How should I start my RP adventures?

ChunkyBeef

I know I'm supposed to cherish all life, but c'mon
Well to start it all off, english is not my first language so expect mistakes. With that out of the way let's begin.

Hello I am newbie to rp, like everyone has been before. Why do I want to start rp-ing? well A long, long time ago (like 4-5 years ago) I role played whit some of my friends (not for a long time) and ever since I have had the rp itch that wouldn't go away no matter how hard I tried to ignore it. I also want to start rp-ing because I like to stories that I have heard and the escapist aspect of role playing. I really want to pretend to be someone else for a bit and the internet is the best place I guess.

So, what is the etiquette, behaveiour and what should I avoid and where should I start?

Hello!

Welcome to rpnation! I'm glad you've chose to join us, and hopefully you'll enjoy yourself and fulfil your role playing desire.

Regarding etiquette and behaviour, many role players will have a set of rules on their role play posts, for example a line limit, what they are not comfortable with, how often they except a response, things along those lines. When you agree to role play with somebody you are accepting their set of rules, so if you have a problem with one of their conditions it's best to bring it up before you start role playing.

As a general rule though, most players hate their characters being controlled, some even hating it if you write their players reaction, i.e. I smiled and she blushed in response, making her look prettier than usual. There are people who are okay with this, but if they are they will usually bring it up before you start role playing together.

Also, most people have problems if you go back and edit their replies (in certain situations it is possible to edit other people's comments, but it's generally seen as rude to do so), or change your previous posts forcing them to re-write their response as it now doesn't make sense. I believe this is referred to as "God modding".

It's generally good to not make your characters "Mary sues", by which I mean they need to have flaws. Even if you doing some interdimentional God, they need to have flaws; perhaps they are ruthless, maybe they've been turned to madness and cruelty by all the knowledge they have - it's up to you. But nobody likes a perfect character.

In the same vein, don't make your character have no redeeming qualities whatsoever, or such a complete emotional wreak that the other character feels like their unpaid therapist. Try and strike a balance.

It's also seen as preferable if you can match your partners lines (or close to anyways). Its always annoying when you spend quarter of an hour writing a four paragraph response and they reply with one line. Everyone gets writers block, but still, it's disappointing.

I'll add some more as I think of them, in the mean time, good luck and have fun!

Hello!

Welcome to rpnation! I'm glad you've chose to join us, and hopefully you'll enjoy yourself and fulfil your role playing desire.

Regarding etiquette and behaviour, many role players will have a set of rules on their role play posts, for example a line limit, what they are not comfortable with, how often they except a response, things along those lines. When you agree to role play with somebody you are accepting their set of rules, so if you have a problem with one of their conditions it's best to bring it up before you start role playing.

As a general rule though, most players hate their characters being controlled, some even hating it if you write their players reaction, i.e. I smiled and she blushed in response, making her look prettier than usual. There are people who are okay with this, but if they are they will usually bring it up before you start role playing together.

Also, most people have problems if you go back and edit their replies (in certain situations it is possible to edit other people's comments, but it's generally seen as rude to do so), or change your previous posts forcing them to re-write their response as it now doesn't make sense. I believe this is referred to as "God modding".

It's generally good to not make your characters "Mary sues", by which I mean they need to have flaws. Even if you doing some interdimentional God, they need to have flaws; perhaps they are ruthless, maybe they've been turned to madness and cruelty by all the knowledge they have - it's up to you. But nobody likes a perfect character.

In the same vein, don't make your character have no redeeming qualities whatsoever, or such a complete emotional wreak that the other character feels like their unpaid therapist. Try and strike a balance.

It's also seen as preferable if you can match your partners lines (or close to anyways). Its always annoying when you spend quarter of an hour writing a four paragraph response and they reply with one line. Everyone gets writers block, but still, it's disappointing.

I'll add some more as I think of them, in the mean time, good luck and have fun!

Thank you very much for telling me these general guide lines, and this very warm welcome! :D

Users who are viewing this thread