest Checks- anything set in a futuristic setting or containing elements of sci-go should be posted into this section. Roleplays in this section will revolve around things like apocalypses, aliens, advanced technology, or anything that wouldn't fit into a realistic or modern setting. 

Once you've decided what kind of roleplay interests you the most, you can click on it and then click the button that says create topic. For example, I want to create a high school roleplay, so I will click on the realistic modern/interest sections. After that, you will be lead to a screen that looks a lot like the one below. This is where you will enter information about your roleplay for other people to read prior to joining. 

View attachment 181023

First, you will need to enter a name for your roleplay. This can be as simple or complex as you like. Some people like to use song lyrics or quotes instead of the name of the roleplay to pull people in, whereas some people will get straight to the point. In my example, I will be using the title High School Roleplay! to make sure that everybody know what kind of roleplay I want mine to be. You can also tag your roleplay to help other people find it. 

Directly below this, you will find the box that you need to type your post into. This is where you should say:

1. What kind of roleplay you're interested in. 

2. The amount of people you are looking for. 

3. How much you need your group to be able to write per post. 

4. What kind of characters you are looking for. 

Here's a quick example:

View attachment 181029

You can give any additional information about your roleplay you want (and the universe that it is set in) but these four things are the most important questions that people will want answered. Your roleplay can vary from being anything from simple to detailed and the post-length can be as long or as short as you think. For example, in a detailed roleplay, I might ask for a minimum of four paragraphs because I want people to put a lot of thought into their posts. 

Hopefully, after posting your topic, people will express their interest by posting below. They might post something that says "I'm interested" or "this sounds fun", which will give you a good indicator of who is interested in participating in your roleplay. They might also ask questions about your roleplay such as:

1. How old should the characters be?

2. Where will this roleplay be set?

3. Can I play a [kind of character]?

You will have to be able to answer questions like these.

Once you have a sufficient amount of people interested, you will be able to create a roleplay thread. I will be covering this in creating a roleplay: part two. 

View full tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

Back