Chitchat How Roleplaying Contributed to my DID

Reverend Ram

Now, this may not be the case with everyone else with DID who roleplays, but I know this was my own personal experience, so take everything with a grain of salt.

But I grew up very neglected. I was raised Southern Baptist and taught to never go on the internet, but growing up, I was not allowed to ever hang out with friends outside of school, because I was always too depressed to be able to do my homework.

Eventually, I found roleplay, or at least found a word for it. I'd always pretended to be things like dragons or werewolves or vampires on the playground, so it was cool finding a community where I could escape my rather shitty life at home.

But anyway, it led me to fully flesh out all these characters, to the point where I started hearing their voices in my head when I wasn't even roleplaying. They gave me life advice, and for some of them, I had no idea where they had come from.

But I believe, that though I have had non-human alters since before the internet, the internet most certainly aided in a lot of my system being personalities of characters from tv shows or video games, because I would roleplay as them and pretend to be them, because I was neglected, and never allowed to actually find out who I was as a person.

It's certainly not the cause of my DID, but it absolutely contributed to a big part of it.

-Baradiel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back