Other How many times can you bump an rp before you look desperate?

Sunstone

This sentence is false.
i was wondering, if you've got 20 replies and they're all bumps... Does the person look desperate? I kind of think they do, thoughts?

It depends on the time gap between bumps. Some people use one thread they've had for ages and merely update it with relevant information. That doesn't seem desperate to me, it's just a preference of theirs and the bumps add up over time. If they bump the thread every hour, though, then yeah, it does seem a bit desperate.

Calling a person who bumps one thread desperate is the same thing as calling advertisers desperate. The more one puts themselves out there, the more chances someone who would actually be interested, sees it.

I wouldn't call it desperate. As someone who bumps their thread about every few days, I usually do so because there are certain subjects I wish to write but haven't found someone to do so with yet. Another is that some of my partners might have disappeared and I now have a few openings. Finally, in connection with the first reason, if there is something- say a fandom that I really want to roleplay, then I might look to do that particular subject with more than one person. But, those are my personal reasons, and someone else could easily have different reasons.

It depends on how often they are bumping it. I am cool with bumping it with a week time gap, but if they are bumping it once every day (or more) that is when it is a problem.

I created a "multiverses" roleplay and bumped it from time to time until I gave up. People simply weren't interested.

Think about bumps as "adversitements" as someone else before me said. It's a way to let other people know of your work/product.

My perspective is that it looks more impatient than desperate. If I see someone bumping threads up within a short period of time, or if all the posts in a thread are "bump", it comes across that either they are too impatient to be compatible with my usual laid back pace, or that they want to be on the front page at all times (and therefore will likely expect their roleplay to be a top priority in their players' life). Neither of those things are inherently wrong, but I'm somewhat glad that it's usually so obvious that this will be their perspective since I can avoid roleplays that don't suit my personal play style.

it gets bad when they start spamming others but I'm guilty of this I get bored and look for rp but I don't spam others in their pm for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back