Viewpoint How old is too old or too young to RP? Does it really matter?

Hello everyone

I was wondering if 27-28-29 years olds are too old for Roleplaying. What do you think? Personal opinion I think age is just a number. What do you think?

I was wondering if 27-28-29 years olds are too old for Roleplaying. What do you think? Personal opinion I think age is just a number. What do you think?

I've merged your thread with an existing one on the same topic. Which pretty much proves your point XD A lot of users mentioned here that age is just a number, you're never too old to rp as a hobby.

It certainly can affect what you rp and who you rp with (for example many adults prefer to not rp with minors and gravitate towards people of the same age), but as long as you're enjoying it you'll always find someone to rp with.

Hello everyone

I'm kind of curious as to why people think it might be too old?

Is there someone out there hobby-shaming people? What's going on?

Is playing video games at 27-29 years old too old? How about DnD? Fanfiction? Literary clubs?

Tons of people in the 20-30 crowd still hanging around and going strong.

I'm kind of curious as to why people think it might be too old?

Is there someone out there hobby-shaming people? What's going on?
I feel like there is always someone somewhere hobby-shaming people as soon as they graduate and their hobbies turn out to be different from work - chores - sleep.

Is playing video games at 27-29 years old too old? How about DnD? Fanfiction? Literary clubs?
That reminds me, quite a few contemporary authors grew from fanfiction, DnD and roleplaying.

I feel like there is always someone somewhere hobby-shaming people as soon as they graduate and their hobbies turn out to be different from work - chores - sleep.

That reminds me, quite a few contemporary authors grew from fanfiction, DnD and roleplaying.

Oh yeah those teenagers who think no one over 21 should have any fun at all. I guess I'm just surprised that people listen to them.

Tons of people in the 20-30 crowd still hanging around and going strong.

Not to mention the over 30s!

I would say MOST of the media whether it's anime, books, video games, card games, board games, etc are all created by adults. So you tell me if age matters? I'd say grown-ups are BETTER at creating and getting things done with their hobbies. If you are doing something you like why do we need to be limited by our age? I'm old as fuck but I still play Pathfinder and watch animated shows and occasionally play videogames and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Oh yeah those teenagers who think no one over 21 should have any fun at all. I guess I'm just surprised that people listen to them.
There are also people who think that having a hobby like roleplaying when you're over 13 is childish or just plain stupid. And in those cases when parents or friends are authorities and express such opinions, well... Hobby-shaming at its best. No wonder a lot of users keep saying they don't tell their families and friends that they roleplay.

I'm 32 and I've been RPing since I was like 10, there is ABSOLUTELY no max cap. No age is too old to be RPing, but as a person gets older they need to be more aware of the ages of the people they're writing with. Friendships tend to develop between writing partners, and the truth of it is that someone in their 20's-30's or older absolutely should not consider themselves friends with minors. Not to say they can't talk at all, but I was a kid who latched onto older writing partners, and now that I'm older I know that must have made them uncomfortable.

As far as minimum ages... I dunno. I started young myself, but I ran into a lot of shady people, and it could have gone a lot worse. Granted, it was a very unmoderated chatroom (AOL chats in the 90s), but if young people are going to be RPing I think it should definitely be within their own age groups on moderated, age-appropriate forums. I know that probably sounds like less fun for minors (it did to me) but it can get dicey for adults. The responsibility is definitely on older writers to know who they're RPing with.

There are also people who think that having a hobby like roleplaying when you're over 13 is childish or just plain stupid. And in those cases when parents or friends are authorities and express such opinions, well... Hobby-shaming at its best. No wonder a lot of users keep saying they don't tell their families and friends that they roleplay.

Well sucks to be them that they have a life devoid of creativity and enjoyment. XD

Since a lot of people in my circles know about things like DnD now that it's become hip, it's a lot easier to say that you roleplay as a hobby. I certainly don't keep it a secret, but then most of my friends and acquaintances are nerds and/or creatives.

I think that 12 is too young. And maybe 40 is too old, unless you're with other 40-year-olds. It's just a little creepy sometimes, you know?

I've tried to rp with 40+ year olds, and I didn't get the best results. From my experiences, they're a bit rusty, and they think of some weird things that creep me out.

I've tried to rp with 40+ year olds, and I didn't get the best results. From my experiences, they're a bit rusty, and they think of some weird things that creep me out.

Yes, but you're like ... 12-15 years old. (My guess, sorry if I'm way off-base there.) So obviously it will not be a good fit for you, but that doesn't mean its a universal bad thing.

Yes, but you're like ... 12-15 years old. (My guess, sorry if I'm way off-base there.) So obviously it will not be a good fit for you, but that doesn't mean its a universal bad thing.
That's a bit off track of my age. I'm okay with so much, and I fit into rps that 3?-year-olds come up with. My friends played with me in the rp, and they're the most immature beings I know (other than my grandfather). They found it pretty cool, but it was extremely uncomfortable. I guess everyone's responses on here just depend on what kind of people they're adjusted to, not much on age.

40-year olds can be as immature as 5 year-olds sometimes lol Which still doesn't invalidate the fact that it's usually more comfortable for people to rp with partners closer to their age group, especially for 1x1. For group rp it's a bit easier.

40-year olds can be as immature as 5 year-olds sometimes lol Which still doesn't invalidate the fact that it's usually more comfortable for people to rp with partners closer to their age group, especially for 1x1. For group rp it's a bit easier.

Let's call em out by name. It's Simon. XD

I feel like it is often better to rp with people closer to your age,although once you're over a certain age it gets les important and compatibility of interest personality and writing style/ability become more so. As an adult I have friends irl who are 20 years older than me and fifteen years younger, but when I was a teen I only really was friends with people my own age, and part of this is because of developmental stages, and part about what you're used to. At any rate I think as long as everything else is compatible age isn't a deal breaker, unless it's adults RPing with minors which is a big can of worms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back