World Building How to Create A Country [REDUX]

BakaTheIdiot

Viscount of Spaghetti Code
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

• A while back, I made a thread called "How to Create a Country!" in that exact title. While it was a nice rough draft, I got some feedback, and realized just how poorly done that thread was. As such, I played a bunch of games and ran some simulations, as well as done a little bit of research, and have re-approached the issue with a new mindset, and a new way of doing things. Ladies, Gentlemen, Aliens, Hollows, and other metaphysical objects of RPN, I give you:

Baka's Algorithm Mark II!

I had a few criticisms that I wanted to express, but a lot of that algorithm is really good.

The naming I disagree with. I normally come up with the name last or halfway through, as really it should represent the whole country. Say you have a country of people famous for trading and negotiating who live on the coast in a very stormy area of the continent, the Tempest Trader's Empire or the Kingdom of the Lightningtongues definitely grabs your attention a lot more than say Uplaye as the country and nation name generator would suggest for me. Base it on the people and or possible stereotypes about the people. Have a nation of people infamous for warfare and living in mountains? Rockstriker Kingdom or the Ironbreaker Confederation.

The Geography part's very good, but landmarks could be a very useful part and if you have a general idea you should really twist the geography to fit it. If the Lightningtongues are traders then they will need to be near the centre of the continent and or have access to the ocean. A bunch of traders in a valley area surrounded by volcanoes around the edge isn't going to work, but traders surrounded by nice flat floodplains and by gentle sloping beaches makes sense.

The Government part is really good, especially the scale. All I'd recommend is List of forms of government - Wikipedia though. Just so you can tie a government to a name for people to recognise. It's easy to say the Tempest Traders are a plutocratic kingdom and it'd give people roughly the right impression as to what they are: a society ruled by merchants who have a monarch.

I agree with the culture section to an extent. But culture's influenced by geography heavily. If the society exists before aircraft or advanced vehicles then a society on a mountain will be isolationist and separated from everyone else as it's easy to cross a field with a horse but you'd need some kind of tamed mountain goat and a hell of a good saddle to get down a mountain safely. But it would ruin your suspension of disbelief to have isolationists live in the centre of a continent with multiple major rivers flowing from it and ocean access as well as a lot of neighbours. You're telling me all those roads and all those canals never get used? Why have them?

Basing it on government is a very good point. If the society's militarist and secular (army-loving and not religious) then they'd love learning about new weapons and promote science to get that edge on their mortal enemies. Wouldn't their police be armed normally and more of a home guard or like state troopers then regular cops? Instead of visiting the local museum or the local café a citizen in a militarist society might go to the arena to watch a fight or two, even in sci fi. Watching genetically engineered supersoldiers fight alien abominations or prisoners of war from alien empires in an arena could be an incredible thing to see or read about, maybe it's not even real but in VR. If they are religious then would they practice rituals before going to war or go the full Greek/Roman and worship a specific God every time they did something. So pray to the God of the Hunt when you're going to get the family's dinner and so on. Also, view it from the family. Is the dad the leader of the family or is it the mother? Does the eldest have say or do they decide together? What do the breadwinners do for a job or fun? What do the kids learn? How are the old treated? Do the elderly get the Eskimo treatment or the Japanese treatment?

I had a few criticisms that I wanted to express, but a lot of that algorithm is really good.

The naming I disagree with. I normally come up with the name last or halfway through, as really it should represent the whole country. Say you have a country of people famous for trading and negotiating who live on the coast in a very stormy area of the continent, the Tempest Trader's Empire or the Kingdom of the Lightningtongues definitely grabs your attention a lot more than say Uplaye as the country and nation name generator would suggest for me. Base it on the people and or possible stereotypes about the people. Have a nation of people infamous for warfare and living in mountains? Rockstriker Kingdom or the Ironbreaker Confederation.

The Geography part's very good, but landmarks could be a very useful part and if you have a general idea you should really twist the geography to fit it. If the Lightningtongues are traders then they will need to be near the centre of the continent and or have access to the ocean. A bunch of traders in a valley area surrounded by volcanoes around the edge isn't going to work, but traders surrounded by nice flat floodplains and by gentle sloping beaches makes sense.

The Government part is really good, especially the scale. All I'd recommend is List of forms of government - Wikipedia though. Just so you can tie a government to a name for people to recognise. It's easy to say the Tempest Traders are a plutocratic kingdom and it'd give people roughly the right impression as to what they are: a society ruled by merchants who have a monarch.

I agree with the culture section to an extent. But culture's influenced by geography heavily. If the society exists before aircraft or advanced vehicles then a society on a mountain will be isolationist and separated from everyone else as it's easy to cross a field with a horse but you'd need some kind of tamed mountain goat and a hell of a good saddle to get down a mountain safely. But it would ruin your suspension of disbelief to have isolationists live in the centre of a continent with multiple major rivers flowing from it and ocean access as well as a lot of neighbours. You're telling me all those roads and all those canals never get used? Why have them?

Basing it on government is a very good point. If the society's militarist and secular (army-loving and not religious) then they'd love learning about new weapons and promote science to get that edge on their mortal enemies. Wouldn't their police be armed normally and more of a home guard or like state troopers then regular cops? Instead of visiting the local museum or the local café a citizen in a militarist society might go to the arena to watch a fight or two, even in sci fi. Watching genetically engineered supersoldiers fight alien abominations or prisoners of war from alien empires in an arena could be an incredible thing to see or read about, maybe it's not even real but in VR. If they are religious then would they practice rituals before going to war or go the full Greek/Roman and worship a specific God every time they did something. So pray to the God of the Hunt when you're going to get the family's dinner and so on. Also, view it from the family. Is the dad the leader of the family or is it the mother? Does the eldest have say or do they decide together? What do the breadwinners do for a job or fun? What do the kids learn? How are the old treated? Do the elderly get the Eskimo treatment or the Japanese treatment?
You've got really good points. I'll be sure to tweak those in later in the week, thanks for the feedback!

Best thing I've ever heard for world building is the SPERM model
To create a country, a city, a setting ect their society needs things that exemplarize 5 things (Dael's idea)
Social
Political
Economic
Religious
and Military

Have those things covered and you have almost your entire society fleshed out and helps you with good NPCs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back