Tech How much time do you guys spend online on Average?

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
For me I found I spend around 7 or so hours average online per day, and around 36 hours or so in a week. With the advent of media and technology more and more people are spending their time with screens. And some studies have shown more and more people are spending maybe 10 to 11 hours attached to their screens. I love roleplaying to be honest with you. And I think it does help my writing skills, but I also feel like it also increases the amount of time we spend on screen. As a lot of my time is spent writing up replies. Though in terms of screen time many say that “productive” use of screens do not count towards screen time, which isn’t exactly fair as who’s to say what “productive” use is? That and internet and social media has been made to be bad for mental health, while streaming and watching movies is seen to be less of a sin than it was before this era.

Personally I want to cut down on screen time and find things that do not require use of a screen. Writing, as much as I enjoy it more often than not does require you to stare at a screen than type, rather than traditional handwriting which makes it hard to get away from the screen. I find myself, relying on a screen too much, which is why I want to cut down. Though, with how I live and my major being graphic design, I don’t think that’s really possible. As design requires interaction with a screen. Which makes it a double edged sword, in many ways. And I wonder if any RPN users feel the same as I do, too much of their life is spent online.

Note that I don’t use much social media, a lot of my media use is entertainment based, like Netflix, Youtube, Disney Plus, geared towards streaming and viewing content. Rather than chatting and updating socials. And that isn’t very healthy either, as it is. But for me, watching content is a good form of relaxation and escapism.

It's hard to get away from screens for sure, I'm a designer and work at a computer for my job and also play games sometimes plus goof off on here. That's A LOT of screen time per week and I can tell when it's time to take breaks, I think that balance is the key to anything and everything. Enjoy your screen time, but also go do stuff without them even it's going for a walk or to the gym or reading a chapter of a book.

It depends, since I don't watch much TV and don't play many video games, online is really one of my few pieces of entertainment. So, I would put it at five hours or so a day, longer on holidays, where I don't have to do much. This is just speaking of entertainment, when I worked at my old job, I spent eight hours a day looking at a screen, then I would go home and look at a screen some more. When I was working out, that cut down on the time, but since I have lapsed, screen time has gone back up. My school work also adds to the time, since most of my work and studying is online.
Now that I think about it, that probably explains why my computers have lasted as long as I like. (I sear, it's not the viruses from the shady websites I visit.)

Do not use me for any metric or statistical generalizations, I am a bit of an outlier.

4 hours approximate, per day, allocated towards sleep; sporradic.
3 hours exact, allocated towards physical exercise (gym, jogging, stretching).
Remainder; online (110~ hours)

My schedule looked a lot more busy couple years ago, but I ran into the wall, so to speak.

Of course I'd love to change things, but when it comes to me, it isn't quite so simple as going outside.
There isn't much else to do, in my case, but to go online.

Neither do I see screentime as a negative, so long as you maintain a healthy body. The only reason you might feel bad from it, is if you do something you do not feel good from doing. This might of course seem obvious, but it can become rather complicated when you "have to keep up with your socials," "take pictures to show off with your friends," "talk with your friends all the time" even when you might be feeling like a dumpster. Doing things you like to do online, I feel, is productive.

Basically from 1 PM - 12 on a slow day with nothing to do really. Usually from 5 pm and varying between 12 - 3 AM. All I use is this site, a gaming platform, and I also draw and work online. Originally the time was spent writing and RPing on here but now the time to get everything "just right" takes longer when my community for here tends to mentally degrade midway through and tries to kill it. Originally also watched YouTube but I can't do that on this device. I think its great though that you're choosing your own path of how to conduct your own life, rather than following what some random guy probably also online is telling you indirectly how to do it. That is in the end what matters in this question. I may elaborate as well as opinionate below the usual problems faced, when some outside party tries declaring this an issue. For summary:

Past self opinions on the matter, if the body, mind, and social life, granted if the person still has or at any point had a social life, is doing as anyone else is or better, but chooses to dedicate life to technology, a screen, a person, etc, than why care what someone probably doing the same as you thinks you should spend your time? And if its more of an addiction such as negative social life or degrading your body in terms of not eating, etc, then an action should be taken but on that particular individual under the context of helping them. Also, a entertainer like a youtuber usually entertains people. Some people need that or some other thing for purposes of hope, just imaging someone there with them, to get past hard times, etc. Therefore, it is logical to state that even the smallest of things contribute to society. Even if you don't, what happens if your content inspires someone who will? Or someone is still alive merely because you exist? You thus contributed in all scenarios.

Below this is the expanded detailed version. Not really necessary if the summary is good enough for anyone reading this. Its 7 what I nickname command walls or paragraphs. Pretty much something over a certain set of lines, but not all are the exact amount of lines.
Because of all the moving and original job jumping, I had to use the internet to complete the rest of my education! I didn't have a choice in any of this besides actually picking up a device. Because of this, if my job gets rid of me I can actually find one physically. Albeit around here the definition of job is more so "do what I say regardless of what I say or do to you or get fired." It isn't as bad as it sounds, is mostly just favoritism, inexperienced maniacs in the upper hierarchy, and some even fire talented workers just because they wanted a prettier person in, regardless of gender. This usually resulting in bad practices, and breeds the environment of paranoia because merely helping even a higher up with their own job is detrimental. We all go through it anyway because no other option exists anymore. So saving up and being attached to a screen is especially in my case keeping me from being homeless. I gladly would spend an entire day and night writing forms, giving my friends commissions, yada yada. I'm not going out there.

Pretty much don't have an option beyond that. I prefer having potentially my eyesight degraded, or sitting through how reading history or communicating with friends online is apparently "desensitizing" and somehow some call it a disorder, rather than go outside when not necessary. Reason is pretty sane and clear: where I currently live is practically a "bad things waiting to happen" area. Its simply not safe to leave, and all my friends both met physically and not are online after all these moves. My work is online. I ain't getting stabbed or shot by some random tattered punk because someone says its unhealthy. Regardless of the personal rambo jokes I make. Pragmatically, its safer, less stressful, and more informative than most people that also live here. I plan to save up enough to get the hell out of here.

Finally, as long as one keeps the body up and maintained, I don't personally see the problem. Again originally, when the power goes out, I would exercise by turning on a old CD player and listening to songs like Najubes feather, and either dance randomly, do jumping jacks, pushups, etc. If I had silence, I read or commit to dance that I called interpretive but probably wasn't. Albeit it was more so like watching a paralyzed rat. If the mind is sharp, body able, and you don't need medication, it all seems fine and dandy to me. Honestly, I preferred being a musician at one time mostly a drummer, all I got was a piano we got rid of years later but never really used too much. Though makes beautiful music. Another I wanted to contribute directly to society such as one of the "sciences" as some call it now. Eghh. More so interested in astronomy and all. Never had the money to do it, never was living close enough to anywhere capable to go through with it. At least I have something I'm happy with. That is all I want. One thing and that only, im keeping it regardless of what some neighbor hippy tells me. By technicality, this opens a second question:

If a person is happy, their mental, social if still or even had one, and physical life is standard or at a peak if they constantly "build upon" themselves, and they are not hurting anyone at all, why should it be considered a problem? It is the person's choice to decide what they want to do with their own life under these categories. Now if they are addicted and blowing off their life, neglecting others, etc, then I do so believe an action should be taken.

Even if you are a youtuber for example, you are or are trying to provide entertainment to people. This contributes to society. Some people don't even watch the videos, just listen to the creator just so they imagine someone with them. Entertainment forms, writing physically or online, even a three minute conversation with a stranger gives that person something to hold on to, look forwards to, or help them through hard times when nothing or no one else can. [Or say beyond parents, the rest of the family couldn't care less if you got Rasputined.] Therefore it is a contribution to society. Even the smallest thing on here can impact someone's life out there and vise versa. This means by another technicality, there is no true difference to the choice made. Besides, let's look at it in a potential job values way to end this message off:

For a lot of people, even if far better off or more than someone else, would one rather choose dealing with being what equals to a stay at home worker, like taking a chance for greater and wider reaching things, such as you tubing, streaming, taking a chance at forming communities on a service that is farther reaching and quick, or even trying to be like one of those stay at home online teachers? Or, would you take a shot to use a highly prized degree and experience to try working at a high paying job to be a boss, engineer, scientist, or even run your own business and have a high chance of getting stuck as a backroom Walmart guy that barely gets paid enough to pay their troubles, or worse, stuck as a guy working as a belhop or fixing food at a desert roadside sonic or something and feel worse off than you started? Not everyone even if they are more than qualified for the job will get it. Some need two jobs. Some try taking a chance online and a real job. Some just online.

Fact of the matter is, people not only are attached and deeply engraved into technology, but for livelihood they need technology. They need the screens. They need something that gives them hope. It isn't good enough to just go and stay out there anymore. Others with sustainable businesses or jobs at higher positions don't need it as much, but they too also understand that it could all go away. There is no advantage, no right way of life, no correct and sustainable path to do any of this. Thus those that can or choose to lessen the time with technology in general, as well as the opposite and in between parties are in the same boat. For me, I'm staying for as long as it helps me. Also with how I am and how I tend to forget some things if it isn't used in my daily life would have to relearn cursive. Even when I was good at it I found it to be an outdated tradition necessary for livelihood but never used. Don't need that online. Though not as safe. Alternatively I'd prefer giving blood or something else than cursive handwriting. Practically does the same goal, identifying if the person accepting, writing, etc something is actually them.
And now for me to return to my in character and endless references.

Im westen nichts neues.
Through the fire and the flames, we shall carry on!

I would say most of the time I'm online. Not counting things like pulling my phone up during breaks, I can reliably be around from 14h00-01h00 on days when I'm not particularly busy, though a good chunk of that period is spent multitasking, so while I'm doing things online (Specifically watching videos and the like) my attention is mainly focused elsewhere, with those videos or whatever it may be being more background.

I would say that if I tallied up the time that I actually spend on the net, it'd be maybe closer to 7-9 hours a day on weekdays, and maybe 10-12 hours on weekends. A lot, I know, but I think one would be remiss to lump everything one does online as just 'doing one thing', especially in a modern era. What was once 'talking to friends', 'playing games', 'reading', 'watching tv', 'deskwork', and many other things, while they still exist in a (for lack of a better word) "offline" capacity, all have their own versions online, to just name a few examples of what an amazing technological combination computers and the internet are.

PS: Then again, personally I also think I spend a lot less time than what I mentioned "online" simply because half of that time my actual internet is either dead or so close to dead that it might as well be. Lately especially, I can't seem to be able to watch something like a 3 minutes video without having to wait 15 on lag alone.

It's a delicate balance.

A lot of my life is spent online. Texting my boyfriend? Online. Talking to friends? Online. Doing work? Online. DND? Hell, even that's online, nowadays. But my life offline is demanding and equally important to me. So I get on in my free time, and while I don't have as much time as I wish I had for writing or simply idling around online, I find myself checking what I'm interested in a lot, response or not!

Hm. Guess I just described a lurker.
(I spend about 5-7 hours on my phone, for a more statistical response.)

Since I'm pretty much dried up in my RPs, I don't spend a lot of time online and most of the time I do spend online is either searching for RPs or dicking around on Reddit. Occasionally I'll use Twitter from my laptop only

I'm also in the army in a job whose almost sole focus is screen time, plus I need to keep my phone on loud at all times in case my chain wants to call me in for whatever bullshit they want me to do.......... so the only time I'm not at a screen or have access to a screen is on weekends, where I still have to keep my phone on me, but I can actually safely assume that they don't need to speak with me.

If I'm doing an RP, my screentime shoots throught the roof and I will be on in the weekends. If I'm dry, that screentime turns into some fraction of the time gaming instead

I actually don't know since it's broken up throughout the day, usually via mobile.

Online is sort of merging with modern life. Most people are "online" in some capacity 24/7.

If I had to be honest here, I probably spend 12 or more hours online. Although I don't often find myself with roleplay to remain preoccupied, it's almost second nature for me to stay connected. It's admittedly strange though since I don't have any friends or circles for the time being. Still, it's fun nonetheless exploring and playing COD or something to keep me busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back